Topic Stats

• 17 posts
  • 11 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by timtim
  • No one calls this topic a favorite

You

Linked Games

#1 9 years ago

looking to buy first pin. The machine is in fair condition, typical signs if use for 20 year old machine. Seller is asking $1900 firm. Contemplating whether or not this is a good buy for my first pin. Any thoughts? Thanks.

#2 9 years ago

Need a lot more info to make a judgement call... Do you have any photos of playfield? Photos of the cab? Photos of boards in the backbox.

#3 9 years ago

Most JM's have perfect playfields, and go for 1900-2300. The red on the cab is almost is always faded to yellow, non faded cabs go for a bit more.

I think that most B/W DMD pins under 2k is a decent buy these days, if fully working.

#4 9 years ago

If you like a fast, kick ass game; I would buy it. Price seems decent if in good condition. It's thd most played game by far in my collection.

#5 9 years ago
Quoted from tamoore:

I think that most B/W DMD pins under 2k is a decent buy these days, if fully working.

Except for Popeye right?

I love JM and deeply regret selling my original one but good thing is my current one is in way nicer shaper then my first one in regards to cab dings and fade.

Aside from the obvious such as broken plastics or ramps you will want to make sure the data glove operates smoothly and quietly. It can be rebuilt and another member on here documented their complete tear down and rebuild here in detail:

http://quinndunki.com/blondihacks/?p=1615

Good luck on your purchase and keep us updated.

#6 9 years ago

Here is a link to the craigslist add.

holland.craigslist.org link

I went to check it out yesterday. It seemed like a fun pin and really neat to look at. The magnatized hand is awesome and works well. A few bumpers need to be replaced and it sounds like one or two of the speakers are blown since it crackles a little. The can and the backbox are in fair condition. A few scratches here and there but nothing you wouldn't expect from a 20 yr old pin that has been in an arcade. The circuit boards all look clean. Thanks

#7 9 years ago

The ramps are all in good shape

#8 9 years ago

I see a credit dot but probably the hand in-switch either needs to be adjusted to engage when the glove picks up the ball. I know from time to time my game will throw a credit dot for this and go away on its own and not a big deal if running the latest code. If you are talking to the seller you should ask him to open the coin door and hit enter to see what the TEST REPORT says otherwise it might not be a big deal.

The only other area of the playfield you should check for signs of wear would be by the pop bumpers because the glove do drop the ball there a lot during game play. There should be factory mylar there but worth having a closer look. I see the left side of the cab is faded but someone makes decals for just the rest part so if the fade bothers you should be an easy fix.

It is a very fun game and the Powerdown wizard mode is pretty awesome too. You can see my friend Adam get to it in this game play video

#9 9 years ago

I've been looking for a JM as well. Looks like a nice deal. I just made a long road trip to Michigan to sell a pin, but this one is even farther away from me. If anyone has one to sell a bit closer I'd be interested. Let us know if you pick this one up.

#10 9 years ago

Thanks all, seems like a pretty good deal. I'm going to pick it up today!

#11 9 years ago

I bought and installed the machine. It's a great game! One thing I noticed though was the left flipper sticks upwards once in a while. Is that fixed with applying lubricant somewhere? Or is this a more serious issue? And I didn't notice this when I was testing the game before I bought it :/

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from mkammeraad:

I bought and installed the machine. It's a great game! One thing I noticed though was the left flipper sticks upwards once in a while. Is that fixed with applying lubricant somewhere? Or is this a more serious issue? And I didn't notice this when I was testing the game before I bought it :/

No never usec any lubricant it needs torn apart and cleaned /rebuilt.

#13 9 years ago

No lubricant. You probably need to replace the plunger. It probably has mushroomed on the end causing it to drag inside the coil.

#14 9 years ago

You've been playing this game a LOT more than has been played...probably it's just been sitting for months and now you are taking it out on the track. you can expect small issues like this to come up (which probably didn't present themselves when you picked it up).

This isn't a major issue it's just what happens.

In this case it could be many different things - spring issue, a loose part (id suspect coil stop) or not enough play between flipper and bushing. You could even have a magnetized coil stop: if you hit the
Other flipper and the stuck coil drops, suspect a magnetized coil stop which needs to be replaced.

For starters You should look underneath and see if anything is askew. You can compare it to the other flipper.

#15 9 years ago

Thanks guys. I'll check it out and let you know what I find.

#16 9 years ago

Congrats on the game.

Reading this thread will help a ton with your flipper knowledge.
https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/vids-guide-to-upgradingrebuilding-flippers

#17 9 years ago

Congrats great game
I don't regret buying mine at all, in fact I played it today before work.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 22.50
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 29.00
Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Boards
PinSound

$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-mnemonic-buying-advice and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.