(Topic ID: 212775)

Joker Poker Club -- Feel Free to Chime In!

By TractorDoc

6 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 321 posts
  • 82 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 days ago by Santis
  • Topic is favorited by 40 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

pasted_image (resized).png
PXL_20240320_163011417~2 (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240320-094152 (resized).png
1280px-Gtb-sys1sys80-coinbox-15 (resized).jpg
gtb-22227+ (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240301-143556 (resized).png
PXL_20231205_223306989 (resized).jpg
IMG_1182 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3545 (resized).jpeg
Pinside_forum_6800749_0 (resized).jpg
45199CDD-2D1C-4414-83CB-5F94CC58FBB5 (resized).jpeg
20221207_192014 (resized).jpg
20221207_190208 (resized).jpg
pasted_image (resized).png
apron (resized).JPG
20220226_160241 (resized).jpg

There are 321 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.
#51 5 years ago
Quoted from ZNET:

It's hard to find fault with either version, in my view. If the solid state version was never created, the EM game would nonetheless still rank among the very best EM multiplayer titles, I suspect.
As much as I like the SS version, I prefer the sensibility of the EM version. The EM's backglass composition is more appealing to my eye, with its cluster design of score reels as opposed to the symmetrical design on the SS.
The larger-sized array of playing cards on the EM backglass adds dimension, which is arguably more interesting.
Likewise, the EM reels simply look better than the vacant black abyss of the SS counterpart when the game is turned off.
Last, the EM's backbox better displays the backglass with its artistic graphic on the lower horizontal. The absence of that graphic on the SS disjoints the head from the cabinet, diminishing the aesthetic value, in my opinion.
There are few titles in which I would want both the EM and SS versions. Joker Poker is one such title. Each version possesses distinct attributes.

Personally, the SS is a better player. I guess it depends on if you want to look at it or actually play it.

#52 5 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

Personally, the SS is a better player. I guess it depends on if you want to look at it or actually play it.

I am likely in the minority opinion, here. I prefer the EM gameplay. The resetting drop targets and enhanced bonus features of the SS version, etc. are subordinate to the clickety clack of the EM, for me. In fact, I prefer seeing my rare accomplishment (all targets dropped and remain that way) as I shoot for the upper rollovers and the lonely stand-up target. For some, less is more.

1 month later
#53 5 years ago

Taking my SS to TPF this year, any easy ideas on how to rig it for free play?

#54 5 years ago

Just set your replay score low enough so players will get free games, I'm assuming you have the original mpu.

3 months later
#57 4 years ago

been wanting an EM joker poker for awhile and realized they're pretty hard to come by so i set my sights on an SS version and was glad to hear that the game play is a little better on the this version. one came up locally and was in pretty nice shape so i picked it up. it doesn't work at the moment because of board issues so i ordered a Pascal 4 in 1 board, a CPR playfield and backglass. looking forward to rebuilding and playing it.

#58 4 years ago
Quoted from beadwindow:

been wanting an EM joker poker for awhile and realized they're pretty hard to come by so i set my sights on an SS version and was glad to hear that the game play is a little better on the this version. one came up locally and was in pretty nice shape so i picked it up. it doesn't work at the moment because of board issues so i ordered a Pascal 4 in 1 board, a CPR playfield and backglass. looking forward to rebuilding and playing it.

I was surprised to see that CPR still had the Joker Poker playfields in stock.

#59 4 years ago
Quoted from plowpusher:

Vic that would be the number #1 score if you entered it under the Joker Poker ss game. I find this game a hard one to master whats your secret.

The way I get to achieve extremely high scores on my games are by playing 20 to 30 games consecutively. When I get a new game in and shop it out and fine tune it, I normally can't stop playing it for days and weeks at a time.

I think when a player plays 20 to 30 consecutive games each day for a week or more, they are bound to get a tremendous high score on one of the games.

#60 4 years ago
Quoted from woz:

I was surprised to see that CPR still had the Joker Poker playfields in stock.

according to the site, they’re sold out of gold but still have bronze and silver.
haven’t received a shipping notification yet so we’ll see.

1 week later
#61 4 years ago

Hello, I just purchased a joker poker SS. Does anybody know what hardware is used so the backbox main door on joker poker can close? Mine is being held closed with a small nail. Thank you for your help.

#62 4 years ago

Here’s some photos. The inside door closes and stays close just fine with the clamp. It’s the main backbox door that won’t stay securely shut? The backbox doesn’t have a lock on it either, but I don’t even know what the lock would do? I think I’m missing some parts?

BA586C30-B802-43DD-ABC9-6D77ED7DDF15 (resized).jpegBA586C30-B802-43DD-ABC9-6D77ED7DDF15 (resized).jpeg2E3BADBE-4207-4C94-8A48-A965E804C99F (resized).jpeg2E3BADBE-4207-4C94-8A48-A965E804C99F (resized).jpeg516733EF-DD8B-4DE4-8C63-26286DE792D0 (resized).jpeg516733EF-DD8B-4DE4-8C63-26286DE792D0 (resized).jpeg42FEE239-BA7D-4839-B360-EF39ACADDBA3 (resized).jpeg42FEE239-BA7D-4839-B360-EF39ACADDBA3 (resized).jpegFDD1C556-CB4B-4A25-ADA3-387C134B6DBD (resized).jpegFDD1C556-CB4B-4A25-ADA3-387C134B6DBD (resized).jpegF79E0ED6-4685-41BC-A27A-0D7427DCC099 (resized).jpegF79E0ED6-4685-41BC-A27A-0D7427DCC099 (resized).jpeg
#63 4 years ago

yes, you are missing the whole locking mechanism. I saw a setup for that for sale recently, but I don't know where if I run across it I'll let you know. attached is what it looks like. that machine (hulk) has a pascal all-in-one board which is why you don't see any boards in the picture.

IMG_20190417_054118336 (resized).jpgIMG_20190417_054118336 (resized).jpg
4 weeks later
#64 4 years ago

Looking to add a Joker Poker to the lineup. Prefer reasonable driving distance from SE Wisconsin. Projects considered.

1 week later
#65 4 years ago

Joined the Club today!

Robert

IMG_20190526_101451 (resized).jpgIMG_20190526_101451 (resized).jpg
#66 4 years ago

looks very nice!

does your phone brand all your photos?

#67 4 years ago

Just joined the club finally. This is a fun game. I completely shopped the heck out of it and installed LEDs. Has the NiWumpf and I put in a playfield protector to smooth the cupped inserts.

I noticed its set up for 5-balls and it gives extra balls instead of free games. It also seems easy to get extra balls with the ABC and/or drop targets. So I have some questions for other owners:

How many balls is yours set to?

Extra balls or replays?

Extra balls disabled?

20190526_174936 (resized).jpg20190526_174936 (resized).jpg
#68 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Just joined the club finally. This is a fun game. I completely shopped the heck out of it and installed LEDs. Has the NiWumpf and I put in a playfield protector to smooth the cupped inserts.
I noticed its set up for 5-balls and it gives extra balls instead of free games. It also seems easy to get extra balls with the ABC and/or drop targets. So I have some questions for other owners:
Extra balls or replays?
Extra balls disabled?[quoted image]

Hey, John! Welcome to the club!

This is the one solid state game I keep on 5 balls because of the rules. I have extra balls on, but it takes a VERY solid shot to my target to register. With my Pascal board, I have it set up to one extra ball per ball allowed.

Hope to see you at Point Monsters!

#69 4 years ago

It looks like there are some similar options on the Ni-wumpf board. Seems like the game is plenty tough even on five ball, so I will leave that on along with one extra ball per ball. I will swap it to replay instead of add a ball though.

Quoted from tktlwyr:

Hope to see you at Point Monsters!

I should be there!

#70 4 years ago

I was playing a game on my joker poker today and in the middle of the ball the tilt game on, when I wasn't jiggling it or anything.

I turn the power off and back on and the game won't start.

When I turn it on player number one display shows 3 3 9.

Any help would be appreciated, since this is my first gottlieb machine.

Robert

#71 4 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

In the club! I'm in the process of finishing up the restoration. I hope to have it finished within the next two weeks. The game was ROUGH but solid.
It has a new playfield and backglass by Classic Playfield Reproductions, new plastics, drop targets, posts, lane dividers, pop bumper bodies, lamp sockets, etc from Pinball Resource. All the metal has been re-plated or polished. The cabinet had the bottom replaced and fixed any visual imperfections. Pinball Pimp stencils were used for the repaint. The lamp insert board was dirty and was swelling in certain parts. I was able to cut the swelling down with a razor blade, sand it down and refinish it with a white tinted shellac based primer.
Pretty much what's left to do is clean the transformer board and harness, rewire the lamp insert panel with new ground braid and lamp sockets, install the Boston Pinball LED displays, fix some pins on the coin door harness and install the harness on an NOS coin door body. The old boards are out and it will be powered by Pascal Janin's PI-1/X4 board. I expect to play it soon!
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]

wish mine was getting an overhaul like this. I do have a CPR glass in mine tho. Looks great. Nice work.

#72 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Extra balls or replays?
Extra balls disabled?[quoted image]

and what a perfect LED job done. Kudos to you.

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

wish mine was getting an overhaul like this. I do have a CPR glass in mine tho. Looks great. Nice work.

You could sell it to me instead...

#74 4 years ago
Quoted from John_In_WI:

You could sell it to me instead...

or you could come over and play mine.

#75 4 years ago

Got mine a couple of weeks ago. Still cleaning it up. Need to remove the bumpers to get rid of the old mylar platters and touchup and replace. Good condition. Backglass has minimal flakjng abd some crackimg. A repaint not planned right now. Great game.

20190515_124246 (resized).jpg20190515_124246 (resized).jpg20190527_151648 (resized).jpg20190527_151648 (resized).jpg20190515_143328 (resized).jpg20190515_143328 (resized).jpg20190525_221240 (resized).jpg20190525_221240 (resized).jpg

#76 4 years ago
Quoted from CaptainNeo:

Thanks, Neo!

#77 4 years ago

OK so I have some strange issues. Keep in mind the game has a Ni-Wumpf board in it.

1) The game is set on 5-balls, but the order of spotting the drop targets is wrong. It goes 10, A, Q, K, A. It should go 10, J, Q, K, A according to everything I have read and the instruction cards.

2) The tilt barely registers at all. I literally have to hold it over touching and then it tilts. I tried both settings for switch scan speed on the Ni-Wumpf and cleaned the plumb bob and ring. You can slide the game back and forth while playing and it won't tilt.

#78 4 years ago

Just finished restoring mine.

20190112_083216 (resized).jpg20190112_083216 (resized).jpg20190112_083232 (resized).jpg20190112_083232 (resized).jpg20190112_083451 (resized).jpg20190112_083451 (resized).jpg
#79 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

OK so I have some strange issues. Keep in mind the game has a Ni-Wumpf board in it.

Update: OK so I was looking at the documentation in the machine and found a receipt for the NI-Wumpf MPU from PBR dated March of 1996. That means this MPU is now 23 years old and the one that it replaced was only 18 years old when it was removed! Anyway, I'm figuring this board either has issues and/or really early firmware that are causing problems. I might just chuck it into my ever growing pile of old boards and put in a Pascal (Flippp) MPU. I sent an email to Ace at Ni-Wumpf to see if there is a new ROM he can send me...

#80 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Update: OK so I was looking at the documentation in the machine and found a receipt for the NI-Wumpf MPU from PBR dated March of 1996. That means this MPU is now 23 years old and the one that it replaced was only 18 years old when it was removed! Anyway, I'm figuring this board either has issues and/or really early firmware that are causing problems. I might just chuck it into my ever growing pile of old boards and put in a Pascal (Flippp) MPU. I sent an email to Ace at Ni-Wumpf to see if there is a new ROM he can send me...

I’ll bring my old NI-Wumpf this weekend for you to take and try. I also had a tilt issue prior to restoring the game, but it’s been fine since I finished, which included installing a Pascal PI1/X4.

BTW, I believe current NI-Wumpf firmware is 3.49.

#81 4 years ago
Quoted from tktlwyr:

I’ll bring my old NI-Wumpf this weekend for you to take and try. I also had a tilt issue prior to restoring the game, but it’s been fine since I finished, which included installing a Pascal PI1/X4.
BTW, I believe current NI-Wumpf firmware is 3.49.

Thanks! I probably won't need the board though. At this point I fixed the board and installed the newest firmware which is 3.54. My Sinbad has 3.49 in it and works fine. The Joker Poker had 2.21!!

Anyway it turns out that not only was the firmware old, the EPROM itself was bad. It was the bad EPROM that was causing the issues. When I went to reprogram it, the chip failed verify. I found some spare chips (32KB) in my junk drawer and erased and programed a different 27C256 EPROM and now the game boots up just fine and the 5x bonus and extra balls work the way they are supposed to!

So that just leaves the tilt sensitivity issue. You really have to work hard to make it tilt. The plumb bob can clang up against the ring solidly ten times before it finally tilts. I'm going to trace the wiring and I have a feeling this is a bad connector at the CPU board. The game is 40 years old so might need to have some cables re-pinned. The tilt on my Sinbad is a little more sensitive but it leaves a little to be desired also. This may be an issue with the Ni Wimpf. I notice the Flippp board has an adjustment for the tilt...

#82 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

The game is 40 years old so might need to have some cables re-pinned.

Might???

#83 4 years ago

I got a Joker Poker SS delivered last week. the prior owner had cut many of the wires to the coils and also added some different color wires to the connections. I will consult my schematics but it would be nice to see the correct wire onnections. Can anyone take pictures of the coil connections for me? I would gladly PayPal you 25 bucks for your trouble and time. Let me know if you can help.
Thanks in advance.

#84 4 years ago

Got it all figured out. Other than a few burnes coils she is ready to play. 0

#85 4 years ago

I recently acquired a Joker Poker EM, and it's really quite nice. I was wondering if anyone would have an approximate value, as I have not been able to find any that have sold recently. Original BG is is 9/10. Original PF is 8.5/10. New rubbers. Everything else is original, including flipper bats, pop bumpers, caps, chimes, you name it. Comes with original paperwork including installation manual and schematics...even the original 1/2 ounce tube of white lithium grease!

#86 4 years ago

I want to join this club someday!

#87 4 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

I was playing a game on my joker poker today and in the middle of the ball the tilt game on, when I wasn't jiggling it or anything.
I turn the power off and back on and the game won't start.
When I turn it on player number one display shows 3 3 9.
Any help would be appreciated, since this is my first gottlieb machine.
Robert

It sounds like you got a bum game. I'd put the seller on blast and let everyone know what your experience has been like...

#88 4 years ago
Quoted from Caucasian2Step:

It sounds like you got a bum game. I'd put the seller on blast and let everyone know what your experience has been like...

Kevin,

The excellent seller instantly sent me funds to replace the power supply board, and now the game plays fine.

I think I'll give the seller a big thumbs up for stepping up!

Robert

#89 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Thanks! I probably won't need the board though. At this point I fixed the board and installed the newest firmware which is 3.54. My Sinbad has 3.49 in it and works fine. The Joker Poker had 2.21!!
Anyway it turns out that not only was the firmware old, the EPROM itself was bad. It was the bad EPROM that was causing the issues. When I went to reprogram it, the chip failed verify. I found some spare chips (32KB) in my junk drawer and erased and programed a different 27C256 EPROM and now the game boots up just fine and the 5x bonus and extra balls work the way they are supposed to!
So that just leaves the tilt sensitivity issue. You really have to work hard to make it tilt. The plumb bob can clang up against the ring solidly ten times before it finally tilts. I'm going to trace the wiring and I have a feeling this is a bad connector at the CPU board. The game is 40 years old so might need to have some cables re-pinned. The tilt on my Sinbad is a little more sensitive but it leaves a little to be desired also. This may be an issue with the Ni Wimpf. I notice the Flippp board has an adjustment for the tilt...

Let me know what you find on the tilt issue. I recently had mine at a show, but it wouldn't tilt. I assume I bad wire, but haven't looked yet. The roll tilt works like it supposed to. I also have a NiWumph board.

#90 4 years ago

Closer look at the tilt on my Sinbad and it is basically just as bad as the Joker Poker. Both have Ni-Wumpf MPUs. In emailing with Ni-Wumpf it appears there may actually be an issue with reliably sensing the tilt on the System 1 games.

I've done some experimenting with the wiring and even tried adding a capacitor like they do on the old Bally games and the tilt still just doesn't work unless you hold it over against the ring. The connection is just too fast and doesn't get caught. I notice the Flippp boards say they have two settings for the tilt, so I assume they found a way around this.

2 weeks later
#91 4 years ago

What do people have the slope of their game set too? I have mine at 5.5 deg, and thinking of going to 6.

The manual doesn't say as far as I can find, any comments?

Robert

#92 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

So that just leaves the tilt sensitivity issue. You really have to work hard to make it tilt. The plumb bob can clang up against the ring solidly ten times before it finally tilts. I'm going to trace the wiring and I have a feeling this is a bad connector at the CPU board. The game is 40 years old so might need to have some cables re-pinned. The tilt on my Sinbad is a little more sensitive but it leaves a little to be desired also. This may be an issue with the Ni Wimpf. I notice the Flippp board has an adjustment for the tilt..

My Joker Poker has a NiWimpf card and the tilt works as expected. Not sure what the board version is, but 1 bump of the plumb bob and the game goes into tilt.

Robert

#93 4 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

My Joker Poker has a NiWimpf card and the tilt works as expected. Not sure what the board version is, but 1 bump of the plumb bob and the game goes into tilt.
Robert

Funny I can make the plumb bob on mine clang like mad without tilting. I replaced the connector on the cable heading to both switch connectors on the MPU, and replaced the plumb bob and cleaned all of the other connections. There is also a tilt switch on the playfield that is wired in parallel with the cabinet tilt. This in an actual tilt and not a slam tilt. By the time the wires go down to the cabinet tilt and then up to the playfield tilt and then back up to the MPU, there are a few ohms of resistance there. The tilt on the playfield works great by the way. Problem with that one is that it vibrates so much that it almost always tilts through to the next ball.

As I mentioned above this happens on my Sinbad also. Once in a tournament at a friend's house people were sliding his Genie around like they were doing a waltz with it and it would not tilt. That game I'm pretty sure has a Pascal board. I wouldn't really care about this but my game all seem to end up being used in tournaments, so need to have a tight and fair tilt working. At this point I actually might install a tilt relay that I parted out of an old EM. In the mean time the tech at Ni-Wumpf said he is aware of this issue from previous experience and is looking into fixing it.

#94 4 years ago
Quoted from John_I:

Funny I can make the plumb bob on mine clang like mad without tilting. I replaced the connector on the cable heading to both switch connectors on the MPU, and replaced the plumb bob and cleaned all of the other connections. There is also a tilt switch on the playfield that is wired in parallel with the cabinet tilt. This in an actual tilt and not a slam tilt. By the time the wires go down to the cabinet tilt and then up to the playfield tilt and then back up to the MPU, there are a few ohms of resistance there. The tilt on the playfield works great by the way. Problem with that one is that it vibrates so much that it almost always tilts through to the next ball.
As I mentioned above this happens on my Sinbad also. Once in a tournament at a friend's house people were sliding his Genie around like they were doing a waltz with it and it would not tilt. That game I'm pretty sure has a Pascal board. I wouldn't really care about this but my game all seem to end up being used in tournaments, so need to have a tight and fair tilt working. At this point I actually might install a tilt relay that I parted out of an old EM. In the mean time the tech at Ni-Wumpf said he is aware of this issue from previous experience and is looking into fixing it.

Ace is really good, hopefully he comes up with a solution.

1 month later
#95 4 years ago
Quoted from JLaw:

I recently acquired a Joker Poker EM, and it's really quite nice. I was wondering if anyone would have an approximate value, as I have not been able to find any that have sold recently. Original BG is is 9/10. Original PF is 8.5/10. New rubbers. Everything else is original, including flipper bats, pop bumpers, caps, chimes, you name it. Comes with original paperwork including installation manual and schematics...even the original 1/2 ounce tube of white lithium grease!

Several years ago, in about 2010, project EM Joker Pokers, with average cosmetics and overall good bones, were fetching in the $3,200 - $3,500+ range. A restored example fetched $5K in about 2014, as I recall (Odin's game perhaps?).

Transitional multiplayer Gottlieb EMs and scarce EMs generally have been particularly hot lately.

#96 4 years ago

I have a Joker Poker with the NI-Wumpth board, does anyone have the various game play adjustments that can be performed please.

#97 4 years ago
Quoted from tomtest:

I have a Joker Poker with the NI-Wumpth board, does anyone have the various game play adjustments that can be performed please.

Here is the link to the manual for the gen 2 board,
http://www.ni-wumpf.com/Gottlieb/System%201/NiSystem1Manual.pdf
here is the one for the older "legacy" board.
http://www.ni-wumpf.com/Gottlieb/System%201/System1Manual.pdf

2 weeks later
#98 4 years ago

I'm in!

My favorite System 1 and possibly the nicest Joker Poker on the planet. Don't ask how I got it -- I'm not telling

Love this game and it's "just one more" quality. It's a keeper!

IMG_20190826_101218 (resized).jpgIMG_20190826_101218 (resized).jpg
#99 4 years ago

Looks like it's got 7 digit displays in...

#100 4 years ago

Looks like the HEP resto the guy in Oregon was selling. Sweet looking machine.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball
Other
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist
Other
$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 4.00
Playfield - Decals
UpKick Pinball
Decals
Cabinet - Decals
The Pinball Scientist
Decals
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball
Decorations
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Fernie, BC
$ 7.50
Electronics
That Old Pinball
Electronics
$ 12.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints
Tools
$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop
Shooter rods
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 321 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 7.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joker-poker-club-feel-free-to-chime-in/page/2?hl=jlaw and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.