Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
IMG_4871.jpg
BeforeAfterLEDs.jpg
#1 10 years ago

Hey Guys,

I know most are out at MGC. I sure wish we were there but work didn't allow for it to happen this time around! We worked on Johnny all evening. Because the theme will not help this pin get plays on location, we decided to LED it very colorfully to stick out from the others in the lineup. I think it looks great!

BeforeAfterLEDs.jpgBeforeAfterLEDs.jpg
#2 10 years ago

Nice work....LEDs really make JM pop!

#3 10 years ago

The blue behind the chick's face makes her look Smurfy. Also, the explosion isn't as bright now. Other than that, I like it.

#4 10 years ago

Awesome job Tony looks great

#5 10 years ago

That there is a nice lookin Johnny

#6 10 years ago

Wow. Are you will to share the makeup of LEDs did you populate the GIs, inserts and backlight with?

#7 10 years ago

I'm make a long distance phone call... to tell you that looks awesome

#8 10 years ago

I put leds in mine too and it really pops now but the pf was still dark. I play my games in a dark room so I put 3 double spot lights from Pinballbulbs on and you can really see the ball now. Your location is dark too so think about adding the spots.

#9 10 years ago

Best with JM is to LED all the inserts, but leave the GI all #44 bulbs. JM is one of the few games I like with all LEDs in the inserts, mainly because they tend to be darker colors (except the modes), and aren't all overly flashing in your face. Game looks nice!

#10 10 years ago

can you see the ball when playing?

#11 10 years ago

looks totally amazing.
great color choices !!!

#12 10 years ago

Thanks guys! The game is actually very lit and I can play in the dark without any issues. We lit up the flippers as well. We added 4 LED strips to the game.

We tend to stay away from the spotlights because they always get hit with balls and fall apart and causes service calls

#14 10 years ago

wow

#15 10 years ago

Looks awesome!!! Not sure how I feel about the green right outlane (vs. it being matching blue), but guessing there is a reason for it that I'm not recognizing?

#16 10 years ago

The idea was the colors criss crossing. IN the photo it looks weird but in person it looks good so far.

#17 10 years ago

Ahhh, right...I see it now. Looks cool. Even better with that description. Well done. Let us know it affects how it does on location. I'm betting it does help. We're funny creatures that way aren't we? ...drawn to the shiny lure it seems.
Best of luck.
Mike

#18 10 years ago

Nice job Tony.

#19 10 years ago

Looks great! Just picked up a JM today and might follow your lead on this!

#20 10 years ago

Really nice looking pin. If I was at your place I would give you my quarters!

#21 10 years ago

The other reason the before looks so much brighter is because the overhead lights were on. (I'm an idiot) and don't have any pictures of the lights off. I think it looks great and thanks so much for the compliments! Once my mother finishes the cab work to restore the bright red, it will move to Eastsidepinball.com's location.

2 weeks later
#22 9 years ago
Quoted from policano:

Once my mother finishes the cab work to restore the bright red

How is she going to restore the red?

#23 9 years ago

One with lights on one with off...not much of a comparison.

#24 9 years ago

There's gotta be a hog dog stand around here somewhere!

#25 9 years ago
Quoted from policano:

The other reason the before looks so much brighter is because the overhead lights were on. (I'm an idiot) and don't have any pictures of the lights off. I think it looks great and thanks so much for the compliments! Once my mother finishes the cab work to restore the bright red, it will move to Eastsidepinball.com's location.

Getting a true side-by-side photo really requires a camera with manual aperture and white balance control as well. Otherwise the camera adjusts the difference in light output of the LEDs, even if the ambient light is comparable. I did this before/after image of my Johnny using identical lighting conditions, but the difference is still difficult to see because it's from an automatic camera (an iPhone in this case):

image.jpgimage.jpg

#26 9 years ago
Quoted from blondie7575:

Getting a true side-by-side photo really requires a camera with manual aperture and white balance control as well. Otherwise the camera adjusts the difference in light output of the LEDs, even if the ambient light is comparable. I did this before/after image of my Johnny using identical lighting conditions, but the difference is still difficult to see because it's from an automatic camera (an iPhone in this case):

image.jpg 210 KB

Agree, the most telling is the DMD screen in that pic...

#27 9 years ago
Quoted from Pimp77:

Agree, the most telling is the DMD screen in that pic...

And the wall behind the machine, which is a light blue. The automatic white balance really messes with that, since the incandescent bulbs have a yellow hue, but LEDs are true white with a better gamut.

1 week later
#28 9 years ago

I've seen it in person, and it really does look awesome.

You might wanna put in a spotlight or two to light up the center pf; maybe one cool white and the other blue. I added white spots to my CV and the difference is truly remarkable.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 29.00
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

$ 37.50
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Boards
KAHR.US Circuits

$ 22.50
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 95.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Pinball Mod Co.

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Playfield - Other
Arcade Upkeep

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-mnemonic-beforeafter-led-conversion and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.