20240128_174741 (resized).jpg
20240119_155336 (resized).jpg
20240119_155442 (resized).jpg
IMG_3399 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3398 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240108_010115_Gallery (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240108_010045_Gallery (resized).jpg
2 (resized).png
There are 4,442 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 89.
#3001 5 years ago
Quoted from cynric:

Don't worry too much. From my experience with that shop their products are very often of less-than-optimal quality; regarding repro plastics I have no own experience but I've heard that they follow suit.. As you only need sling shot plastics they should not be too hard to get NOS, I've seen them quite often for sale in the German forums.
I'll take a look when I'm at my JM next, if I've got an extra set (not sure if I've bought one) I can offer that as a backup. A single letter to the States isn't that expensive..

Thanks for the help. Much appreciated!

#3002 5 years ago

I have some repro plastics from pinball refurbs, different shop, but probably similar quality plastics? I've heard they can crack faster than oem, but put those lexan washers or pinbits protectors to help protect them from cracking

#3003 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

I have some repro plastics from pinball refurbs, different shop, but probably similar quality plastics? I've heard they can crack faster than oem, but put those lexan washers or pinbits protectors to help protect them from cracking

sorry. I bad context. I don't have JM plastics, or does retrorefurb, but I was just stating my experience so far with someone who is making replacements in europe.

#3004 5 years ago

Pair of NOS Slingshots, still with protective film, found. What a pain in the a$$.

All: because this process was so ridiculously annoying and it seems that locating plastics for this machine is near impossible, I reached out to Joe at Laseriffic about potentially being able to laser cut the most common 6 (or so) plastics that tend to get broken in JM to their exact original specs so that I could then just scan my pieces and use the nandemoguy method to recreate them any time I want, based on scans of my originals. Definitely much cheaper that buying repro's international after shipping (even 1 piece).

He's on board with doing this. A set of the 6 or so of the 'common" clear plastics (which you'd then have to decal yourself) would probably run around 30 bucks.... Don't know exactly the price until I get him the scans. So I wanted to reach out to the JM community and gauge whether anyone else would have interest in getting their hands on these (ie: is it worth my time and would it benefit anyone else but me) and also to get input on WHICH plastics you believe would be the most important to include in this set. (the 2 Slingshots and the plastic at the top of the left ramp would be a must already... Looking for feedback about others)

#3005 5 years ago

Glad you found some! Didn't make it to my JM yet to look for them.
Regarding the plastic I've still got a full playfield plastic scan on my hard drive that someone posted on the german forum a few years back. Quality is decent and 600dpi. They would only need a slight touchup to remove scractes and rebuild minor paint defects. I can upload those somewhere if you like.
You would however probably have to supply your printer with at least one of your originals to get the colors right. I've had some south american repros where the colors would not match my machines at all, so there might be different print batches around from WMS..

#3006 5 years ago

Another question for you guys: Back when I got my JM I fitted it with some nice instruction cards, that I found somewhere. As they have started to fade and quality is mediocre anyway I wanted to have them reprinted on nice photo paper now. However I have lost the original file and I have no idea where I got it 5 years ago. The designer did not put his mark on there..
I've been searching for days now but I can not find them online either. Only thing I found were lots of cards in different designs (some neat, some just awful), but not the ones I have right now.
Has anybody here come across these cards or has them saved and could upload them for me please?

IMG_20180515_215636 (resized).jpgIMG_20180515_215636 (resized).jpg

IMG_20180515_215642 (resized).jpgIMG_20180515_215642 (resized).jpg

#3007 5 years ago

Just picked up a JM for our location but the hand is starting to act up. I think one of the connectors on the driver board is bad because if I reseat it, it works for a game or two - then quits (often taking down the drop target up. Probably just going to replace it with trifurcons.

#3008 5 years ago

I am in the process of restoring my recently acquired JM. I am worried about the x-screw for the glove assembly.

The x-nut was stripped but when I thread it over the x-screw (after thoroughly cleaning both), it seems to be tighter at each end? I am hoping it isn't the x-screw as well as I cannot locate a source for this part (02-5206) - suppliers out of stock.

Am I being pinball-paranoid?? I just want to order a new one.......

I do have a new x-nut in the mail and I will report back once it arrives.

#3009 5 years ago
Quoted from lukex:

I am in the process of restoring my recently acquired JM. I am worried about the x-screw for the glove assembly.
The x-nut was stripped but when I thread it over the x-screw (after thoroughly cleaning both), it seems to be tighter at each end? I am hoping it isn't the x-screw as well as I cannot locate a source for this part (02-5206) - suppliers out of stock.
Am I being pinball-paranoid?? I just want to order a new one.......
I do have a new x-nut in the mail and I will report back once it arrives.

Highly unlikely you'd need to worry about the x screw, since the metal of the nut is made intentionally softer that the rod so I won't get chewed up.

Did you re-grease the rod after cleaning it? You should apply a very light coating of white lithium grease (or similar) to it after you've cleaned it. In addition, a very light application of machine oil should be applied to the brass bushings at either end of the rod before you insert it.

On a side note, since I'm rebuilding mine too, what size hex key did you use to remove the set screw in the spider coupler at the end of the rod, near the gear box? I don't have a hex key small enough.... Wanna make sure I get the right one.

#3010 5 years ago
Quoted from cmack750:

Highly unlikely you'd need to worry about the x screw, since the metal of the nut is made intentionally softer that the rod so I won't get chewed up.
Did you re-grease the rod after cleaning it? You should apply a very light coating of white lithium grease (or similar) to it after you've cleaned it. In addition, a very light application of machine oil should be applied to the brass bushings at either end of the rod before you insert it.
On a side note, since I'm rebuilding mine too, what size hex key did you use to remove the set screw in the spider coupler at the end of the rod, near the gear box? I don't have a hex key small enough.... Wanna make sure I get the right one.

The set screw..... great question. I also didn't have one small enough so I found that I could inch the hand to the right hand side (if the gloves are facing you) just enough to unscrew the whole x-nut and then it just had enough clearance.

A bit of a 'hack' but it worked fortunately and I didn't need to worry about stripping-out that tiny set screw either.

As far as the lube and the composition of the rod, thanks for the tips..... I will certainly rest easier once I get the whole thing back together.

#3011 5 years ago

Yeah..... I took apart WAY more than I had to on the Y nut/screw to get the nut out for cleaning because of that damn set screw. Once I get to the hardware store, I'll post back if I figure out the right size. Not a deal breaker for the screws/rods, but if you want to open and re-grease the gearboxes (like I am doing), the set screws have to be unscrewed. Fortunately, I've already removed one of the gearboxes with a coupler attached, so I can take it with me and make sure the size is right.

Don't sweat that x screw until you get your new nut. Remember that the old nut is chewed up, so the threads on it are all messed up anyway. Just make sure to grease the rod (VERY lightly) before you put the new nut on and it should go right on nice and smooth.... Plus the grease helps keep it from getting chewed up again later.

#3012 5 years ago

I just bought the new slingshot plastics from pinball.center. Luckily my best friend is living in Germany, so I just had them mail them to him and he is forwarding them on to me. But yeah, not easy to find slingshot plastics for this machine. I'll let you know the quality of them when I get them.

My translite is scratched to hell though and I don't know where to find a new one.

#3013 5 years ago
Quoted from enkiktd:

I just bought the new slingshot plastics from pinball.center. Luckily my best friend is living in Germany, so I just had them mail them to him and he is forwarding them on to me. But yeah, not easy to find slingshot plastics for this machine. I'll let you know the quality of them when I get them.
My translite is scratched to hell though and I don't know where to find a new one.

I seriously lucked out. By chance, I emailed the guys at Mayfair Amusements and they had a set of NOS, still with the plastic on them. $27 bucks WITH shipping. I must be livin' right.....

#3014 5 years ago
Quoted from cmack750:

Once I get to the hardware store, I'll post back if I figure out the right size..

For those that were eagerly awaiting my response on this (yes....i realize that is no one. But for posterity's sake):

The set screws used in the couplers attached to the x/y screws, in the couplers attached to the gearboxes, and in the opto-wheels on the opposite side of the gearboxes all used the same size hex key: 1/16 SAE (Non-Metric). You may "feel" that a 1.5mm seems to fit in the coupler set screws. But you'd be wrong.......trust me.

In my case, I injected a little penetrating oil in both cavities for each set screw for the couplers, waiting an hour, and they came right out. I'd recommend doing that before forcing it and potentially stripping your set screws: it's unlikely anyone has removed them for 20+ years and those babies are metal on metal.

If you ever want to clean your x/y screws and be able to oil the bushings effectively at the same time or take apart the gearbox for a rebuild/re-lube, you'll need one of these bad boys. I whopping 50 cents at my local Ace True Value Hardware Store.

#3015 5 years ago
Quoted from cynric:

Has anybody here come across these cards or has them saved and could upload them for me please?

I found them here: https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/new-johnny-mnemonic-jm-custom-cards

#3016 5 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

Going thru my pinball stuff I came across a purple NOS agodfrey's JM speaker panel I can part away with...

Still available...

#3017 5 years ago
Quoted from cmack750:

Pair of NOS Slingshots, still with protective film, found. What a pain in the a$$.
All: because this process was so ridiculously annoying and it seems that locating plastics for this machine is near impossible, I reached out to Joe at Laseriffic about potentially being able to laser cut the most common 6 (or so) plastics that tend to get broken in JM to their exact original specs so that I could then just scan my pieces and use the NANDEMOGUY method to recreate them any time I want, based on scans of my originals. Definitely much cheaper that buying repro's international after shipping (even 1 piece).
He's on board with doing this. A set of the 6 or so of the 'common" clear plastics (which you'd then have to decal yourself) would probably run around 30 bucks.... Don't know exactly the price until I get him the scans. So I wanted to reach out to the JM community and gauge whether anyone else would have interest in getting their hands on these (ie: is it worth my time and would it benefit anyone else but me) and also to get input on WHICH plastics you believe would be the most important to include in this set. (the 2 Slingshots and the plastic at the top of the left ramp would be a must already... Looking for feedback about others)

IMG_20180318_115611 (resized).jpgIMG_20180318_115611 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180318_115616 (resized).jpgIMG_20180318_115616 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180318_115602 (resized).jpgIMG_20180318_115602 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180318_115607 (resized).jpgIMG_20180318_115607 (resized).jpg
IMG_20180318_115623 (resized).jpgIMG_20180318_115623 (resized).jpg

#3018 5 years ago

Thank you, somehow that topic managed to slip past my search

#3019 5 years ago

Anyone know why the right sling flasher won't work. I assume it's a transistor. Anyone know which one needs replaced?

Also I have a switch sticking on the bottom right of tic tac toe, and suggestions there. Alcohol etc..

#3020 5 years ago

Shopped the Johnny I bought a few weeks ago. About 5 1/2 hours start to finish.

Stripped the play field
Replaced all rubbers (changed lowers to Titan blues)
Replaced all black star posts with blue
Added Cliffys to both ramps (really nice job Cliff)
Polished the play field with Meguiars #2 and then Mirror Glaze
Added Cyan LEDs to upper lanes
Replaced the broken spotlight shining on the hands
Replaced all GI lighting with Comet sunlights
Finally, added a coat of fresh wax

Looks and plays great!

image (resized).jpegimage (resized).jpeg

#3021 5 years ago

Wow. That's some nice work. Color scheme looks very clean.

#3022 5 years ago
Quoted from cmack750:

Wow. That's some nice work. Color scheme looks very clean.

Thx. Tried to keep it simple!

#3023 5 years ago

Anyone know where I can get a new left sling?

#3024 5 years ago

Oooh boy, back to the problems.
Repinned the offending connector but still am having no Y movement and no drop target down. Combing the manual to find where those two things have something in common.

#3025 5 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

Anyone know where I can get a new left sling?

I do, but as someone here said, shipping from South America is SO expensive!!!

#3026 5 years ago

Checked the connectors and all seem fine. I quick switched the j2 and j3 on here to see if I would get movement on the y only. I did. I’m guessing that cracked cap is causing problems. Anyone see any other obvious problems?

6AC66DBD-3332-4061-ACC2-9D960816983B (resized).jpeg6AC66DBD-3332-4061-ACC2-9D960816983B (resized).jpeg

E5741DBC-CDA0-4165-B7C6-7CB6B497240E (resized).jpegE5741DBC-CDA0-4165-B7C6-7CB6B497240E (resized).jpeg

#3027 5 years ago
Quoted from AlexSMendes:

I do, but as someone here said, shipping from South America is SO expensive!!!

How much is it to get it shipped to me?

#3028 5 years ago

Looking for a new set of JM plastics. Would love to track down some ramp decals also. I saw a very old post about a member making a set. Any leads?

#3029 5 years ago

Someone please PM me with source for the red "Johnny Mnemonic" cabinet decal strips. Just the red portion of the cabinet decals. Overlays. Mine are all faded and I don't want to do a complete re-decal on the game
Thx

#3030 5 years ago
Quoted from MT45:

Someone please PM me with source for the red "Johnny Mnemonic" cabinet decal strips. Just the red portion of the cabinet decals. Overlays. Mine are all faded and I don't want to do a complete re-decal on the game
Thx

Not sure if they are still being made? You could just trim a full set to suit if that's what you want to achieve?

#3031 5 years ago

I'd like decals and the matrix plastic. The ramps you can get, but the matrix plastic and decals you cannot

#3032 5 years ago
Quoted from hank527:

I'd like decals and the matrix plastic. The ramps you can get, but the matrix plastic and decals you cannot

Full cabinet decals?

#3033 5 years ago
Quoted from insx:

Full cabinet decals?

Ramp decals.

#3034 5 years ago

I've gone and done it again....

4 times!!!!! This will be the last time x___x ...

https://pinside.com/pinball/market/classifieds/ad/64595

#3035 5 years ago

If anyone has quick access to the backbox and can have a look and tell me on J208 you might have a single Green/Black (says Green-Blue in the guide) cable going into a connector at J208 let me know what displacement connector it's in if pin 1 is on the right and pin 9 on the right. Thanks!

Screen Shot 2018-05-27 at 12.21.41 AM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2018-05-27 at 12.21.41 AM (resized).png

#3036 5 years ago

Minabluemerle got me hooked up thanks!

#3037 5 years ago

Anyone have a X-BRIDGE WPCHV installed? Mine only plugs into J604, and doesn't start up the DMD when installed, so I think I am missing something simple or installing it wrong. Or have the wrong board... IMG_6710 (resized).JPGIMG_6710 (resized).JPG

#3038 5 years ago

Stoked to be playing this again!

B4A3B9F9-1F2F-4AC6-A191-AAC454AE433A (resized).jpegB4A3B9F9-1F2F-4AC6-A191-AAC454AE433A (resized).jpeg

66B3CC84-98C7-4A18-AFD8-4048691CA7C1 (resized).jpeg66B3CC84-98C7-4A18-AFD8-4048691CA7C1 (resized).jpeg

#3039 5 years ago

Has anyone installed a WPC speaker panel in their JM? My original panel needs replacing and thought I’d replace it with a WPC chrome panel. This should be possible yeah?

90B5D91F-8DF6-4BA3-927E-2446053657E5 (resized).png90B5D91F-8DF6-4BA3-927E-2446053657E5 (resized).png

#3040 5 years ago
Quoted from Flynnyfalcon:

Has anyone installed a WPC speaker panel in their JM? My original panel needs replacing and thought I’d replace it with a WPC chrome panel. This should be possible yeah?

I fon't know but I asked that myself from time to time (since I prefer the looks).

Plz tell & show if you try it out.

2 weeks later
#3041 5 years ago

Added a home made Pinstadium kit over the weekend. Makes a massive difference to what is a pretty dark pin. Still working on best colour if any and brightness, but so far so good.

IMG_845 (resized).JPGIMG_845 (resized).JPGIMG_84510 (resized).JPGIMG_84510 (resized).JPGIMG_8452 (resized).JPGIMG_8452 (resized).JPG
1 week later
#3042 5 years ago

Anyone have a spare of the clear plastic that goes over the top of the right ramp they'd be willing to part with? It's the last broken plastic I need to replace. PM me if so.

#3043 5 years ago
Quoted from cmack750:

Anyone have a spare of the clear plastic that goes over the top of the right ramp they'd be willing to part with? It's the last broken plastic I need to replace. PM me if so.

If you get stuck, they have a bunch of other repro plastics there too

http://www.pinball.center/en/shop/pinball-parts/playfield-parts/plastics/9087/plastic-9-for-johnny-mnemonic?c=2101

#3044 5 years ago

Yet another random question.

I ordered a full clear plastic protector set from pinbits for JM. Matched up each piece to its corresponding plastic and ended up with one piece left. For the life of me, I can't figure out where this is supposed to go. Anyone have any thoughts? (it's clear...just haven't removed the film yet)

IMG_20180623_091801485 (resized).jpgIMG_20180623_091801485 (resized).jpg
#3045 5 years ago

(and yes, I reached out to the pinbits folks, but no response)

#3046 5 years ago
Quoted from cmack750:

I ordered a full clear plastic protector set from pinbits for JM. Matched up each piece to its corresponding plastic and ended up with one piece left. For the life of me, I can't figure out where this is supposed to go. Anyone have any thoughts? (it's clear...just haven't removed the film yet)

I couldn't find a suitable location for that piece either, so I didn't use it. I kept it, cut it up, and customized it for another purpose. I'll be interested if anyone can identify where it was supposed to go since I destroyed mine, LOL.

#3047 5 years ago
Quoted from cmack750:

That piece doesn’t go on Johnny Mnemonic.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-mnemonic-is-there-an-owners-club-yet/page/54#post-3548543

#3048 5 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

That piece doesn’t go on Johnny Mnemonic.

Nice info. Thanks!

#3049 5 years ago

Thank you! At least I know I'm not crazy.... Or missing a plastic I didn't know about.

That kit was all sort of crazy. They actually send me 2 of another piece as well by accident.. Guess I just have a bonus spare.....

IMG_20180621_100956826 (resized).jpgIMG_20180621_100956826 (resized).jpg
#3050 5 years ago

Since I'm in the process of rebuilding my JM, I decided today that I would remove and replace the factory mylar between the pop bumpers, since mine was peeling up in a couple spots. Because of the way that piece is made, you don't really see it at all, and I'd rather keep the playfield in the pops good forever. Thankfully, I managed to get the mylar up in only 3 pieces. This piece of mylar has a really distinct shape, and you can't get it anywhere.......so.....

I taped the pieces back together and used it as a template to cut my own from a 3mil sheet. It's pretty darn close to an exact replica. You can download a scan of it at https://www.dropbox.com/s/qbvti7xd8zvzhtv/Johnny%20Mnemonic%20Pop%20Bumper%20Area%20Mylar%20-%20Exact.jpg?dl=0 if you'd like a copy. Just print the image as actual size without margins/borders, cut it out, and you should have a template of your own.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 29.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

There are 4,442 posts in this topic. You are on page 61 of 89.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-mnemonic-is-there-an-owners-club-yet/page/61 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.