12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_0320.JPG
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.
#51 8 years ago

So, the video that ALY posted, that is EXACTLY what my JM hand started doing before I got rid of it. That problem came right out of the blue; everything was working 100% perfectly, and then all of a sudden that happened. All my optos tested fine, all my switches tested fine, and I moved the hand left to right as much as I wanted and watched the hand attempt to re-calibrate multiple times. At that point, I did try a factory reset, and that didn't work.

Since we had just bought our new home, a pinball machine in pieces was the last thing I wanted, so I traded JM and my BSD for IMVE NIB, and that was that. WeirPinball was who I did that deal with, and knowing him, he has probably already fixed my old JM. I am going to ask him what the problem was, and once he fixes it and tells me, I'll post here to help you out, ALY.

I am not saying that a factory reset won't fix it; it certainly is worth a try and is by far the easiest solution. Just know that solution is not the norm and typically will yield disappointing results (the problem staying around).

#52 8 years ago

Ok after looking at the video something else is messed up. So I ran test mode in my JM. What appears to be happening is your x direction tests fine, but then the game tries and test Y but it runs X instead and fails. Can you go into solenoid test mode and have it operate Solenoid 24 the Y motor enable and tell me if the drive screw turns or if the X screw turns?

#53 8 years ago

fattdirk, I mentioned that if I somehow pass this test I'm able to move the glove in all directions with flipper buttons. I was also able to start a game with a working glove, put the ball in matrix, until it decided again to just stop working and failing in hand test mode.

#54 8 years ago

Believe it or not. I performed a Factory Reset and the hand works as new now!!

#55 8 years ago

Saving this thread for future reference!

#56 8 years ago

Ok, same thing again and after another Factory Reset it wasn't working. So, Factory Reset is not the solution in this case.

Checking wires behind back panel is. I found a damaged wire of the X home switch. When you fold down the playfield the wires can easily get smashed in the back so careful when you fold the playfield.
The wire was almost cut in two places. Fixed it and now playing it for more than an hour with no glove issues.

#57 8 years ago

I spoke with WeirPinball about my old JM. My old JM's hand problem was a faulty opto. Check your optos, make sure they are working. If you can, reheat the solder joints on your optos to nuke any old "cold solder" joints, and then place one drop of new solder on the joints.

Hope it works out!

1 year later
#58 6 years ago

Has anyone ever come up with a good video tutorial on the JM hand repair ? There seems to be more to it than just changing the "x" & "y" nuts in order to fine tune it.

1 year later
#59 5 years ago

I've recently managed to have JM hand problems that nobody else has mentioned so I'm adding my experience to this goldmine of info.

Fuse F111 was blowing every time the hand moved. This turned out to be a bad X motor with shorted windings inside. I replaced it with this:

sourcingmap Micro Motor DC 12V 11200RPM High Speed Motor for DIY Hobby Toy Cars Remote Control https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077T2XYJB/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_1sddCb6PDDENM

I had to transfer the gear over from the old one and it needed a bit of epoxy to keep it in place on the shaft. There may be better replacement motors out there but it worked.

Once it was all back together, the hand was unable to catch the ball and the magnet was doing nothing in the solenoid test. In my case, this was bad magnet wires, so I replaced them between the magnet and the connector.

#60 5 years ago

#61 5 years ago

Good info insx! My recently acquired JM has developed a ball grip issue that I need to address ASAP since the game isn’t as much fun without it!

#62 5 years ago

Mine is very loud when moving. It prob time to replace those nuts.

#63 5 years ago
Quoted from johnny77:

Mine is very loud when moving. It prob time to replace those nuts.

The gear boxes may also need to be cleaned and lubed with correct grease. I redid my gear boxes (nuts looked good) and man did they quiet down

#64 5 years ago
Quoted from northvibe:

The gear boxes may also need to be cleaned and lubed with correct grease. I redid my gear boxes (nuts looked good) and man did they quiet down

This, the gearboxes are what make the most noise

#65 5 years ago

Its super loud

#66 5 years ago
Quoted from johnny77:

Its super loud

Sure, you’ll just have to dig in, and see what is noisy. If the gear box never was cleaned and re-lubed it would be a big culprit

#67 5 years ago

Cant wait to do this. Lol

9 months later
#68 4 years ago

Working on a johnny now. What a pain in the ass. Did anyone make a video of the glove repair?

#69 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

Working on a johnny now. What a pain in the ass. Did anyone make a video of the glove repair?

Here's a good repair guide. It's not too hard if you take the whole thing apart and methodically put back together with the necessary new parts. There are no shortcuts. http://quinndunki.com/blondihacks/?p=1615

#70 4 years ago
Quoted from luckymoey:

Here's a good repair guide. It's not too hard if you take the whole thing apart and methodically put back together with the necessary new parts. There are no shortcuts. http://quinndunki.com/blondihacks/?p=1615

I agree. If you can take the glove out, much easier. I relubed the gear boxes and man that was work but they ran so smooth

#72 4 years ago

I remember having a hand thread but when searching there are tons, most without pics. This one was good

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/jm-johnny-mnemonic-hand-motor-noisy

#73 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballplusMN:

The glove issue is indeed a pain in the ass, I suggest you take good pics before you disassemble, also you need some dry lube (graphite or molybdenum)....you don't want grease because it will attract dirt and grime. Lastly, don't force the jackscrew, that's the corkscrew bar that it rides on. You don't want to bend that. also the assy has tendancy for the wires to break inside the insulation where you can't see the severed connection. So do a good visual.

4 years later
#74 28 days ago
Quoted from ALY:

Believe it or not. I performed a Factory Reset and the hand works as new now!!

Thank you brother! Nine years you helped me. Glove Hand data reset. I Was also having problems with the hand would move left but in switch test, it did. Wondering If you are still in the hobby.

#75 27 days ago
Quoted from Gorgar666:

Thank you brother! Nine years you helped me. Glove Hand data reset. I Was also having problems with the hand would move left but in switch test, it did. Wondering If you are still in the hobby.

Still in.

#76 27 days ago

Admirable Necro.

2 weeks later
#77 8 days ago

Question on the hand/glove magnet...is it suppose to be sticky/tacky, where the ball is being held underneath?
I'm curious if this is just a previous hack done by someone in the past..it's literally sticky where the ball is being held on the magnet, thus causing it to prevent the ball from dropping in the matrix, after the machine warms up. I've since rebuilt the X/Y screws/nuts ...

#78 6 days ago
Quoted from KING-HENRY:

Question on the hand/glove magnet...is it suppose to be sticky/tacky, where the ball is being held underneath?
I'm curious if this is just a previous hack done by someone in the past..it's literally sticky where the ball is being held on the magnet, thus causing it to prevent the ball from dropping in the matrix, after the machine warms up. I've since rebuilt the X/Y screws/nuts ...

Mine is not sticky.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 109.95
Electronics
PinSound

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 22.50
Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 10.00
Playfield - Other
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 78 posts in this topic. You are on page 2 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-mnemonic-hand-problem/page/2?hl=pinballdad1961 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.