20240128_174741 (resized).jpg
20240119_155336 (resized).jpg
20240119_155442 (resized).jpg
IMG_3399 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3398 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240108_010115_Gallery (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240108_010045_Gallery (resized).jpg
2 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider canea.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#62 10 years ago

Hi JM owners! Happy to say I can join the club now! I just spent the weekend disassembling the glove and getting it all back together, and making numerous other adjustments to my JM. I'm enjoying the gameplay, but haven't made it to powerdown yet. I like how you can line up the balls for the jackpots according to what shots you are best at hitting if you want to play it that way.

My only complaint is that the playfield is dark. I'm really liking all the images here with the blue GI, so maybe I will be able to experiment a bit in that direction soon. I have added "make plastic robotic dolphin mod" to my list as well.

Oh, and if anyone finds the cab decal motherlode, I need them too.

5 months later
#75 10 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

just joined up, great pin, annoying video mode

Video mode grows on you. It's like Pacman's mentally disabled little brother. Too bad wave 4 seems impossible.

1 week later
#79 10 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

someone that has theirs town down can make a scan of their PF in that area, then send you the file. You can have that printed off onto decal "paper" whatever it is, water decal stock, and make your own. Unless we can find someone that has already scanned the area..... Vid made a guide on pinside for this!

I made illustrator files of the three jet lane inserts for him, so for future reference, I've got them. CG, did you get them put on?

#86 10 years ago
Quoted from vtec16:

Midnight madness is outstanding. When it happened to me I had no idea it was in the game, I thought my machine was dying at first lol.

I hate to be the Debbie Downer on Midnight Madness, but I've started avoiding it! It almost always happens when I have multiball already going (though to be fair, the game does remember if you've got a ball or two in the matrix when madness starts, so it won't screw you out of multiball when it comes up later). It never helps my score and doesn't progress the modes either. I don't hate fun but I guess JM just makes me impatient to get the modes going and not die in the process!

My JM is still offline - should just be a day or two more. Repainted and redecaled, gearbox taken apart and lubed, LEDs in the matrix...ready to rip.

#97 10 years ago
Quoted from Frankenator:

So glad to finally be in this club, I LOVE me some Johnny! So does completing a mode(s) reward you with more time in Power Down or does it make the shots more valuable during the wizard mode?

Not directly. However, completing a mode will light Crazy Bob's, and at then Crazy Bob's will give you an item (the first being Pemex Doubler). If you hit Crazy Bob's during powerdown you can "use" the items you've collected for more time in the powerdown meter on the DMD. That's how I understand it anyway, but powerdown is usually so fast and furious it's hard to tell sometimes.

#106 10 years ago

If all you guys are missing that part maybe hit up Cliffy and see if he can make a run. I think he was planning on doing a Cliffy protector set for JM so maybe he could include it as an optional part. Just a thought.

But yeah, that part doesn't seem to be anywhere. Not even sure what to call it.

#112 10 years ago

It's stock and mine has it as well. I agree that they probably just got lost when someone careless took off the center ramp. Which equates to quite a few careless folks, but it is an easy piece to forget to put back on and it's not super obvious where it goes unless you looked at it before you took it off.

Quoted from lpeters82:

PSS: Just wondering how many owners here have adjusted their spinners to create more balanced scoring.

Nah. Racking up ridiculous spinner millions is FUN, man!

#121 10 years ago

Couple pics. Measures 2 5/8 inches (length of metal without the curve) by 15/16. Bracket on the back is 1/2 inch wide by 5/8 deep. The metal is noticeably thicker and more solid than what I've seen Cliffy use. Slightly rounded edges. Hope this helps. Good luck.

diverter1.jpgdiverter1.jpg
diverter2.jpgdiverter2.jpg
diverter3.jpgdiverter3.jpg
diverter4.jpgdiverter4.jpg

#122 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

It's almost an automatic jackpot to get a ball to go to the lanes on multiball start, too.....

Yeah, the diverter is somewhat important when you have the balls stacked up the left side because like you said, you're going to get at least a jackpot or two when those balls start bouncing around in the jet lanes...

#126 10 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

This should be an easy one.

Their construction should be exceedingly simple, I think.

Nightmare_Before_Christmas_Dr_F.jpgNightmare_Before_Christmas_Dr_F.jpg
1 week later
#140 10 years ago

Guess I'm sort of guilty of the "blue" look but I've been happy with it! I moved both the red domes down the bottom and did the slings and most of right side in red. Ramps and left side in blue. Pops in bright green.

jmled.jpgjmled.jpg

#151 10 years ago
Quoted from Jeffreez:

Anyone know where I could find a Translight, mine has about 12 holes and is annoying (one dead center of Keanu's head) and the ramps are beat up pretty bad

I've got a spare translite. It's not great, but it might be better than what you've got. It has quite a few areas of loss that someone repaired with a sharpie (which doesn't work so great, by the way), but it displays OK save for a mark up near the title. I can throw some pics up if you want to compare.

#152 10 years ago

Hey other JM owners,

I was tired of my JM not having a promo plastic for the key and since they seem to be somewhat scarce I made some of my own. Apron logo on one side, Keanu's fat head on the other. Nothing fancy, but better than nothing. I've got four extras. PM me with your street address and I'll send you one!

keychains.jpgkeychains.jpg
#157 10 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

Nice work Champ

All keychains spoken for. Thanks guys and I hope they come in useful for you.

#164 10 years ago
Quoted from Rcade:

Wooooo! Another great, adrenaline filled game! Best score I've gotten yet, had that spinner shot dialed in this morning. Feelin' good!

Damn.

#188 10 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Me three!!! Thanks Canea!

Cool, glad they made it guys!

Quoted from usandthem:

Just got a JM-- Love it! One design flaw though in my opinion is when the ball comes down from the pops, it rolls down the right side of the left ramp and directly onto the right sling. What's the deal with that? Also, I have a question about strategy. When you're going into the matrix and there is one of the nine spaces on the matrix blinking, is that the one that you clearly go for? It seems like you get an award of some kind regardless of where you put the ball on that thing.
Thanks!

I don't know that it's a design flaw, just the way it comes out of the chute beneath the pops. It is sort of clumsy though. Mine acts predictably off the right sling 99% of the time, but the other 1% of the time the sling doesn't trigger and it will drain down the middle if you're not watching. You could tinker with the sling sensitivity a bit and it might make it feel better for you.

I'd also like to know what the light blinking in the matrix means. I always assumed that the blinking space was the last space that Crazy Bob's just "revealed," but could be wrong on that.

1 week later
#220 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

Random order! You have to keep an eye on both the matrix, and the DMD....

Yupe, it's an acquired skill, but one you do eventually acquire! If you're planning on having a good game you really do have to watch those and play the matrix well. If I'm just playing a quick game or not feeling patient that day I'll just drop it in where ever. The 50 gigabyte award is a pretty good one too as you'll need those extra gigabytes to make it to powerdown if you suck up the modes.

#245 10 years ago
Quoted from Frankenator:

Sorry if this is a spoiler but there is a cheat code that will make the first mode shot up the middle start powerdown when you start a new game (if you ever wanted to either practice the mode or see what's happening on the DMD while it's going on).
Before pressing Start for a new game you clear any codes with both flipper buttons at the same time. Then using Right and Left flipper buttons spell "ACE" with R, L, RRR, L, RRRRR, L as if you were entering initials after a high score but using Left flipper instead of the start button. You will hear an audio tone from the speakers that is confirmation you've entered it successfully. Now your first shot up the middle starts powerdown. If you don't want this "tainted" version to end up on your high scores be sure to shut the machine off before ending your game. Have fun.

Cool! Will try this soon. I haven't gotten to powerdown for quite awhile. I think I'm loosing my skillz!

My glove's been acting up a bit. It's occasionally sluggish to move forward or backward when in matrix mode and failed the hand self test once when I checked it (though doesn't throw a credit dot), but moves fine in all automatic functions. Most of the time it's totally fine, just sometimes seems off which is annoying. I've checked everything I could think of it and it all seems OK, including the opto spinner on the screw. Johnny Demonic...

#251 10 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

I had the same issue after owning my JM for about a year I looked in the back of the hand mech, the screw drive that the hand rides on was a bit dry so I lubed it with some graphite dry lube and it's been A-OK since.

I'll try that. I haven't put any lube on the Y screw. Seems like it just ends up in the loop where it's impossible to clean! JM can build up an amazing amount of dirt everywhere.

#256 10 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

Anyone ever looked in the back of the playfield where the diverters are and see if they wore into the pf? Any way to adjust them up some so they don't?

Mine have some wear. But I've also got some wear on the drop into the glove kicker, so I figured when Cliffy comes up with some protectors maybe I'll bother messing with the diverters!

2 weeks later
#327 10 years ago
Quoted from Tmezel:

You would of had to watch the movie, I put a storage container over the flasher. I might sell these if folks think it kinda cool. The circle you can see I will remove.

Nice work! Now about that melting Dolph Lundgren mod...

#334 10 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Rules question:
Seems like sometimes I get whatever mode I may be playing to lite after making just a few of the shots. Do you have to actually "beat" a mode to get it en route to powerdown?

Once you start a mode the mode should light no matter how poorly you play it, even if you were to drain immediately after starting it (that's never happened to anyone, right? hah). So you don't have to complete it for it to light. It is important to play well on at least a few of the modes, however, since the better you play the more gigabytes will be awarded (320 required to get to powerdown). Completing a mode also lights Crazy Bob's for one of the special items which also can help you in powerdown.

#336 10 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

I see.
So after I play all modes (regardless of how well) as long as I have 320 gb, Crazy Bob's sign lites for Powerdown? Is that where I'm shooting for start powerdown? Or is it the center again?
LOVING this game.

So once you get all the modes lit AND provided you have 320 gigabytes, Powerdown is started the same way all the other modes are: hit Crazy Bob's and then up the middle. If you don't have 320 gigabytes, powerdown won't even be an option - it just won't let the mode start. At that point, you're kind of screwed as there are only a few ways to get more gigabytes (on the matrix, skill shots, throwing spikes, etc.) and none of them are easy in the heat of the moment.

I still find JM really difficult. After a dry spell I got to powerdown again last week but only after setting the replay to an extra ball and boosting the ball save to 10 seconds.

#339 10 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Cool thanks for the info. The rulesheet, along with the manual rules are a bit difficult to understand. I don't want to cheat and enter the code to go straight to power down either. I want to experience it the normal way.
Really difficult game and I consider myself a decent player.

It's definitely a thrilling wizard mode to achieve without cheating. In the beginning I didn't have a tilt bob in my machine and that made things considerably easier With a new tilt bob back in it and the nudges set to 5, it's more of a challenge, but more rewarding. Still, days go by when I get absolutely no where on JM and just give up until it feels "right."

3 weeks later
#387 10 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

I got the movie on Blu-ray. Maybe that'll make me feel better??? maybe not. Haven't seen it yet, but I survived Congo and still love that machine............

Ouch on the glass. The movie will not make it all better unless you combine it with copious amounts of alcohol. We expect a complete report on your newfound love for Keanu in the morning.

#400 10 years ago
Quoted from skywalker:

power down is awesome wizard mode, i avoid video mode in the matrix like the plague, usually go for ex ball/50 GB/mystery award/super loops

You gotta play video mode to get its extra ball. You just have to convince yourself that it's fun!

Quoted from northvibe:

video mode is a B. One time I got to level 3, I think...i was drinking....

I'd be curious to know if anyone has gotten to level 4. I've been to level 3 plenty of times but it seems almost designed to be impossible.

#416 10 years ago
Quoted from karmalord:

Afterward I was able to play,but lost my extra ball opportunity as well. Wondering if this has happened to anyone else?

It happens. A glitch, I guess.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jm-midnight-madness-glitch-12r

#445 10 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

Still trying to get my "glove" to hold the ball more consistently. Replaced magnet - nope, tried adjusting switch - seems if I bend it down to activate easier it actually pushed the ball out. Ive got a dodgy weld job on top of the magnet holder - do others look like this inside? Should I just removed the holding switch?
thanksB

I think it looks fine inside. Your switch is intact and looks well aligned.

You could try taking the switch out entirely and see what happens. It might fix your problem (but will give you a credit dot). You can disconnect it completely or just mount it somewhere on the back of the glove assembly where it won't get nudged while you try it without it.

#469 10 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

but I managed to beat video mode.

!!! Yeah, how many levels?

#476 10 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

There are 4 levels. I can somewhat consistently get to the 4th level, but you get less time to complete it. The pinball gods must have thrown me a bone, because all the targets were grouped together. I believe 495mil is the award for beating the whole thing.

That's a loftier achievement than power down! Level 4 seems designed to not be beaten, but I can see that if everything was grouped together it might be possible. The best I've ever had in video mode is somewhere around 435 million.

#480 10 years ago
Quoted from DudeMcAwesome:

LEDs, I don't think I want to put them all over the machine and I saw the thread on putting them in the matrix and think that is pretty awesome and think replaceing the ones in the backbox would brighten it up a bit; Is there anywhere else LEDs would be preferable to incandescent?

The one addition to the backbox lighting that looks freaking rad is a color-changing LED in the slot right behind Keanu's head. It flashes, changes color and makes it looks like his brain might explode from that gigantic amount of data in there (uh, 320 gigabytes).

Quoted from DudeMcAwesome:

Follow up to the first question, do I have to bend the assembly to insert the new spinner when I get it or is there some secret technique to get the spinner in there?

I had to dig my spinner out of there once because it broke, and had been broken before. All I remember is that it was a huge pita getting it in and out and I'm praying it never breaks again! You might try just fixing your's with some epoxy. They probably all break in similar places.

1 week later
#495 10 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

Discovered another trick last night, not sure if it's common knowledge:
In video mode, you can move the circle significantly faster if you only use one direction at a time. Makes the first 3 stages very beatable.

I've noticed drastic differences in the speed of the circle, but I always assumed that the DMD doing other things affected it. For example, the circle seems very slow if you get video mode during the mode where Johnny is wading through the crowd (spinner/right loop to pops, sorry I forget the mode name), and other modes seem to slow it down a bit too. I pretty much play the video mode moving only in diagonals though, so maybe that's slowing it down like you say.

1 week later
#502 10 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

My first attempt at making a Jones mod. Hopefully will look alright hidden behind the Perspex tank.
image.jpg 140 KB

Great work! I think maybe we used the same dolphin?

I've still got a spare dolphin if anyone else wants to try their hand at making their own Jones. It looks like I'm never going to get around to it.

#503 10 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

Bay Area Amusements has replacements for cheap. It just isn't linked to the game specific parts.
http://bayareaamusements.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=TG-102161
I totally want a Jones mod.

This is REALLY good to know about. Thanks.

1 month later
#590 10 years ago
Quoted from blondie7575:

As promised, here's my little writeup on rebuilding the hand assembly. It's really not very difficult.
http://quinndunki.com/blondihacks/?p=1615

Thanks for doing the write-up. I know a lot of people will find it useful in the future and it's something several of us talked about doing, but of course were too lazy. I also learned the hard way on overtightening the lever nuts on the matrix. Ha.

#592 10 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

I read this review of the movie - quite interesting how it wan't supposed to be serious film - hence some of the acting.
http://www.switched.com/2011/02/11/overdue-reviews-johnny-mnemonic/
I have to say this is one of my favorite games still - just never get tired of it. Can't say the same for the film.....

Very interesting article on Johnny. I'd heard about the editing and directing mash-up before, but there's some other good stuff in there. In an odd way, the creators of the pinball machine also edited the movie to their liking... unless they were told very specifically not to include Dolph Lundgren's Jesus character (which is absent entirely from the pin) - an even more intriguing possibility. I've always thought they did an amazing job on the pin--almost made a terrible movie palatable. A for effort.

1 month later
#656 9 years ago
Quoted from KevInBuffalo:

Who are all these people?

I laugh outloud EVERY time I hear that. "I don't know, fake Keanu! Who ARE all those people?"

3 months later
#896 9 years ago
Quoted from Blackbeard:

Here another pic where the Y rod slips out
Also, the Manual on the hand states : "part numbers will appear on a future amendment".
Anyone? Where's the amendment

They're not very extensive, but do show that the janky looking magnet clip on the glove is actually factory...

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/3683/Williams_1995_Johnny_Mnemonic_Manual_Addendum_1.pdf

http://mirror2.ipdb.org/files/3683/Williams_1995_Johnny_Mnemonic_Manual_Addendum_2.pdf

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 37.50
$ 22.50
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Morristown, NJ
$ 29.00
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider canea.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-mnemonic-is-there-an-owners-club-yet?tu=canea and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.