Topic Stats

• 41 posts
  • 12 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by bax
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 9 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

image.jpg
20150814_132624.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg
Screen_Shot_2015-08-13_at_3.31.07_PM.png
Screen_Shot_2015-08-13_at_3.29.45_PM.png
Screen_Shot_2015-08-13_at_3.29.36_PM.png
image_1.jpg
image.jpg

#1 4 years ago

Finally getting around to seriously attempting to get my jm working.
My current issue is the glove seems to attempt to work. It moves a little to the right and seems to move forward and back. In test mode it registers as. "Failed".
I replaced x and y nuts. Also replaced the glove switch.

The new issue is when the start button is pressed a game wl not start.

I mdi get this report when is first start the game.

image.jpg

I checked the fuses and the 116 is blown. The others are testing well.

Lastly there seems to be a ground wire that is loose. Anyone know where this should be attached?
image.jpg

Thanks for taking a look. Any thoughts would b appreciated.

#2 4 years ago
Quoted from bax:

Lastly there seems to be a ground wire that is loose. Anyone know where this should be attached?

that should be grounded to the display bolt right above it in the picture, at least all my WPC machines are setup like that. I don't know if this will resolve your issues though.

#3 4 years ago

So did you replace the blown fuse? That's for the switch matrix, and the error message you're getting is because the game recognizes that there's something wrong with the switch matrix.

#4 4 years ago

Lol Mot. Here we go again.

Bax, I believe that other green wire needs to be attached to the other speaker. I'll put a picture of mine up when I get home.

There is a few guides I can link to as I just solved this issue. Replace 116 and see if it blows again. If it does, that points to a bad chip if I temember right

#5 4 years ago

The hand issue sounds like it's due to you moving the hand past the limit switch on the X axis, make sure that it's not already closing the switch when you boot. Could also be something wrong with the optos, take a look at the limit switches and optos in switch test mode.

#6 4 years ago

Fix the fuse issue and it might fix the hand issue. did for mine.

#7 4 years ago

http://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Check_fuses_F114_and_F115_message
That's a good place to start. Make sure all board LEDs are on and test points have the proper voltage that's labeled on the board.

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from Law:

The hand issue sounds like it's due to you moving the hand past the limit switch on the X axis, make sure that it's not already closing the switch when you boot. Could also be something wrong with the optos, take a look at the limit switches and optos in switch test mode.

Law mentioned some detail which relates back to an issue I was having with my JM. The Y opto - if the hand is not working correctly it will cause the fuse to blow and or not allow you to plunge the ball with the start button. Question-- Does the glove tend to move back and forth continuously after start up? If yes, then go into your test menu (switch test) and look for the 'Hand Test." When the "Hand Test" shows on your DMD, close the coin door, let the test run and see if it passes or fails. If it fails then you need to pull the playfield out and move the motors manually to see if the X or Y opto is registering properly.

While in "Hand Test" mode - Turn the motor (Circled in red below) and see if it open's and closes. There are two motors you will have to test, (shown in the pics below). On the DMD Screen, both boxes should show an "X" one after the other and then both disappear while rotating. Do this test for the X opto and for the Y Opto. In my case the Y opto was not opening and closing correctly. I took out the opto board, ordered one on Marco Specialties and reinstalled. Ran the test again and it failed. I then took the 6 wire plug (picture blow) and ordered a new one from Marco, guessing it was old and needed to be replaced. Reset the wires in the new connector, ran the test and I was golden. Fuses did not blow, hand test successfully passed on start-up, and the plunger worked.

Here's the link to purchase the Opto board and six pin connector from Marco that connects to the opto board.

Opto - http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/A-20533.1-1
6-pin - https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=6r+mt%2Fend+22%2F.100
Punch Tool to connect wires to the 6-pin - https://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=Punch+Tool+-+IDC+T+Handle+for+.100+

Hope this helps... -Art

Screen_Shot_2015-08-13_at_3.29.36_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2015-08-13_at_3.29.45_PM.png

Screen_Shot_2015-08-13_at_3.31.07_PM.png

#9 4 years ago

If the switch matrix fuses are blown and the switch matrix isn't working, hand tests aren't going to work. I'm not even sure the dedicated switches to get to the test modes would work...

#10 4 years ago

Look at your power driver board. Are all your LED's lit? You're probably missing 12v.

#11 4 years ago

Thanks guys. I am on my way home now and I will start with all your suggestions. I had not yet replaced the fuse. I was planning to wait till I had time to dive in completely.

I will start posting as I have new info or questions.

Thanks a lot

#12 4 years ago

image.jpg

#13 4 years ago

Ok. Here is what is happening.

I positioned the ground correctly and replaced the fuse. When the game starts it starts normally. No more report about fuses etc. I can start the game. Everything seems to be working well EXCEPT...

The Glove. I am able to load the ball and when that happens the glove will now move from left to right. However it takes off before the ball is ejected into the glove. The glove will also stay to the right. It will not return to the left till I run glove test.

PLAYBOYWILLIS. Thank you for the link. I have yet to read it, but I am clicking on it next.

#14 4 years ago

Also. I am able to start a new game while the glove is "stuck" to the right and the drop target that is in front of where you load the ball for the glove will just remain up so I am unable to lock the ball.
I am assuming that is because the glove is out of position?

#15 4 years ago

Check the switch sensor inside the glove, may be stuck on and that is why hand took off. You may have t take the glove apart but it is real easy.

GL

#16 4 years ago

That link I sent was purely for the fuse error. If that's gone, don't worry about it.

Good luck man

#17 4 years ago

Some guys suggested to me that the switch might be related to the Opto board under the play field. The one that has the led on it

#18 4 years ago

I will check the switch sensor. I am not positive where that is. But I had the glove taken off today to replace the glove switch. I am sure I can locate it.
I will also check the under play field opto board.
This is the closest this game has been to working since I got in over a year ago. Good start. This glove issue is a tough one.
Thanks

#19 4 years ago

You can also see that hand behavior if one of the two x axis optos are out or the interrupter is broken. The hand won't start moving in its own just because the ball in hand switch is closed. Turn the rod by hand in switch test and make sure both optos trigger independently.

#20 4 years ago

It sounds like an opto issue as I mentioned above. If the hand is moving all the way to the right it is the X opto (2nd picture) and sounds as if it's not registering 'back home,' the reason for it moving to the right and staying put. Run the hand switch test as 'Law' mentioned moving the rod or the metal blade like unit I circled in photo 2. You will see it going in between two black like pillar walls (opto). you will know if it's working correctly If the 'X' shows in both squares and then both off as you turn it. If not then check the 6 pin connector attached to the mini board to be sure the wires are connected properly. If they are you may want to look into purchasing a replacement board from Marco. While your at it I would buy another 6 pin connector just in case. The cost is worth the time you have invested if this is the problem

#21 4 years ago

I went into test mode.

1st: Switch Test. I turned the x bar and the switched read independently or in sequence. I did the same for the Y with the same result.

2nd: I put it into hand test. I rotated the bars and again the boxes filled and opened as I turned the bars.

This would seem to indicate that the opts are working?

The last thing I did in Hand Test is run the home test. When I do this the hand runs a few inches to the right and stops. I am assuming it is registering that location as home? Then I run self test and it moves back to the left and stops. When I run self test from that position it moves slightly to the right then back. It does not say failed or anything.

In self test is it supposed to go the entire way left to right and back?

I was also able to access a test in hand test that allows me to move the glove with the flippers. I can move the glove to the right w the right flipper but the glove will not move left with the left flipper. Both blue flippers move the glove forward and backward on the y well.

#22 4 years ago

OK. Seems as though every time I run through the hand test the hand acts a little different.

So I was thinking perhaps when I put the new glove switch in, one of my solder connections might have been poor.

I disconnected one of the wires from the switch. Before I could reconnect the wire my sin asked me to watch him finish a game in demo man.

I came back put the machine in test mode and it ran well without the wire connected. Played a couple games and the glove worked as it was supposed to.

So I guess my question now is should I reconnect that wire?

image.jpg

#23 4 years ago

Isnt that wire supposed to go by the other wire on the switch?

#24 4 years ago

Did u change wire color ?

#25 4 years ago

20150814_132624.jpg

#26 4 years ago

U have something odd going on u dont need the ball in hand switch for it to work but u cant have that wire where it was lol

#27 4 years ago

When I bought the game the glove was not working.

One if the first issues I saw when I was disassembling the glove etc to replace the x and y nuts was the glove switch had a poll that had broken off.

image.jpg
I bought a new switch and re connected the wires where they were connected previously (to the switch)

In my pic I'm just showing the wire not connected. And game working.

Perhaps my initial solder was weak and causing the flaky behavior?

#28 4 years ago

You can leave that switch disconnected or remove it completely. Only downside is that you get error message when you turn game on. It was used on earlier software to lower the power of magnet when ball is in glove, but that is handled by software in newer versions.

#29 4 years ago
Quoted from bax:

When I bought the game the glove was not working.
One if the first issues I saw when I was disassembling the glove etc to replace the x and y nuts was the glove switch had a poll that had broken off.
image.jpg
I bought a new switch and re connected the wires where they were connected previously (to the switch)
In my pic I'm just showing the wire not connected. And game working.
Perhaps my initial solder was weak and causing the flaky behavior?

O ok in the pic it looks connected to the magnet bracket lol sorry.id just leave bit disconnected if it works without it

#30 4 years ago

Bigd1979. I appreciate the post. No worries. U never know where I might solder something. LOL

I will see what comes up for error messages when I get back to the house.

Seems odd the switch would cause the issues.

#31 4 years ago

The ball in hand switch will not affect hand movement, you don't need it as others have said. You have an opto switch problem not ball in hand switch. Given that it seems intermittent you probably have an dodgy connection somewhere you need to now find. Go over the wiring for it and maybe reflow the solder on the boards. Cold solder problems seem common with the boards there as they get a lot of vibration

#33 4 years ago
Quoted from Iizi:

You can leave that switch disconnected or remove it completely. Only downside is that you get error message when you turn game on. It was used on earlier software to lower the power of magnet when ball is in glove, but that is handled by software in newer versions.

If you don't have the latest ROMs you do need to worry about it- not a ton, but you could still fry things in the glove without it. With a new machine you can't assume the owner or operator updated them.

#34 4 years ago

I got the machine from a bar that had it left behind by an operator who went out if business. Do I really do not know if it was ever updated?

#35 4 years ago
Quoted from bax:

I got the machine from a bar that had it left behind by an operator who went out if business. Do I really do not know if it was ever updated?

Look at the ROMs in the backbox. They should pretty clearly say 1.1 or 1.2 or whatever.

Have you ever gotten touch-tone multiball? If so, you're running the old ROMs.

#36 4 years ago

So I don't really know. Not do. Sorry

#37 4 years ago

I only played a couple quick games. Was just looking to see if glove was locking balls etc.

I'll look at roms when I get home in an hr.

#38 4 years ago
Quoted from Law:

Look at the ROMs in the backbox. They should pretty clearly say 1.1 or 1.2 or whatever.
Have you ever gotten touch-tone multiball? If so, you're running the old ROMs.

Really? I get tt mb ? I swear I had the newest rom ?

#39 4 years ago

Yep I have 1.2 and get touch tone mb?

#40 4 years ago
Quoted from bigd1979:

Yep I have 1.2 and get touch tone mb?

Odd- I could've sworn it was removed from the mystery awards in 1.2. Maybe it's just a really reduced chance.

#41 4 years ago

I do have 1.2

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside