Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_4139.JPG
IMG_4107.JPG
IMG_4104.PNG
IMG_4102.JPG
#1 10 years ago

Hey Guys,

I picked up a JM this weekend and I'm working to fix a list of problems with it. The first issue I want to tackle is the display. When I turn on the machine, it looks like the picture below. It's always a different pattern, but nothing better than the picture. Also, it doesn't change at all while I have the game on.

The Dot Matrix board looks like it burned at some point and looks like some parts were replaced around Q6. I'm guessing that this is where my issue is. Any suggestions on exactly what I should be looking at?

IMG_4102.JPGIMG_4102.JPGIMG_4104.PNGIMG_4104.PNG

#2 10 years ago

A few thoughts. Check ribbon cable from CPU to DMD driver board to DMD, be sure red stripe pin one each end and not off by a row.

Then measure the voltages at the big connector to the DMD, that may help where to go next.

LTG : )™

#3 10 years ago

Try reseating your game rom first. Had a similar problem on my T2. And it was the rom socket. Second check the ribbon cable like LTG said.
Then check the high voltage section of the dmd driver boards test points.
If it is the HV section and you are not confident in replacing components just buy a rottendog dmd driver board replacement.
But also check the dmd itself, in another machine if you can.

If you have, or a friend has another pin you could test/swap boards and displays it would help.
Hope you get it fixed, great machine.

#4 10 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions.

The cable looks good. I can't find the test points on the dmd driver board, but after reading this page http://techniek.flipperwinkel.nl/wpc/index3.htm, I tested the power getting to the DMD and also the power coming from the board after unplugging the dmd. Here are the readings I got:

pin / at DMD / out of board
1 / -139.1 / -143
2 / -127.1 / -119.5
3 / key / key
4 / 4.7 / 3.3
5 / 4.7 / 4
6 / 4.98 / 4.97
7 / 12.3 / 12.3
8 / 65 / 65

I'll be checking the zener connections next. Do you have any other ideas of what I should look at?

Thanks again!

#5 10 years ago

I re-soldered the zeners (that actually weren't soldered at all) and that didn't solve it. I ordered a high voltage repair kit from Marco. Hopefully replacing everything will fix it.

#6 10 years ago

i have the same problem ...i already replaced the dmd driver board i just got it in the mail today ...i have a theater of magic ive been switching out parts with ...so i tested the display its good ...bought a new dmd power board its good ...tried the swapping out the small cable that goes from the display to the board its good ........so far every thing ive tested is good ...im at a stand still .... i walked away from the machine ..it makes no sense ..at this point id skip the rebuild but everything ive read on johnny is it will go out soon anyway ....im here trying to find an answer but i have the same lines on the screen no sound however long i leave it on ...i was gonna swap the other ribbons ....but i think im going to sleep ...tomorrow is a new day i guess ..i was so excited to see your post ..but totally bummed no solution oh well if i figure it ...ill let cha know ...i think the dude that sold me it knew there was an issue ...has a brand spanking new display in it super shinny bright ..on the plus side ...ill prolly swap it into my theater i was thinking the power clip thingy because when i slide it all the way on it does not work ...but if i slide it back some it makes those lines ..

#7 10 years ago

Hey Gurl,

Try flipping the ribbon cable over on your DMD. There is a small square groove on the cable plug. Match that up with the notch in the port on the DMD. The way it's shown in this picture is INCORRECT. The red should be on the other side.

IMG_4107.JPGIMG_4107.JPG

#8 10 years ago

I tried to grab this machine at the auction... congrats on winning it. I was trying to hold out for the austin powers but that went over my cap as well.

I hope you get it working! If you feel like playing some pinball you should head up to 403 club in KCK TONIGHT! we are having our weekly wednesday night tournament at 9pm. 403club.com for more info. There are several knowledgable pinheads that might be able to shed some light on your display problems.

#9 10 years ago

Hey Greenup,

Sorry to beat you out on the JM, but I sure am having fun bringing it back to life. There was a long list of repairs that needed to be made and I'm working my way through it. I just finished rebuilding the high voltage area on the DMD driver board and I'm about to go try it out. If you're interested, I'd be happy to post some pictures of my progress.

And yes, I keep meaning to make it to 403 on a Wednesday for the tournament. I'll make it one of these weeks. Thanks!

#10 10 years ago

Hey man! Best of luck. I was the guy who tied you at 1150.00 at the auction. Just reading your previous post, you should post pics of the progress....would love to see it. I think that playfield is going to clean up really nice!

#11 10 years ago

Well, I rebuilt the high voltage area on the DMD driver board, installed it, turned it on and the R13 resistor fried. I may just break down and buy a replacement board. I hate giving up like that.

Here's a pic of the playfield after I stripped it down and cleaned it up. It looks great. I hope to be able to play it soon. The flipper rebuild kits will arrive tomorrow along with several other parts. I'm replacing the x and y nuts on the glove next. They are completely stripped out.

IMG_4139.JPGIMG_4139.JPG

#12 10 years ago

i got it right ..the ribbon i swapped the other ribbons ive swapped basically everything so far ... i think i have a power problem as well because today i got nothing ....cant even make an ugly line ...so the plan steal theaters power driver board yup gonna swap that sucker out ...ill let cha know what happens next . and if that fails im gonna load her up and drop her at the pinball guru ....i think its in the board ..i really do ..just havnt found anything saying which part ..he has a tester ....so its a no brainer if it works after the swap and when he tells me what it is ..ill let cha know

#13 10 years ago

Marco specialties sent me the wrong resistor in the high voltage rebuild kit. They sent a 47 ohm resistor and I needed a 47k ohm resistor. The bag was labeled correctly, but the resistor was wrong. That's why it burned. When that happened, it took out some transistors with it. After replacing some other components, I have most of the power back to the DMD, but the 65v pin is only reading 3v. And the display is completely dark. This is a bit frustrating.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 22.50
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Boards
Slap Save Creations

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 29.00
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-mnemonic-display-isnt-working and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.