(Topic ID: 14615)

4/15/2012 - JM pretty much totally converted to LEDs - video here :)

By NPO

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 24 posts
  • 17 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 12 years ago by NPO
  • Topic is favorited by 2 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

100_4450.JPG
100_4426.JPG
100_4421.JPG
100_4427.JPG
100_4426.JPG
100_4424.JPG
100_4422.JPG
100_4421.JPG
#1 12 years ago

Hey everyone.

So, I thought I would give everyone some before and after pictures and videos of Johnny Mnemonic's translite being swapped from regular bulbs to LEDs. In the video, I also show a slow-fade color changing LED I installed on the glove of JM. Pretty simple and to the point - enjoy!

Pictures first!

100_4421.JPG100_4421.JPG 100_4422.JPG100_4422.JPG 100_4424.JPG100_4424.JPG

#2 12 years ago

And the finished product! Pictures of the finished product, and before and after videos!

Before video:

After video:

100_4426.JPG100_4426.JPG 100_4427.JPG100_4427.JPG

#3 12 years ago

And to make it easier to see the before and after pics:

100_4421.JPG100_4421.JPG 100_4426.JPG100_4426.JPG

#4 12 years ago

Man the after looks *so much better*. But I'm sure some purist will come say how it needs to be warmed.

#5 12 years ago

Shoot for Crazy Bobs!

First thing I did when I picked up JM was load it with LED. Looks good.

#6 12 years ago

That's an amazing difference!

#7 12 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Shoot for Crazy Bobs!
First thing I did when I picked up JM was load it with LED. Looks good.

Same here, and I totally agree. I also added the sub from pinball pro to it. It's the most aggressive sub in any williams game. So much so that the bass was causing the bottom pop bumper to trigger. I had to make it slightly less sensitive. People constantly ask me how I got the shaker motor hooked up.

#9 12 years ago

Looks really good! BG really come to life with LEDS. I can understand people being overwhelmed by to much LED in the playfield GI and inserts but the BG art just pops and looks so much better there's really no comparison.

#10 12 years ago

BG looks way better with frosted LED's

I could not really tell the difference for the glove in video.

#11 12 years ago

Nice work! I need to change the bulbs in my back box

#12 12 years ago

Some translites are perfect for LEDs. JM is one of them. Looks great.

#13 12 years ago

Great too c before and after shots.... That's exactly what I was looking for. Thanx hoping too purchase kit for my TZ very soon

#14 12 years ago

not even close, what a difference.

#15 12 years ago
Quoted from Winball_Pizard:

Looks really good! BG really come to life with LEDS. I can understand people being overwhelmed by to much LED in the playfield GI and inserts but the BG art just pops and looks so much better there's really no comparison.

I agree the BG looks much better and I plan on replacing all the BG in my games with LEDs cause it reduces heat and takes strain off the boards and connectors but most importantly it doesn't affect game play. Which LEDs did you use cause I will be placing a big bulk order for white ones (200-300pcs) from PBL and was thinking of these ones.

Ablaze 1-LED #555 Wedge Base Lamp With Frosted Lens
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1886&parent=192

#16 12 years ago

Looks good! I just ordered one of Cointaker's LED kits to test & see how painful it is to install.

#17 12 years ago

Thank you everyone for such positive and encouraging compliments! I was totally amazed how different it looked before and after. I knew it was going to look good, but I really didn't know it was going to look THAT good. I'll be doing the playfield hopefully this weekend. Some of the GI bulbs, particularly the ones underneath the left ramp look to be a bit of a challenge to get to. I'll just have to take my time and be patient.

Quoted from mwong168:

Winball_Pizard said:...it reduces heat and takes strain off the boards and connectors but most importantly it doesn't affect game play. Which LEDs did you use cause I will be placing a big bulk order for white ones (200-300pcs) from PBL and was thinking of these ones.
Ablaze 1-LED #555 Wedge Base Lamp With Frosted Lens
http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=1886&parent=192

Hey bud! I used Cointaker's Frosted Cool Whites for the translite - all 24 or 25 of them. Link to them is right here: http://shop.cointaker.com/product.sc?productId=38&categoryId=6

I thought about doing different colors, but I wanted to "start from scratch" with all white just to see how it looks. I won't be changing those bulbs anytime soon . And yes, I completely and totally agree with the reasons you mentioned behind installing LEDs. I'm not one of those guys that just has to have LEDs everywhere from the translite to the playfield to the sides of the cabinet to the legs to the back of the cabinet to Christmas light strands of them wrapped around me as I play pinball */end sarcasm*. I am installing them, like you said, to knock out the heat on and around the PCB board, the translite, and the playfield.

I'll keep everyone updated on the playfield lighting. The color-changer on the glove is very subtle. I would say it's almost more for an observer to see and nearly negligible for a player. It was just an experiment, and I'll be interested to see how it works out once all the lights have been changed!

BTW: how do you change the title of your topic...? I don't want to start yet another thread for the playfield lights once I'm done. Can anyone help me on that? Thanks guys!

Life is good

#18 12 years ago
Quoted from NPO:

BTW: how do you change the title of your topic...? I don't want to start yet another thread for the playfield lights once I'm done. Can anyone help me on that? Thanks guys!

I just figured this out myself last night. EDIT your initial post and it will have a TOPIC field that you can modify to your delight.

AND.. AWESOME JOB. I was super skeptical at first, but man, what a HUGE difference. It's like going from a B&W tv to Color for the first time!

-j

#19 12 years ago

Awesome, i'm getting ready to led mine to. night and day difference.

#20 12 years ago

Great job! Really does make a big difference.

#21 12 years ago

I'm on the fence on LED's, but that translite really benefits from the cooler white you got from the LED's, nice job!

#22 12 years ago

Hey everyone! So, here's a photo and video or two of the job I'm doing right now ! I prolly won't get all of JM done today, but I'm getting a long in the process so far!

Here, Snurdley is finishing what I started. My fingers felt like raw hamburger D: ....
100_4450.JPG100_4450.JPG

Here is a small video for the jet lanes light with the middle one having an LED and the other two being incads:

And here is the playfield at 90 degs with the incads in. I'm not totally done yet; therefore, I haven't done a "table top" shot of the LEDs in place:

#23 12 years ago

So progress is being made on JM's playfield going to all LEDs. Here is a Youtube video fo the playfield down in position of what I have done so far:

#24 12 years ago

So here it is - Johnny Mnemonic nearly entirely converted to LEDs - with the exception of 2 pop bumpers, the start and buy-in buttons, and the flashers. I think it looks fantastic, and TFTC is next. Enjoy the videos!

Before the LED conversion:

After the LED conversion:

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
PinSound

$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
$ 22.50
Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 16.50
Lighting - Led
Lermods

€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

$ 29.00
Boards
Slap Save Creations

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
Hey modders!
Your shop name here

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-mnemonic-before-and-after-with-leds and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.