3BA96572-F645-4519-AA1E-11C92AF80E9C (resized).jpeg
B3FC45BF-8DD3-4443-AC06-A4D79887965F (resized).jpeg
C680C977-C821-4DA8-A4A3-A581612F155B (resized).jpeg
FE210FE3-D254-4132-A44D-BE3EA54D1AAA (resized).jpeg
8778D441-FBE0-45C9-A75F-15D85C401B4F (resized).jpeg
9FF62547-B6D9-485B-ABB9-726F8108F43A (resized).jpeg
7F5EEED1-D254-4C36-890F-4EF85E127A9F (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CactusJack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3 7 years ago

Well, I am a member but with only 2: FanTasTic and Spanish Eyes.

#23 7 years ago

Probably one of my biggest not-buying regrets was on a Magic City. No, make that two Magic Cities. Stumbled on a Yard Sale with Sam Harvey probably in the early 80's. A whopping $147. Decent shape as I recall. But at that moment in time, that was quite a bit of change as I was "between jobs". Fast forward to only a few years ago: There was what looked like an absolutely mint one for sale on Ebay fairly locally (about an hours drive) but I just couldn't justify adding another one to the overflowing collection so I passed. Sold for the opening bid of $400.

Maybe someday a decent Magic City will find its way into my collection. I have fond memories of dropping a dime into the one in a Burger Joint across from the Canoga Drive in theater every time I rode by on my bike.

#24 7 years ago

Nick,

I see a Coffee Table Pinball history book in your publishing future!

#51 7 years ago

Thanks Pecos but not a fan of most AAB games and not interested in paying more in shipping than the game is worth.

Besides,. I should be thinning the herd, not adding to it.

#74 7 years ago

That's the big downfall of Magic City, I believe the only way to score the special is to drain the ball. I wonder if they adjusted for that on Magic Town.

Seems to me it would have been good if it adapted the Gottlieb-esk rules of the lit letter also being a replay after you complete the sequence. But that might have made it too generous. But, I would expect it to reset the sequence upon scoring it on an AAB.

3 months later
#154 7 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

"
Another item that has me puzzled is the audio on my Fan-Tas-Tic. I was sure that it would have the typical three chimes like most higher end Williams games of that period. But all I see is one large bell where the chimes should be. When scoring 10 points, there are no bell or chime sounds at all. When I looked on the schematics for chime solenoids I could only find a solenoid for a large bell? I would like to put a chime box in but the Jones Plugs are four in a row and not the typical two side-by-side configuration, apparently a rarer style of Jones Plugs.

The 10 point sound would normally come from the Match 00-90 unit. There would be a bell mounted across the bottom and there should be a "clapper" armature connected to the step up armature.

#156 7 years ago

Interesting. I checked the schematic online and sure enough, it only indicates a large bell. Which typically would mean mechanical clapper for 10's. However, if you download the New Parts supplement from IPDB for Fan-Tas-Tic, it shows the 3 bar chime unit as being part of it, which is how I remember it.

Where is your Jones plug for the bell? Is there a larger empty Jones plug by or behind the transformer?

I wonder if Fantastic Was a transition game (bells to chimes). If so, it is always possible that you could have a mixed up head and body where a couple of games, old and new, were mixed up in a warehouse.

The game I own (which is in storage) is actually made of a fantastic body (reimport) and a head for a jubilee. Everything matched up except I had to add one wire in the head to a Jones plug (empty pin on one side). I seem to remember it with the Jones plug for chimes. It would not have had them installed since Germany didn't receive games with bells or chimes.

#159 7 years ago

Is your transformer by chance labeled 50 Hertz?

Yup, WMS chime boxes are hard to come by since:

1. They self destructed in use and a design that's not easily repaired. Using a single open plastic sound box they produced a "cheap" sound unique to wms that many of us remember. Bally and Gottlieb used an enclosed sound box that was tuned to each note to provide maximum resonance.
2. Most, if not all, Williams / SeaVend games that went to Europe were void of the entire assy. Therefore, many of us may have pulled them from lesser games to refurb those export games when they came back to the US via companies like Pachinko palace Ang Games unlimited.

Wico used to sell an all plastic (except for plunger, chime bars, and coils) assy probably just for said games.

While the Gottlieb assy sounds the best, now, many are selling for over $100 a pop.

Bally is probably your better bet as they can also come out of a solid state game and just cut the diodes off. Bally is 50volt so you may need to replace the coils to get any volume.

Of course, there is always the 70's Chicago Coin approach of using a Nutone Ding, Ding/Dong door bell chime instead. Talk about cheap garbage!!!!

#161 7 years ago

You have a re-import. Chances are, you score motor is also 50 Hertz so it runs a bit fast. I don't think there are any super time critical features so you should be okay with changing it out.

#163 7 years ago

Well, Depending on how old she is, she probably was telling the truth. G.A.M.E.S was the third company out here that did a lot of re-import restorations and resales. And it was in the mid to late 70's into the 80's.

As far as I was told, Germany had a law that required the amusement machines to be disposed of after 2 years. Instead of sending them to the dump, they used to fill containers of them and sell them to the US. From what I was told, they were paying around $100 per machine. It didn't matter if it was a Fireball, or a Dipsy Doodle. They just had to take the good with the bad. They were getting up to $2000 (at least $1000) for a Fireball and could still get around $400 or more for any other title. Of course, some of the games coming back from Germany were played to death without much care. So not every game they got was worth restoring.

1 week later
#166 7 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

I still need to play a Fan-Tas-Tic... can't find any internet videos which have it leveled properly or fully working. Argh! Hard to determine the fun factor of the gameplay.
I'm wondering if I'll eventually revise my opinion and put Spanish Eyes ahead of it....?

Personally, I prefer Spanish Eyes over Fantastic. Fantastic was a good game to begin my flipper life on but today, the stop and wait of the wheel is just not my cup of tea.

1 month later
#181 7 years ago

Looks like the second video has a much steeper pitch than the first. And possibly bouncier or maybe tighter rubbers at the bottom jet bumper.

#185 7 years ago

Might be an interesting candidate for installing a Pop bumper with a trimmed skirt so as not to kick below the tips of the flippers. It may take away from some of the side scoring just before a drain but the top action may be a good trade off.

I own the game but its buried. Maybe when it sees the light of day again, I will try the "hack" myself.

1 year later
#280 5 years ago

As it is a conversion (vastly altered from the original design), My vote would also be a "No" for Miss Butterfly to join the club. It does not support the "Action" I would believe a middle pop/thump/jet bumper to be.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 99.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider CactusJack.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/join-the-middle-pop-club?tu=CactusJack and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.