20240128_174741 (resized).jpg
20240119_155336 (resized).jpg
20240119_155442 (resized).jpg
IMG_3399 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3398 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240108_010115_Gallery (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240108_010045_Gallery (resized).jpg
2 (resized).png
There are 4,442 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 89.
#3801 2 years ago
Quoted from Comox-Rocks:

Well I’ll be joining this club on Monday when I head to the Southern interior to pick it up. Game is in great shape and owned by a pro pin restorer. I’m so fricking stoked I can hardly sleep! Wife shakes her head….lol
[quoted image]

I wouldn’t be able to sleep either! Have fun w the game. SNARF!

#3802 2 years ago
Quoted from Comox-Rocks:

Well I’ll be joining this club on Monday when I head to the Southern interior to pick it up. Game is in great shape and owned by a pro pin restorer. I’m so fricking stoked I can hardly sleep! Wife shakes her head….lol
[quoted image]

I laughed reading Southern! To me that’s as north as it gets lol

#3803 2 years ago

I've noticed on my game that the playfield gets dirty REALLY fast. I don't have any other game that I need to clean as often. There is constantly black stuff that seems to appear out of nowhere. I don't have any black rubber in the game. In fact, all the rubber has been replaced with Titan silicone rings. The only thing I can think of is that it is somehow caused by the magnet in the glove. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

#3804 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I've noticed on my game that the playfield gets dirty REALLY fast. I don't have any other game that I need to clean as often. There is constantly black stuff that seems to appear out of nowhere. I don't have any black rubber in the game. In fact, all the rubber has been replaced with Titan silicone rings. The only thing I can think of is that it is somehow caused by the magnet in the glove. Has anyone else noticed this phenomenon?

IMO this is usually the black carbon dust from various coils. It can come out from under plastics, or the slingshots, ball troughs, etc.

#3805 2 years ago
Quoted from T7:

IMO this is usually the black carbon dust from various coils. It can come out from under plastics, or the slingshots, ball troughs, etc.

Yeah, I was thinking that's what it was as well, but why is it so prevalent on this game compared to others? My guess is that maybe the balls are becoming magnetized by the glove and that's why the carbon was sticking to them.

#3806 2 years ago

I'm suddenly having glove problems. It was working perfectly before I lifted the playfield this afternoon. I'm thinking I may have bumped the mech as I was putting the playfield back into position. The glove moves left and right just fine, but during the game I can only access the bottom two rows in the matrix (the ones closest to the player). It won't move back far enough to reach the back row. What did I do, and how do I fix it?

#3807 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

How’s the screwdrive? Is it in good condition and lubed? Metal to Metal contract will surly do this.

#3808 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

How’s the screwdrive? Is it in good condition and lubed? Metal to Metal contract will surly do this.

I'm assuming it's fine. The guy I bought it from rebuilt it right before he sold it to me, and the game doesn't have a lot of plays on it since then.

#3809 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I'm assuming it's fine. The guy I bought it from rebuilt it right before he sold it to me, and the game doesn't have a lot of plays on it since then.

hmm...

#3810 2 years ago

What does it do when you test it?

#3811 2 years ago

Oh yeah baby!
I’m officially in the Johnny club!

6B5891BC-D7E9-4060-B05E-67116259A959 (resized).jpeg6B5891BC-D7E9-4060-B05E-67116259A959 (resized).jpegEEBAA8C1-5FB7-4CAE-9D9B-981BF8FEE382 (resized).jpegEEBAA8C1-5FB7-4CAE-9D9B-981BF8FEE382 (resized).jpeg
#3812 2 years ago
Quoted from supermoot:

What does it do when you test it?

I don't really understand the test. When I run it, the hand moves and these are the results. Is there a manual test where I can move the hand myself?

JM Test (resized).jpgJM Test (resized).jpg
#3813 2 years ago

Next in the queue for a shop out, and mod adds. Looking forward to working on it (more than playing it), is that weird? Prob not...

Just ordered the CPR backglass. Going with color dmd, Pinsound, shaker, hologram topper and powder coat armor/legs. Give it good clean up and new clear rubbers. It's not leaving, so making it mine.

#3814 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I don't really understand the test. When I run it, the hand moves and these are the results. Is there a manual test where I can move the hand myself?
[quoted image]

What does page 1-16 of your manual say?

#3815 2 years ago
Quoted from supermoot:

What does page 1-16 of your manual say?

Thanks! I didn't realize you could select additional tests after the self test completes. Sadly, I didn't have much luck with the manual test. I can move the glove all the way to the far left and right no problem, but as soon as I move the glove all the way forward, the test fails. I'm then left with a "Y - No Progress" error.

#3816 2 years ago

Did a little more testing on the glove. All the switches seem to be working fine. Both microswitches and all four optos are registering like they should. This leaves me at complete loss about what to try next.

#3817 2 years ago

Said you bumped the mech, are all connectors tight? Did somethinig get moved (slightly) that now it is out of position? If it worked ok before getting bumped, something could be out of alignment. According to your post, that is when things went south. I think there is a glove rebuild link in this thread somewhere, might help find issue. I haven't gotten mine unfolded to get into it yet. Maybe manual test operated by another with playfield pulled forward, and look for anything amiss?

#3818 2 years ago
Quoted from volkdrive:

Said you bumped the mech, are all connectors tight?

The connectors all seem fine, but it's possible one of the wires got knocked loose. I'll check them out. Thanks!

#3819 2 years ago

Would anyone be willing to give me the width and height of a JM when collapsed. I’m looking to pick one up this weekend and I’ve read my Terrain will fit a pin but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks everyone excited to join the club.

#3820 2 years ago
Quoted from KneeKickLou:

Would anyone be willing to give me the width and height of a JM when collapsed. I’m looking to pick one up this weekend and I’ve read my Terrain will fit a pin but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks everyone excited to join the club.

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Vehicles_for_Moving_Pinball_Machines#GMC

#3821 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Thanks! I didn't realize you could select additional tests after the self test completes. Sadly, I didn't have much luck with the manual test. I can move the glove all the way to the far left and right no problem, but as soon as I move the glove all the way forward, the test fails. I'm then left with a "Y - No Progress" error.

Rats! I'm not sure how it tracks Y progress. The Y switch is for home, yes? Maybe the encoder is funky.

#3822 2 years ago
Quoted from supermoot:

Rats! I'm not sure how it tracks Y progress. The Y switch is for home, yes? Maybe the encoder is funky.

any progress? Hoping to dig into mine next week or two. Was looking through manual and there are two encoder boards, are both working proper? If hand is moving and you have a fail on Y axis, sounds like machine doesn't know where the hand is.

#3823 2 years ago

Just joined the club today. Traded my DE Jurassic Park for a Johnny, liking this one way more. Much more flow and modes actually mean something, still getting used to the video mode and the shots but looking forward to ripping some spinner millions.

#3824 2 years ago
Quoted from KneeKickLou:

Just joined the club today. Traded my DE Jurassic Park for a Johnny, liking this one way more. Much more flow and modes actually mean something, still getting used to the video mode and the shots but looking forward to ripping some spinner millions.

Congrats! I’m on my second Johnny, and I was taken by the speed and flow when I first played it. The glove is a nice interruption in the speed. The modes are well designed and reaching power down isn’t super difficult. Great wizard mode! The video mode is fun because it feels nearly impossible to control. I’m sure people have figured out the movements, but I prefer not knowing. I just try different combinations of buttons until I move in the right direction. I’ve only reached the second wave a few times. Just a solid entry in the mid-90’s era, still the best era in my personal opinion.

#3825 2 years ago

I joined today as well. My trade was an arcade game for JM. It's a project game, but doesn't need a ton of help to get working again.

#3826 2 years ago

Welcome, I’m gonna make a long distance phone call! Snarf.

#3827 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Welcome, I’m gonna make a long distance phone call! Snarf.

It can’t be THAT long-distance from Humble to La Porte, but I suppose TX is big.

#3828 2 years ago
Quoted from Pinkitten:

It can’t be THAT long-distance from Humble to La Porte, but I suppose TX is big.

It's about 25 minutes.

#3829 2 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

I joined today as well. My trade was an arcade game for JM. It's a project game, but doesn't need a ton of help to get working again.

Here's a couple of starting pics.

IMG_4460 (resized).jpgIMG_4460 (resized).jpgIMG_4461 (resized).jpgIMG_4461 (resized).jpgIMG_4462 (resized).jpgIMG_4462 (resized).jpgIMG_4463 (resized).jpgIMG_4463 (resized).jpg
#3830 2 years ago

Wow, that will be challenging. Have fun! How’s the screw Mech condition?

#3831 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

I've noticed on my game that the playfield gets dirty REALLY fast. I don't have any other game that I need to clean as often.

Have you tried cleaning the playfield under the apron. Generally has to be somewhere out of sight where the balls go all the time.

#3832 2 years ago
Quoted from jazc4:

Here's a couple of starting pics.[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Can I share these pics to my Pinball Facebook page neighbor?

#3833 2 years ago

So having a weird issue on my JM I just picked up. My hand works fine during gameplay just a little noisy, I’ll address that in a second. The issue I’m wondering about though is that the hand test in the test menu doesn’t seem to do anything at all and just gives me a failed message when I try to run it any thoughts on this?

As far as the noise goes I’ve read a bunch of threads about cleaning and greasing the gearboxes so I see that in my future. My question on that is while I have it out I planned on changing the X and Y nuts but wondered if there are any other parts that I should order ahead of time to be replaced?

Thanks all

#3834 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Wow, that will be challenging. Have fun! How’s the screw Mech condition?

I've got it off but haven't gone through it yet. I'll post some pics of it tomorrow. Lots of rust.

#3835 2 years ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Can I share these pics to my Pinball Facebook page neighbor?

Sure. I'm in your FB group.

#3836 2 years ago
Quoted from 7oxford:

Have you tried cleaning the playfield under the apron. Generally has to be somewhere out of sight where the balls go all the time.

I broke down the upper playfield today. I cleaned it very carefully, buy it's got a ton of places where the paint has bubbled. I bought another playfield that I will do a swap when it arrives. May turn the old one into a wall hanging.

#3837 2 years ago
Quoted from KneeKickLou:

So having a weird issue on my JM I just picked up. My hand works fine during gameplay just a little noisy, I’ll address that in a second. The issue I’m wondering about though is that the hand test in the test menu doesn’t seem to do anything at all and just gives me a failed message when I try to run it any thoughts on this?

There is an actuator attached to the coin door that keeps the high-power cutoff button pressed in. When you open the coin door, the button is released. You will need to manually hold that button in while running the glove tests.
high-power interlock (resized).jpghigh-power interlock (resized).jpg

#3838 2 years ago

Ahh nice thanks for the tip I’ll give it a shot later.

Quoted from gweempose:

There is an actuator attached to the coin door that keeps the high-power cutoff button pressed in. When you open the coin door, the button is released. You will need to manually hold that button in while running the glove tests.
[quoted image]

#3839 2 years ago

Does anyone happen to have this plastic available?
Mine snapped completely mid game. I guess I’m lucky I’ve never had a plastic break before

B5BFA471-FE34-4AF6-ACAD-A5D1CE425258 (resized).jpegB5BFA471-FE34-4AF6-ACAD-A5D1CE425258 (resized).jpeg
#3840 2 years ago
Quoted from bcscooter:

Recently joined the club unfortunately the glove was not working. Tearing down and replacing. While tearing down one of the dc motors dropped and was seized. Trying to find just the motor to order I noticed I could only find the complete motor assembly for $200 at Marco. Searched the internet with no luck. Pulled back the Williams tag and found the actual part number of the motor rs-365sh and shown in photo. Found them on eBay and ordered a couple. Hope the helps someone else out.
[quoted image]

Got a link? Nice work!

#3841 2 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

Does anyone happen to have this plastic available?

Here you go. It's even located in Australia ...

ebay.com link: itm

#3842 2 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

Here you go. It's even located in Australia ...
ebay.com link: itm

Yep cheers! Even within 15 mins of my house so picked it up today

#3843 2 years ago

So my JM doesn’t like me at the moment
How do you change a light bulb under the matrix?
I can’t seem to figure out how to remove it to get to the bulbs. Anyone have instructions or pictures?

#3844 2 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I can’t seem to figure out how to remove it to get to the bulbs. Anyone have instructions or pictures?

Does the manual show anything? Some of those mechanisms (like TOM trunk) are explained in there

#3845 2 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I replaced bulbs with bendable (positionable) LEDs when I had the entire hand mechanism under repair. I believe you need to have the matrix removed from the backdrop and disconnected from the coil and/or playfield to have good access. The sockets screw into and out of the printed circuit board on the bottom of the matrix.

#3846 2 years ago
Quoted from Lithium:

I replaced bulbs with bendable (positionable) LEDs when I had the entire hand mechanism under repair. I believe you need to have the matrix removed from the backdrop and disconnected from the coil and/or playfield to have good access. The sockets screw into and out of the printed circuit board on the bottom of the matrix.

I'm restoring the hand and matrix assembly right now. The easiest way probably is to take off the hand assembly. There probably is other ways but once I had the whole back panel off, it was easy to access the matrix lights.

#3847 2 years ago

I thought the back panel needs to come off. Not sure it’s worth it for 1 bulb lol

#3848 2 years ago
Quoted from allsportdvd:

I thought the back panel needs to come off. Not sure it’s worth it for 1 bulb lol

It's held in by 6 bolts I believe. Unplug all of the connectors to the back panel. Once the panel is off, there are 2 nuts on the back and an acorn nut on the side to remove that will release the matrix. Then I'd change all of the bulbs. I'd also plug in the connector and double check them before reinstalling.

#3849 2 years ago

Here's a preview of restoring the hand assembly on my JM. I'll start a separate restore thread once I'm farther along with the whole project. thumbnail_IMG_4932 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_4932 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_4896 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_4896 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_4933 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_4933 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_4931 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_4931 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_4936 (resized).jpgthumbnail_IMG_4936 (resized).jpg

#3850 2 years ago

Looking really great

Quoted from jazc4:

Here's a preview of restoring the hand assembly on my JM. I'll start a separate restore thread once I'm farther along with the whole project. [quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 29.00
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Morristown, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
There are 4,442 posts in this topic. You are on page 77 of 89.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-mnemonic-is-there-an-owners-club-yet/page/77?hl=geddy2112 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.