Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 20 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by dmacy
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tait316.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1 2 years ago

So this is rather odd. Just recently when I was playing my Joker Poker I noticed that every once in a while 10 points would ring up. At first I dismissed it but then it was happening a lot. I took off all the plastics and rubbers and the checked to see if all the switches were gaped properly. They seemed fine, but the problem was still there. Then I went ahead and pulled up the play field, unscrewed every 10 point switch to gap/clean from underneath. Put it all back together...still happening. Today I booted it up and one of the switches was closed entirely and I just sat there doing nothing as the score rose.

The really strange thing is when I have the play field up, and the game on, and I wiggle the play field it doesn't set off the switch until I lower the play field about a foot from the cabinet.

Anybody got any ideas? Thanks.

#4 2 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Playfield wiring stretching when you lower the playfield and causing the leaf blades to close ?
Something along the edge of the playfield or cabinet sides pushing stuff out of whack ?
LTG : )

I looked...nothing looks strained at all. I guess I could take out the play feild and put an extra bracket to hold the wires. I don't know if that will help.

Quoted from frenchmarky:

I don't understand how you said you gapped them all properly, but now one is 'stuck closed' (?) You mean it keeps doing phantom scoring somehow, or a switch is physically stuck closed?
I was thinking might be a pop bumper score switch gapped too close and would tend to act up more with the playfield down than up, but those only score 100 or 1000, right?

The pops score 100. I had originally thought that as well. I assume something is stuck when it triggers multiple times but they all look spaced enough. I don't like Phantom points. Lol.

#8 2 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

I just went through this on one. There’s 11 switches on the 10 point. Any one of them closed (sounds like yours has one super close) will do this. It is all the switches at rubber rings along the edges, back of drops (not the drops) and the sling switches. Go one by one and check. Maybe some solder glob fell down and the cause. Or one of the blades on back of the drop targets is touching.

I'll get some compressed air and blow everything out.

Quoted from frenchmarky:

Also verify any backing blades in the switch stacks (short stiff blade that keeps one of the two switch blades from vibrating) are not bent the wrong way and shorting to the other switch blade.

I thought I checked all the backing to make sure they weren't touching. I didn't see any broken solder...now I'm wondering if I should resolder all the switches. I feel so stupid that I can't figure out this simple little thing. Ahhh..

#10 2 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

If you try everything and still can't find it, since the 10 pt switches are in parallel you could try unsoldering one wire from each switch and playing it for a while each time until it clears up, then you know which switch it is. Or at least know that it's not the switches themselves.

That's a great idea sir. I had thought about that but since I'm not good with schematics I didn't know if that would mess up the matrix or not. Ok. That's what I'll do. Thanks for the idea.

#11 2 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

If you try everything and still can't find it, since the 10 pt switches are in parallel you could try unsoldering one wire from each switch and playing it for a while each time until it clears up, then you know which switch it is. Or at least know that it's not the switches themselves.

Actually this is gonna sound stupid....which one do I unsolder? I'm sure one is a ground.

#13 2 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

If switch has one lug with only one wire, just unsolder that one. If both lugs have two wires each, remove either pair of wires but keep the two wires soldered together. Put some electrical tape or something over the loose soldered wire(s) temporarily so as not to have them short on anything while you try it out.

That makes sense. Thank you. I'll try that and see what I come up with. Thanks again.

#14 2 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

So I disconnected all the switches...in fact I only took one side off of all of them and it was still triggering, so I disconnected the other side. Still triggering. I am super confused. Should I make sure that all the double wires are properly connected? Would that make a difference? Any advice is appreciated.

#16 2 years ago
Quoted from frenchmarky:

With a game started, try wiggling/tugging on all the wiring bundles a little and see if you can get it to act up, a wire might be shorting against a metal part.

Ok I can try that. Yeah I can leave the playfield up and when it's powered up I'll go around and wiggle stuff. Thanks.

#19 2 years ago
Quoted from dmacy:

You’re getting great advice. I’d also suggest going through all the switches and disconnect until you find the culprit. All 11 are wired together. So it could be any one or some of them contacting each other.

Quoted from frenchmarky:

If it scores the slingshot with a second switch under the playfield, make sure to check that one too... if it scores 10 points that is.

So...it's odd...and maybe I'm really stupid. I had the playfield up...pushing on wire harnesses with no reaction whatsoever. I unplugged all the connections because I was gonna take the playfield out and put it on the dinning room table to examine a bit closer. That's when I noticed something. There was a spring that must have come off a drop target that was at the bottom of the cab. I don't know where it came from because all the springs seem to be attached to all the drops. Either way...that 10 points isn't auto triggering anymore. That spring might have come from when I put the new drops in and it's been rattling around.

I feel stupid though because I thought I had checked for debris and found nothing. Oh well. Thanks again everyone for your help. I'm kinda glad it wasn't something worse. And I got to practice my soldering I suppose.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Gameroom - Decorations
Rocket City Pinball

$ 100.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 89.00
Electronics
That Old Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider tait316.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joker-poker-10-point-switch-stuck?tu=tait316 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.