3.jpg
2.jpg
1.jpg
IMG_0377.JPG
IMG_0381.JPG
IMG_0380.JPG
IMG_0374.JPG
IMG_0206.JPG

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luckymoey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#39 10 years ago

This is my first post. I'm in the process of restoring my JM cabinet - which would have been impossible without Pinside and help in getting decals from some members here. I'll post some pictures when done, but may be able to help with some of the questions. I clamped a straight edge along the sides between the upper and lower parts and was able to strip the bottom half without a problem. Just used a heat gun to just soften the decal by the straightedge - do not let it bubble - and used a scraper to make a clean line. I've put on 3 coats of primer, covered the Keanu graphic on the sides with frisket film and plan to spray black tonight before applying the decals.

IMG_0191.JPGIMG_0191.JPG IMG_0199.JPGIMG_0199.JPG IMG_0206.JPGIMG_0206.JPG

1 month later
#49 10 years ago

They partial sides turned out great. I don't think the line shows any more or less then if the side decal was not removed. Either way would be fine as long as you put the time in to make the surface just right. I'll post some pics tonight though and let them speak for themselves.

#51 10 years ago

Here are some pics of my JM with partial side decals. I had to trim the top and bottom of the side decals to get them to line up perfect with the front. I used a regular sharpie on the top edge of the side decals so that they blended in "seamlessly" with the rest of the side. This was my first redecal job. I screwed up a couple times but nothing that couldn't be fixed and it certainly gave me the confidence to take on another one. Also appreciate the value now in buying a professionally restored pin.

#52 10 years ago

pics

IMG_0374.JPGIMG_0374.JPG IMG_0380.JPGIMG_0380.JPG

#53 10 years ago

couple more

IMG_0381.JPGIMG_0381.JPG IMG_0377.JPGIMG_0377.JPG

#56 10 years ago

I didn't really overlap. Essentially was able to butt the bottom decal up to the edge. It was actually easier than it sounds as long as you use a straight edge to remove the old decal.

Suggest using a black spray primer like Rustoleum 2x and then a semi-gloss spray on the edges. The spray primer will create a much smother surface than normal paint. It's hard to get an even finish with semi or gloss on a large area, but covering the edges should be no problem.

My decals came with a mask on the front. Be careful not to rub too hard, especially after removing the mask. The red ink will come off - I found out the hard way. Suggest using a felt covered or rubber squeegee when the mask is on and only a micro cloth after you remove. If there are some air bubbles, I'd just pop with a pin and give it a day. The decals really pull down by themselves.

#59 10 years ago

My main mistake was rubbing the decal too hard with a felt covered squeegee after the decal mask was off. This took a little of the red ink off that had to be touched up with a paint pen. The decals also had some creases from being rolled. Let them lay out with the playfield glass or something else to flatten them for a day or two.

I also would use a straight edge to trim the decal after it is on rather than the cabinet edge. If you get the cabinet edge just right with a nice bevel than it's probably better but a straight edge is safer if you're not a pro. I bought a 5 ft straightedge from Home Depot and used clamps to hold it in place.

The top of my side decals needed to be cut before application to line up right with the front and the original look of the machine. Take your time laying out the decals on your machine before starting to apply. I used the wet method to apply and can't imagine why you would do dry - especially your first time. Just make sure not to let the liquid drip onto the bottom of the cabinet.

Like everyone says, applying the decals is the easy part if you've put in the days of prep. Good luck.

1 week later
#65 10 years ago

There are only a few late 90's Williams machines made with true decals (MB, CC). There is a post here or somewhere else, can't remember, that describes the different methods used over the years. For JM, they put down a layer of white vinyl that comes up like a decal and then I think silk screened over it. It will not peel off, but with a heat gun will bubble and scrap off pretty easy. You will need to use goo gone to get the adhesive off like a true decal. You should try the back box or front first to get a feel for it.

With a straight edge tightly clamped to the sides and being careful not to use too much heat near it, you can get a clean line. I don't know the long-term risk of installing new decals over the old. Astropin's machine looks great so initially it isn't a problem and personally I doubt it will every be. Wouldn't chance for a high-end renovation but on JM you may not want to bother with stripping the sides and just sand. I'm a glutton for punishment and was confident it wouldn't be a problem after testing a small area.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 18.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Boards
Slap Save Creations

3,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
West Chester, PA
$ 16.00
Boards
Lermods

$ 11.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
ULEKstore

$ 22.50
$ 1.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Alley

$ 5.00
Playfield - Protection
UpKick Pinball

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 199.95
Electronics
PinSound

Eproms
Matt's Basement Arcade

$ 63.95
Eproms
Pinballrom

Machine - For Sale
New Castle, CO
Machine - For Sale
Merritt Island, FL
$ 5.95
Playfield - Protection
The Pinball Scientist

$ 22.50
Electronics
bdash's bits

$ 29.00
Machine - For Sale
Oakley, CA
€ 150.00
Cabinet - Decals
Pin-Decals

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider luckymoey.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/johnny-got-a-new-suit?tu=luckymoey and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.