(Topic ID: 51116)

Johnny Mnemonic left ramp cover artwork...

By tamoore

6 years ago

Topic Stats

• 31 posts
  • 13 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 3 years ago by xTheBlackKnightx
  • Topic is favorited by 9 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 5 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

jmramp.jpg
jm_transparancy.jpg
IMG_0113.jpg
JM_Left_Ramp_Cover.jpg
JM_Left_Ramp_Cover.png

#1 6 years ago

I found a good pic of this, and touched up some artwork to print a decal.

Seems that this piece is often missing or broken, and a lot of people need this art.

Hopefully, having this here will aid someone in the future who searches for this piece.

You will need to scale it appropriately before you print, as I haven't done that yet.

JM_Left_Ramp_Cover.png

#2 6 years ago

Cool, nice work. My left ramp cover is worn and broken... will need replacing someday.

My right ramp cover is clear and has no printing on it at all. Is this typical for what you guys have or is mine a replacement?

#3 6 years ago
Quoted from canea:

Cool, nice work. My left ramp cover is worn and broken... will need replacing someday.
My right ramp cover is clear and has no printing on it at all. Is this typical for what you guys have or is mine a replacement?

I believe this is typical, since it's under the other ramp and mostly obscured.

#4 6 years ago

I absolutely need this! Thank you so much!

Now I need to figure out what to do next.

#5 6 years ago

I absolutely need this! Thank you so much!
Now I need to figure out what to do next.

I cut a piece of plexiglass and formed it with a belt sander, and I'll print the decal to scale onto a clear sticker and put it on the piece.

Here's the plexi piece I made.

JM_Left_Ramp_Cover.jpg

#6 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I cut a piece of plexiglass and formed it with a belt sander, and I'll print the decal to scale onto a clear sticker and put it on the piece.
Here's the plexi piece I made.

Nice. I am inspired.

#7 6 years ago

Thank you for this. I have the plastic cover in place but no artwork and I have been looking for something like this for a while. I have a buddy that does great work making decals so now I can get this done. I will see if he will do some extras and maybe I can pass them along. No promises though. Gotta see what he is willing to do first.

#8 6 years ago
Quoted from EvilJack:

Thank you for this. I have the plastic cover in place but no artwork and I have been looking for something like this for a while. I have a buddy that does great work making decals so now I can get this done. I will see if he will do some extras and maybe I can pass them along. No promises though. Gotta see what he is willing to do first.

That's pretty cool.

#9 6 years ago

Ha! We had been looking for that and emailed around my husband recreated it from a picture and right after he finished someone emailed him with a scan (maybe it was you?) and we finally got a vinyl print and cut out a new ramp cover, installed Friday. There seems to be a trend with JM fixes getting posted *right* after we get it figured out.
Solution: Procrastinate with fixing JM issues

#10 6 years ago

Ha! We had been looking for that and emailed around my husband recreated it from a picture and right after he finished someone emailed him with a scan

(that's me!)
I recreated the artwork based on the assortment of crappy images I could find of the part on the internet, with a couple of aesthetic improvements imho (though the colors didn't end up matching quite right... oh well). Like my lovely wife mentioned, after I did all of this stuartr7 sent me a great image of his, which would have saved me a lot of effort had I procrastinated a bit. I also cut the plastic out of polycarbonate because I've been told it won't ever break, as the original was prone to doing.

*EDIT* If anyone wants the vector file (.ai) let me know.
IMG_0113.jpg

#11 6 years ago

Transparency printed in color...

jm_transparancy.jpg

#12 6 years ago

do you have measurements for the size? I havent had the time to get mine measured and thats all I need for my friend to print some of these.

#13 6 years ago

I would see if toxicwes has the size. His plastic looks pretty correct. Mine is scaled to fit an incorrect plastic that I had already made.....

#14 6 years ago

I have another question for you guys about the ramp...how is it attached? Mine seems to only have the one upper nut. On the right there's a hole, but beneath it is a grommet of some sort and I don't know what to attach to it or if anything ever was attached to it. In toxicwes's photo there's a screw where I've added a question mark. Is that added on?

jmramp.jpg

#15 6 years ago

ahh.. so this is why my ball keeps rolling on the plastic to the left sometimes when i hit the ramp... doh...

#16 6 years ago
Quoted from canea:

I have another question for you guys about the ramp...how is it attached? Mine seems to only have the one upper nut. On the right there's a hole, but beneath it is a grommet of some sort and I don't know what to attach to it or if anything ever was attached to it. In toxicwes's photo there's a screw where I've added a question mark. Is that added on?

A previous owner of our machine drilled a hole in the ramp at the lower screw location as the sole support for their plastic replacement, which didn't work very well. When I made my plastic I utilized the new screw hole to add stability, as I didn't think the one up-top where the light is mounted would be enough. While I'm not thrilled to have additional holes in the ramp, the cover is solid as a rock now.

#18 6 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I would see if toxicwes has the size. His plastic looks pretty correct. Mine is scaled to fit an incorrect plastic that I had already made.....

Mine is 4.25" from the flat left side to the furthest point on the right side. Keep in mind, I didn't have the original to go off of, and while I tried to match the "spirit" of it, mine is custom and if you have pre existing plastic it might not fit.

Post edited by toxicwes : grammar gremlins

#19 6 years ago
Quoted from toxicwes:

A previous owner of our machine drilled a hole in the ramp at the lower screw location as the sole support for their plastic replacement, which didn't work very well. When I made my plastic I utilized the new screw hole to add stability, as I didn't think the one up-top where the light is mounted would be enough. While I'm not thrilled to have additional holes in the ramp, the cover is solid as a rock now.

Yeah, the one up top doesn't seem to be nearly enough. I think having only that one point for all the balls' impacts is why all these get broken.

#20 6 years ago
Quoted from canea:

Yeah, the one up top doesn't seem to be nearly enough. I think having only that one point for all the balls' impacts is why all these get broken.

I drilled the rivet out on the right side that holds the metal ramp protector to the ramp, and then just shot a screw right through my plastic, the ramp, and the metal ramp protector and fastened with a nut on the back side...

I think you can see that in the pic I posted above.

#21 6 years ago

I will look at mine but I swore it has a nut and a screw holding it down.
I will take mine off this evening and try and get a good measure. I don't know if mine is original or not but it looks damn close. We should really beg CPR to try and do a replica of these.

#22 6 years ago

Wow. I didn't even know this was missing on mine. Does anyone have an outline of the original plastic that I may use as a template?

Thanks!

#23 6 years ago

Checked mine, I do have a screw on the right hand side. In fact the spotlight is mounted to that screw instead of the nut like I see in most photos. Will post a photo later.

1 week later
#24 6 years ago

Ok finally got a photo uploaded. Would have been done sooner but its been a PIA. Its hard to see but there is a screw with a nut on the bottom holding down the cover on the right side, along with the spot light. I am guessing from other photos I have seen I need to relocate my spot light to the upper nut.

Does my cover look like a factory cover or a custom made one? If its factory I may see what I can do about a template for others to copy.

Also, my friend is working on the decal, but he has been real busy so not sure if he has made any progress just yet. Hoping he might as I may see him tomorrow.

// Error: Image 105058 not found //

#25 6 years ago
Quoted from EvilJack:

Ok finally got a photo uploaded. Would have been done sooner but its been a PIA. Its hard to see but there is a screw with a nut on the bottom holding down the cover on the right side, along with the spot light. I am guessing from other photos I have seen I need to relocate my spot light to the upper nut.
Does my cover look like a factory cover or a custom made one? If its factory I may see what I can do about a template for others to copy.
Also, my friend is working on the decal, but he has been real busy so not sure if he has made any progress just yet. Hoping he might as I may see him tomorrow.

Well, the factory one is screen printed on the under side, so that would be a custom.

#26 6 years ago
Quoted from toxicwes:

Well, the factory one is screen printed on the under side, so that would be a custom.

Ok, I was under the impression that they were all clear plastic with stickers since so many people were missing the art work. That and since the ramps are all decals.

#27 6 years ago

I manufactured mine then luckily one showed up at the Akron show. Thanks Marvin

2 years later
#28 4 years ago

Hi guys,some one knows where to find the left ramp cover or decal,
Thanks

3 months later
#30 3 years ago

I have this art if anyone needs it for a restore

4 months later
#31 3 years ago

"Necro Post Revival for Cause"

I own an overstock JM that was purchased NIB in 1996. Not all factory games had this artwork on this return ramp cover, but I have no idea why. My game had a clear return ramp cover. Right ramp had screen artwork decals. I have never had broken plastics on this game, and the "goodies bag" only contained the standard pieces and an extra set of slingshot plastics. This seems to have gone back in forth over the last two years. Original NOS plastics set DID have the left ramp screened artwork for the ramp cover, based on availability. My game was part of the end of the run based on its serial number database comparison.

Good to see someone reviving the artwork.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 135.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
Trade
Machine - For Trade
Baltimore, MD

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside