Topic Stats

• 34 posts
  • 8 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 2 years ago by benman
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

There have been 7 images uploaded to this topic. (View topic image gallery).

A-20532 compo.jpg
large (resized).jpg
20170923_093613 (resized).jpg
20170923_093615 (resized).jpg
Untitled (resized).png
F5.png
20170922_094854 (resized).jpg

#1 2 years ago

I'm working on it glove issue on my Johnny Mnemonic and when I look behind the mech I see this wire can anybody tell me what it goes to I can't seem to find a plug that's close enough

20170922_094854 (resized).jpg

#2 2 years ago

Black-Violet + Orange = switch F5 = Ball in Hand

F5.png

#3 2 years ago

Ok. Thank you. I guess the switch was already removed.

#4 2 years ago

Also, the self test fails and the hand won't move. Something about the position not being known

#5 2 years ago

If x- and y-axis don't move, check for 20Volts on motor controller board under playfield.
Black and Red-White wire are supply to that board at J1 pin 10+11

#6 2 years ago

When the game initializes, the glove moves to the right (x-axis) about an inch, then immediately moves back to the left. It repeats
this action several times before deciding the hand doesn't work, and it disables it for the game. I tested the optos and they register correctly. I can manually turn the bars to move the hand and they move freely.

#7 2 years ago

in hand test does the x and y axis values change as the hand moves?

#8 2 years ago

In the little amount that it does move during the test it does register the value change

#9 2 years ago
Quoted from benman:

In the little amount that it does move during the test it does register the value change

ok.. there is a limit / home switch too for each x and y axis. Make sure that is not stuck closed / open. It should be visible during hand test and also switch test.

#10 2 years ago

Just checked those and they register correctly. The odd thing is if I move the glove manually out of position it returns home and then does it's little dance and fails.

#11 2 years ago

One odd thing I noticed in the solenoid tests and check 24 I don't hear the motor try to kick on.

#12 2 years ago

Forgive me, it's been a while since I've had an issue with the glove, but it's possible this little piece of metal popped off. Is it hooked on there with pressure on a tiny black button?

Untitled (resized).png

#13 2 years ago

I just checked and that piece of metal is still there. If I manually move the glove to close and open the switch it registers on the test correctly.

#14 2 years ago

Not sure what else to look at

#15 2 years ago

Tested all the fuses and they all check out. Attaching a few pictures of the test failures I'm seeing. Hopefully someone can help this noob

20170923_093615 (resized).jpg

20170923_093613 (resized).jpg

#16 2 years ago

The weird part of the above is that if I manually test these switches they register correctly.

#17 2 years ago

The encoder is the little board that's installed on the motors....there is a Y axis and an X axis. The X axis the left to right rod and the Y is the small hand rod that moves the glove towards the front and back. I would check the Y axis encoder to see if the optos are good, if not you can order the whole board from Marcos for 25 bucks or so. Here is the part number in case it's bad #A-20533.1-1

large (resized).jpg

Also this is good reading:
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-mnemonic-help-needed#post-2617490

#18 2 years ago

Thanks kvan. I'll read through that thread. On mine when I manually move the wheel the optos register open and closed.

#19 2 years ago

The other odd part is that sometimes I can get both motors to run at startup and the glove goes home

#20 2 years ago

Check the motor-control/ relay board under play field for bad solder joints.

A-20532 compo.jpg

#21 2 years ago

Will do zaza. Thanks for the tip. I gotta say the support from this community is awesome.

#22 2 years ago

I'm thinking it's bad solder joints at this point. Going to reflow the motor control board and see what happens

1 week later
#23 2 years ago

Pulled the motor driver board and it all looks good. didnt see any broken joints. Should i reflow the whole thing anyways?

#24 2 years ago

Did you replace the x+y nuts already?
The glove won't move correctly, or at all, if these are bad.

And was the service bulletin done?

#25 2 years ago
Quoted from benman:

Should i reflow

That won't hurt but mostly it is visible when solder is cracked.
Check the wires in connector J1, J2, J3 on the motordriver board and J126 pin 5,6,7,8 on Powerdriverboard

#26 2 years ago

My glove was acting up, not homing. Sometimes I could get it to work but it would go back to having the switch error. I had to take the gearbox apart, cleaned and re-greased it. Works fine since.

#27 2 years ago

So I ended up ordering a new driver board and will see if that fixes it. I do have new X and Y nuts to install too. I'll pull the whole mech and start a rebuild in the near future.

1 week later
#28 2 years ago

So just replaced the relay driver board and still no dice. I'm getting a Y no-progress error as well as a Y home switch error. However, when I go into test mode and test the home switch they register correctly. Any ideas?

#29 2 years ago

Looking for some input as to how I can test the continuity of the wiring harness from the encoder to the relay board with my multimeter. Not sure how to get into the IDC connectors with the probes.

#30 2 years ago

Bump for anyone that can get his JM hand working again

#31 2 years ago

Check wires on Y-motor (Red-Vio + Blu-Vio).
Manually rotate Y-axis to halfway rod.
Activate coindoor interlock switch (20V present)

Briefly (1sec.) 'Ground' J126-8 (Blu-Gry) and/or metal tab Q32 on PDB. !! Careful here because the motor won't stop when outer limit has been reached.

Does that make the Y-axis move ?

#32 2 years ago

Stupid question. How do I ground pin 8 on j126? Do I need an alligator clip or something and ground it to the main ground in the head?

#33 2 years ago

The ground braid in the backbox is easy to access with a wire or alligator clip.
With the other end of the wire briefly touch metal part in (IDC) connector J126 pin 8

#34 2 years ago

Great thanks zaza. I'll give it a shot later this week and report back. Gotta order some alligator clips

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods
3,500 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Orlando, FL
$ 47.00
Machine - For Sale
Ennis, MT
$ 22.50

Hey there! Got a moment?

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run thanks to donations from our visitors? Please donate to Pinside, support the site and get anext to your username to show for it! Donate to Pinside