3BA96572-F645-4519-AA1E-11C92AF80E9C (resized).jpeg
B3FC45BF-8DD3-4443-AC06-A4D79887965F (resized).jpeg
C680C977-C821-4DA8-A4A3-A581612F155B (resized).jpeg
FE210FE3-D254-4132-A44D-BE3EA54D1AAA (resized).jpeg
8778D441-FBE0-45C9-A75F-15D85C401B4F (resized).jpeg
9FF62547-B6D9-485B-ABB9-726F8108F43A (resized).jpeg
7F5EEED1-D254-4C36-890F-4EF85E127A9F (resized).jpeg
pasted_image (resized).png
There are 380 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.
#101 7 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Did you attend the prior seminar about the "awesome overlooked EM's"?

The last half of it, but Clay was there annoying me as usual so I didn't pay as close attention as I would have liked.

#102 7 years ago
Quoted from zacaj:

Is the seminar available online at all?

ARE there any close-up PF photos of the Harry Williams Typhoon Pin from the Expo seminar
that Duncan reproduced from that seminar posted online?

#103 7 years ago

Oh great Middle-Pop guru and thread Pooh Bah, may I join the Middle-Pop club?

day1_spanish_eyes_1 and_2 (resized).jpgday1_spanish_eyes_1 and_2 (resized).jpg

#104 7 years ago
Quoted from frobozz:

Now that I'm not scooping the Expo seminar, here are some examples:
http://backglass.org/williams/tlpdohw/tlpdohw_goofy_bottoms.jpg

Are you the guy who did the seminar? Does he plan to build the other games besides Typhoon?

#105 7 years ago
Quoted from dmbjunky:

Are you the guy who did the seminar? Does he plan to build the other games besides Typhoon?

I am the guy that did the seminar, and he does

#106 7 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Oh great Middle-Pop guru and thread Pooh Bah, may I join the Middle-Pop club?

Yes indeed... and a pair of Spanish Eyes'es? Don't be keeping them all to yourself now. :p

Curious to see the sides of the cabinet of the upright one. Front panel paint looks unusual.

Quoted from frobozz:

I am the guy that did the seminar, and he does

I saw "Pinto", "Viking", and "Catapult" in that .jpg but there was a fourth called Typhoon? Someone intends to build it?

#107 7 years ago

Typhoon is the one that was complete and playable at Pinball Expo.

I ended up making a web page of the seminar contents, since so many people weren't able to make it:

http://backglass.org/williams/tlpdohw/expo2016/

#108 7 years ago

That was a really great story. I really think you should start your own thread with this.

I would love to see more of these drawings. I wish I could have gotten to play the game you brought to Expo.

#109 7 years ago

Incredibly cool story & thank you so much for putting that together and sharing it. Absolutely deserves its own thread... and quite exciting to think another middle-pop might be joining the flock.

#110 7 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Incredibly cool story & thank you so much for putting that together and sharing it. Absolutely deserves its own thread... and quite exciting to think another middle-pop might be joining the flock.

OK, fine.... done.

#111 7 years ago

Do let me know if you might attend TPF 2017... would like to say hello if so. VECTOR showcases many restored EM's and the Freedom prototype will likely make a return trip.

#112 7 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Do let me know if you might attend TPF 2017... would like to say hello if so. VECTOR showcases many restored EM's and the Freedom prototype will likely make a return trip.

My newly-acquired status as a single dad is going to make travel like that tricky for a while, but I do know a bunch of the Texas pinheads so would like to get down there eventually. Maybe TPF 2019...

#113 7 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Curious to see the sides of the cabinet of the upright one. Front panel paint looks unusual.

Neither one appears to be original. Spanish Eyes 1:

day2_spanish_eyes_2_cabinet_left_side (resized).jpgday2_spanish_eyes_2_cabinet_left_side (resized).jpg

day2_spanish_eyes_2_cabinet_front (resized).jpgday2_spanish_eyes_2_cabinet_front (resized).jpg

day2_spanish_eyes_2_interesting_artwork_shooter_housing (resized).jpgday2_spanish_eyes_2_interesting_artwork_shooter_housing (resized).jpg

Interesting? This experimental artwork will be the first to go.

Spanish Eyes 2:

day2_spanish_eyes_1_cabinet_right_side (resized).jpgday2_spanish_eyes_1_cabinet_right_side (resized).jpg

day2_spanish_eyes_1_cabinet_front (resized).jpgday2_spanish_eyes_1_cabinet_front (resized).jpg

Quoted from NicoVolta:

Yes indeed... and a pair of Spanish Eyes'es? Don't be keeping them all to yourself now. :p

I plan to sell one but not until I determine whether to sell it 'as is' or after some restoration. I'll have to at least do a simple shop job. I am always interested and then excited to see how these old games clean up. Pinsiders will get first dibs.

#114 7 years ago

Do the usual "best of both" combination strategy and sell the other as a project.

The original paint might be recoverable under those!

#115 7 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Neither one appears to be original. Spanish Eyes 1:

Interesting? This experimental artwork will be the first to go.
Spanish Eyes 2:

I plan to sell one but not until I determine whether to sell it 'as is' or after some restoration. I'll have to at least do a simple shop job. I am always interested and then excited to see how these old games clean up. Pinsiders will get first dibs.

Someone was prying on the coin eject slot. Weird.

#116 7 years ago

Recently finished restoring my Spanish Eyes and it is probably my favorite pin right now. Exceeded my previous best score just today... LOVE IT!

#117 7 years ago
Quoted from golden_arrow:

Recently finished restoring my Spanish Eyes and it is probably my favorite pin right now. Exceeded my previous best score just today... LOVE IT!

Give us the pics! The movies! We wanna see!

1 week later
#118 7 years ago

Isn't life strange? Last week I had no Middle Pop Pins and now I have three!

day_1_backglass (resized).jpgday_1_backglass (resized).jpg

day_1_backglass_lit (resized).jpgday_1_backglass_lit (resized).jpg

day_1_full_machine_garage_left_cabinet (resized).jpgday_1_full_machine_garage_left_cabinet (resized).jpg

#120 7 years ago

No, it looks fan-tas-tic!

#121 7 years ago

I recently sold my Fan-Tas-Tic but replaced it with this....

20161019_185032 (resized).jpg20161019_185032 (resized).jpg

#122 7 years ago
Quoted from pinzrfun:

I recently sold my Fan-Tas-Tic but replaced it with this....

Great looking apron on that OC, most are really faded badly on the magenta - I wish someone made some quality apron decals for this pin!
Just finished up the restore on mine & it is a real ass-kicker. Fun pin!

#123 7 years ago

As much as I like Fan-Tas-Tic... I'd have made the same trade. Old Chicago is my #2 EM just behind Freedom prototype. Gorgeous, fun, and never a pushover.

...and boy, does that one look nice!

#124 7 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

As much as I like Fan-Tas-Tic... I'd have made the same trade. Old Chicago is my #2 EM just behind Freedom prototype. Gorgeous, fun, and never a pushover.
...and boy, does that one look nice!

Damn that spinner shot is satisfying on Old Chicago..... you can really rack up the bonus points!

#125 7 years ago

On our way home from our first center-pop purchase. image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#126 7 years ago

Ahhhh... and so it begins! Fan-Tas-Tic?

#127 7 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Ahhhh... and so it begins! Fan-Tas-Tic?

Any other guesses?

#128 7 years ago

If 3", Spanish Eyes! (easy math here, admittedly)

If 2", let's go with Magic City!

#129 7 years ago

He-hee! I figured this one might throw you.

image (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg

#130 7 years ago

A game ahead of its time with 3 ball play.
What is up with the plastics?
are they reversed?

#131 7 years ago
Quoted from RyanClaytor:

He-hee! I figured this one might throw you.

Thrown! Figured you'd stay in the post '66 Norm Clark-era... but noooo! Ryan is different, but different is good.

Agree with Tom. The plastics appear to be flipped over, yes?

#132 7 years ago

Everything on this machine is ridiculously clean, save for the baconized plastics. They are, indeed, reversed because if they were installed correctly, the curling under would catch the switches. So, a couple plastics will need to be reproduced, but that shouldn't be a big deal. Outside of that, it's fully functional. The seller went over it with a fine-tooth comb and even included a typed list of everything he did in the process. REALLY happy with the new acquisition.

#133 7 years ago

Join the club for only $300. Shameless plug.

janesville.craigslist.org link

#134 7 years ago

Nice Score-Board! My plastics were so damaged and shrunken they were probably half their original size (and I needed IPDB pictures to know what the art on them was).

#135 7 years ago
Quoted from DennisK:

Nice Score-Board!

Thanks, Dennis. We're havin' a blast with it.

Quoted from DennisK:

plastics were so damaged

I just scanned mine. They're not great, but I plan on retouching the art and printing new ones eventually. That won't happen immediately, but I'm hoping sooner than later. Feel free to PM me in another month or so to see if anything has changed.

P.S. For anyone interested, I just posted an exhaustive picto write-up about the acquisition last weekend:

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/1956-gottlieb-score-board-pick-up

Have a good one, guys!

#136 7 years ago

I too have Spanish Eyes. Seem like there are quite a few of them still around. Mine is in great shape, I restored it 4 years ago. I adjust the switch gaps on the pops to .020 open. With fully rebuilt pops this gap makes for very fast action. Its real important for the rubbers surrounding the lower pop to be fresh, this really adds to the pop action. Instead of the knocker I machined a bracket that holds the knocker assy. and a 5" bell. Lots of fun to hear that gong bell go off at score levels and extra ball wins.

#137 7 years ago
Quoted from PapaJohn:

Instead of the knocker I machined a bracket that holds the knocker assy. and a 5" bell.

Neat!

#138 7 years ago
Quoted from PapaJohn:

I adjust the switch gaps on the pops to .020 open

Pshaw! I bet you can still fit a hair between those contacts!

#139 7 years ago

hey can i join?

my spanish eyes in action at one of my meets a few years ago..and man, i would give my first born for a gottlieb score-board

#140 7 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Spanish Eyes also introduced the concept of "flipper drains". If the flipper is lifted while the ball travels underneath, it will fall through the playfield and drain. Beware! A hilarious surprise for unaware players.

1962 WMS King Pin also had drains below the lower flippers.

#141 7 years ago

Played my first, Spanish Eyes, at Freeplay Orlando this weekend. Game was really fun!

#142 7 years ago
Quoted from Elvisinmypants:

1962 WMS King Pin also had drains below the lower flippers.

D'oh! You are correct... and that was Norm Clark's first game. Interesting how the arrangement of flippers/drains/middle-upkicker resembles his middle-pop layouts which followed.

#143 7 years ago

I am a proud owner of a Spanish eyes ... This game is a keeper.

1 month later
#144 7 years ago

Three or four weeks ago I finished up the lesser of two Spanish Eyes. I am a sucker for a forgotten and neglected Project Pin that is destined for the Island of Misfit Pinballs:

day1_spanish_eyes_2_playfield (resized).jpgday1_spanish_eyes_2_playfield (resized).jpg

DSCF2398 (resized).JPGDSCF2398 (resized).JPG

It is working 100%, I think. The middle pop on this pin needed a lot of attention. You just gotta have a middle pop game with a high performance middle pop! The switches were misalligned both horizontally and vertically, and of course, the entire assembly was taken apart, cleaned and put back together. I am finally pleased with how it performs. A pinball got stuck in the 'pinball trap' the other day and it must have been in there for five seconds or more. My neighbor who was playing it said simply, "That is cool."

I just finished another middle pop game and, it too, is working 100% after a lot of problems that needed fixing. The bacbox door is on with lock. I only need to work on three coin mechs:

finished (resized).jpgfinished (resized).jpg

There was an issue with the middle pop bumper that all members of the "Middle-Pop Club" should be aware of. The point on the skirt was badly worn. When I adjusted the switch to where it SHOULD be, the point would occasionally ride up on the handle of the spoon switch, sticking there and keeping the solenoid switch closed until it overheated. Fortunatley, I found the closed switch before the solenoid was fried.

DSCF2392 (resized).JPGDSCF2392 (resized).JPG

I am temporarily borrowing a pop bumper skirt from another machine until I can get one ordered. For less than a buck a piece, I recommend that you always replace the skirt when working on a middle pop bumper.

#145 7 years ago

Nice going Pecos! How do you like Fan-Tas-Tic? Norm Clark really threw the kitchen sink at that one. It has a little bit of everything.

I confess after I bought a Fan-Tas-Tic I caved and bought a Spanish Eyes too. Looking forward to working my way through them! Interesting to note how hard the skirt gets worked on the middle-pop... might also want to check the switch spoon. My Freedom prototype had a plastic spoon and needed to be replaced... not sure if Fan/Spanish has those or metal ones?

#146 7 years ago
Quoted from NicoVolta:

Nice going Pecos!

Thanks!

Quoted from NicoVolta:

Norm Clark really threw the kitchen sink at that one. It has a little bit of everything.

Which is why I am so happy to have this one working. Lots to go wrong. There are still two issues having to do with loose wires that I am going to have to solve. What is supposed to happen, if anything, when the pinball rolls through both A and B lanes? I am also trying to figure out why there are three German made coin mechs that seem to accept only dimes when the coin plates say '2 Plays = Quarter.'

Quoted from NicoVolta:

How do you like Fan-Tas-Tic?

I must admit that I am more than just a little bit disappointed. Fan-Tas-Tic has two kick-out holes in a similar location to OXO's kick-out saucers which is one of my favorite shots in pinball. But getting the pinball from flipper to eject hole in Fan-Tas-Tic is next to impossible. Getting the pinball into one of the three kick-out holes is key to the game since it spins the roulette wheel and that is the only way to collect the bonus. I'm hoping I will warm up to it even more if or when I can figure out that eject hole shot.

I do like the middle stand-up target shot that lights the left outlane kickback and, of course, the middle pop is fun when it looks like the ball is about to drain and it pops out! It has the DC pops which always makes the action lively.

Quoted from NicoVolta:

not sure if Fan/Spanish has those or metal ones?

Metal on both, looks like copper.

Quoted from NicoVolta:

Interesting to note how hard the skirt gets worked on the middle-pop...

Indeed! It takes a lot of hits on the pop bumper to wear down a skirt point like that.

Enjoy working on yours and your Spanish Eyes. Let me know if you need any pics or help.

Fan-Tas-Tic Tip #1 - Lessons learned the hard way. When you are working on the machine with the playfield lifted, the score motor will run until the little ball falls into one of the holes on the roulette wheel.

Fan-Tas-Tic Tip #2 - Lessons learned the hard way. Your bonus isn't broken when the ball reaches the outhole and the bonus resets to 1000. It is supposed to work that way. No bonus for you!

#147 7 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Thanks!

There are still two issues having to do with loose wires that I am going to have to solve. What is supposed to happen, if anything, when the pinball rolls through both A and B lanes?

Regrettably, I haven't got mine up and running yet. Anyone else care to comment on the rules?

Quoted from Pecos:

I must admit that I am more than just a little bit disappointed. Fan-Tas-Tic has two kick-out holes in a similar location to OXO's kick-out saucers which is one of my favorite shots in pinball. But getting the pinball from flipper to eject hole in Fan-Tas-Tic is next to impossible. Getting the pinball into one of the three kick-out holes is key to the game since it spins the roulette wheel and that is the only way to collect the bonus. I'm hoping I will warm up to it even more if or when I can figure out that eject hole shot.

Yeah those side shots look quite narrow... like only a glancing hit will do. Seems like the safest option would be to send it back to the top.

I'll have mine going by summer, methinks. Will "pop" back in with my personal take soon...

#148 7 years ago
Quoted from Pecos:

Fan-Tas-Tic has two kick-out holes in a similar location to OXO's kick-out saucers which is one of my favorite shots in pinball. But getting the pinball from flipper to eject hole in Fan-Tas-Tic is next to impossible. Getting the pinball into one of the three kick-out holes is key to the game since it spins the roulette wheel and that is the only way to collect the bonus. I'm hoping I will warm up to it even more if or when I can figure out that eject hole shot.

What about catching and back-handing the shots? I do that all the time on Freedom prototype to hit the drop targets. Can it be done on Fan-Tas-Tic for the SPIN holes?

#149 7 years ago

"What about catching and back-handing the shots? I do that all the time on Freedom prototype to hit the drop targets. Can it be done on Fan-Tas-Tic for the SPIN holes?"

I have tried that without much luck yet, but I'm working on it! I am getting better at the straight flipper to eject hole shot though. It's not a saucer so the pinball likes to rim out like a bad basketball shot! It's very challenging. Fan-Tas-Tic has a lot of luck involved with the roulette wheel so it makes a great game for novices at parties or in a family setting. "Play flipper skill games for fun and recreation" is printed on the upper left of the backglass. From what I have seen, it's more 'fun and recreation' than 'flipper skill game.'

Another item that has me puzzled is the audio on my Fan-Tas-Tic. I was sure that it would have the typical three chimes like most higher end Williams games of that period. But all I see is one large bell where the chimes should be. When scoring 10 points, there are no bell or chime sounds at all. When I looked on the schematics for chime solenoids I could only find a solenoid for a large bell? I would like to put a chime box in but the Jones Plugs are four in a row and not the typical two side-by-side configuration, apparently a rarer style of Jones Plugs.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 12.00
Cabinet - Other
The Pinball Scientist

Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 12.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
UpKick Pinball

Various Novelties
Pinball Photos LLC

$ 8.00
Electronics
Third Coast Pinball

Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 69.00
Gameroom - Decorations
Pinball Pimp

$ 99.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

$ 109.00
Playfield - Plastics
Starcade Amusement

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 380 posts in this topic. You are on page 3 of 8.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/join-the-middle-pop-club/page/3 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.