20240128_174741 (resized).jpg
20240119_155336 (resized).jpg
20240119_155442 (resized).jpg
IMG_3399 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3398 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240108_010115_Gallery (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240108_010045_Gallery (resized).jpg
2 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pimp77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#231 10 years ago

Hit me!

#236 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I'm impressed by this game. I'd only played it a couple times but always liked it. I jumped at the chance to buy a local, trustworthy example and I'm so glad I did. I'm looking forward to the learning the rules and strategy, but so dark just enjoy zoning out and enjoying the flow. The shots feel amazing - shot engineering is what GG does best (and better than anyone) IMO - and combining ramps and orbits at High Speed on this game is as good as any I've played.

Hmmm, while JM does have smooth great shots I would not say that about ALL of Gomez's other games, notably LOTR. MB and Corvette yes, but he is no Ritchie or Eddy for "shot engineering".

#246 10 years ago

What are you doing?

I'm making a long distance phone call...

2 weeks later
#313 10 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

MK3 codes? Why am I confused?

Both were Midway games...cross-advertising/promotion.

1 week later
#356 10 years ago
Quoted from Astropin:

I just picked up a NOS translite for my JM.
Almost as hard to find as playfield plastics!

I'm still looking for the left ramp plastic that covers the top of the ramp...anyone?

4 weeks later
#432 10 years ago
Quoted from fattrain:

The bird has landed (at Cliffys)....

IMG_3770.JPG 193 KB

Looks like sweet no fade cab!

#450 10 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

I think the plastic was designed this way - it's like that on every JM I've looked at. I thought mine was broken at first too, then I started looking at others.

Yes it is designed that way. It's not broken.

1 month later
#528 10 years ago

I thought the left flipper changed the mode for JM, but I haven't played in a while...

#551 10 years ago
Quoted from blondie7575:

When shopping for mine, I looked at about a dozen Johnnies. Four of them in person, the rest through detailed photos. Every single one of them is either missing that ramp cover, or it was damaged to varying degrees. The machine I bought has it, but it has been repaired in such a way that it would a bad candidate for scanning.
If there's a market for a single plastic on JM, it's that. I think the JM user base is too small for the parts reproducers to be interested, though.
Someone here on pinside did reproduce it themselves, and a vector of that decal is available. I can't seem to find it now, though. It was definitely posted here at some point. I've seen the vector file with my own two eyes...

I've got the vector file...I'll PM the OP tomorrow.

2 weeks later
#604 10 years ago
Quoted from blondie7575:

Another gameplay question-
How does everyone handle the ball when it dribbles out the bottom of the jet bumper area? It heads for the right sling, seems a bit unpredictable how it's going to hit it.
I used to simply hold the left flipper up, because the ball reliably bounced gently off the sling (without firing it) over to that left, then rolled off the tip back to the right flipper for an easy cradle.
Something has changed though, and my game is no longer doing that. The ball can now be quite difficult to handle coming out of the jets. Sometimes it fires that sling and regaining control becomes very difficult. Sometimes it hits the very bottom of the sling and drains STDM if you're not really paying attention. Most of the time it still bounces to the left flipper, but it's wilder and harder to settle down. My game is clean and level, but I did change the flipper rubbers. That seems to when be the predictability of this moment when down.
Anyone know how it's "supposed" to come down from the jets?

It is supposed to hit the right sling and be wild...

#618 10 years ago
Quoted from VolunteerPin:

Input wanted...
I'm thinking about joining this club. I have a nice one lined up with minimal fade and a really nice playfield. 100% working at a good price.
I've never played one before but have heard great things. Any thoughts on gameplay?

Jesus...go get it!!! Minimal fade is RARE and if it's a good price you probably missed out. Gameplay is fast and furious. I'm not a fan of the video mode, but you can usually avoid it if you want. Check ramps and the left ramp plastic cover as those are usually cracked, broken, or missing entirely.

2 weeks later
#638 10 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

Spent the morning making a new ramp cover. Turned out ok, i doubt that i will be able to get it much better. I wish someone would make repo plastics for this game.

20140418_125602.jpg 356 KB

PM Sent...

1 week later
#650 10 years ago

There's got to be a hot dog stand around here somewhere...

3 weeks later
#676 9 years ago

I really love this game. Has anyone ever beat the pop-bumper mode? How many hits do you have to get to get an item at crazy bob's? I just saw the accordion playing aliens twice last night, and have "beat" all the other modes except the pop bumper one.

#679 9 years ago

Mine are pretty active, although if the ball goes through the middle lane it likely won't get any pop hits unless I give it a nudge to the side. The arrangement doesn't allow it hold the ball too long in there either.

#681 9 years ago
Quoted from blondie7575:

Mine vary a lot. Sometimes the ball seems to get into a rhythm and the pops fire like cannons for a minute straight. Other times, the ball dribbles limply through the crowd with firing a single one.
I really like the mini-game of lining up the unlit lane lights with the flipper buttons in order to light them all and increase the bonus. It's especially great in NAS cure mode, because the hand keeps putting the ball right back in there for you.
However, it really bugs me that the Got To Get Through This Crowd mode (forget which one that is) does not give you the bonus for clearing the lanes. It says it does on the DMD, it plays the sound, and it clears the lane lights, but then doesn't increase the bonus on the playfield. I guess this is to prevent the mode from being a runaway bonus generator since you're firing into the pops over and over, but it makes me feel a bit cheated out of a bonus or two.

Yeah, I've noticed getting screwed out if the bonus too. Just remember to not get that third lane until that mode ends! Are the lane lights sluggish at times for other people? Especially after the skillshot?

#682 9 years ago
Quoted from blondie7575:

It's not actually a number of hits that you need, but rather dumping it back into the crowd four times. Four spinner or right loop shots will light Crazy Bob's in this mode.

Hmmm, what is the point of the pop counter during the mode then?

#694 9 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Hmmm, restarting throwing spikes just be in the settings? My game doesn't reset it.

Mine doesn't either. It's not the default setting if there is one at all...

#697 9 years ago

So, a few observations in playing tonight:
1) I swear I saw the No Fear skull when I strung a bunch of combos together on the DMD with Steve Ritchie saying "Again"!!!!
2) There is ZERO grace period on mode timers...frustrating when you hit a shot right as it goes out and you don't get credit.
3) the video mode gets way easier the more you play. Round 2 is still tough, but you can pick up the extra ball at least.
4) Powerdown may be the best wizard mode out there...top 3 at least. Got there once tonight.
5) I swear the Frenzy music is the same as the Vengeance music in Shadow, but if not they are very similar.
6) if Spinner Millions gets lit I am draining in seconds...it's a law I guess because it happens every time.

#709 9 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Johnny just got a new set of nuts. Yay!

Mnemonic nuts.jpg 105 KB

Blue powder on Johnny? Can I see some pics of that? I bought mine with orange powder...matches the faded red! LOL! Looks decent, but I like the stainless look.

#710 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

CRAP!!! My magnet switch just broke.

Not really needed, but an easy fix...

#722 9 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

Not sure if this is relevant but my JM came with ramp protectors from the factory (I think)?

Around the bend/turn? That's what we want. The entrances and sides are protected from the factory. The bends in the ramp get blown out.

#742 9 years ago
Quoted from Radiowing:

Thanks for the thoughts guys. I understand the logic of the virtual ball lock - The Getaway would do the same thing. I just can't imagine that they would have allowed them to go out the door with software that allowed it to pick up 2 balls from the matrix and confuse itself. That being said I think I will investigate code versions available for this game...I had not thought of that possibility. My only other thought on how to solve this would be to put a resistor in the circuit that powers the puck magnet to reduce the magnetic force. It would be a fine line (if there is one) between still functional enough to grab/catch a ball and too much power.

Just a thought, but is your ball I hand switch working? Doesn't that switch activate the lower power hold for the magnet? Mine almost picks up two, but never has.

#759 9 years ago
Quoted from MustangPaul:

Those nuts are CRAZY expensive. $7 and $8 each for NUTS!

It would take a hell of a lot more than that to buy MY nuts!

#772 9 years ago
Quoted from retro_p:

Just modded my flippers with black bats and white super-bands, and it looks unbelievable. I love it.

2014-06-09 20.35.09.jpg 305 KB

Looks good but don't the LEDs under the inlane plastics blind you? It's clear there...had to take them out of mine and put incandescents back for those.

4 weeks later
#839 9 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

I'm getting some ramp corner covers laser cut for my left and right ramps. Anyone need some? I'm missing my rights one, but thought I'd get a few of each made.

Already made one for myself, but LOTS of people need that left ramp plastic!

1 week later
#871 9 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

I have the plastic ramp covers made. Hope it's not infringing anything. Getting some decals made for them too if wanted-I thnk I prefer clear. Got 20 made, pm me if needed. $20 for left and right. On the right, had to drill a small home as mine had a rivet so couldn't use that to attach it. I'll post pics of the decals when I get them, you can use them if you like

image.jpg 248 KB

image-224.jpg 223 KB

Not to rain on your parade, but that left ramp plastic is only about half there! It should wrap around the switch on the left and cover the ramp incline more...

Edit...I think the right one is cut wrong too.

#873 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

My question is if indeed they're a little shorter than the originals, do they still keep the ball from flying off? That's all that would matter to me.

I suspect the front edges (especially the left one) of these covers will take a pounding and likely even straight up reject shots to the ramp. When I first got my JM it had a makeshift cover that was similar to these and it rejected shots often. The front edge got bashed in too. These need redone in my opinion.

#874 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I suspect the front edges (especially the left one) of these covers will take a pounding and likely even straight up reject shots to the ramp. When I first got my JM it had a makeshift cover that was similar to these and it rejected shots often. The front edge got bashed in too. These need redone in my opinion.

Edit: just go to your local plastics shop, get some plastic and make your own with a dremel. Print a decal on a clear sticker and your golden. That's what I did.

1 week later
#923 9 years ago
Quoted from SealClubber:

Mine says it sometimes but the flasher doesn't lite or do anything (that I can tell) when I make the shot. Flasher works in test mode and works after I complete a mode like it should. I am not sure what is triggering the call out to test it with the glass off. Basically, I am not sure if it is a bug or there is an aspect of the game I am unsure of since I have only owned it a few months.

Yeah, it only lights when an item is available to collect I think. It won't light all the time it says "get to crazy bob's" or whatever it says. Also, make sure a flasher is installed and not a lamp. When I got my game some yahoo had a severely fried regular bulb in there.

1 month later
#1014 9 years ago
Quoted from DoubleDanger:

Hi everyone - new JM owner here! I had never played this machine before buying it, but I am really glad I did - the flow and speed are just as great as everyone says. I'm still getting the hang of the rules and learning how to maximize my score, but I'm really enjoying it so far.

Yes they did! I ordered one from BAA and got it installed - here's a pic of it in place. Installation wasn't too bad, but it did require removing the large ramp from the matrix, the Crazy Bob's sign and plastic, and the lowest pop bumper cap. It is locked down by a post in the diverter below the bumpers and a screw behind the blue rubber square.
I do have one question - does the triangular piece of plastic in this photo, to the left of Crazy Bob's, serve any purpose? It looks like something should be attached to it, but comparing my game to other photos, nothing appears to be missing. It doesn't even seem like the ball is tall enough to bump into it - just trying to figure out why it's there!

IMG_0198.JPG 215 KB

Your triangle piece is installed wrong...it's there to prevent air balls.

4 months later
#1110 9 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

You're going to get the GI OCD board right. If not I hope you like the flickering effect when they dim.

Yes, you'll have to disable dimming if not...

1 week later
#1157 9 years ago

No cliffy for right ramp? That's the one that's usually blown out...

2 weeks later
#1182 9 years ago
Quoted from TaylorVA:

thanks. I looked at a couple but only saw what it awarded, not how to qualify.
I also read that there is a light behind that plastic which I don't think works on the one I have, it's a temp trade, so that has been part of my confusion as it just seemed to award stuff without any indication.
Thanks again...I'm going to go make a long distance phone call.

It's a flasher Taylor...906. When I got mine someone had a 555 bulb in there that was blackened. Throw a 906 in there and test in the flasher test menu with the coin door closed. It's tough to light, but should be obvious when it does get lit.

2 months later
#1412 8 years ago
Quoted from shakenbake:

Just picked up an HUO JM on the way back from Allentown!! Color DMD is on the way and hardware will be stripped for powder coating this week!!

Sweet! Post pics!

#1425 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Today I received a set of JM reproduction plastics (made in Brazil). Since my machine is still being restored, can anyone tell me if this set is complete?
20150505_180937.jpg (Click image to enlarge)20150505_180949.jpg (Click image to enlarge)20150505_181007.jpg (Click image to enlarge)20150505_181021.jpg (Click image to enlarge)20150505_181044.jpg (Click image to enlarge)20150505_181059.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

That's awesome! I know a ton of people need that left ramp cover plastic...including me! Where did you buy them?

#1504 8 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Hey guys! Happy to say I just purchased my second pin and joined the club. Very excited about this game. Found a great deal from a homeowner who was not a pinball collector. All the bulbs were burnt out and he didn't even know how to open the back box! He had owned it for 8 years. Miraculously, no battery damage. Just spent the last week shopping out the game and it is in fabulous shape!
A question - during my shop job, I added target foam to the standup targets near both out lanes. Now the targets are not registering. Do you guys have foam on those targets? Maybe I just need to adjust the leafs? It's only my second game - so I am still a noob on a lot of little things. This may be one of those noob issues.

Adjust the contacts.

#1527 8 years ago
Quoted from Pinterest:

I greased the inside of the gears with synthetic brake grease. I did not lubricate the x or y nuts at all - but will probably use a dab of white lithium grease at some point.

Don't lube the nuts...they will spray it all over your playfield (at least the y one will).

#1533 8 years ago

Mine is orange...matches the fade quite nicely. I gotta keep it from fading to yellow now!

1 week later
#1574 8 years ago
Quoted from Elicash:

Hey guys - really appreciate all the help getting the glove fixed. I used the recommended lubricants and followed the BlondieHacks blog. Everything is working great now, what a fun game!
I have a couple scoring/strategy questions -
If I start a mode then go into Multiball, can you stack points with jackpots and mode goals? It seems like the mode is not running during Multiball, but I can't tell.
Yakuza Strike - I may be wrong but it seems that this mode is very annoying. Am I missing something good about this? I almost always let this time out become it impedes shots to the throwing spike awards, modes, and locks. Again, am I missing something?
"Light" Crazy Bob's / Pamex Doubler - I don't understand this award. Is this a doubler like a 2X playfield type thing?
Jackpots during multiball - they seem small, but can I stack these with things like "Spinner Millions" and Super Loops?
Thanks for any help.

Yakuza blocks other stuff, but it's a pretty good scoring mode. Do not just let it time out! The Pemex Doubler and other similar items come into play during the wizard mode, Power Down...plus, they are worth a ton of points! Read the rule sheet if you want to know more.

1 month later
#1750 8 years ago
Quoted from Drewblood419:

I'm joining the club. Just scored this sweet JM at SFGE last week. This game is a blast!!!!! It came with a new set of ramps is anyone making decals for them yet?

image.jpg image_1.jpg image_2.jpg

The reds are beautiful on that cabinet, but Johnny is...off? Those must be repro decals, right?

#1754 8 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Joined the club what a awesome but frustrating playing pin lol.i believe the only thing im missing is the plastic cover for the right ramp everything else is perfect on the play field..20150628_221539.jpg 20150628_221524.jpg

Congrats! Its a sweet game! I reluctantly just let mine go to a friend, but instantly replaced it with a RBION.

Johnny will be missed.

1 month later
#1888 8 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

It a persistance of vision effect. So that the 320 flashes but the gb doesn't. Doesn't work either!

Mine does.

#1901 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

So..... after the first "fail"....
IMG_0006 (3).JPG

Nice, but why is Johnny yellow?

#1903 8 years ago
Quoted from Archytas:

That's how its supposed to be. Might just be the photo if you think it should look more orange than yellow?

Not the text...Johnny himself.

#1907 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

WTF ?!?!?!?!?!?
ebay.com link » Johnny Mnemonic Promo Pinball Speaker Cutout Nos Rare

LOL!

2 weeks later
#1973 8 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

Here you are. I still have incandescents in my backbox. So that would be cooler in color. But the blue is based off the translite.

IMG_20150830_163750.jpg IMG_20150830_163743.jpg

Is yours a prototype translight? I've never seen that one.

#1986 8 years ago
Quoted from agodfrey:

Y'all crazy Total Recall and Johnny were cinematic wonders. I love them!!!

Total Recall, hell yes. Johnny Mnenomic, HAAAAAAAHAHAHAHA!

1 week later
#2045 8 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Who said JM is a bad movie?
Now, THAT is a bad movie:
vampire-girl-vs-frankenstein-girl.jpg

I'd argue that that is a very good movie!

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.50
$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pimp77.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-mnemonic-is-there-an-owners-club-yet?tu=pimp77 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.