(Topic ID: 263888)

JOHNNY MNEMONIC - DMD no display, stuttering hand - cause?

By androspl

4 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 27 posts
  • 4 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 4 years ago by androspl
  • Topic is favorited by 1 Pinsider

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_20200323_225941 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200315_221357_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200315_224937 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200315_215151_1 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200315_215148 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200315_221355 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200312_180223 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200312_171909 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200312_165233 (resized).jpg
IMG_20200312_165238_1 (resized).jpg
#1 4 years ago

Hello Pinheads!
i just got my hands on JM - it looks like a lot of fun but unfortunately is not working well..
First things first after turning on the pin - DMD shows NOTHING. DMD is ok I have checked it in another pin. Different DMD also not showing a damn thing. Ribbon cable to dmd (the one from the driver board) exchanged and still nothing. what could be the case?
I can hear that the ERROR report wants to tell me something but as DMD wont cooperate - I don't know if it's showing DMD error OR - HAND error - which is 2nd issue - after power on - hand tries to move right but after 1-2 mm it stops and "returns" - and repeats this procedure 6-7 times and then she gives up. where to start?
I don't know if it has any connection with the above issues but start button, the one below start, and launch are not blinking - I havent checked the bulbs yet but maybe it is also causing the dmd and hand not to work properly?
thank you for all the help

#2 4 years ago

Probably not the buttons or the hand causing the DMD to not come up. Check fuses for the display. And other fuses. Then check voltages to the display with a DMM.

Probably needs power board work.
Caps etc replaced. In the display voltage section

Once you get that working. The nuts that are on the worm gear hand shafts probably need replacing. As they are often worn out. Causing the hand to just slip. Also check the hands limit switches.

There is also a service bulletin on ipdb. Make sure that's done for the hand magnet.

Good luck

#3 4 years ago
Quoted from androspl:

Hello Pinheads!
i just got my hands on JM - it looks like a lot of fun but unfortunately is not working well..
First things first after turning on the pin - DMD shows NOTHING. DMD is ok I have checked it in another pin. Different DMD also not showing a damn thing. Ribbon cable to dmd (the one from the driver board) exchanged and still nothing. what could be the case?
I can hear that the ERROR report wants to tell me something but as DMD wont cooperate - I don't know if it's showing DMD error OR - HAND error - which is 2nd issue - after power on - hand tries to move right but after 1-2 mm it stops and "returns" - and repeats this procedure 6-7 times and then she gives up. where to start?
I don't know if it has any connection with the above issues but start button, the one below start, and launch are not blinking - I havent checked the bulbs yet but maybe it is also causing the dmd and hand not to work properly?
thank you for all the help

For the DMD, the high voltage is probably shot. You can send it out and have it repaired, or just buy a $53 replacement board from pinball life here:
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-dmd-high-power-replacement-board.html

For the hand, if you clean the screw drive it will probably fix your hand. They get "lubricated" by operators, which gunks them up until they stop working. Every one I ever got just needed a good cleaning and worked great after that. If cleaning doesn't do the trick, then yeah, the nuts are probably worn, but I've never personally seen that.

#4 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

For the DMD, the high voltage is probably shot. You can send it out and have it repaired, or just buy a $53 replacement board from pinball life here:
https://www.pinballlife.com/williamsbally-dmd-high-power-replacement-board.html
For the hand, if you clean the screw drive it will probably fix your hand. They get "lubricated" by operators, which gunks them up until they stop working. Every one I ever got just needed a good cleaning and worked great after that. If cleaning doesn't do the trick, then yeah, the nuts are probably worn, but I've never personally seen that.

thanks, how can i check if this solves the problem? (if you have the time and patience to explain it to a noob i have the dmm of course but I lack education in electronic department BUT i have dissasebled 3 pins before, repaired POA in Indy, Battlefield in Shadow etc.. I'm a fast learner just need to have "instructions for dummies" can I check the HV on the board with DMM? maybe one of transistors or capacitors is dead?

#5 4 years ago

https://www.pinwiki.com/wiki/index.php?title=Williams_WPC#Testing_DMD_Controller_Power

I'm going to bet (without ANY evidence) your +62V is bad.

#6 4 years ago
Quoted from androspl:

thanks, how can i check if this solves the problem? (if you have the time and patience to explain it to a noob i have the dmm of course but I lack education in electronic department BUT i have dissasebled 3 pins before, repaired POA in Indy, Battlefield in Shadow etc.. I'm a fast learner just need to have "instructions for dummies" can I check the HV on the board with DMM? maybe one of transistors or capacitors is dead?

You can replace the caps, but they're probably not the main issue. You need a kit to repair the whole section. You can get that with filter caps for $10 from GPE here:

https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=WPC-HVP-KIT

But I think he's OOS right now. Looking at that page will give you an idea of what's involved if you want to try to get the parts local to you.

#7 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

You can replace the caps, but they're probably not the main issue. You need a kit to repair the whole section. You can get that with filter caps for $10 from GPE here:
https://www.greatplainselectronics.com/proddetail.asp?prod=WPC-HVP-KIT
But I think he's OOS right now. Looking at that page will give you an idea of what's involved if you want to try to get the parts local to you.

well too much soldering I think, if there is no option to locate the faulty cap/tansistor I wont be exchanging all of them.. I will check the HV as per the instruction given above and I will order the replacement... but I cannot find it in Europe @ a reasonable price

#8 4 years ago
Quoted from androspl:

well too much soldering I think, if there is no option to locate the faulty cap/tansistor I wont be exchanging all of them.. I will check the HV as per the instruction given above and I will order the replacement... but I cannot find it in Europe @ a reasonable price

Yeah, you can't just replace one or two parts, you have to do the whole HV section. If you don't it may work for a little while, but the new parts will stress the parts you didn't replace and kill the board again.

What's your VAT/duties on a $53USD board?

#9 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yeah, you can't just replace one or two parts, you have to do the whole HV section. If you don't it may work for a little while, but the new parts will stress the parts you didn't replace and kill the board again.
What's your VAT/duties on a $53USD board?

VAT is 23%, customs should not be added due to low amount but transport to my country will increase the price much I think.

#10 4 years ago

ok so what about the bulbs? fuse or sth else?

I enclose some pictures of the dmd hv board - any suspicious looking elements?
Also pic of my dmd - can you tell me how I should set it to test dmd power? Sorry noob question.

Here's the situation on hand how it looks after turning on the pin

And a pic of a loose plug near the coin door - it should be like this?

IMG_20200312_165238_1 (resized).jpgIMG_20200312_165238_1 (resized).jpgIMG_20200312_165233 (resized).jpgIMG_20200312_165233 (resized).jpgIMG_20200312_180223 (resized).jpgIMG_20200312_180223 (resized).jpgIMG_20200312_171909 (resized).jpgIMG_20200312_171909 (resized).jpg
#11 4 years ago
Quoted from androspl:

VAT is 23%, customs should not be added due to low amount but transport to my country will increase the price much I think.

Shipping is probably arount $25-$30 to poland. The replacement board is small.

#12 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Shipping is probably arount $25-$30 to poland. The replacement board is small.

But pinballlife doesn't have my country for shipping I cannot find this board anywhere for similar money

#13 4 years ago
Quoted from androspl:

But pinballlife doesn't have my country for shipping I cannot find this board anywhere for similar money

If you want to have them ship it to me and pay for the shipping to you with paypal, I'll repackage it and forward it to you. PM me if you want to do that. Essentially your two options are to rebuild the HV section or replace the board with a drop in.

#14 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

If you want to have them ship it to me and pay for the shipping to you with paypal, I'll repackage it and forward it to you. PM me if you want to do that. Essentially your two options are to rebuild the HV section or replace the board with a drop in.

Well that is an option if you would be so kind. but I found it in Europe:
http://www.pindorabox.com/zaza-dmd-power-supply-board.html
WPC89/WPC95 option would be ok for Johnny?

#15 4 years ago
Quoted from androspl:

Well that is an option if you would be so kind. but I found it in Europe:
http://www.pindorabox.com/zaza-dmd-power-supply-board.html
WPC89/WPC95 option would be ok for Johnny?

That's a totally different board, but the price is right and it's close to you, so hard to argue.

Johnny Mnemonic is WPC-S if I remember right, so it *should* work, but I would definitely ask them first.

#16 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That's a totally different board, but the price is right and it's close to you, so hard to argue.
Johnny Mnemonic is WPC-S if I remember right, so it *should* work, but I would definitely ask them first.

I know that JM is WPC-S.. but that is closest board I found
I asked them, i hope they are not having fun with coronavirus and they reply. if it is not ok for JM then I must order from US - how much would it cost to ship it to Poland?

#17 4 years ago
Quoted from androspl:

I know that JM is WPC-S.. but that is closest board I found
I asked them, i hope they are not having fun with coronavirus and they reply. if it is not ok for JM then I must order from US - how much would it cost to ship it to Poland?

I'm not sure until I check weight and size, but based on the way it looks, I'm thinking something like $25-30.

Given that they say it works with WPC-89 and WPC-95 and WPC-S is right in-between those two, I'm pretty sure the one you found should work, but I'm not familiar with that board at all.

#18 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I'm not sure until I check weight and size, but based on the way it looks, I'm thinking something like $25-30.
Given that they say it works with WPC-89 and WPC-95 and WPC-S is right in-between those two, I'm pretty sure the one you found should work, but I'm not familiar with that board at all.

they replied that it should work. ordered already.
hope that fixes the blank dmd then I need to take care of the hand.

thanks for now for help! of course I will be back when I install this board and have some questions regarding hand assy.

#19 4 years ago
Quoted from androspl:

they replied that it should work. ordered already.
hope that fixes the blank dmd then I need to take care of the hand.
thanks for now for help! of course I will be back when I install this board and have some questions regarding hand assy.

Glad it worked out!

#20 4 years ago

Ok so I was trying different combinations and other dmds werent working with the dmd board from JM. Only other dmd working is Vishay dmd from my another pin. It has slighly different voltages than the one from JM and is almost brand new so this one is working - so until I get the parts, I want to take care of the hand - and now as I can see errors I can think of something. So errors enclosed on pics. X axis can be rotated by hand BUT the Y axis requires at first much strength. Then it is moving lightly ( manually). But when I turn on the pin It moves back and the Y axis looks like it moved too far and is stuck. That's why it gives error? Please check the pics - should these parts be like this? Or is it a little bit bend? The Y axis can be somehow regulated to move lighter? Any suggestions?

IMG_20200315_215151_1 (resized).jpgIMG_20200315_215151_1 (resized).jpgIMG_20200315_215148 (resized).jpgIMG_20200315_215148 (resized).jpgIMG_20200315_224937 (resized).jpgIMG_20200315_224937 (resized).jpgIMG_20200315_221355 (resized).jpgIMG_20200315_221355 (resized).jpgIMG_20200315_221357_1 (resized).jpgIMG_20200315_221357_1 (resized).jpg
#21 4 years ago
Quoted from androspl:

Ok so I was trying different combinations and other dmds werent working with the dmd board from JM. Only other dmd working is Vishay dmd from my another pin. It has slighly different voltages than the one from JM and is almost brand new so this one is working - so until I get the parts, I want to take care of the hand - and now as I can see errors I can think of something. So errors enclosed on pics. X axis can be rotated by hand BUT the Y axis requires at first much strength. Then it is moving lightly ( manually). But when I turn on the pin It moves back and the Y axis looks like it moved too far and is stuck. That's why it gives error? Please check the pics - should these parts be like this? Or is it a little bit bend? The Y axis can be somehow regulated to move lighter? Any suggestions?[quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image][quoted image]

Move it away from the home position. It looks like the switch that tells it when it's home is broken/not adjusted well. Once you have the assembly moved away from the switch go into switch test mode and see if the home position switch works by triggering it manually.

#22 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Move it away from the home position. It looks like the switch that tells it when it's home is broken/not adjusted well. Once you have the assembly moved away from the switch go into switch test mode and see if the home position switch works by triggering it manually.

I will check it.. and end up probably with taking out whole assembly for cleaning
thnx

#23 4 years ago
Quoted from androspl:

I will check it.. and end up probably with taking out whole assembly for cleaning
thnx

Defininitely report what you find!

#24 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Defininitely report what you find!

well I found out that you were right! due to the weight of the magnet, whole hand has tilted a little bit downwards on the right, going up on the left - therefore the switch wasn't pressed at all. I couldn't find the screw to straighten it up so I have bended a little bit the switch and moved manually the hand. SO - hand test still is failing BUT the hand is working during the game. It is a a little bit wobbly but I will work on that. Once again big props and much thanks as I am happy as hell now it is a lightning fast game and I am already starting to love it. I wait for leds, playfield protector and dmd HV board and I will break some records

#25 4 years ago
Quoted from androspl:

well I found out that you were right! due to the weight of the magnet, whole hand has tilted a little bit downwards on the right, going up on the left - therefore the switch wasn't pressed at all. I couldn't find the screw to straighten it up so I have bended a little bit the switch and moved manually the hand. SO - hand test still is failing BUT the hand is working during the game. It is a a little bit wobbly but I will work on that. Once again big props and much thanks as I am happy as hell now it is a lightning fast game and I am already starting to love it. I wait for leds, playfield protector and dmd HV board and I will break some records

Glad you have it running!

Check out Midnight Madness mode. It's one of the best instances of MM in Dwight's games.

#26 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Check out Midnight Madness mode. It's one of the best instances of MM in Dwight's games.

I will have to cheat a little bit and change the time because If i launch pin at midnight, I PERSONALLY will have midnight madness
thanks again for help! priceless !

1 week later
#27 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Arrived. Mounted. Works like new. Thank you for help

IMG_20200323_225941 (resized).jpgIMG_20200323_225941 (resized).jpg
Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 285.99
Cabinet - Other
PinSound

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,700 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Morristown, NJ
Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 37.50
$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 22.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.00
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-mnemonic-dmd-no-display-stuttering-hand-cause and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.