Topic Stats

• 9 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 8 days ago by yuriijos
  • Topic is favorited by 4 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

#1 40 days ago

Going to be using a Johnny mnemonic at a high traffic location. Any maintenance tips for the hand? Right now it works ok, except the ball in hand switch is flaky and I did have it get caught once when it went all the way right.

Thanks!
Mike

#2 34 days ago

I clean and regrease the threaded rods about every six months. You might want to a little more. It might be a good idea to have extra x and y nuts in the bottom of the cab in case they eat themselves. I haven't had any problems with the nuts since I got it and have kept things greasy, but they are wear parts so ymmv. I think pps has new ball in hand switches. Also with the newest code I don't think it as important to having the ball in hand switch work well. Mine was out for a long time with no issues. I replaced it just to get rid of the credit dot niggling at the back of my mind.

If it's working well don't sweat it, but a quick read of Blondi's guide might be in order if you haven't read it.

#3 34 days ago

Disable it!

#4 34 days ago

Well for the enjoyment of your patrons and to keep you from returning on multiple service calls I would spend the 2 hours needed to fully service the hand unit including: replacing the X and Y nuts, remove split and clean both gear boxes and re-grease along with rods, replace hand switch, properly secure all wiring. It will then play smoothly enhancing the player experience and increase your revenue and lower your maintenance cost...

Don

#5 34 days ago

Be VERY carefull to document the layout in order of the gears and small washers if you take apart the gearboxes to regrease them. Slowly take apart then lots pics.
Also take note with pics of wire route from the hand magnet to back behind the assembly. It may look simple but it really has to be perfect so that it doesn’t hinder movement or drag on anything when the hand is in motion.

2 weeks later
#6 17 days ago

I will say my experience with the hand mech has been disheartening. I cleaned all of the old grease off and added quality grease to both gear boxes and and gear rods. I rerouted the y axis limit switch wires such that they wouldn't get frayed. I put it all back together with brand new x and y nuts from Marco. Side note- cleaned it, waxed it, put new balls in it, replaced a ton of bulb and added a set of Cliffy's. We have had it in our club for a little under 2 months and the x axis nut is already striped out and the hand is getting stuck! What you will notice when the hand mech isn't mated to the x axis gear rod, is how much weight is being held against that nut. Not only does the nut have to pull the hand mech laterally, it has a fair bit of weight sitting on it perpendicularly. I'm no mechanical engineer but it seems like there should be a roller or something that rides along that back panel to support that weight, allowing the nut just to deal with left/right stress. Anyway, ordering another x nut...

#7 17 days ago

Don’t put it on route unless it’s a place where tournament players frequent. It won’t earn. It’s too hard. We routed one in the 90s so I’m speaking from experience. It also could’ve been the possibility that it was always down because of the hand maintenance.

This is one of those questions to ask as an operator. What’s your target demographic in the location? Kids? Soccer dads? Tournament and league players?

#8 16 days ago
Quoted from ryanbrooks:

Don’t put it on route unless it’s a place where tournament players frequent. It won’t earn. It’s too hard. We routed one in the 90s so I’m speaking from experience. It also could’ve been the possibility that it was always down because of the hand maintenance.
This is one of those questions to ask as an operator. What’s your target demographic in the location? Kids? Soccer dads? Tournament and league players?

We have all of the above. We use a flat rate membership model where everything is on freeplay.

1 week later
#9 8 days ago
Quoted from Clytor:

I will say my experience with the hand mech has been disheartening. I cleaned all of the old grease off and added quality grease to both gear boxes and and gear rods. I rerouted the y axis limit switch wires such that they wouldn't get frayed. I put it all back together with brand new x and y nuts from Marco. Side note- cleaned it, waxed it, put new balls in it, replaced a ton of bulb and added a set of Cliffy's. We have had it in our club for a little under 2 months and the x axis nut is already striped out and the hand is getting stuck! What you will notice when the hand mech isn't mated to the x axis gear rod, is how much weight is being held against that nut. Not only does the nut have to pull the hand mech laterally, it has a fair bit of weight sitting on it perpendicularly. I'm no mechanical engineer but it seems like there should be a roller or something that rides along that back panel to support that weight, allowing the nut just to deal with left/right stress. Anyway, ordering another x nut...

Yeah there is a lot of weight on that x axis nut. They should have made a better bracket to support the weight and keep the wear down but still one if the best ball locks in pinball. I’m hoping in HUO play it will not wear out to soon.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 29.00
$ 50.00
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
$ 129.00
Lighting - Led
LED OCD
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 15.00
Playfield - Protection
Pin Mods
$ 45.00
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 40.00
Lighting - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Cleveland, OH
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
$ 22.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade
$ 219.99
$ 16.00
$ 47.00
Boards
PinSound
3,200 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Vernon, CT
Cabinet - Other
Rock Custom Pinball
Wanted
Machine - Wanted
Portland, OR
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside