(Topic ID: 235814)

Johnny Mnemonic: hand maintenance tips?

By Guidotorpedo

5 years ago

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clytor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#6 5 years ago

I will say my experience with the hand mech has been disheartening. I cleaned all of the old grease off and added quality grease to both gear boxes and and gear rods. I rerouted the y axis limit switch wires such that they wouldn't get frayed. I put it all back together with brand new x and y nuts from Marco. Side note- cleaned it, waxed it, put new balls in it, replaced a ton of bulb and added a set of Cliffy's. We have had it in our club for a little under 2 months and the x axis nut is already striped out and the hand is getting stuck! What you will notice when the hand mech isn't mated to the x axis gear rod, is how much weight is being held against that nut. Not only does the nut have to pull the hand mech laterally, it has a fair bit of weight sitting on it perpendicularly. I'm no mechanical engineer but it seems like there should be a roller or something that rides along that back panel to support that weight, allowing the nut just to deal with left/right stress. Anyway, ordering another x nut...

#8 5 years ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

Don’t put it on route unless it’s a place where tournament players frequent. It won’t earn. It’s too hard. We routed one in the 90s so I’m speaking from experience. It also could’ve been the possibility that it was always down because of the hand maintenance.
This is one of those questions to ask as an operator. What’s your target demographic in the location? Kids? Soccer dads? Tournament and league players?

We have all of the above. We use a flat rate membership model where everything is on freeplay.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

$ 22.50
$ 29.00
Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Morristown, NJ
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 37.50

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider clytor.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-mnemonic-hand-maintenance-tips?tu=clytor and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.