20240128_174741 (resized).jpg
20240119_155336 (resized).jpg
20240119_155442 (resized).jpg
IMG_3399 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3398 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240108_010115_Gallery (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240108_010045_Gallery (resized).jpg
2 (resized).png
There are 4,442 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 89.
#3351 4 years ago

If I say it’s you, there’s a good chance my Johnny will take a dump.

So, it’s the game.

#3352 4 years ago

I'd also say it's you since my machine works like a charm as long as I don't move it.

Moved it from my room to the living room today because I may want to sell it soonish.
Had to readjust 2 switches, 2 cables and 1 flasher after that. XD

Btw. here's a little video.

Well... as soon as I did that video I thought I should move JM back to it's place.
I want a BKSoR, but not THAT hard. - Or do I?

One thing I modded (out of the ordinary) is that the white paint on the glove now glows, since it's painted with UV active and Fluorescent paint (and shined on by a couple of conveniently hidden UV LED strips). I really wanted to have this since in the movie they originally glow (flicker pink-ish) as well.

WP_20190807_22_47_44_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20190807_22_47_44_Pro (resized).jpg
WP_20190807_22_47_22_Pro (resized).jpgWP_20190807_22_47_22_Pro (resized).jpg

#3353 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Purple??????? Gross.

That's just like, your opinion, man.
Screen Shot 2019-08-08 at 12.35.01 (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-08-08 at 12.35.01 (resized).png

#3354 4 years ago
Quoted from m0nty:

[quoted image]

And I'm right ; ). (All in good fun. No need for butthurt cream).

#3355 4 years ago
Quoted from m0nty:

[quoted image]

How did you get the dmd to be blue?

#3356 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

And I'm right ; ). (All in good fun. No need for butthurt cream).

It's much dimmer than white and reflects less on the glass below. Pics never quite show the color right...but yea - has a slight purple hue. You'd hate it.

Quoted from allsportdvd:

How did you get the dmd to be blue?

It's just a LED Color DMD - that screen happens to be solid blue at that moment:
http://shop.colordmd.com/led-replacement-display-for-johnny-mnemonic-pinball-machine/

#3357 4 years ago

I have been trying to find a new translate with no luck. There is an English dealer who now has them in stock. They do not deliver to the USA

https://www.pinball.center/en

anyone in England or Europe willing to buy one for me? I would happily pay you for your time and trouble.

#3358 4 years ago
Quoted from Sven-Bot:

I have been trying to find a new translate with no luck. There is an English dealer who now has them in stock. They do not deliver to the USA
anyone in England or Europe willing to buy one for me? I would happily pay you for your time and trouble.

Be warned about pinballcenter, the quality of their repro products hasnt got a good reputation.

#3359 4 years ago
Quoted from Sven-Bot:

I have also ordered repro products from pinballcenter with mixed results some were good and others weren't great...

if you decide to order from them you can use a mail relay service called https://mailboxde.com - they'll give you a local address in Germany and then for an additional shipping charge, they relay it to the US. Used it twice, worked great.

3 weeks later
#3360 4 years ago

Does anybody else notice the lit lane change is slow when moving it with either flipper? Increasing the multiplier for me is kinda hard because the lane change seems slow or seems to stick. Normal operation or do I have a problem?

#3361 4 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Does anybody else notice the lit lane change is slow when moving it with either flipper? Increasing the multiplier for me is kinda hard because the lane change seems slow or seems to stick. Normal operation or do I have a problem?

I've never had a problem with either of the two JMs I've owned.

#3362 4 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

Normal. Every JM I've had (4 now) have done this.

#3363 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Normal. Every JM I've had (4 now) have done this.

Yeah,mine does it too, and this is what I've heard.

#3364 4 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

It’s normal. Pretty sure it moves with the flipper press but there is a slight delay on the insert light.

#3365 4 years ago

Well, I'm going to have to pay extra attention next time as I don't remember this happening but I could just be used to it.

#3366 4 years ago

I'm going to be making UV protector sets again.
You can see pictures here - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-mnemonic-is-there-an-owners-club-yet/page/64#post-4733371
PM me if interested.

#3367 4 years ago

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/479368661

I’ll be tearing one down this month. The hand does break at the end lol.

#3368 4 years ago
Quoted from ralphcousman:

https://www.twitch.tv/videos/479368661
I’ll be tearing one down this month. The hand does break at the end lol.

Did you do that video? I'm curious - how do you make the main view the background behind you as you are playing? I am away from the house until January, but I was curious as I'd like to do something like this too someday. Thanks!

#3369 4 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

Did you do that video? I'm curious - how do you make the main view the background behind you as you are playing? I am away from the house until January, but I was curious as I'd like to do something like this too someday. Thanks!

Hi! Yes it’s easy with a green screen and some broadcaster software like xsplit.

#3370 4 years ago

I just joined the club and am super happy!

I'm starting to read the 68 pages of this thread, but it will take some time...

I was wondering... I find the playfield to be quite dark. What's the common approach to this ?
1/ Get used to it, that's the game's style
2/ Add some spotlights and led strips in some locations

#3371 4 years ago
Quoted from matiou:

I just joined the club and am super happy!
I'm starting to read the 68 pages of this thread, but it will take some time...
I was wondering... I find the playfield to be quite dark. What's the common approach to this ?
1/ Get used to it, that's the game's style
2/ Add some spotlights and led strips in some locations

I've added an LED strip in the back and trough and it's still pretty dark. Considering making some stadium lights.

#3373 4 years ago
Quoted from Lethal_Inc:

It's not always "slow", just when you started a mode and there is more is going on.
(Wich usually is most of the time but not when you're just doing you skill shot.)
And it is not slow but might not work when you just shortly hit the button.
Seems to be a problem with the CPU (too slow) that it misses a pulse from the Switch lines when it's under load.

#3374 4 years ago

I have had this game for some time. I had it on location for about 10 years. The only problems where with the hand. I found a NOS hand on e-bay years ago but have not installed it yet. I need to go back over this post and see some of the mods you put on your games. Looks like LED's are a must. What are the other top mod idea's?

#3375 4 years ago
Quoted from fingersport:

I have had this game for some time. I had it on location for about 10 years. The only problems where with the hand. I found a NOS hand on e-bay years ago but have not installed it yet. I need to go back over this post and see some of the mods you put on your games. Looks like LED's are a must. What are the other top mod idea's?

A lot of people don’t LED the GI because JM has so many fade and pulse effects it can look weird. That’s why I installed a GI OCD to fix that. The LED OCD and GI OCD are great but you almost have to see them in person to understand.

#3376 4 years ago

Thanks for the advice, Not sure what LED OCD is...I assume its a way of improving the way LED's fuction. A add on board I also assume. Who sells them? Thanks for the help.

#3377 4 years ago
Quoted from fingersport:

Thanks for the advice, Not sure what LED OCD is...I assume its a way of improving the way LED's fuction. A add on board I also assume. Who sells them? Thanks for the help.

LED OCD boards allow LEDs to slowly illuminate and slowly fade out like incandescent lights, instead of the almost instant on/off that you normally get with LEDs in pins that were originally manufactured with incandescent lights. As Waxx noted, you'd have to see it to believe how well it works and how good it looks. The LED OCD boards also help to eliminated flicker and ghosting issues if present.

You can learn more about it and buy it here: http://www.ledocd.com/

Comet Pinball also sells the LED OCD boards.

#3378 4 years ago

My game is missing the left hand side post at the entrance to the right ramp. Does anyone know the part number/Marco link to this post?

#3379 4 years ago

Figured I'd pass this on , since I already have a spare set and they are very hard to find.....

NOS set of Slingshot Plastics on eBay. I've bought a couple things from this seller......he's legit:

ebay.com link: Johnny Mnemonic NEW NOS Williams Pinball Slingshot Plastics

1 week later
#3381 4 years ago

Anybody see these before? Though I don’t need one it’s the first I have seen with the art printed on the protector

https://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts-by-game/johnny-mnemonic/9641/printed-playfield-protector-for-johnny-mnemonic

F25B5CC1-7F06-4B3B-B0D1-54A6A12FB465 (resized).jpegF25B5CC1-7F06-4B3B-B0D1-54A6A12FB465 (resized).jpeg
#3382 4 years ago

I’m building a new Position Encoder PCB for my Johnny and am unsure of a component on the board. In the manual it only lists OPTO 1, but not OPTO 2. Looking at my board they are two different types. Does anyone know the part number for OPTO 2?

6D39FCE2-DDE8-44F8-8B40-3D8CD1AC315F (resized).jpeg6D39FCE2-DDE8-44F8-8B40-3D8CD1AC315F (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpgimage (resized).jpg
#3384 4 years ago
Quoted from dluth:

I’m building a new Position Encoder PCB for my Johnny and am unsure of a component on the board. In the manual it only lists OPTO 1, but not OPTO 2. Looking at my board they are two different types. Does anyone know the part number for OPTO 2?[quoted image][quoted image]

I just rebuilt one of my opto boards... on mine the 2 optocouplers were the same... (see pic below). Maybe your board was reworked using a different component?

I replaced one of the opto (which was intermittently failing) with this one from digikey:
http://d.digikey.com/LL20KX02XyJb0Sh1a0N070p
and now everything works fine!

Capture (resized).PNGCapture (resized).PNG
#3385 4 years ago

So I don’t own one, but I repair it for the local arcade. Any suggestions on how to rebuild the hand or any good guides for it? Can it be done in one shot? The game can’t really be down for long so if it’s extremely involved I probably can’t do it.
Also the hand works in test mode, I can move it just fine, but in game it blows a bunch of fuses.

Also this game suffers from the constant rebooting issue if you have too much going on, and the operator insists it’s not the power supply even though it obviously is. Is it cheaper to put the little board in it instead of rebuilding it or whatever needs to happen to fix it properly?

#3386 4 years ago

There is a fairly big capacitor on the cpu board (100µF I believe), try replacing that against the reboots. For the fuses there is a service bulletin from WMS to power the hand magnet from another fuse: https://www.ipdb.org/files/3683/Williams_1995_Johnny_Mnemonic_Service_Bulletin_87.pdf

#3387 4 years ago
Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

So I don’t own one, but I repair it for the local arcade. Any suggestions on how to rebuild the hand or any good guides for it? Can it be done in one shot? The game can’t really be down for long so if it’s extremely involved I probably can’t do it.
Also the hand works in test mode, I can move it just fine, but in game it blows a bunch of fuses.
Also this game suffers from the constant rebooting issue if you have too much going on, and the operator insists it’s not the power supply even though it obviously is. Is it cheaper to put the little board in it instead of rebuilding it or whatever needs to happen to fix it properly?

Take it apart, clean everything, relube the screw rods with SuperLube, clean out the old grease of of the gearbox and relube with SuperLube, replace the X and Y nuts, reassemble in reverse order.
Take lots of pictures before you take it apart.
Should be able to knock it out in under 90 minutes.
When retesting the first time, make sure none of the wires get snagged.

#3388 4 years ago

Great stuff, thanks! Yes mine must have been rebuilt with a different looking opto (that does the same thing)

Quoted from matiou:

I just rebuilt one of my opto boards... on mine the 2 optocouplers were the same... (see pic below). Maybe your board was reworked using a different component?
I replaced one of the opto (which was intermittently failing) with this one from digikey:
http://d.digikey.com/LL20KX02XyJb0Sh1a0N070p
and now everything works fine![quoted image]

#3389 4 years ago

Here’s a good guide:
http://quinndunki.com/blondihacks/?p=1615

Quoted from Isochronic_Frost:

#3390 4 years ago
Quoted from cynric:

There is a fairly big capacitor on the cpu board (100µF I believe), try replacing that against the reboots. For the fuses there is a service bulletin from WMS to power the hand magnet from another fuse: https://www.ipdb.org/files/3683/Williams_1995_Johnny_Mnemonic_Service_Bulletin_87.pdf

Considering the batteries I just replaced had a GOOD TILL date of 1997 I assume he probably bought it, opened it and plopped it down and never ever did this. I will check to see if this fix has been implemented.

Thanks so much for the help!

Quoted from dudah:

Take it apart, clean everything, relube the screw rods with SuperLube, clean out the old grease of of the gearbox and relube with SuperLube, replace the X and Y nuts, reassemble in reverse order.
Take lots of pictures before you take it apart.
Should be able to knock it out in under 90 minutes.
When retesting the first time, make sure none of the wires get snagged.

Thank you, I will do this aswell!

2 weeks later
#3391 4 years ago

I'm trying to figure out the calibration of my glove in the auto run test. Everything seems fine except that the magnet doesn't drop the ball on any of the left-most sections. It will take the ball to that section, but never drop it. If I shake the ball loose so the magnet will release that ball over the playfield, it will continue the test onto the next ball and place that ball in its proper place (the center section) and the ball after that goes without an issue to the proper right-most section. Why isn't it dropping the ball into the left-most section?

Possibly related, in-game it will drop balls into the grid fairly reliably, but will often not release the ball during the CURE NAS or Loop it through Jones modes--those that begin with the ball being dropped into the 3 top lanes.

I've done factory resets, and cleared previous auto run test data. I'm also familiar with the blondihacks link that everyone posts on here. I've given up on the ball in hand switch, so I removed that. X and Y nuts are new, magnet is new.

#3392 4 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

I've given up on the ball in hand switch, so I removed that.

What?!

#3393 4 years ago

You can remove the switch and the game plays fine, but it has a credit dot telling you to check that switch. I still have a new one if I ever feel like revisiting the mechanism, but it's playing more reliably without it.

#3394 4 years ago

I played a JM in the wild a while back and really liked it!
Now I got the chance to buy one. Problem is that it is too far away for me to actually look at and test the machine myself, so all I have to go on is pictures and the sellers word.. Scary.

Since I'v never owned a JM im not really sure what to look out for.

If anyone here could take a look at some pictures and tell me if you see anything strange, would be very appreciated.
Seller says everything is working and that the game is in very good condition, beside a faded cab (only pf and board pics in the link)

Link: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHZ2jde

#3395 4 years ago
Quoted from Agent_Hero:

You can remove the switch and the game plays fine, but it has a credit dot telling you to check that switch. I still have a new one if I ever feel like revisiting the mechanism, but it's playing more reliably without it.

I have the switch installed but the credit for error. Game plays fine. What does the switch do? Worth fixing?

#3396 4 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

I have the switch installed but the credit for error. Game plays fine. What does the switch do? Worth fixing?

The switch does tell the magnet when the ball is inside the glove so that it powers up.
No clue why it does even work without it (you just closed the contacts so that the game thinks the ball is allways inside?) but that'd be the first thing to fix before to look anywhere else.

#3397 4 years ago
Quoted from Wiggy:

If anyone here could take a look at some pictures and tell me if you see anything strange, would be very appreciated.
Seller says everything is working and that the game is in very good condition, beside a faded cab (only pf and board pics in the link)

Tough to tell from the pictures, but I don't see anything obvious. It looks like a typical routed JM that didn't see a ton of play. The plastic at the top of the left ramp isn't original, and there is some cracking at the ramp attachment points which isn't a big deal. I'd mainly be concerned if the boards and hand are in good shape. Would definitely ask for a video showing the glove picking up a ball and moving all the way in all 4 directions, and some close-ups around the battery holder. Don't know where you're located but it would certainly be better to wait for a local one on this title. Even if the hand works now, it will likely need to be rebuilt unless already done by a previous owner.

#3398 4 years ago

Took the glove and motors apart to clean it all so who wants to come put it back together for me

#3399 4 years ago
Quoted from blondie7575:

As far as I know (but I'm not an expert on this), the ball-in-hand switch is only used to duty-cycle the magnet to reduce power consumption once the ball is caught. Presumably this is to improve longevity by reducing strain on the magnet and/or power driver circuit. Some people remove the switch entirely, and report no ill effects aside from a credit dot. Williams Service Bulletin SB85 seems to confirm that this is the only purpose of the BIH switch.

Here's a good explanation from Blondie.

#3400 4 years ago
Quoted from Wiggy:

I played a JM in the wild a while back and really liked it!
Now I got the chance to buy one. Problem is that it is too far away for me to actually look at and test the machine myself, so all I have to go on is pictures and the sellers word.. Scary.
Since I'v never owned a JM im not really sure what to look out for.
Link: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmHZ2jde

Looks good to me.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 22.50
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 37.50
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
There are 4,442 posts in this topic. You are on page 68 of 89.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-mnemonic-is-there-an-owners-club-yet/page/68?hl=cocomonkeh and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.