20240128_174741 (resized).jpg
20240119_155336 (resized).jpg
20240119_155442 (resized).jpg
IMG_3399 (resized).jpeg
IMG_3398 (resized).jpeg
Screenshot_20240108_010115_Gallery (resized).jpg
Screenshot_20240108_010045_Gallery (resized).jpg
2 (resized).png

There are 4,433 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 89.
#551 10 years ago
Quoted from blondie7575:

When shopping for mine, I looked at about a dozen Johnnies. Four of them in person, the rest through detailed photos. Every single one of them is either missing that ramp cover, or it was damaged to varying degrees. The machine I bought has it, but it has been repaired in such a way that it would a bad candidate for scanning.
If there's a market for a single plastic on JM, it's that. I think the JM user base is too small for the parts reproducers to be interested, though.
Someone here on pinside did reproduce it themselves, and a vector of that decal is available. I can't seem to find it now, though. It was definitely posted here at some point. I've seen the vector file with my own two eyes...

I've got the vector file...I'll PM the OP tomorrow.

#552 10 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

I've got the vector file...I'll PM the OP tomorrow.

Awesome! Actually, I could use it too, if you could send it my way.

#553 10 years ago

Can someone shoot a quick video of their DMD on startup? I think my DMD is doing something unusual. I don't see the progress bar that people talk about. I'd love to see a video going from totally off to ready to start a game, with no test report.

I have a theory that mine may have that delay hack that European operators put in to prevent showing some game details at startup, but I'm not sure what it's supposed to look like. Once I verify mine has been hacked, I'm going to try and figure out how to reverse it. If anyone knows about this, let me know.

#554 10 years ago

Made that ramp piece a few months back. That vector file combined with decent decal paper and a really good printer will work. May take a few tries and extra patience,but is a must as that ball will jump that ramp like Evel knievel over the fountain at Caesars Palace when missing.

#555 10 years ago

Update the rom if you are having a weird startup. Just thought I would share my Johnny project from this morning.

20140315_072846.jpg20140315_072846.jpg
#556 10 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

Update the rom if you are having a weird startup. Just thought I would share my Johnny project from this morning.

20140315_072846.jpg 303 KB

Well, it's v1.2, and I'm not sure if it's weird or not, to be honest. I'm hoping to see someone else's to compare.

Nice work- rebuilding the glove is my project tomorrow.

#557 10 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

You noise issues are most likely your x & y nuts. You can get to them with the hand in the machine, but it's much easier to just take the whole thing out and work on it.

Welcome to the club!

I've ordered the nuts (along with a selection of other bits and pieces), should be arriving in time for next weekend I hope.

About removing the entire hand setup, its not really described in the manual, how difficult is it, as in, how much do I actually have to remove to get it out? (Have anyone done a pic-by-pic on this?)

And thanks, I think i'm going to enjoy it here

#558 10 years ago

Super easy to remove from the machine. Remove 6 nuts under the play field, undo the harness and it's out.

Johnny mnemonic start up:

#559 10 years ago
Quoted from flyvehest:

I've ordered the nuts (along with a selection of other bits and pieces), should be arriving in time for next weekend I hope.
About removing the entire hand setup, its not really described in the manual, how difficult is it, as in, how much do I actually have to remove to get it out? (Have anyone done a pic-by-pic on this?)
And thanks, I think i'm going to enjoy it here

I just removed my hand assembly today, and I can confirm that removing the whole back board is quite easy. I'm actually going to be documenting the whole process of removing, rebuilding, and reinstalling the entire hand assembly on my blog, if it's helpful for anyone. I'm waiting for some parts, but I'm pretty close to finished. Reconditioned and rebuilt both gear boxes this evening. It's a fun machine to work on!

#560 10 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

Super easy to remove from the machine. Remove 6 nuts under the play field, undo the harness and it's out.
Johnny Mnemonic start up: » YouTube video

Awesome- thanks for sharing the video. Looks just like mine, so I guess my theory about the startup delay hack is wrong. Good! One less thing to fix on poor Johnny.

The JM club is awesome.

#561 10 years ago
Quoted from blondie7575:

I just removed my hand assembly today, and I can confirm that removing the whole back board is quite easy. I'm actually going to be documenting the whole process of removing, rebuilding, and reinstalling the entire hand assembly on my blog, if it's helpful for anyone. I'm waiting for some parts, but I'm pretty close to finished. Reconditioned and rebuilt both gear boxes this evening. It's a fun machine to work on!

I'd be interested in checking that out! Something is loose with the x/y movement on mine and I've been procrastinating on taking it apart and trying to fix it forever. It gets really old playing with the hand disabled booo on the same order rewards every time hehe.

#562 10 years ago
Quoted from Darkwing:

I'd be interested in checking that out! Something is loose with the x/y movement on mine and I've been procrastinating on taking it apart and trying to fix it forever. It gets really old playing with the hand disabled booo on the same order rewards every time hehe.

I'm writing a series of technical articles on JM. The first couple are very basic and wouldn't be of interest to pinsiders, but they'll be getting more in depth shortly. The next one will be about rebuilding the entire hand assembly. You can follow along on my blog, if you're interested:
http://quinndunki.com/blondihacks/?p=1583

#563 10 years ago
Quoted from blondie7575:

I'm writing a series of technical articles on JM. The first couple are very basic and wouldn't be of interest to pinsiders, but they'll be getting more in depth shortly. The next one will be about rebuilding the entire hand assembly. You can follow along on my blog, if you're interested:
http://quinndunki.com/blondihacks/?p=1583

Real nice site you have... enjoyed it!

#564 10 years ago
Quoted from blondie7575:

Reconditioned and rebuilt both gear boxes this evening. It's a fun machine to work on!

Rebuilt, as in changed motors and gears and everything, or what did you do?

I just planned on cleaning and greasing the gears, if I can get to them without too much hassle (not being overly mechanically inclined, I try to not bite off too much at a time )

#565 10 years ago
Quoted from flyvehest:

Rebuilt, as in changed motors and gears and everything, or what did you do?
I just planned on cleaning and greasing the gears, if I can get to them without too much hassle (not being overly mechanically inclined, I try to not bite off too much at a time )

Well, I'm going to do as much as I can with what parts you can still buy. Once the entire assembly is out, it's easy to do a lot to it. I'm finding it quite easy to work on. Basic hand tools and some patience are all that is needed to tear it apart and refurbish it.

I'm disassembling it entirely, cleaning it, oiling the bushings, repacking the grease in the gearboxes, changing the X/Y nuts (and rods if needed), and a bunch of smaller things. If I do it all right, it should run like new for years to come. That's a pretty big "if".

#566 10 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

Real nice site you have... enjoyed it!

Thanks! More Johnny coming shortly. I finished the hand assembly rebuild this evening, and it went well. I'll be writing it up this weekend.

On my inaugural game following reinstallation of the hand, Johnny welcomed me back with my first ever replay. Not very impressive to most of you, I'm sure, but I'm new at this, so I was very excited.

The speed of this game is insane. When you start hitting those combos, it seems like there's no upper bound on ball velocity. It's like watching time dilate.

#567 10 years ago

I have this restored JM with Prototype white wood playfield in the market place if anyone is interested. Feel free to make an offer.

JOHNNY MNEMONIC PROTOTYPE 033.JPGJOHNNY MNEMONIC PROTOTYPE 033.JPG

JOHNNY MNEMONIC PROTOTYPE 035.JPGJOHNNY MNEMONIC PROTOTYPE 035.JPG JOHNNY MNEMONIC PROTOTYPE 039.JPGJOHNNY MNEMONIC PROTOTYPE 039.JPG JOHNNY MNEMONIC PROTOTYPE 021.JPGJOHNNY MNEMONIC PROTOTYPE 021.JPG JOHNNY MNEMONIC PROTOTYPE 001.JPGJOHNNY MNEMONIC PROTOTYPE 001.JPG JOHNNY MNEMONIC PROTOTYPE 004.JPGJOHNNY MNEMONIC PROTOTYPE 004.JPG JOHNNY MNEMONIC PROTOTYPE 003.JPGJOHNNY MNEMONIC PROTOTYPE 003.JPG JOHNNY MNEMONIC PROTOTYPE 012.JPGJOHNNY MNEMONIC PROTOTYPE 012.JPG JOHNNY MNEMONIC PROTOTYPE 014.JPGJOHNNY MNEMONIC PROTOTYPE 014.JPG
#568 10 years ago
Quoted from blondie7575:

Thanks! More Johnny coming shortly. I finished the hand assembly rebuild this evening, and it went well. I'll be writing it up this weekend.
On my inaugural game following reinstallation of the hand, Johnny welcomed me back with my first ever replay. Not very impressive to most of you, I'm sure, but I'm new at this, so I was very excited.
The speed of this game is insane. When you start hitting those combos, it seems like there's no upper bound on ball velocity. It's like watching time dilate.

Yeah when you hit like 5 to 7 flowing shots in a row you think "I am the master pinballer of the universe"! Not true of course but I like that about this game... it just makes you feel good

"like watching time dilate" - what a cool phrase. Don't think I've heard that before. But wouldn't things slow down as time "dilates" or expands? Ok my head just exploded.

#569 10 years ago

Wow that prototype game looks great. Very clean. Makes mine look like a dirty old slug. GLWS

#570 10 years ago

Anyone have an opinion on the JM spinner? Is it prone to resting parallel to the playfield? Unbalanced in some way?

#571 10 years ago

I haven't had that issue with mine, but from what I understand it was replaced at some point in the game's life.

#572 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

Anyone have an opinion on the JM spinner? Is it prone to resting parallel to the playfield? Unbalanced in some way?

I think I remember seeing some threads on the spinner's ability to spin correctly. Try a search..

#573 10 years ago
Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

I have seen others report this. Replacing it seems to be the cure. Johnny's spinner is hard to find, but apparently it's the same as the Junkyard spinner, which is easily acquired, and replacing it is reportedly not difficult. The decals for Johnny's spinner are available from Marco, MAD, and elsewhere.

#574 10 years ago

I cheated and put the circular decal on a bit crooked - lower than it should be. It helps the spinner rest vertically. I know it'll wear out, but can always get another.

#575 10 years ago

I picked up a routed JM and it seemed I wasn't very good at it. Then I noticed this:

image.jpgimage.jpg image-100.jpgimage-100.jpg
#576 10 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

I picked up a routed JM and it seemed I wasn't very good at it. Then I noticed this:

image.jpg 156 KB

image-100.jpg 163 KB

lol typical op right? Don't adjust 'em... just take those posts completely out. Probably then wondered why the machine didn't bring in much coin

To the great ops that actually read and participate over here - ignore this comment... not referring to you.

#577 10 years ago
Quoted from Manic:

lol typical op right? Don't adjust 'em... just take those posts completely out. Probably then wondered why the machine didn't bring in much coin
To the great ops that actually read and participate over here - ignore this comment... not referring to you.

I don't think it was ever installed from the factory. Might have been an oversight because these guys are pretty decent. The SM I got from them had the outlanes completely closed.

#578 10 years ago

That post is missing on almost all of the JM's I've ever seen. I believe it was shipped uninstalled due to pretty liberal kickback in the game.

#579 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

That post is missing on almost all of the JM's I've ever seen. I believe it was shipped uninstalled due to pretty liberal kickback in the game.

That would explain things.

#580 10 years ago

I am a William Gibson fan (loved Neuromancer and Count Zero), and am one of those who actually enjoyed the movie. I'd like to play this machine, but have not seen a routed one in the Minneapolis/Saint Paul area. Does anyone know if there is a public JM anywhere in the Twin Cities (or even western Wisconsin) area? I'd love to check one of these out. Thanks!

#581 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinder:

I am a William Gibson fan (loved Neuromancer and Count Zero), and am one of those who actually enjoyed the movie. I'd like to play this machine, but have not seen a routed one in the Minneapolis/Saint Paul area. Does anyone know if there is a public JM anywhere in the Twin Cities (or even western Wisconsin) area? I'd love to check one of these out. Thanks!

I am central WI. You are welcome to play mine.

#582 10 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

What kickback? My JM doesn't have a kickback...?

#583 10 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

What kickback? My JM doesn't have a kickback...?

It's a lit ball save on left out lane. Serves as a kickback.

#584 10 years ago

Mnemonic Recovery

#585 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinder:

You're not alone! I'm a Gibson superfangirl to the bone, and thought the movie was decent. When I was thinking about getting my first pin, and heard JM existed, I knew immediately it was the one for me.

As for playing one on location, you may have better luck than me, but playing JM on location didn't help my decision to buy at all. I found two around here, and both were hopelessly trashed, including non-functional hands. A broken hand saps most of the fun out of the game and gives a completely wrong impression of it. The hand is high enough maintenance that routed machines rarely have a working one, it seems.

#586 10 years ago

As promised, here's my little writeup on rebuilding the hand assembly. It's really not very difficult.

http://quinndunki.com/blondihacks/?p=1615

#587 10 years ago

blondie7575 nice writeup thanks for sharing

#588 10 years ago

Thanks for the offer, Rusty, but I feel odd dropping in at players' homes. I was wondering if a routed one was in the area. I haven't yet purchased a home machine, but it looks like I may have to consider this one as an option.

#589 10 years ago
Quoted from Pinder:

Thanks for the offer, Rusty, but I feel odd dropping in at players' homes. I was wondering if a routed one was in the area. I haven't yet purchased a home machine, but it looks like I may have to consider this one as an option.

Ok then, stop in and wave a huge pile of cash and take mine home with you. . I enjoy letting people play these games. That's what they are for.

#590 10 years ago
Quoted from blondie7575:

As promised, here's my little writeup on rebuilding the hand assembly. It's really not very difficult.
http://quinndunki.com/blondihacks/?p=1615

Thanks for doing the write-up. I know a lot of people will find it useful in the future and it's something several of us talked about doing, but of course were too lazy. I also learned the hard way on overtightening the lever nuts on the matrix. Ha.

#591 10 years ago

I read this review of the movie - quite interesting how it wan't supposed to be serious film - hence some of the acting.
http://www.switched.com/2011/02/11/overdue-reviews-johnny-mnemonic/
I have to say this is one of my favorite games still - just never get tired of it. Can't say the same for the film.....

#592 10 years ago
Quoted from dendoc:

I read this review of the movie - quite interesting how it wan't supposed to be serious film - hence some of the acting.
http://www.switched.com/2011/02/11/overdue-reviews-johnny-mnemonic/
I have to say this is one of my favorite games still - just never get tired of it. Can't say the same for the film.....

Very interesting article on Johnny. I'd heard about the editing and directing mash-up before, but there's some other good stuff in there. In an odd way, the creators of the pinball machine also edited the movie to their liking... unless they were told very specifically not to include Dolph Lundgren's Jesus character (which is absent entirely from the pin) - an even more intriguing possibility. I've always thought they did an amazing job on the pin--almost made a terrible movie palatable. A for effort.

#593 10 years ago
Quoted from canea:

Very interesting article on Johnny. I'd heard about the editing and directing mash-up before, but there's some other good stuff in there. In an odd way, the creators of the pinball machine also edited the movie to their liking... unless they were told very specifically not to include Dolph Lundgren's Jesus character (which is absent entirely from the pin) - an even more intriguing possibility. I've always thought they did an amazing job on the pin--almost made a terrible movie palatable. A for effort.

I think there's something about being a Gibson fan that allows a person to tolerate the movie's lesser qualities. It's quite a departure from the short story of the same name. It's more of a synthesis of a bunch of his short stories, and even some stuff from the Sprawl trilogy. It's as though he knew this might be his only shot at a big budget screenplay. Seeing all that stuff visualized on film counts for a lot for someone who's spent so many years with only mental pictures of it all. Things like the monofilament thumbnail weapon come across as sort of silly at best (and nonsensical at worst) in the film. However, in his books this is part of a whole cloud of technology surrounding monofilaments, and the weapon seems far more interesting and logical in that greater context. It's part of his signature style- posit a technology that is plausible in the near future, then explore all the ramifications of it in daily life. How would this technology be implemented in architecture, communication, navigation, transportation, and of course weapons. Perhaps most importantly, what contrasts will exist between how the privileged use this technology, compared to how the underprivileged experience it? Without all that though, maybe it just looks like a dude with a red-streaking whip-like weapon that makes no sense.

I think it also helps if you like Ice-T, which I happen to.

#594 10 years ago
Quoted from blondie7575:

Very very nice writeup, I am getting the last parts I need tomorrow, and then i'll hopefully be able to disassemble, but more importantly, reassemble the hand harness.

Thanks for taking the time to do this.

#595 10 years ago

I have a gameplay question that maybe someone can answer-

According to the manual, when the ball is in the jet bumpers, you can use the flipper buttons to control which jet lane is selected (similar to the Skill Shot). If, during the bumper action, the ball rolls up into the selected jet lane, that jet lane is locked. When all three are locked, the Bonus Multiplier goes up.

That all makes sense. However, I cannot for the life of me tell which lane is "selected". It's fairly obvious on the skill shot, because the selected one is flashing. During jet bumper action, however, I can't tell. Some are solid lit and some are dark, and pushing the flippers changes which is which, but it's not at all obvious to me which one is selected, which is locked, and which is waiting to be locked.

#596 10 years ago
Quoted from blondie7575:

I have a gameplay question that maybe someone can answer-
According to the manual, when the ball is in the jet bumpers, you can use the flipper buttons to control which jet lane is selected (similar to the Skill Shot). If, during the bumper action, the ball rolls up into the selected jet lane, that jet lane is locked. When all three are locked, the Bonus Multiplier goes up.
That all makes sense. However, I cannot for the life of me tell which lane is "selected". It's fairly obvious on the skill shot, because the selected one is flashing. During jet bumper action, however, I can't tell. Some are solid lit and some are dark, and pushing the flippers changes which is which, but it's not at all obvious to me which one is selected, which is locked, and which is waiting to be locked.

On the skillshot you want to hit the "lit" bumper lane. During jet bumper action you want the ball to trigger the "unlit" lanes which is controlled by the flipper buttons. Once you've lit all 3 bumper lanes your bonus multiplier goes up and all 3 lanes become unlit again which frees them up to be lit again for the next bonus multiplier value.

#597 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

On the skillshot you want to hit the "lit" bumper lane. During jet bumper action you want the ball to trigger the "unlit" lanes which is controlled by the flipper buttons. Once you've lit all 3 bumper lanes your bonus multiplier goes up and all 3 lanes become unlit again which frees them up to be lit again for the next bonus multiplier value.

So during the bumpers, the flipper buttons control which lanes are unlit, right? The relationship there is a bit confusing to me. Do the flipper buttons slide the "lights" left and right? So if two are lit, you're effectively moving the unlit one. Or if one is lit, you're sliding both unlit ones back and forth?

#598 10 years ago
Quoted from blondie7575:

So during the bumpers, the flipper buttons control which lanes are unlit, right? The relationship there is a bit confusing to me. Do the flipper buttons slide the "lights" left and right? So if two are lit, you're effectively moving the unlit one. Or if one is lit, you're sliding both unlit ones back and forth?

Yes. The right flipper button moves the current sequence of lights to the right and the left flipper moves it left. You can effectively light all 3 lanes using the same lane by rotating the lights at the correct time. Typically I'll leave the middle lane unlit while the ball is in the pop bumpers because there is better chance that the ball will bounce up in the middle lane vs. the left or right.

#599 10 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Yes. The right flipper button moves the current sequence of lights to the right and the left flipper moves it left. You can effectively light all 3 lanes using the same lane by rotating the lights at the correct time. Typically I'll leave the middle lane unlit while the ball is in the pop bumpers because there is better chance that the ball will bounce up in the middle lane vs. the left or right.

Got it. Thanks for the clarification! My scores have kinda plateaued, so I'm looking to leverage multipliers more than I have been. This should help.

#600 10 years ago
Quoted from blondie7575:

Got it. Thanks for the clarification! My scores have kinda plateaued, so I'm looking to leverage multipliers more than I have been. This should help.

No problem. Btw, As of Monday I'm a new member of the JM club! I bought my game from a local pinball friend and really happy with the game so far. The hand was giving me some issues when I first got it but it came with a spare X-nut which I installed and the hand is working smooth/quiet now. I set the game up at 7.5 degree pitch and waxed it and the speed of this game will give any game a run for its money! I put on probably 60 plays this week and made Power Down mode for the first time last night. I've made it to most wizard modes on WPC titles and I really think this is one of the best.-especially playing in a dark gameroom where you can really notice the lighting effects.

Before buying the game I had put on less than 30 plays on JM and was always put off a bit by the hand slowing down the game and I didn't like the video mode. After owning it and understanding the rules though and the strategy behind the matrix I actually don't really mind either one now. It remains to be seen if the Super loops score exploit will sour my impression on the rule-set but as of now the game plays so fast and ball times are so short that it's really pretty difficult to get "super loops" and "hold bonus" even setup to be able to exploit it for huge points.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods
Boards
$ 22.50
Boards
PinSound
Boards
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom
Eproms
Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist
Protection
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Boards
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
3,800 (Firm)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore
Toys/Add-ons
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound
Other
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals
Decals
$ 29.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Eproms
$ 39.00
Cabinet - Other
Arcade Upkeep
Other
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
Led
$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.
Sound/Speakers
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits
Electronics
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound
Sound/Speakers
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 37.50
Boards
Pinball Haus
Boards
Machine - For Sale
Anderson, SC
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley
Pinball Machine
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 4,433 posts in this topic. You are on page 12 of 89.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-mnemonic-is-there-an-owners-club-yet/page/12 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.