20240128_174741 (resized).jpg
20240119_155336 (resized).jpg
20240119_155442 (resized).jpg
IMG_3399 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3398 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240108_010115_Gallery (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240108_010045_Gallery (resized).jpg
2 (resized).png

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DakotaMike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3513 3 years ago

Looking for some advice: I've got a line on a Johnny for a good price, but the glove isn't working. Is the glove a pain to fix? I've got a little bit of pinball-repair experience, and my dad is a pretty good tech but more experienced with older games. I don't want to bite off more than I can chew, but I'm not afraid to put a little work in.

#3517 3 years ago

Anyone have a spare speaker-panel cover? The panel on my Johnny has a gouge right in the middle of the DMD. It's not really visible while playing, but it is a little annoying. Hard to ignore once you know it's there. No one seems to have exact replacements in stock anywhere online. A place in Europe sells them without the Williams logo, so that's an option. But price is kinda high for what you get.

Is Johnny the only game to use this particular panel cover?

#3519 3 years ago

Oh yeah, I just assumed the ship had long since sailed on these custom panels! Didn't realize that there was a chance to still get one. Thanks for the heads up. I might contact him about it.

1 month later
#3524 3 years ago

Recently, my glove started dropping balls early. When this happens the game gets confused and the glove freezes in place. I can usually get it to return to normal operation by cycling High V with the coin door. It mainly happens when I reach the far right drops of the matrix. I've also noticed that it seems like the wires are getting a bit bunched up when the hand is against the far right.

So I took a look behind the glove, and I'm pretty new, but can I assume that there shouldn't ever really be a twist-cap wire connection on a pinball machine? The black wire is going into the magnet of the hand, and the red wire is going into the rest of the wiring harness. At this point, my guess would be that the twist-cap is getting bumped when the hand is fully to the right and breaking/weakening the connection. Thus, killing power to the magnet?

Would soldering those wire together properly (with heat-shrink over the connection, of course) fix my problem do you guys think?

IMG_20200710_215831 (resized).jpgIMG_20200710_215831 (resized).jpgIMG_20200710_215835 (resized).jpgIMG_20200710_215835 (resized).jpg
#3526 3 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

I'm skeptical that's your problem since it would be odd for the connection to fail and then return to a state where it had proper voltage to pull the ball into the hand - all without blowing a fuse. You can pull the playfield partially out and look at what is going on with this wiring in the hand test mode.
Regardless, would be good to remove the wire nut and solder or replace with a nylon crimp connector.
Maybe something is going on with the ball in hand switch or overall dressing of the wire harness. There are some Service Bulletins and Manual Addendums on ipdb.org dealing with troubleshooting the magnet and dressing the wire harness that may help.

Well, I'm hoping it's just the twist nut. I figure it's at least a good place to start. But as you said, it could be the routing of the wires. As I've noticed that they bunch up when the hand nears the far end of the x-axis. I assume that ideally that's not supposed to happen?

#3528 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

Luckymoey is probably right as I’ve fixed that problem on one with the hand switch wire moving so it deactivates the magnet.
I also have seen the wired get frayed from movement and cause the same thing.

Hey Waxx, how's it going? There do seem to be quite a few of us with JM's in the SF area now!

Anyway, tomorrow morning I'll connect those wires properly, and while I'm there I'll also try to cleanup the routing so nothing bunches or pulls anymore back there. Hopefully, after doing those two things I'll be good to go. But we'll see; I'll post an update once I know one way or the other.

#3530 3 years ago
Quoted from Waxx:

I think on one of my JMs I zip-tied the wire and switch so they wouldn't move but also wouldn't bind.
Good Luck

Cleaned things up a bit this morning, played about 10 games and so far so good. I'm not completely happy with the current routing, there were all ready a lot of zip ties in places behind the backboard. I think ideally I'd go over all the connections to the glove, and then find a better routing solution than the one currently in place. Right now, I'm a bit tired of messing with it. I figure the next time the glove acts up, I'll break down and go through it fully.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
Boards
PinSound
Boards

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider DakotaMike.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-mnemonic-is-there-an-owners-club-yet?tu=DakotaMike and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.