• Judge Dredd 58 votes
    45%
  • Neither, you would be better off with...? 6 votes
    5%

(129 votes)

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

P2281488.JPG
There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Been thinkin' 'bout the next one. I have considered many and pretty sure that when it comes time I will go with one of these two: Johnny Mnemonic or Judge Dredd. They are very close in price and in my range.
Both appeal for different reasons but would really appreciate any feedback or opinions. I know every game has its fans. What things draw you to the game or what things do you consider drawbacks?
Thanks!

#2 9 years ago

I like them both but JM wins out, IMO.

#3 9 years ago

I've owned both, JM is better. However, for the same price range there would be other games I'd choose over either one of these.

#4 9 years ago

JM.

#5 9 years ago

Always wanted a Johnny............Joey

#6 9 years ago

JD. Like JMN a bunch, though. More shots, modes and variety on JD, however. Also much prefer the theme.

#7 9 years ago
Quoted from The_Director:

I've owned both, JM is better. However, for the same price range there would be other games I'd choose over either one of these.

Such as?

#8 9 years ago

Poll shows an early 50/50 split. I was afraid of that as each game seems to have a solid core following.

#9 9 years ago

I would go with FT, Congo, BSD and many others before either JM or JD.

That said, it really depends on price and condition as all are pretty fun games for diffrent reasons.

#10 9 years ago

I think DW, WW, FT and Tommy are all more desirable personally. They're all close to the same price in the roughly $2k range. Tommy might be a little more.

#11 9 years ago

Judge Dredd.

#12 9 years ago

Johnny is more fun but dread has better theme.
Both are great games

#13 9 years ago

I've owned JM and JD. I prefer JD by a wide margin. Just more fun for me. I like Super Pins and games with more than the standard 2 flippers.

#14 9 years ago

In the ongoing budget title battle of JM/JD/DM, JD always wins. JM doesn't have much going for it.

#15 9 years ago

I've got them both. That being said they are completely different types of machines and both play VERY differently. I like JD for slower longer games. I like JM for faster shorter games.

#16 9 years ago

JM. Probably the fastest pinball game ever made (when you hit the loops). How can speed ever be second place? That is correct, it cannot

#17 9 years ago

Johnny-my first pin. DM is just as fast IMO. JD is a simple fun game.

#18 9 years ago

Poll is JM and Dredd. Not JM against Demo Man

#19 9 years ago

Owned both. JD by a mile

#20 9 years ago

Dredd is amazing. Awesome layout and flow.

#21 9 years ago

I currently own both and have to say we all tend to go play Judge Dredd more often. Johnny is fun, but it just doesn't draw me back as much. It might be because I have it setup rather hard and it's faster then a sob... The video game on JM usually just pisses me off too.

Fish Tales, and Dr Who both outshine both of them by a mile though (seem to get played more).

#22 9 years ago

After you play the terrible disappointing JD wizard mode you will want to shoot yourself. I was so f-ing mad. JM is the better game. JD is no slouch either. Good game. I remember when both could be had for 2k for the pair and people couldnt get rid of them fast enough.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from TheLaw:

In the ongoing budget title battle of JM/JD/DM, JD always wins. JM doesn't have much going for it.

Midnight madness and powerdown sell the game. oh and its damn near the fastest pin in the world.

#24 9 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

I remember when both could be had for 2k for the pair and people couldnt get rid of them fast enough.

Yep - 2011-2012ish. Not that long ago at all.

#25 9 years ago

When I first bought dredd it was for 900 bucks and it was minty with topper. That was 2003ish though.

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from DevilsTuner:

Midnight madness and powerdown sell the game. oh and its damn near the fastest pin in the world.

Midnight madness isn't that exciting...I have a couple games with it; I mean it's cool but it wouldn;t sway me from one game to another.
It does have speed which seems to excite people, no doubt aboot that.

#27 9 years ago

Easy one......JM

#28 9 years ago

Dredd also has speed. I was just so turned off by the wizard mode. Months of trying to get to it. Then once I got to it I realized I had already done it earlier.

#29 9 years ago

Had both, still have JM. JM makes my IM seem slow...and I'm dead serious. JM is greased lightning. Fastest ramps ever, crazy loops. Glove slows her down a tad, but Jesus...you need that break! JD is great too (better art and sound than Johnny), but just isn't as fun as JM. And Powerdown is one of the all time best wizard modes. Plus, midnight madness!!

#30 9 years ago

That's what I was saying earlier. JM is wicked fast and might be the fastest pin on earth. Speed always gets 1st place!

#31 9 years ago

Have very little time on JM but I will say JD is the better theme IMO. Plus JD has lots of ramps, killer artwork, great flow, nice dots, and supergame for a change up.

#32 9 years ago

It's a battle for sure. Tough, tough call. Thanks for all the input thus far.
Anybody got an issue with Dredd not having pops? I might miss them.

#33 9 years ago

Had both, sold both, kind of want JD again

Both are good games can't go wrong with either one.

The glove killed the game play for me on Johnny as it was a pita to keep working 100 %. Great idea and strategy setting up jackpot shots just wish it was more reliable. Also wished it moved faster. Game does have a very good wizard mode.

JD can also have an issue with the dead world mod where the game forgets a ball is up there also feel that JD is a wizard mode away from being a great game. Game has some great upper pf shots too but at times seems like they should be worth more if you can keep the ball flowing up there

#34 9 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

Anybody got an issue with Dredd not having pops? I might miss them

I LOVE my Dredd, and the lack of pop bumpers doesn't worry me too much as the other machines in my collection have those. I've never owned a JM or played one (on my wish list though) BUT the fact that JD has the super game option, well, that sways my vote right there. Anyone who says that Super Game is "slow" is losing their 6 balls toooo fast

#35 9 years ago
Quoted from rollitover:

It's a battle for sure. Tough, tough call. Thanks for all the input thus far.
Anybody got an issue with Dredd not having pops? I might miss them.

Pops are way overrated!

Didn't miss them on any pin that doesn't have them. Only on pins with an open jets design (e.g. CV) they make sense, but apart from that they just slow gameplay down and take up space.

#36 9 years ago

JD, great bang for buck, will rise in price, color DMD dots are great! Fun to pimp out!

#37 9 years ago

Hands down Johnny Mnemonic!

#38 9 years ago

I have owned both and JMn frequently had problems with the hand. I thought JMn was a fast fun game but the hand slowed things down. Cool video mode. If I could have one of them back it would be JD.

#39 9 years ago

I just don't like Judge Dredd. It was the second shortest time I owned a game due to that. So out of the two, I'd pick JM. However that never quite scratched the itch for me either.

So without looking at your collection, I'd say "other". And then I'd randomly toss out game I feel are better like Getaway, BSD, Dr Who, Demo Man... There are a ton of great games from that era.

#40 9 years ago

Oh lord, the glove and spinner comment seems to be on a reel to reel, I've owned my JM for almost 5 years, no issues with the glove, as a matter a fact I think it's a cool toy, the game is so f-ing fast you need the glove to catch your breath. Also I've owned JD in the past for several years, like it a lot but I'd take Johnny over it, same goes for congo and BSD. Fish Tales I have and it's staying put like JM.

#41 9 years ago

I've owned both and sold JD, Still own JM and prefer JM by a sizeable margin. JD has the better theme and artwork but JM has far more enjoyable rules and better gameplay.

JD is still a good game and I kinda miss it but the rule-set just never clicked with me. I'm not a fan of Supergame at all so I rarely played it and the Wizard mode is really disappointing. I also think that the "Crime Scene" aspect of the rule-set could have been implemented better into the rules. I mostly ignore them and just just take the awards that are given (extra ball, etc.) The modes aren't bad but I could do without a few of them (Manhunt, Bad Impersonator). I usually find myself just trying to start multiball and cheat to the wizard mode that way vs. slogging through all of the modes. The game does flow really well for a widebody but does not feel as tight or fast as JM. The left ramp is far too easy to repeat. Still a great bang for the buck machine but not among my favorites

JM on the other hand just "clicks" with me. I love the wizard mode and the rule-set. Besides the spinner millions exploit I think they are pretty much perfect. There's only a handful of modes yet the wizard mode is still pretty difficult to get to if your game is setup hard and fast. I also like that you need to do well and collect "Gigabytes" to reach Powerdown. I actually like the grid and the strategy behind some of the choices. The video mode is also a favorite of mine as it is difficult to master yet offers some great payouts. I also like that your grid choices affect which shots are jackpots in Multiball. Yakuza is also very rewarding as are most of the throwing stars awards. My favorite thing is just how well the game flows and how fast it is! When you get on a roll the game just sings and those orbit shots are fast! gameplay/layout wise it is one of my favorite games of all time. If it were themed as "The Matrix" I think it would be a top 5 game for me. Not only is it my favorite game that typically sells for $2000 or less but I think it may be my favorite $3500 and less game. I'd put it in the same tier for me as games like Shadow, BSD and Congo and I think I may like it the best of that group which is saying a lot.

#42 9 years ago

Based on the poll results it might be safe to say that this one's a toss-up.
Perhaps the only thing left to do is buy one, play it/keep it for a period of time then sell and buy the other. Hard for me to let them go once I have them though. Mmmm...

#43 9 years ago

Johnny for me. Just played mine last night for a couple hours. Judge Dredd is cool, but it just doesnt do enough for me to own one.

#44 9 years ago

Have owned both, JD hands down. I loathed JM.

#45 9 years ago

Johnny over Dredd. JM has a great wizard mode in Powerdown. JD shoot everything for 10 million. Boooooring!

#46 9 years ago

And then the late surge for Johnny!
---took a slight lead in the poll as of 2/27a.m.

Thanks everybody for your opinions and feed back!
Much appreciated.

#47 9 years ago

Do it for Johnny!!

#48 9 years ago
#49 9 years ago

I love both these games and regret selling them first time around. They are both back in my collection right now for Round #2 and don't see myself selling either again. JM is really fast with great flow except for the data glove/matrix but it gives you a chance to catch you breath from continuously linking the 3 orbits and ramps. But if I had to choose I would say long term JD is the better game with more shot variety. Thankfully both these games have stayed under the radar over the years and didn't get affected by "pinflation" locally here.

#50 9 years ago

I prefer Dredd, but I do really like JMN. That said, Dredd has to be in good condition to be fun. A bad playing JD is WAY worse than a bad playing JMN. Most of the Superpins are like that though.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 35.00
Cabinet - Other
Rocket City Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Cabinet - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

$ 19.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Plastics
Gameroom Mods

$ 99.99
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Lighted Pinball Mods

5,300 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Minneapolis, MN
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 17.99
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

6,550 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Pasadena, TX
$ 165.00
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
DevilsMuse Arcade

€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 22.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 329.99
Lighting - Other
Lighted Pinball Mods

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Morristown, NJ
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 30.00
Playfield - Other
YouBentMyWookie

$ 29.50
Playfield - Plastics
Pinball Haus

$ 85.00
$ 9.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 72.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 65.00
Cabinet - (Alt) Translites
Pinball Haus

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

There are 71 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-or-judge/page/1 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.