20240128_174741 (resized).jpg
20240119_155336 (resized).jpg
20240119_155442 (resized).jpg
IMG_3399 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3398 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240108_010115_Gallery (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240108_010045_Gallery (resized).jpg
2 (resized).png
There are 4,442 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 89.
#3101 5 years ago

Old photos but it’s all I have on me atm

0B8C6290-B8B0-4317-92D4-0672F19A53E1 (resized).jpeg0B8C6290-B8B0-4317-92D4-0672F19A53E1 (resized).jpeg6EA09C43-4CC6-4E71-ACD1-286FD5C69657 (resized).jpeg6EA09C43-4CC6-4E71-ACD1-286FD5C69657 (resized).jpeg788E411B-E196-45E1-AD94-68F6A1CEF6FF (resized).jpeg788E411B-E196-45E1-AD94-68F6A1CEF6FF (resized).jpegB95BF489-7751-4893-B17C-21098B0D0B1B (resized).jpegB95BF489-7751-4893-B17C-21098B0D0B1B (resized).jpeg
#3102 5 years ago

Thank you. Wonder if my arm isn't just a little bent out of shape.

#3103 5 years ago

Just wanna share this little Perler Bead art I made from one of the ColorDMD images on Johnny. Can do any scene from any game if anyone's interested. Picture was taken on top of a storm trooper stool.

IMG_0637 (resized).JPGIMG_0637 (resized).JPG
3 weeks later
#3104 5 years ago

Anyone have or seen a good alternate translite for JM? The only one I've seen is the one that is basically the same as the original, with just the pictures rearranged. Since the backbox lighting is so vanilla with no flashers, I'm really surprised no one has produced something else, since no real serious need to sync up the art with the lighting.....this machine would be a million times more desirable if the translite wasn't a total turd.

A hand-drawn comic style would be incredible. Something more akin to the JM Laseriffic topper.....which is one of my favorites.

johnnyl (resized).jpgjohnnyl (resized).jpg
#3105 5 years ago

I'd want a Color DMD but sadly (according to the Color DMD Website) it only works with the english settings.

That would be no Problem displaywise, but JM has AWESOME German (and French) Voiceover, wich won't work when the machine is set to english. -_-;

#3106 5 years ago

Waiting for an update that calls for "(I WANT) ROOM SERVICE!!!"!

Best line in the movie.

#3107 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

I'd want a Color DMD but sadly (according to the Color DMD Website) it only works with the english settings.
That would be no Problem displaywise, but JM has AWESOME German (and French) Voiceover, wich won't work when the machine is set to english. -_-;

waaait are you saying there are different sound roms or something? Or you mean using a pinsound or something similar?

#3108 5 years ago
Quoted from supermoot:

waaait are you saying there are different sound roms or something? Or you mean using a pinsound or something similar?

None of the above. The Rom has English, French and German voices inside from the getgo wich can be switched via the sysem menu/ coindoor.

But if you switch to german or french color dmd won't work anymore.

#3109 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

None of the above. The Rom has English, French and German voices inside from the getgo wich can be switched via the sysem menu/ coindoor.
But if you switch to german or french color dmd won't work anymore.

This intrigued me. I colored WWFRR for ColorDMD so I have an idea of why it wouldn't work perfectly but it should still work mostly. I switched my Johnny with a colordmd over to German to see what happens.

First the speech didn't change at all the call outs were still in English. I'm not sure if there's a certain German Speech Rom or not. Or I needed to turn something else on.

Next though the menu text changed to German a lot of the game text was in English still. Not all though. Game over, free play were in German but the directions on how to use the glove when it has a ball was mostly English.

As for the ColorDMD like I thought it mostly works just like it was in English. The way color DMD works is it looks for certain patterns of dots to make the screen colored. So if there's no words on the screen, just animations or just English words it's gonna display the color just fine. This is 85% of what I saw.

There was a few times it had English and German text on the screen and it was hit or miss if the color was accurate. Some times it was perfect. Other times the first few and last few German letters were white instead of color cause the German text ended up being longer than the English text and they only colored the length of the English text. This would probably be the only thing you'll notice when it happens but it doesn't happen often.

Lastly when the screen just had German text and no English or animations e.i. "Game Over screen" it should have the text colored yellow and red but with color DMD if the person coloring it misses a panel or doesn't color a panel there's a default color the whole screen uses. Johnny's is a Blue to match the playfield (WWFRR is white) so instead of a Red and yellow Game Over in German you get a blue game over. Another example for English setting users is The Mortal Kombat 3 screen wasn't colored. Which is a shame cause it would look awesome with that red orange and yellow symbol.

Final thoughts. If you love your Johnny Mnemonic pin and it's a keeper bolted to the floor never leaving I would get the color DMD and play in German. You won't notice the differences as much as me cause you haven't been playing with it in English and if you do notice a mistake it's minimal. Most importantly your game will still work you won't have a dead DMD just a few off colors every now and then.

#3110 5 years ago
Quoted from phillymadison:

This intrigued me. I colored WWFRR for ColorDMD so I have an idea of why it wouldn't work perfectly but it should still work mostly. I switched my Johnny with a colordmd over to German to see what happens.
First the speech didn't change at all the call outs were still in English. I'm not sure if there's a certain German Speech Rom or not. Or I needed to turn something else on.
Next though the menu text changed to German a lot of the game text was in English still. Not all though. Game over, free play were in German but the directions on how to use the glove when it has a ball was mostly English.
As for the ColorDMD like I thought it mostly works just like it was in English. The way color DMD works is it looks for certain patterns of dots to make the screen colored. So if there's no words on the screen, just animations or just English words it's gonna display the color just fine. This is 85% of what I saw.
There was a few times it had English and German text on the screen and it was hit or miss if the color was accurate. Some times it was perfect. Other times the first few and last few German letters were white instead of color cause the German text ended up being longer than the English text and they only colored the length of the English text. This would probably be the only thing you'll notice when it happens but it doesn't happen often.
Lastly when the screen just had German text and no English or animations e.i. "Game Over screen" it should have the text colored yellow and red but with color DMD if the person coloring it misses a panel or doesn't color a panel there's a default color the whole screen uses. Johnny's is a Blue to match the playfield (WWFRR is white) so instead of a Red and yellow Game Over in German you get a blue game over. Another example for English setting users is The Mortal Kombat 3 screen wasn't colored. Which is a shame cause it would look awesome with that red orange and yellow symbol.
Final thoughts. If you love your Johnny Mnemonic pin and it's a keeper bolted to the floor never leaving I would get the color DMD and play in German. You won't notice the differences as much as me cause you haven't been playing with it in English and if you do notice a mistake it's minimal. Most importantly your game will still work you won't have a dead DMD just a few off colors every now and then.

Thx, for the explanations.

As for german voices:
You have to switch the game to german, and then additionally enable german voices.
Page 1-27 in the (US) manual "Feature Adjustments" -> 10. "German Speech".
Usual Voices are still in english but the 'Narrator' Voice has additional dubbed data so everyone understands where to shoot.
So like: "Use the glove to put your balls in the cyber matrix.", "Shoot white Triangles.", "Shoot left Ramp", etc.
You can also listen to that if you download the original ROM Dump from Pinsound.

BUT that voices only work when the game is switched to german also, otherwise I would switch to german voces but keep english text (since it's full of spelling errors anyway).

#3111 5 years ago

Whoa! very cool I'll check it out!

#3112 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Thx, for the explanations.
As for german voices:
You have to switch the game to german, and then additionally enable german voices.
Page 1-27 in the (US) manual "Feature Adjustments" -> 10. "German Speech".
Usual Voices are still in english but the 'Narrator' Voice has additional dubbed data so everyone understands where to shoot.
So like: "Use the glove to put your balls in the cyber matrix.", "Shoot white Triangles.", "Shoot left Ramp", etc.
You can also listen to that if you download the original ROM Dump from Pinsound.
BUT that voices only work when the game is switched to german also, otherwise I would switch to german voces but keep english text (since it's full of spelling errors anyway).

Cool. I seriously doubt the verbal speech will effect the color DMD in any way so you should be good if you don't care about a few frames being different or off from the English version. If you want I can try to change mine over to German text German speech and see. It's just a little tough cause I can't read the menu lol.

3 weeks later
#3113 5 years ago

when I start a game and the ball kicks into the shooter lane, I score instantly 1,000,010. This will happen if it's a one player game, 2, 3 or 4, everyone starts with a 1,000,010. At least everyone gets the same amount of points . There's no switches that are stuck on so it's weird. I'm thinking about switching out the Roms, any other thoughts?

#3114 5 years ago
Quoted from Yesh23:

when I start a game and the ball kicks into the shooter lane, I score instantly 1,000,010. This will happen if it's a one player game, 2, 3 or 4, everyone starts with a 1,000,010. At least everyone gets the same amount of points . There's no switches that are stuck on so it's weird. I'm thinking about switching out the Roms, any other thoughts?

Maybe the 'shock' of the eject coil firing is triggering an unrelated switch. You could try taking the glass off, putting it in switch test and tapping the playfield to see if you get any switches registering?

#3115 5 years ago
Quoted from lukex:

Maybe the 'shock' of the eject coil firing is triggering an unrelated switch. You could try taking the glass off, putting it in switch test and tapping the playfield to see if you get any switches registering?

That's the first thing i tried but nothing., luckily on this game a million isn't all that much

#3116 5 years ago

My hand works again fine in test but the up and down range is really strange in game. What was the fix for this again?

#3117 5 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

My hand works again fine in test but the up and down range is really strange in game. What was the fix for this again?

Left right, or forward backwards?

#3118 5 years ago

Forward and backward. Works fine in the manual test.

#3119 5 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

Forward and backward. Works fine in the manual test.

Can you describe what is happening “really strange” in game play?

#3120 5 years ago

Oh sorry I thought I typed a better explanation. It won’t go up high enough to read the 123 digits (were it a real phone.) it has a full range in the hand test.

#3121 5 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

Oh sorry I thought I typed a better explanation. It won’t go up high enough to read the 123 digits (were it a real phone.) it has a full range in the hand test.

That I don’t know about then, but how is the y axis nut?

#3122 5 years ago

Sorted the hand out. But after rebuilding the matrix clear assembly, it will simply not clear.
New coil. Voltage is fine. I can hear it fire. But something is up.

danKwFe (resized).jpgdanKwFe (resized).jpg
#3123 5 years ago
jm (resized).jpgjm (resized).jpg
#3124 5 years ago

Should I have a washer on the other side of it? I’ll try that tonight.

#3125 5 years ago

Mine appears to have a washer, and the nut is a locking nut. B47F63A2-679A-400C-9EDA-506E9A434265 (resized).jpegB47F63A2-679A-400C-9EDA-506E9A434265 (resized).jpeg

#3126 5 years ago

Looking for sling shot plastic and ramp decals if any one has a set?

#3127 5 years ago
Quoted from Jenniebear:

Looking for sling shot plastic and ramp decals if any one has a set?

Sling shot no problem. If you can’t find one locally let me know.

#3128 5 years ago

Where are the NOS play fields for this game. I can’t find any. Is there a reproduction available ?

#3129 5 years ago
Quoted from ralphcousman:

Where are the NOS play fields for this game. I can’t find any. Is there a reproduction available ?

I don't think there is any need?

Most games didn't get play a lot in location it seems.
Every single JM I've seen until know still had a pretty playfield.

Ramps and the Hand are the main things that wear.
(Have to check the hand switch btw. After rebuilding the hand 1,5 years ago it now doesn't allways grab the ball.)

#3130 5 years ago

I have a need for a new Playfield any help would be appreciated.

#3131 5 years ago

I'm in! Had the pleasure of playing a few nice examples recently and really got into it. Found a local-ish one and pulled it out of a house. Despite signs of being routed, it's overall very clean. Before I bring it inside I was considering masking off the cabinet and airbrushing the faded red, am I nuts?
Was inspired when I saw this guy - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-airbrushing-tutorial

IMG_20181109_171500 (resized).jpgIMG_20181109_171500 (resized).jpg

#3132 5 years ago

Its not terribly faded, id put it in the linup as is.

#3133 5 years ago
Quoted from Spitfiren8:

Its not terribly faded, id put it in the linup as is.

Agreed, how bad is the cab otherwise?

#3134 5 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

I'm in! Had the pleasure of playing a few nice examples recently and really got into it. Found a local-ish one and pulled it out of a house. Despite signs of being routed, it's overall very clean. Before I bring it inside I was considering masking off the cabinet and airbrushing the faded red, am I nuts?
Was inspired when I saw this guy - https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/cabinet-airbrushing-tutorial
[quoted image]

I’d say go for it! If you have the means to make it look better yourself, it is always a great feeling when completed.

#3135 5 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Mine appears to have a washer, and the nut is a locking nut. [quoted image]

Finally got around to trying your advice and still no dice. I dont know what I'm missing here. I'll rebuild it all the way from the manual again.

#3136 5 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

Finally got around to trying your advice and still no dice. I dont know what I'm missing here. I'll rebuild it all the way from the manual again.

What happens when you push in the plunger with your finger? Does it slide into the coil with little resistance and raise the matrix? It should.

Also, the return spring you are using on the plunger looks odd. Almost like its already compressed. There are a ton of turns in your spring that are very close together but the normal ones have way fewer and farther apart I think....If you look at the other pictures people included, the spring looks quite different. Maybe it simply can't compress enough to allow the plunger to go far enough into the coil to raise the matrix.....

#3137 5 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

Another current picture closer up would be helpful.

#3138 5 years ago

Thanks everyone I’ll pull it and take some pics

The previous owner did have too heavy of a spring on it so I have the right one on. It works fine pressing it by hand but something still seems odd. The person who I had fix the hand said the voltage to the coil is right but I can retest it.

#3139 5 years ago
Quoted from cocomonkeh:

Thanks everyone I’ll pull it and take some pics
The previous owner did have too heavy of a spring on it so I have the right one on. It works fine pressing it by hand but something still seems odd. The person who I had fix the hand said the voltage to the coil is right but I can retest it.

Test fire the coil in solenoid test. Anything happen at all?

t's not a rocket science device so if pushing in the plunger by hand works without significant resistance, it would seem to me the problems would likely be the coil, or the power getting to it.

Make sure:
1. The nuts previously shown are loose enough to allow the lever to move without being restricted.
2. The coil sleeve isn't damaged and slides in and out of the coil freely (ie: the coil isn't swollen.
3. The end if the plunger and coil stop are not mushroomed.
4. Solder joints are good on the 2 wires attached to the coil.
5. Coil itself doesn't have failed winding.

#3140 5 years ago

Any commonly broke plastics? I'm going to make some UV protectors and possibly some repros.

#3141 5 years ago
Quoted from cmack750:

Test fire the coil in solenoid test. Anything happen at all?
t's not a rocket science device so if pushing in the plunger by hand works without significant resistance, it would seem to me the problems would likely be the coil, or the power getting to it.
Make sure:
1. The nuts previously shown are loose enough to allow the lever to move without being restricted.
2. The coil sleeve isn't damaged and slides in and out of the coil freely (ie: the coil isn't swollen.
3. The end if the plunger and coil stop are not mushroomed.
4. Solder joints are good on the 2 wires attached to the coil.
5. Coil itself doesn't have failed winding.

It’s a new coil and sleeve and it does fire in test mode it just doesn’t get enough pull to clear the thing. I can move it by hand but something is just enough off to cause a problem. This is why it’s so baffling.

#3142 5 years ago

Coil is proper size? Per manual, should be a AE-25-1000. Last thing that immediately comes to mind is that coil may be too weak to raise the matrix cover.

#3143 5 years ago

Here’s a couple more pics of mine for reference

25CDCB06-C0F5-4531-BF56-1CFF8499E3F7 (resized).jpeg25CDCB06-C0F5-4531-BF56-1CFF8499E3F7 (resized).jpegC3034654-C07C-4489-A3A4-179C7AC3463D (resized).jpegC3034654-C07C-4489-A3A4-179C7AC3463D (resized).jpeg

ABF27024-E1D0-4635-BD6B-F67A135A83BE (resized).jpegABF27024-E1D0-4635-BD6B-F67A135A83BE (resized).jpeg
#3144 5 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Any commonly broke plastics? I'm going to make some UV protectors and possibly some repros.

The cover of the left ramp turn is usually beaten up badly. Apart from that I've only had a small crack on the tiny plastic below the glove between the jets and the spinner lane - dunno how common that is.

#3145 5 years ago

Loving the game, still thinking the movie is a missed opportunity.

What did they do with the budget?

Looking for ideas to (tastefully) mod the game, wich is problematic beeing so less iconic things.

What thing that strikes me is that the whithe knuckles on the glove are "lit" white even blinking flesh color ("blurry pink") when data is transferred in real life scenes. So I'm working on getting that done... without cutting holes in the glove and putting a bulb in like another mod I found.

Looking forward to showing that soon but still collecting ideas what's to do next.

5-Johnny-Mnemonic-1995 (resized).jpg5-Johnny-Mnemonic-1995 (resized).jpg
#3146 5 years ago

Laser cut some fluorescent protectors for the lower plastics and left ramp!
v2 will have the clear part in the middle of the ramp plastic cut out too!
The camera can only capture it so well, but they look killer lit up.

Considering doing a run of these, please PM me if interested.

IMG_20181113_173929 (resized).jpgIMG_20181113_173929 (resized).jpgIMG_20181113_173942 (resized).jpgIMG_20181113_173942 (resized).jpg

#3147 5 years ago
Quoted from dudah:

Laser cut some fluorescent protectors for the lower plastics and left ramp!
v2 will have the clear part in the middle of the ramp plastic cut out too!
The camera can only capture it so well, but they look killer lit up.
Considering doing a run of these, please PM me if interested.
[quoted image][quoted image]

Interested, but would like to see a pic of them installed on the playfield for reference.

#3148 5 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Interested, but would like to see a pic of them installed on the playfield for reference.

Me too I'm shopping out my game currently and should have it back together in another week.

#3149 5 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

WP_20181114_03_40_22_Pro.jpgWP_20181114_03_40_22_Pro.jpg
#3150 5 years ago

Put them on to tickle my fancy.
Ordered some more plexi, going to make the return lanes also. Stay tuned.

IMG_20181114_000244 (resized).jpgIMG_20181114_000244 (resized).jpgIMG_20181114_000252 (resized).jpgIMG_20181114_000252 (resized).jpgIMG_20181114_000338 (resized).jpgIMG_20181114_000338 (resized).jpgIMG_20181114_000345 (resized).jpgIMG_20181114_000345 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 37.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Morristown, NJ
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 22.50
Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 29.00
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Hey modders!
Your shop name here
There are 4,442 posts in this topic. You are on page 63 of 89.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-mnemonic-is-there-an-owners-club-yet/page/63 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.