3BA96572-F645-4519-AA1E-11C92AF80E9C (resized).jpeg
B3FC45BF-8DD3-4443-AC06-A4D79887965F (resized).jpeg
C680C977-C821-4DA8-A4A3-A581612F155B (resized).jpeg
FE210FE3-D254-4132-A44D-BE3EA54D1AAA (resized).jpeg
8778D441-FBE0-45C9-A75F-15D85C401B4F (resized).jpeg
9FF62547-B6D9-485B-ABB9-726F8108F43A (resized).jpeg
7F5EEED1-D254-4C36-890F-4EF85E127A9F (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dennisk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#36 7 years ago
Quoted from Otaku:

Gottlieb Score-Board is great! (Wasn't sure if you were done yet so waited a little to reply )

I guess I'm an ex-club member, thanks to this game. I sold it a couple months back as it wasn't getting played and so I felt it time to move it on. The middle-pop was definitely my favorite feature on this pin.

Let's see, I got Score-Board back in 2012. I paid $225. Guy I got it from wasn't into pinball, he saw it at a garage sale or something and thought it a worthwhile project to try and salvage something so old but never got to it. I got it non-working (first pin I ever bought that did not play), but the GI would turn on when you plugged it in.

My dad (a retired electrical engineer) and I brought it back to life as a project. Oh, what a mess of a machine. Old solder kept coming loose, and getting all four score reels functional was a bit of a nightmare. Had to replace the plastics on the slings with some custom-draws similar to the original (they were horribly warped and beyond salvage). Probably not the best pure project machine to start with, but we did finally get it going, and I probably learned more on that effort than any other pin.

I took a little bit of video before I sold it to show it working, so I'll share that here to add to the collection of middle-pops in action. While I often play terribly, I will defend myself in this case of having to play one-handed thanks to the camera!

1 month later
#134 7 years ago

Nice Score-Board! My plastics were so damaged and shrunken they were probably half their original size (and I needed IPDB pictures to know what the art on them was).

1 year later
#255 5 years ago

Hey all,

I am working on an article about middle-pop pins (not sure where it will live yet, probably Pinball News as I've relied on them for several of my other historical articles). But, I need some help. I'd like to include photos of as many of the lower playfields as possible (to give readers a good view of the middle-pop layouts), but I cannot simply take what is on IPDB and cite it, as they do not have permission to re-release provided images. So, I figured a club full of owners would suffice.

As noted, lower playfields in particular showing the middle-pop. Glass off preferred but if it is a low-glare situation do not go out of your way for me. I need the image and your name to cite in the article as being the provider. PM is fine of course. I've got a line (I think!) on some already. Here are the ones I definitely need help with:

Palm Beach (Marchant 1950)
Rose-Bowl (Gottlieb 1951)
All-Star Basketball (Gottlieb 1952)
Majorettes (Williams 1952)
Marble Queen (Gottlieb 1953)
Lazy-Q (Williams 1953)
Hawaiian Beauty (Gottlieb 1954)
Tim-Buc-Tu (Williams 1956)
Derby Day (Gottlieb 1956)
Shamrock (Williams 1956)
Cue Ball (Williams 1956)
8 Ball (Williams 1966)
Millionaire (Sega Enterprises 1977)

As is obvious, the woodrails in particular are a challenge for me. I know some of these are likely just not going to have a photo provided, but the more the better (I think). Also, I'm defining middle-pop a very particular way in the article, so some games discussed in this thread are not included (that doesn't really change the picture needs, but FYI so no one is shocked later). I'll post a link here when it is out of course.

Thanks for reading and to anyone able to help me out, it is most appreciated.

2 weeks later
#256 5 years ago

The middle-pop article is now live at Pinball News. Here is the link:
https://www.pinballnews.com/site/2018/08/30/middle-pop-pinball/

While I think I've contacted everyone individually who gave me permission to use photos, I want to express my thanks here as well, and to all of you for the discussion and research contained within this thread. And of course to NicoVolta for convincing me to get off my duff and write it.

#258 5 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

We currently have quite a few of these at the museum: Miss-O, Magic City, Spanish Eyes, and Fan-Tas-Tic. I plan to bring my Freedom prototype later this year... so all we’d need is an 8 Ball to fully represent the Norm Clark-era. Middle-pop row ahoy!

I assume that would probably give you the only full Clark middle-pop representation of any museum. Not sure where all the others stand. Pacific Pinball Museum was the source of three of the photos I used, so they might have the largest middle-pop woodrail collection, but I'm not certain. Would be cool if someone could source them all, but that Marchant one has to be a nightmare to find.

If I could play just one that I've not, it would be the Sega Enterprise's Millionaire. I want to see if that flipper placement (angled much more like a typical game) works well with the middle-pop. I think the rest of that space beneath the pop isn't as interesting as Clark's 3" work, but I think some people who don't like the middle-pop games actually don't like the angle on the flippers (it feels too foreign to them). Millionaire might have addressed that. I'm curious about it.

#261 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

I read the article and with the rules you set down-
1. The game must have at least two flippers. Check
2. A pop bumper must exist between the lowest two flippers, and this pop bumper must: Check
a. Be horizontally centered between the lowest two flippers. Check
b. Can occupy a range of vertical positioning, so long as the pop bumper is not so high as to not have at least a portion of the mechanism at the same level as the lowest flippers. Check
c. Be able to reasonably return the ball into the field of play (posts, lane guides, and similar obstructions would disqualify a game from consideration). Bumper is in field of play with two kick out holes still lower than that, so check
d. As the name implies, must be an active bumper (passive bumpers do not count). Check
It still all comes back to United's Carolina from 1949.
[quoted image]

Sorry, the provision of 2(c) means obstructions to the flipper area's field of play. My apologies if I was not clear in that, but due to the lanes segregating the pop bumper from the flippers I disqualified it. Just my personal judgment call of course. Carolina is a fascinating game design; I really hope to try it someday!

1 week later
#269 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Don't know. But even though it predates Palm Beach, I was waiting to see if the rule makers of this little game would say if it is disqualified or not.

I hope everyone is making their own criteria and judging things. It's just for fun after all (or is for me).

Quoted from NicoVolta:

I wouldn’t quite call it a middle pop, but then again, it does exhibit some significant aspects of the format.
Dennis, what say you? Or anyone else?

No, I laid out my criteria in my middle-pop article and it violates condition two, which mandates the middle-pop be between the lowest flippers.

For those that don't know, the game is Super Hockey (Chicago Coin 1949). The image provided is a crop of the middle of the playfield (I'll attach an IPDB image for those curious about the entire layout).

According to the flyer (http://www.pinball-gallery.com/images/grandes/341-1.jpg) the game has hockey-stick flippers, which obviously those little flippers are not. I saw a 2009 Pinball News article (https://www.pinballnews.com/shows/vierzon2009/index.html) which mentioned the game had flippers replaced with hockey sticks, but it didn't discuss how they were controlled.

As such, I reached out to meSz here on Pinside, who owns the game. He confirmed the hockey-sticks at the bottom are indeed flippers, and so the game has four (the two small ones and those two at the bottom). Looks like IPDB assumed they were slings in the write-up.

So, long story short, the kick-out hole and where it fires the ball is moot (for me), because those are upper flippers, and there is no pop bumper down between the lower ones.

SuperHockeyIPDB (resized).jpgSuperHockeyIPDB (resized).jpg
#271 5 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

I don't think it matters either, I just think it's cool!

Oh yes, just meant regarding the aspects I apply in this club. The game is curious. I was very sad to not find a gameplay video.

#273 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

YYes, they are called "flippers" or referred to as "flipper action" labeled on the game , but obviously do not pivot and operate like slingshots or kickers instead, whether they are button controlled or not, as you can see the slot in the middle where the paddle operates.
By your logic, then all games that had what was referred to at the time as Thumper Bumpers, Jet Bumpers, or even Active Bumpers instead of Pop Bumpers or going by any other name should also be disqualified.

I've always gone with a definition similar to IPDB's on flippers, "Those thingies that move when you hit the flipper buttons. Some people use these to propel the pinball."

For me, the key factor is if they are user controlled, not the label the manufacturer applied. This could lead into an interesting discussion about what should or shouldn't count as a flipper (A good modern case of discussion would be the upper playfield on WWE, I imagine).

But, that's starting to get away from the topic of this club. For me, these are flippers, and thus the game is clearly not remotely a middle-pop title. My logic is not about the branding, it's about the control. I totally understand if you disagree, I'm just hoping you see the perspective I'm coming at it from.

As for Madame Butterfly, it has an obstruction (lane guides) between the flippers, which compromises the ability to return the pinball into the field of play for the flippers. So for me it's a "no", but I doubt that surprises anyone. Given it's a conversion kit for a flipperless game, I have no idea what the goal there was (I'm more interested in the spring compression bumper version... I've never seen one before).

#275 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Then as mentioned neither are any of the other games that did not use pop bumpers, but used thumper bumpers or jet bumpers instead. It's all relative to how particular you want to be.

I am choosing to not be that particular, then (in my own write-up I clearly indicated pop bumper was used to imply active bumper). Middle-thump just sounds strange.

#277 5 years ago

IPDB often classes "automatic flippers" as its own thing, though glancing at your list it seems sometimes they did and sometimes they didn't. It does have its own placement in the glossary though (and one company it appears used the term to describe slingshots).

Don't forget about phantom flippers too. Their electromagnetic pivots are the most crafty.

#279 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

So, does Madame Butterfly qualify as a middle pop game or is there something there that would disqualify it as well?

I assume you're asking others since I addressed it above. I just wanted to note that I am glad you've provided so many interesting cases to look at. I don't see it as a big deal that you and I have different games on our middle-pop list. It will never be as clean as just labeling things System 11 or whatnot. I'm going to step back now to let other voices have the floor, since I think anyone following along knows where I'm falling on this topic by now.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 99.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 12.00
$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider dennisk.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/join-the-middle-pop-club?tu=dennisk and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.