New! Dark mode!

Browsing Pinside at night? Getting tired of all the white? Switch to dark mode using the button in the top right (or CTRL-B)!

(Topic ID: 105535)

Join Chris Granner at Expo and hear Twilight Zone in DCS!

By Pinwizkid

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 26 posts
  • 21 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 5 years ago by burningman
  • Topic is favorited by 10 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 4 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

prev3.png
prev2.png
prev1.png
expo2014.png

#1 6 years ago

Hi Gang,

I'm proud to once again to be speaking at Pinball Expo this year. I'm teaming up with composer Chris Granner to talk about the history (and future) of pinball sound. We'll be listening to tons of audio clips and talking about the historical significance of each game that made strides in pinball audio technology. Topics include:

-The earliest forms of sound in pinball.
-The G-wave algorithm developed by Eugene Jarvis.
-The YM2151 synthesizer.
-Pinball music theory.
-Audio software demo (time permitting).

One very special "nugget" we'll be debuting is the DCS version of the Twilight Zone pinball music. TZ was originally slated to be the first game to use the DCS system, but the system was not completed in time, and all of the audio had to be converted to play on the Yamaha YM2151 system at the last minute. Luckily, Chris saved a majority of the DCS audio on a tape which had been buried for 20 years... until now!

We hope you can join us October 16th at 6PM for what we hope to be a very fun presentation!

-Brendan

expo2014.png
#2 6 years ago

Unfortunately, can't get to expo this year but very much looking forward to hearing the seminars, especially this one. YM2151 work-arounds are always interesting.
If possible, can it also include some 'Big Guns' trivia? Especially, what the trolls say?? Thanks!

#3 6 years ago

Can someone make sure a high quality sound recording of this gets done....would be awesome.

#4 6 years ago

So this is awesome… when can I install them into my TZ?

#5 6 years ago
Quoted from Frax:

Can someone make sure a high quality sound recording of this gets done....would be awesome.

I'd love to see/hear a recording of this talk too. I'm intrigued to hear about Pinball music theory!

#6 6 years ago

If I could only visit Expo once, and was allowed one seminar only, this one would be it.

I hope this seminar will be recorded and shared.

#7 6 years ago

That's a wonderfull news!

The lack of DCS on TZ is the reason why we started the PinSound project at the very begining.

At Pinball Expo a PinSound board will be present with a complete TZ remixed sound set...

Here is a teaser of this :

----
Pinball HD sound board : www.pinsound.org

#8 6 years ago

Discover Pinsound on TZ at Pinballexpo for 17 and 18 october
Thanks to Rob Berk

#9 6 years ago

Just finished up the Powerpoint last night... ended with about 85 slides. Lots of pictures of the Williams sound design studios and team members, as well as over 50 audio examples to be played. Should be a fun presentation. Here's a preview:

prev1.png prev2.png prev3.png
#10 6 years ago

Hope you will post the presentation afterwards for those of us that won't be there.

#11 6 years ago

Bookmarked!

I won't be there but I'd love to hear this talk and the music. Please post back with a link to a video if there is one!

Good luck!

#12 6 years ago
Quoted from pzy:

So this is awesome… when can I install them into my TZ?

You can't into the existing system. It's not DCS. See above for a new sound board in development.....

#13 6 years ago
Quoted from jfh:

Hope you will post the presentation afterwards for those of us that won't be there.

Why arnt you coming this year?

#14 6 years ago
Quoted from Gexchange:

Why arnt you coming this year?

Long standing family commitment that I can't miss. I always thought it was the last weekend in October 2014, and got "reminded" after I bought my plane ticket that I was mistaken. I gave up looking at creative ways to do both a couple days ago ... .

I didn't get much sympathy when I played the "but it's the 30th Anniversay of Expo" card. I will have to live vicariously through the good folks on Pinside and Martin's live blogs.

#15 6 years ago
Quoted from Pinwizkid:

Hi Gang,
I'm proud to once again to be speaking at Pinball Expo this year. I'm teaming up with composer Chris Granner to talk about the history (and future) of pinball sound. We'll be listening to tons of audio clips and talking about the historical significance of each game that made strides in pinball audio technology. Topics include:
-The earliest forms of sound in pinball.
-The G-wave algorithm developed by Eugene Jarvis.
-The YM2151 synthesizer.
-Pinball music theory.
-Audio software demo (time permitting).
One very special "nugget" we'll be debuting is the DCS version of the Twilight Zone pinball music. TZ was originally slated to be the first game to use the DCS system, but the system was not completed in time, and all of the audio had to be converted to play on the Yamaha YM2151 system at the last minute. Luckily, Chris saved a majority of the DCS audio on a tape which had been buried for 20 years... until now!
We hope you can join us October 16th at 6PM for what we hope to be a very fun presentation!
-Brendan

expo2014.png 193 KB

Very exciting!!!....interested in hearing TZ....can't be there at expo, sadly. Hope full demo available soon....mark

#16 6 years ago

Recording yay or nay?

#17 6 years ago

It's still going on. But Bakushan is live streaming(check his thread for a link) and will hopefully keep the streams up for a while.

#18 6 years ago

Holy sh1#! That. Was. Awesome.

I'm ready to buy, right now, whatever I need to do the DCS upgrade from anyone who decides to take on the task of making it happen. I don't care if it takes using a whole new DCS-based soundboard or some sort of PIG2 driven device. I want those sounds in my TZ!

I really liked Chris' original main gameplay theme, too. It really added a layer of tension to the overall feel of what would be the non-modal, non-multiball gameplay. All the other music in their respective DCS formats sounded fantastic, even through Jared's room mic! I can imagine how much better they'd sound through a nice pair of stereo speakers in a pin.

It's awesome that Chris is going to release these sounds soon, too. Such an awesome move on his part.

Thank you Pinwizkid and thank you Chris Granner for taking the time to do this. I watched the whole presentation and was quite enthralled with all the technical innerworkings and advancements through the years. A very well executed presentation. I really wish I could've been there in person to see it live.

#19 6 years ago

For those that just want to hear what TZ was supposed to sound like, here is the recorded seminar. The "before and after" stuff starts up at about the 1 hour mark.

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/54067202

#20 6 years ago

I'm getting super excited about this!

#21 6 years ago
Quoted from PinSound:

That's a wonderfull news!
The lack of DCS on TZ is the reason why we started the PinSound project at the very begining.
At Pinball Expo a PinSound board will be present with a complete TZ remixed sound set...
Here is a teaser of this :
» YouTube video
----
Pinball HD sound board : http://www.pinsound.org

That's awesome. Does the PinSound board use the DCS sounds that Chris Granner created?

#22 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

That's awesome. Does the PinSound board use the DCS sounds that Chris Granner created?

PinSound is a board compatible with multiple pinball machine, playing any audio file (WAV) from the USB flash drive.

Currently, the TZ sound set from PinSound is made by a musician, but as Chris said during the conf, if the TZ DCS sounds are relased, be sure that it will be playable on the PinSound board

#23 6 years ago
Quoted from PanzerFreak:

Does the PinSound board use the DCS sounds that Chris Granner created?

No. Mainly because he hasn't released them yet. My guess is that once he releases them, Pinsound will add them to their product. Maybe. It depends on licensing, sadly.

If not Pinsound, someone will find a way to get these sounds into a TZ seamlessly. It will happen.

#24 6 years ago

Oh man, this is actually the best thing I've heard out of Expo. Having upgraded DCS sound on masterful Twilight Zone is a dream!

4 weeks later
#25 5 years ago

Hi all,

I'll start tomorrow to work on this. I'll split the 13 mins file into needed pieces and then map each music/sound to where it should be in the current TZ pinsound mix. I'll update the status on pinsound-community.org.

#26 5 years ago

Wow...watched the seminar at Expo, but man that sounds good with headphones!

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside