You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

20150204_172357.jpg
JM pos enc psb A-20533.jpg
20150203_211109.jpg
20150203_211011.jpg
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
#1 9 years ago

Well, under a week in, and I already have the exact same identical issue that I did back in 2012.

So, I was putting LEDs in the underside of JM, and I played a game. The ball got stuck on the diverter near the hand, so I waited for the machine to find the ball. That was when I noticed that hand went over to the matrix and STAYED over the matrix; it never came back on its own until later in the game.

Then the dreaded problem began. The ball started a mode, and the glove missed the ball. You could see it pop up and down up and down up and down, but the hand looked to be off center from where it was trying to catch the ball. Then I saw the credit dot appear mid-game.

"Ball in hand F5 Error" - that looks awfully familiar (2012).

I manually tripped the switch in the magnet, and the dot went away. Figured "whew" that was close, and for a bit the hand behaved - until it started missing the ball again. And something else I've noticed, when the hand goes forward to drop the ball into the pop bumpers, it DOES NOT return back to the starting position.

Now it's a bit of a crapshoot as to what the hand is going to do. I've noticed when it self-calibrates, the hand will zig zag back and forth left to right 7 or 8 times before it seems to just quit trying, and other times it'll get right into position, but then there's an issue every game I play.

Help . I don't really know what to do to diagnose this behavior. In the relative little bit of searching I've done, I haven't seen anyone else say they have this problem.

I'll continue updating this thread accordingly as more problems/issues occur as right now the hand is all over the place with errors.

#2 9 years ago

Do the Hand Mod which eliminates the use of that switch all together. There is a link in another current JM thread tittles JM vs. DW.

#3 9 years ago

I would take apart the glove to make sure the "ball catch" switch is securely soldered and not shorting intermittently.
I believe the ball catch switch is part of the homing sequence but someone else I am sure could confirm or deny this.
If that does not work I would look into each axis switch to insure it triggers when the glove is driven to each position.

I have been lucky my glove has worked great so no exp in this just ideas after looking over the gutted schematic.

Good luck

#4 9 years ago

So the hand is failing the "home" test in the hand test mode. It is also not aligning properly to catch any ball whether it be ball locks or mode starts.

#5 9 years ago

Haha geez I didn't see it was you LMAO !!!!!!!! I am using my phone and its hard to read.

#6 9 years ago

Could be a broken solder to the switch it takes abuse.

#8 9 years ago

There may be an internal crack in one of the wires that goes to the hand (very common). The harness takes a lot of abuse and movement, and if it hasn't been rebuilt yet, it may be time to do so.

#9 9 years ago

Resoldered the connections at the switch underneath the prop glove. No improvement. Still troubleshooting

#10 9 years ago

Is the switch loose that tells the hand how far to go out over the playfield? There is like a little "sled" for lack of a better term that pushes down a small micro switch that tells the game that the hand has gone out over the playfield as far as it should. This switch goes bad and it also comes loose causing issues similar to yours.

Post edited by kporter946286: more info

#11 9 years ago

also you could try a factory restore

#12 9 years ago

On page 95 of 142 in the manual AKA 2-27 is where you can see the hand assembly and right in the middle above the drawing of the hand is the switch I am speaking of...on page 94 of 142 aka 2-26 its item 34 5647-12693-06

#13 9 years ago

Ok, so the ball in hand error is coming up only when the hand misses catching the ball. The big main errors that I think are the real problems are now coming up:

Y-No Progress
Y-Home Switch Error

These seem like they would screw with the hand trying to re-center itself. Anyone ever have these errors before?

#14 9 years ago

Yes, the "Y-Home Switch Error " is the switch I am speaking of. Look at that switch and get back to us. Watch the hand come out and see if its depressing that switch and wiggle the switch to see if its loose

#15 9 years ago

It seems like now every time I boot the game, the hand goes back and forth back and forth back and forth really quickly a good 5-8 times before it just gives up

#16 9 years ago

I think its because of the switch I am telling you about. It not activating and the Glove is confused. Did you check the switch

#17 9 years ago

Replace the wiring harness for that area. Not difficult to do and eliminates randomn problems that are hard to track down. From there you can troubleshoot much easier. John

#18 9 years ago
Quoted from kporter946286:

I think its because of the switch I am telling you about. It not activating and the Glove is confused. Did you check the switch

like he said "check the switch"!!!

#19 9 years ago
Quoted from Blake:

like he said "check the switch"!!!

I had the exact problem with same errors....

#20 9 years ago

So, I believe this is what you are referring to by the Y-Home Switch.

20150203_211011.jpg20150203_211011.jpg

The glove motor is toggling this as it should. I verified it by checking that the switch was being triggered on the DMD. 7 rows and 4 columns down (basically the bottom left switch on the screen is the Y-home switch). The switch feels solid and steady too; it isn't moving at all.

20150203_211109.jpg20150203_211109.jpg

#22 9 years ago

now manually crank those windmill blades in the back to see if the opto's are working there are 2 of them. They are the ones when you turn them the hand moves along the X and Y axis rods.

#23 9 years ago

switch 76 Y Hand Encoder B isn't lit, could be just that the blade isnt' in front of the opto but test that as switches 74,75,76,77 are the 4 Hand encoder switch opto's and 3 of the 4 are shown as lit in your photo

#24 9 years ago

I took a quick video of what is happening with my GoPro. Unfortunately, a 4 minute video will take the rest of the night to upload, so it'll be here on this thread tomorrow morning.

What the video provides is simply one case of what the glove is doing. Sometimes it lines up right and grabs the ball, sometimes it doesn't. Sometimes I can get a ball or 2 to the matrix, and then the glove says "nope, no more of that" and goes into "fail" mode. Sometimes the glove is too far back, sometimes too far forward, and sometimes it actually does catch the ball.

Behavior is all over the wall - Y-No Progress error, Y home switch error, X home switch error, X-No Progress : any of those errors in nearly any combination.

Yeesh ._.

#25 9 years ago

Kporter I just read your two most recent posts. I will try those things first thing when I get home from work tomorrow! You've been feeding me lots of suggestions and idea - thank you!

#26 9 years ago

these errors are totally normal once its goes out of whack. don't worry too much about it. Well get it fixed!!

#27 9 years ago

Here's the video I promised. This is primarily the behavior I am seeing displayed.

I have also noticed when the hand DOES catch the ball and place it in the pop bumpers, the hand does not return to the starting position. It just hangs over the pops.

#28 9 years ago

So, there are 4 optos that help control the hand on the X and Y axis. On the switch matrix near the very end of the manual, are these switches 74 through 77? I plan on checking the driver motor PCB as well as the PCBs for the X and Y axis on the glove for broken solder joints.

Off to work now. I'll be back later tonight to continue discussing this!

#29 9 years ago

Interested to see where this goes. I have a similar problem

#30 9 years ago

Yes those four optos are all in the back behind the glove. I would check the one that I suggested first as it isn't lit. Basically there are 6 switches altogether 4 optos and 2 real switch. My machine is currently doing similar stuff but I am waiting till I have a free day to replace everything.

#31 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

I plan on checking the driver motor PCB as well as the PCBs for the X and Y axis on the glove for broken solder joints.

I've had the same problem, re-soldering the pins on the pcb was the cure for me.

#32 9 years ago

Just now I'm working on a hand/motor mechanism of a Johnny Mnemonic but don't have the machine in the neighborhood. (think it's approx. 60 miles away from here). So before returning this mechanism to the the machine, I wanted to be sure the 2 "position encoder boards" are working fine and made this simple but very effective circuit:

JM pos enc psb A-20533.jpgJM pos enc psb A-20533.jpg

LED OFF when opto-beam is blocked / LED ON when opto is open
take your advantage of it.

#33 9 years ago
Quoted from BR80:

I've had the same problem, re-soldering the pins on the pcb was the cure for me.

Which PCB? The X/Y PCBs or the board underneath the PF?

I am taking out the dual relay motor driver board first and re-soldering all the pins.

I just got done playing nearly a full game with zero errors, but at the start of ball 3, the glove went nuts again. Such a shame, it played great to the point I was able to get all 3 balls in the cybermatrix. It's like the game was good cold, but once it warmed up things went nuts. Hopefully, that is pointing to cold solder joints.

KPorter, I was able to twist the x-axis by hand and got both optos to activate. For the y-axis, I couldn't make the gear shaft turn by hand, it looks like that is driven by the motor...? To test those, I unplugged the wiring harness from the PCB and plugged it back in, and I heard 2 beeps in sequence and saw both the optos light up on the DMD display of the switch matrix. So I am strongly assuming all 4 optos are good.

#35 9 years ago

This may be a premature victory, but I think I got it.

It came down to this right here (so far):

Quoted from BR80:

I took my dual motor driver board out and re-heated every solder joint, then placed a small drop of flux on each joint, and then applied a new drop of solder on each joint. Re-installed the board, and the glove caught the ball 9 out of 10 times. The 10th time the ball just barely missed the magnet I guess, and the ball fell out. The game showed a credit dot, but by the time I got to diagnostics to view the error, it was gone (note that the hand re-calibrated itself after the game ended by itself).

I think the main mechanism (read-nut and y-nut) will need to be replaced in the near future, and I have some Rock N Roll Super Web Grease on the way that Blondie7575 suggested when he rebuilt his hand mechanism. I will be repacking the motors with new grease, replacing the X and Y nut, and applying the RnR Grease on both the X and Y threaded shafts when it comes time to rebuild the whole assembly like he did.

I'll keep everyone updated as to if this fix is temporary or permanent.

#36 9 years ago

Great - but I thought you were looking for a JM that was working 100%

#37 9 years ago

PinRob let convince him to do the Relay mod and get rid of that stupid Ball in hand switch!!

#38 9 years ago

Wonder who installed/built that mod kport?

#39 9 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

Great - but I thought you were looking for a JM that was working 100%

That's it. You and I are getting a drink together at the Ohio Pinball Show. That made me smile .

PinRob let convince him to do the Relay mod and get rid of that stupid Ball in hand switch!!

Is this the mod that Mudflaps did on the thread you directed me to earlier when I was being "sarcastic" ?

#40 9 years ago

Yes Sir!! NPO. BB was that you that did that????

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

That's it. You and I are getting a drink together at the Ohio Pinball Show. That made me smile .

I knew it would

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from PinRob:

I knew it would

Yep, you and me. One drink a piece, and I am buying.

In fact, one drink for everyone that helped. You make it to the Ohio show, and I'll buy you a drink. Cutoff is at this post, so anyone above this post that helped, find me at the show and we drink!

#43 9 years ago

So here's a picture of my dual driver board after I had re-soldered about half the connections. I forgot to take a final picture, so yeah, sorry about that:

20150204_172357.jpg20150204_172357.jpg

Like I said, I heated up every individual connection, then applied a small amount of solder flux, and then placed a drop of new solder on each connection to ensure each connection was solid with fresh solder.

I really, REALLY hope this helps someone else down the road. I know this error was quite daunting for me, and it was pretty much the exact same identical problem I was having back in 2012 with my 1st JM.

Thank you for everyone that helped and contributed. You guys are awesome.

#44 9 years ago

Lets just hope this was the problem....Johnny has a way of coming back to haunt you

#45 9 years ago

Lets just hope this was the problem....Johnny has a way of coming back to haunt you

You aren't kidding. This error was pretty much the exact, same identical one I had back in 2012, and I never figured that one out. so when I saw this one do it in under a week of ownership, I almost went and played in interstate traffic.

I've played about 10 games so far and have only had the glove miss the ball that one time. So far, so good.

#46 9 years ago

Hack!

j/k JM is a great game with a finicky toy. I opted to replace the old & worn switches and it worked like a champ. Good luck.

#47 9 years ago

Yes Sir!! NPO. BB was that you that did that????

Actually no. I discovered it when I was asking around about it's history and a prior owner mentioned it being on there.

#48 9 years ago

I thought the guy Pin_Erie bought it from did it, but I couldn't remember. By your comment I thought you had did it. I never had issues for the year I owned it up to when you had it, then your issues was just that switch.

#49 9 years ago

Yeah, I talked to a former owner (soldersplash perhaps? can't recall) who bought it that way. He wasn't sure either who put it on there.

Too bad the webpage doesn't really tell you how to make it.. just kinda what it is.

Stop by and play wh20. Crazy fun pin! It's up there with congo for me.

2 weeks later
#50 9 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

This may be a premature victory, but I think I got it.
It came down to this right here (so far):... and I have some Rock N Roll Super Web Grease on the way that Blondie7575 suggested when he rebuilt his hand mechanism. I will be repacking the motors with new grease, replacing the X and Y nut, and applying the RnR Grease on both the X and Y threaded shafts when it comes time to rebuild the whole assembly like he did.
I'll keep everyone updated as to if this fix is temporary or permanent.

When SHE did, actually.

Great fix, and thanks for sharing. I thought I'd seen everything that can go wrong with the hand, but that's a new one.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 22.50
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 37.50
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 8.00
Tools
Nezzy's Pinball Prints

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu
There are 55 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-mnemonic-glove-problems and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.