• Latest reply 3 years ago by northvibe
  • Topic is favorited by 8 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20140315_072610.jpg
#1 10 years ago

I can play a game and the first ball pickup and drop works fine. I get to the second ball and I'm having an issue with the magnet catching the ball and then releasing right away.

I run the self test and it fails (Test #16)

I get the two following errors upon start-up:
Hand Mechanism X - No Progress
The X direction motor drive failed to move

Hand Mechanism X Home Switch Error
The X direction home switch failed to transition

The hand does move in both the X and Y direction upon start-up to re-home itself. I was getting an error on the ball-in-hand switch (F5) but I adjusted the switch as it was catching on the metal boss. That problem has gone away.

Any pointers on where to go next?

#2 10 years ago

I've been frustrated for the past 5 months with mine, but now all is perfect. This is what I did:
New magnet - didn't need it after all.
New hand switch - works perfectly without it anyway, but gets rid of the credit dot if its there.
Try moving it manually at the back where the "tags" pass through the optos and see if they are registering correctly - if not, optos need replacing (unlikely, maybe just cleaning").
check wear of x and y nuts - easily replaced and sourced.
Check wires leading from the hand all the way back to the board - they can get worn/exposed due to movement.

My main problem was the magnet would activate, but drop the ball after a second and couldn't hold it. You could feel it buzzing, but not enough power. Ended up swapping my main board from BSD with JM, and both work fine now. Probably a capacitor or something not working properly, but get your board checked as it's probably at fault.

So much fun when it works, such a pain to play with it disabled.

#3 10 years ago

Hi Dendoc,

Which board did you change? What is the main board, the big one? Would like to try this as well.

thx

#4 10 years ago

icecream - I posted a link to your thread in the JM club just after you posted. Hope someone can help! Dendoc's advice is a good place to start.

Do you have the game manual by chance? Also a great starting place.

#5 10 years ago

I would start with the least expensive options first like replacing X and Y nuts as they wear over time and is a common problem with this pin. I take it you have been over to the JM club and scanned hand problems and solutions there also. I have yet to have a problem with mine,but would be interested to hear what your final fix was.

#6 10 years ago
Quoted from PinPeet:

Hi Dendoc,
Which board did you change? What is the main board, the big one? Would like to try this as well.
thx

Yep, replaced the big board, the power driver assembly board.

#7 10 years ago

I owned a Johnny and had a few hand problems. The x nut often strips but that should be easy to spot when the glove doesn't make the lateral trip properly. I've had some of the thin wires come loose off the mechs behind the backboard. The one time I struggled to find the problem it involved a standard switch that should close when the glove travelled towards the player. It registered when depressed by hand but not when the plate travelled over it. Became only a simple adjustment. Maybe the OP's problem.?

#8 10 years ago

The big board won't solve the problem, reseating the connectors on the big board might help. The only thing on the big board is the 20v power. Like others have said, x and y nut first and clean the mechanisms, that will solve most problems. You might also check the connectors on the relay board under the playfield, if you get cold solder joints or cracks the hand might not move enough to catch the ball and then shut itself down for the rest of that game. Biggest thing on this mechanism is that you don't want it binding at all. Those nuts wear out, replace them first.

#9 10 years ago
Quoted from donjagra:

You might also check the connectors on the relay board under the playfield, if you get cold solder joints or cracks the hand might not move enough to catch the ball and then shut itself down for the rest of that game..

^This. I just had an odd JM hand issue show up, and the problem seemed to stem from the relay board under the playfield. My issue sounds similar to yours, but not exactly the same. Flowing some solder and adjusting the connectors on the relay board seems to have solved it for now. Here is a link to my post. Hope it helps.

http://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-jm-hand-odd-behavior#post-1503209

#10 10 years ago

Ordering up the X and Y-nuts today. I'm sure they are the original ones.

#11 10 years ago

Just after making the "no problems here " comment above,I turn my machine on to find a F5 switch error at the Hand.

#12 10 years ago

I had this problem as well, mine ended up being the center drop target not working correctly. Check the coil, switch, and return spring. The glove is tied to all of that working correctly to keep the magnet working as engineered. If you knock the drop down to access the glove and the MPU doesn't register the switch closure the glove will grab the ball and allow you to start moving it to the grid, but once the MPU realizes the drop switch never fully closed it drops the ball. If this is your problem replacing the X Y nuts wont solve it. Replacing them obviously won't hurt your pin, but it is a PITA to replace them so keep them in your tool box for later if you don't need any more stress in your life.
Good luck

#13 10 years ago

The glove works fine without the switch. Just ends up with a credit dot.

#14 10 years ago

Upon shopping the machine (a recent purchase for me), I noted the drop target not working. It stays down all the time. Based upon buffalotx's post, I'm going to focus on resolving that first. I will keep the X and Y nuts for a rainy day.

#15 10 years ago

One of the continuing problems that plaque JM is the continual strain on the wire harness to the hand. As you go through the process of troubleshooting the issues. I suggest that you consider replacing that harness.

#16 10 years ago

Or this. What a mess.

20140315_072610.jpg20140315_072610.jpg
#17 10 years ago

Update: Looked into my drop target issue yesterday. Seems as though the down switch was replaced at some time and wired in incorrectly. The white lead was on the wrong side of the switch (ie it was on the lever side). Soldered in as shown in the manual and now I have a fully functioning drop target.

Only remaining issue in the test report is BIH switch F5, which I understand to be quite common.

#18 10 years ago

This tread may help
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/tech-jm-glove-problem
I think this is the thread that helped me resolve my issue with JM.
good luck

6 years later
#19 3 years ago

Hi Guys my JM just started acting up. the magnet went out so i replaced it. now it comes on soon as you start a game and sits there buzzing. does anyone know what turns it off and on? I checked the locator switch and the hand switch that tells it there's a ball in the the hand and both test good in the test mode?

#20 3 years ago
Quoted from quasiflannel:

Hi Guys my JM just started acting up. the magnet went out so i replaced it. now it comes on soon as you start a game and sits there buzzing. does anyone know what turns it off and on? I checked the locator switch and the hand switch that tells it there's a ball in the the hand and both test good in the test mode?

Sounds like the transistor is blown so the coil/magnet stays on. I’d replace the diode (if there is one) and transistor for it at the same time

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Boards
Slap Save Creations

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
$ 22.50
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-mnemonic-hand-issues and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.