20240128_174741 (resized).jpg
20240119_155336 (resized).jpg
20240119_155442 (resized).jpg
IMG_3399 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3398 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240108_010115_Gallery (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240108_010045_Gallery (resized).jpg
2 (resized).png
There are 4,442 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 89.
#4051 1 year ago

Blondihacks YouTube channel new video yesterday. Figured some of you may enjoy this.

#4053 1 year ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

PINSOUND is great for this.

Just readying to join the club, having found a minty JM this side of the border. Is there a custom pinsound library for this? I'd be interested in feedback on the coolness of it. Thanks

#4054 1 year ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Just readying to join the club, having found a minty JM this side of the border. Is there a custom pinsound library for this? I'd be interested in feedback on the coolness of it. Thanks

No.. the packs available are garbage IMO. This is why I’m making my own. Stay tuned!

#4055 1 year ago

I no longer need a hand popper assembly we sourced all the parts brand new and have it all in, unfortunately now we have to order both hand motors as well and the game had undisclosed board problems that the seller didn't mention

PXL_20221030_214526676 (resized).jpgPXL_20221030_214526676 (resized).jpg
#4056 1 year ago
Quoted from dnaman:

It's a great sounding game already. Add an external subwoofer though.

#4057 1 year ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

No.. the packs available are garbage IMO. This is why I’m making my own. Stay tuned!

Awesome, I will stay tuned!

#4058 1 year ago
Quoted from pkrobin:

It's a great sounding game already. Add an external subwoofer though.

I do see in pictures that the current owner has a sub on it so I will do the same. Thanks!

#4059 1 year ago

Been messing around on my JM more with LED strips and spotlights. Both pictures are taken In complete darkness.

Before:
1F70F70D-8A93-457D-AA73-C45D5C639ADF (resized).jpeg1F70F70D-8A93-457D-AA73-C45D5C639ADF (resized).jpeg

After:
6ACAA0B2-5223-4751-9FAC-D1A29504C265 (resized).jpeg6ACAA0B2-5223-4751-9FAC-D1A29504C265 (resized).jpeg

#4060 1 year ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Been messing around on my JM more with LED strips and spotlights. Both pictures are taken In complete darkness.

Is that a Pin2DMD? If it is, is if fully coloured or are there some msking issues where things don't look right?

#4061 1 year ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Is that a Pin2DMD? If it is, is if fully coloured or are there some msking issues where things don't look right?

It’s the Color LED DMD. The coloring looks great as always, but honestly.. JM has some pretty poor dot animations imo.. Color Dmd is an upgrade on most.. but not really the biggest difference on this particular title.

#4062 1 year ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

It’s the Color LED DMD. The coloring looks great as always, but honestly.. JM has some pretty poor dot animations imo.. Color Dmd is an upgrade on most.. but not really the biggest difference on this particular title.

I saw some videos of colordmd for Johnny, but wasnt really impressed tbh, find it hard to justify the price for it.

#4063 1 year ago
Quoted from bounoun:

I saw some videos of colordmd for Johnny, but wasnt really impressed tbh, find it hard to justify the price for it.

if it wasn’t an eyesore next to my others with color dmds, I wouldn’t have gotten it.

#4064 1 year ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Quoted from bounoun:

Thank you. My new to me 'JM' has a Pin2DMD installed so I am curious to know about the colouring but it is unfortunate if even the real ColorDMD is just 'okay' due to the animations. I definiitely will not go that route at this point. If the custom Luke_Nukem pinsound library kills it then I will be upgrading the sound.

#4065 1 year ago

Luke_Nukem nice video. I like the synth... gives the game a more serious feel.

The spinner needs a better sound than the one in the video IMO. It sounded to me like the noise kept repeating long after the spinner stopped. Spinner hits should sound short and quick.

(I do like one exception, found in Blackout, where each spin adjusts the pitch and I think changes the octave of the sound, as opposed to sounds and spins occurring simultaneously.)

#4066 1 year ago
Quoted from sunnRAT:

Luke_Nukem nice video. I like the synth... gives the game a more serious feel.
The spinner needs a better sound than the one in the video IMO. It sounded to me like the noise kept repeating long after the spinner stopped. Spinner hits should sound short and quick.
(I do like one exception, found in Blackout, where each spin adjusts the pitch and I think changes the octave of the sound, as opposed to sounds and spins occurring simultaneously.)

Great feedback! Thank you

#4067 1 year ago

Hey everyone, just a noobie joining the club with a few basic questions and a few more complicated ones. The pin that I picked up is pretty stock. I'm not trying to make it perfect just better looking.

When choosing LEDs go with comet? How do I know how many to choose or just buy in 50 packs. Do I LED the GI since that can cause issues with powerdown or just leave it as incandescent?

Same questions for new rubbers, is there an exact amount I need to buy or in bunches.

Does new code = new rom? I have a feeling this has never been updated. It shows AMAO 95 still.

And lastly any suggestions for unlocking the backbox, the lock got jostled in transport and now won't turn.

Thanks all for your help. The hand works like 90% of the time until the x opto fails but usually fixes itself with a restart or manual turning if you have any suggestions there.

20221103_182145.jpg20221103_182145.jpg
#4068 1 year ago
Quoted from dnaman:

Thank you. My new to me 'JM' has a Pin2DMD installed so I am curious to know about the colouring but it is unfortunate if even the real ColorDMD is just 'okay' due to the animations.

IMO if you use a blue or white color palette with your Pin2DMD, it may look better on JM than the stock orange.

#4069 1 year ago
Quoted from DjDuststorm:

Hey everyone, just a noobie joining the club with a few basic questions and a few more complicated ones. The pin that I picked up is pretty stock. I'm not trying to make it perfect just better looking.
When choosing LEDs go with comet? How do I know how many to choose or just buy in 50 packs. Do I LED the GI since that can cause issues with powerdown or just leave it as incandescent?
Same questions for new rubbers, is there an exact amount I need to buy or in bunches.
Does new code = new rom? I have a feeling this has never been updated. It shows AMAO 95 still.
And lastly any suggestions for unlocking the backbox, the lock got jostled in transport and now won't turn.
Thanks all for your help. The hand works like 90% of the time until the x opto fails but usually fixes itself with a restart or manual turning if you have any suggestions there.
[quoted image]

I went bonkers on mine.. 10 spotlights.. led strips.. OCD GI and Insert boards.. with that you have no issues with the fancy lighting on power down and attract mode.

67AA0326-78BD-4181-BB15-BE7E45B845FD (resized).jpeg67AA0326-78BD-4181-BB15-BE7E45B845FD (resized).jpeg
3 weeks later
#4070 1 year ago

Hi all! Just joined the club recently and am having an issue with my Johnny. The game boots up fine, but whenever I launch a ball or if I hit both flippers the game just automatically reboots. I'm guessing its power related. Reseated all connections in the backbox and checked fuses, all good. The closest thing I can find online with similar Williams games is that maybe one of the capacitors went bad. ? Anyone else have this issue or know how to diagnose it? Thanks!

#4071 1 year ago
Quoted from djsoup:

Hi all! Just joined the club recently and am having an issue with my Johnny. The game boots up fine, but whenever I launch a ball or if I hit both flippers the game just automatically reboots. I'm guessing its power related. Reseated all connections in the backbox and checked fuses, all good. The closest thing I can find online with similar Williams games is that maybe one of the capacitors went bad. ? Anyone else have this issue or know how to diagnose it? Thanks!

Just follow this tutorial video. It will probably solve the problem.

#4072 1 year ago
Quoted from creditdot420:

Just follow this tutorial video. It will probably solve the problem.

Thanks! I followed the video, but unfortunately I wasn’t as lucky.. my issue is still happening even after reseating all the connections and checking the ground. Im thinking it’s probably a capacitor issue.

#4073 1 year ago

Everything I have ever read says it probably isn't a capacitor issue. But who knows!?

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php/Williams_WPC#Game_resets

#4074 1 year ago

Can anyone here possibly help me in getting a set of playfield insert decals from pinball center? I was part of zitt's order but i guess all artwork from that order was cut. Thank you Mike

#4075 1 year ago

I'm working on my friend's JM and had the playfield out to install side blades. Everything worked fine prior to this including the hand operation. Upon placing the playfield back in the game, the back left of the hand assembly (the X motor area) got caught on one of the playfield slide pivots. I was able to free it up but ended up with a kinked motor wire and the bracket a tad tweaked. I replaced the section of wire to make sure it wasn't internally broken, and have tweaked the X motor bracket so things look square. But now I am getting the error for X - no progress. It fails the hand test (while pushing in the coin door switches). The hand does move on the X axis, but not that fast and not smooth. I've searched for repairs or fixes but most everything seems to be "I had a broken wire". I've done a factory reset several times. How do you adjust or fine tune to get this back working properly?

#4076 1 year ago
Quoted from djsoup:

FYI -I picked up one of these WPC daughter boards from https://kahr.us and it did the trick. So just sharing with the group in case anyone else experiences the same issue - apparently this is a common power problem with other WPC games as well, not just Johnny.

#4077 1 year ago

Hand issue on my Johnny.

When ball is shot up and picked up by the hand magnet I can not control it with the buttons, it's also not going to the inlanes but just dropping the ball where it stands. It this falls back in the upkicker shooting it up again and so on...

This is not always happening but in most of the cases it does, sometimes it's reacting as it should and remains controlable...

what needs to be adjusted?

#4078 1 year ago

I had a leaf switch under a rubber gapped too closely recently and it would close intermittently when the magnet picked up the ball, then it would drop it. Bang on your playfield maybe?

#4079 1 year ago

New Johnny Mnemonic owner here as of today. Pictures later on and I expect lots of questions in the future.

#4080 1 year ago

Here is my Johnny - seems pretty decent and clean for a 95 pin. Still seeing if I can spot issues.

2CD37F29-B99B-49E6-ADA9-8DEECAAA1493 (resized).jpeg2CD37F29-B99B-49E6-ADA9-8DEECAAA1493 (resized).jpeg47F4FC2A-6B08-46D0-832E-674C30C271F2 (resized).jpeg47F4FC2A-6B08-46D0-832E-674C30C271F2 (resized).jpeg61B63CBE-61B6-45DA-83E6-C7483A3B797F (resized).jpeg61B63CBE-61B6-45DA-83E6-C7483A3B797F (resized).jpegD14E461E-1284-4538-BF92-D5A9AF94D1E6 (resized).jpegD14E461E-1284-4538-BF92-D5A9AF94D1E6 (resized).jpeg
#4081 1 year ago

Two issues spotted quickly

1) back box isn’t lighting up at all but it’s just a single halogen bulb style unfortunately so that could just be the bulb.

2) the hand moving left is finicky - if you fully press left flipper button it doesn’t move but then just release like half the button pressure and it engages and moves. So the flipper itself seems to function fine so the connect to the glove moving left is behaving as though it wants a particular pressure

#4082 1 year ago

Santa brought me CPRs mirrored backglass and alternate speaker panel.. I do want to say that the first speaker panel arrived broken due to the shipping company bending the package splitting it down the middle, and CPR was really cool in making it right and sending out a replacement one for free.
18232D66-CBBE-4D70-AA55-E4ADFA38AE63 (resized).jpeg18232D66-CBBE-4D70-AA55-E4ADFA38AE63 (resized).jpeg6633F47D-8391-48B6-911E-BE243220610B (resized).jpeg6633F47D-8391-48B6-911E-BE243220610B (resized).jpeg9D7E9052-9844-4EE2-8E3D-00C529FBE616 (resized).jpeg9D7E9052-9844-4EE2-8E3D-00C529FBE616 (resized).jpeg

#4083 1 year ago
Quoted from epeabs:

I'm working on my friend's JM and had the playfield out to install side blades. Everything worked fine prior to this including the hand operation. Upon placing the playfield back in the game, the back left of the hand assembly (the X motor area) got caught on one of the playfield slide pivots. I was able to free it up but ended up with a kinked motor wire and the bracket a tad tweaked. I replaced the section of wire to make sure it wasn't internally broken, and have tweaked the X motor bracket so things look square. But now I am getting the error for X - no progress. It fails the hand test (while pushing in the coin door switches). The hand does move on the X axis, but not that fast and not smooth. I've searched for repairs or fixes but most everything seems to be "I had a broken wire". I've done a factory reset several times. How do you adjust or fine tune to get this back working properly?

Since my original post, I have replaced the X nut, the X threaded rod, and the two brackets that the X motor mounts to. I have reflowed the X motor "mini" board and the board attached under the playfield. I have also cleaned out all the old grease in the gearbox and lightly re-greased with lithium. The hand still routinely fails the hand test. When it does seem to work a little, the X motor goes so slow to the right that it will time out before it reaches the matrix to drop the ball. There seems to be no information out there if there is really an adjustment procedure when you rebuild most of the mechanism. Anyone have any suggestions?

#4084 1 year ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Santa brought me CPRs mirrored backglass and alternate speaker panel.. I do want to say that the first speaker panel arrived broken due to the shipping company bending the package splitting it down the middle, and CPR was really cool in making it right and sending out a replacement one for free.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Hi Luke - I had a few posts just above yours as I just recently got a Johnny. Your mirrored back glass is timely because as I mention in my post I was a little surprised to find just a single large halogen bulb inside my translight. I actually expected to see a proper backbox light panel but there wasn't one

Is yours a single halogen? wondering if mine is stock or some regressive change someone did along the way.

#4085 1 year ago
Quoted from Kabball:

Hi Luke - I had a few posts just above yours as I just recently got a Johnny. Your mirrored back glass is timely because as I mention in my post I was a little surprised to find just a single large halogen bulb inside my translight. I actually expected to see a proper backbox light panel but there wasn't one
Is yours a single halogen? wondering if mine is stock or some regressive change someone did along the way.

That sounds like someone has done some custom work on it as JM has this wild flickering with the trans light lighting and playfield GI to match the power down mode. Can you post a picture?

#4086 1 year ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

That sounds like someone has done some custom work on it as JM has this wild flickering with the trans light lighting and playfield GI to match the power down mode. Can you post a picture?

Yah I have it over at my other house we rent out so I will go over there tomorrow and open up that back box and take pictures. Bummed to see this aspect was modified. Def want to sort this out.

#4087 1 year ago
Quoted from Kabball:

Yah I have it over at my other house we rent out so I will go over there tomorrow and open up that back box and take pictures. Bummed to see this aspect was modified. Def want to sort this out.

Ran across this.. could be of some use.

ebay.com link: itm

#4088 1 year ago
Quoted from Kabball:

Take a picture of that halogen set up please…. Would like to gander at that

#4089 1 year ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Since my original post, I have replaced the X nut, the X threaded rod, and the two brackets that the X motor mounts to. I have reflowed the X motor "mini" board and the board attached under the playfield. I have also cleaned out all the old grease in the gearbox and lightly re-greased with lithium. The hand still routinely fails the hand test. When it does seem to work a little, the X motor goes so slow to the right that it will time out before it reaches the matrix to drop the ball. There seems to be no information out there if there is really an adjustment procedure when you rebuild most of the mechanism. Anyone have any suggestions?

Any help on this glove rebuild? Replace drive motor if it goes slow in one direction?

#4090 1 year ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Ran across this.. could be of some use.
ebay.com link: itm

Yah I saw that the other day - I may pull the trigger once I figure out if I can do the full recreation of this light panel

#4091 1 year ago
Quoted from MG7322:

Take a picture of that halogen set up please…. Would like to gander at that

Okay later this evening

#4092 1 year ago

Okay so this is unfortunate looks like maybe a Frankenstein job where I think I see the old harness that went to the light panel sitting there and they have some ghetto power lines coming up to the single halogen. Although the halogen isn’t working, I sure if it’s the bulb or not as I haven’t put a voltmeter on it yet but kinda don’t care.

Second to last picture is of the T2 I am restoring. I imagine I can use that as a template for the board. bracket System seems to mostly be there?

Or buy that one off eBay.

71E1EA7E-6042-4934-8883-D16712F20B75 (resized).jpeg71E1EA7E-6042-4934-8883-D16712F20B75 (resized).jpeg8DB71F52-60DA-4E6A-8897-DE955EE460D5 (resized).jpeg8DB71F52-60DA-4E6A-8897-DE955EE460D5 (resized).jpeg934C036B-0557-4192-A87A-462662A1F7F1 (resized).jpeg934C036B-0557-4192-A87A-462662A1F7F1 (resized).jpeg9E1A06F8-6BDD-4D79-B950-408F34104F9C (resized).jpeg9E1A06F8-6BDD-4D79-B950-408F34104F9C (resized).jpegA2C0C30D-B2BB-47D4-AA94-C0B089F32019 (resized).jpegA2C0C30D-B2BB-47D4-AA94-C0B089F32019 (resized).jpegA54A0198-AD7D-45F0-A15F-595DA7FB97ED (resized).jpegA54A0198-AD7D-45F0-A15F-595DA7FB97ED (resized).jpegD75AD90B-6220-425C-9675-26AF2C689596 (resized).jpegD75AD90B-6220-425C-9675-26AF2C689596 (resized).jpegD913230F-C5C6-4DC6-BD38-162BA6CCD97A (resized).jpegD913230F-C5C6-4DC6-BD38-162BA6CCD97A (resized).jpeg

#4093 1 year ago
Quoted from Kabball:

Two issues spotted quickly
1) back box isn’t lighting up at all but it’s just a single halogen bulb style unfortunately so that could just be the bulb.
2) the hand moving left is finicky - if you fully press left flipper button it doesn’t move but then just release like half the button pressure and it engages and moves. So the flipper itself seems to function fine so the connect to the glove moving left is behaving as though it wants a particular pressure

Good news here just some poor alignment on the flipper leaf stack - minor fiddling cleared it up almost 100% but needs more work.

#4094 1 year ago

That’s wild, why they did that is a mystery…

#4095 1 year ago
Quoted from MG7322:

That’s wild, why they did that is a mystery…

agree but hopefully there isn't more to discover here on the why. But picture 8 down at the bottom I think that must be the old wire harness that plugged into the light panel?

#4096 1 year ago
Quoted from Kabball:

Okay so this is unfortunate looks like maybe a Frankenstein job where I think I see the old harness that went to the light panel sitting there and they have some ghetto power lines coming up to the single halogen. Although the halogen isn’t working, I sure if it’s the bulb or not as I haven’t put a voltmeter on it yet but kinda don’t care.
Second to last picture is of the T2 I am restoring. I imagine I can use that as a template for the board. bracket System seems to mostly be there?
Or buy that one off eBay.
[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Here are some pics of the Johnny I'm working on right now. I would recommend buying the light panel on eBay because the bulb pattern is designed for JM. You should be able to pick up all the sockets from Marco or Pinball Life. The harness plugs in I think at J121. It looks different on this setup due to the LED GI board. Hopefully that will give you a good direction.

20221229_063450 (resized).jpg20221229_063450 (resized).jpg20221229_063503 (resized).jpg20221229_063503 (resized).jpg20221229_063513 (resized).jpg20221229_063513 (resized).jpg20221229_063524 (resized).jpg20221229_063524 (resized).jpg20221229_063551 (resized).jpg20221229_063551 (resized).jpg20221229_063603 (resized).jpg20221229_063603 (resized).jpg20221229_063618 (resized).jpg20221229_063618 (resized).jpg
#4097 1 year ago
Quoted from epeabs:

Here are some pics of the Johnny I'm working on right now. I would recommend buying the light panel on eBay because the bulb pattern is designed for JM. You should be able to pick up all the sockets from Marco or Pinball Life. The harness plugs in I think at J121. It looks different on this setup due to the LED GI board. Hopefully that will give you a good direction.

Thanks I appreciate this. Got any idea if one of the pinball online stores would also carry those hardware mounting bits that go on the light panel itself? I think the backbox may have the pieces it needs but I need the metal bits that bolt onto the light panel itself. As the ebay panel does not come with them.

#4098 1 year ago

I recently picked up a nice Johnny with a pinsound board in it. When I lock a ball the annoying background music doesn’t stop until you drain. I thought somebody did this on purpose so I installed a new original music drive in it. Same thing. Is this a bug or that is what is supposed to be playing?Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

#4099 1 year ago
Quoted from locksmith:

I recently picked up a nice Johnny with a pinsound board in it. When I lock a ball the annoying background music doesn’t stop until you drain. I thought somebody did this on purpose so I installed a new original music drive in it. Same thing. Is this a bug or that is what is supposed to be playing?Any thoughts appreciated. Thanks

Pinsound is not good for original soundtracks… Tons of bugs and glitches. I’ve been working on my own score.

#4100 1 year ago
Quoted from Luke_Nukem:

Pinsound is not good for original soundtracks… Tons of bugs and glitches. I’ve been working on my own score.

I like what you did. Thanks. I’ll go back to the drawing board. Can you just buy a custom sound stick anywhere?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 37.50
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 29.00
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

There are 4,442 posts in this topic. You are on page 82 of 89.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-mnemonic-is-there-an-owners-club-yet/page/82 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.