forbidden planet spanish poster (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
forbidden_planet_cargirl (resized).jpg
forbidden_planet_music_bebe (resized).jpg
forbidden planet matte (resized).jpg
wonka_i_see_what_you_did_(resized).jpg
Robot_B-9_confronts_the_Robotoid_(resized).jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider OTTOgd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#54 11 years ago

This is news to me. Trudeau is awesome. He designed a tonne of games (~61) and took a lot of chances. Some great flow games. Not all were successful games ... but they were definitely different.

Check out all the never-produced whitewoods. I think there's a 4-level in the list: http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?searchtype=advanced&ppl=John%20Trudeau

#75 11 years ago
Quoted from rgb635:

.... I label Trudeau as the Pat Lawlor for Gottlieb : )

I don't think that's a compliment, personally. Lawlor's ~20 Stop-n-Go-Specials versus Trudeau's groundbreaking designs? Lawlor designed for the newb while Trudeau always attempted to break new ground. Pat Lawlor is so over-rated.

#86 11 years ago
Quoted from epotech:

There are currently NO plans to make more than 1 for each team member, this is not a boutique run or has any manufacturer expressed an interest. We are making this purely cause we can and wanted to explore a bit. That said, never say never!

Say it ain't so! I would definitely be interested ... IF the price wasn't more than current NIB prices.

#93 11 years ago
Quoted from Atomicboy:

With all the flawed designs, most of which never made it to production, and the few ho hum creations in the DMD age, I HARDLY think Trudeau enters the Company of any of the main designers, especially Lawlor. Let's get a grip here...

Wow, Aaron, you really need to get your head out of Lawlor's as ... err ... scoop-holes and take a good look at Trudeau's efforts. One thing to keep in mind is, I don't think Trudeau is a game programmer so the strength of his layouts are the physical designs; the flow and his innovations of ball redirection.

Arguably, JT's later DMD games, like Black Rose which has a great layout, would have been improved with better software (to lessen the scoring imbalance of the Ship). Congo, however, is awesome. But, when it comes to pinball appreciation, I don't over-value DMDs.

You're right, Trudeau isn't in the same Company of Playfield Recyclers™ ... he's in a league of his own. Take a good look at JT's new design. Seriously, have you seen anything like it before?

#95 11 years ago
Quoted from pinball_customs:

and you call yourself a Trudeau fan... pfft! This pin is old news

Yeah, I am a fan and I was more than pleasantly surprised! But I'm also new to PinSide, Brock, and didn't read about it anywhere else.

But I have to say that the 'Forbidden Planet' theme does concern me a bit with regards to the depth and variety of modes. I just re-watched the movie and it's really simple overall. Cool looking, but I don't see too many variables.

#97 11 years ago

Cool story, bro.

#103 11 years ago

Hey, Aaron, I have a News Flash for you! It's not the 80's or 90's anymore!

Yes, there's no question that Lawlor's games sold well ... but so did the Toyota Corolla, Youngblood #1 and acid wash jeans. Popular consumption hardly qualifies them as greatest things ever.

That's not to suggest a few of Lawlor's games are not fun (I played them a tonne myself, bitd) but now in 2012, we can look back objectively as Home Arcade Owners as opposed to Operators or Impressionable Youths and better judge the overall accomplishments of pinball designers, regardless of past sales/turbulent financial and technological times, and scrutinize games in a extended-play environment.

... that is, assuming that one is capable of actually being objective and not hypnotized by popular public opinion or nostalgia.

But in an era of recycled designs, JT's latest 'Forbidden Planet' design is still fresh and novel and I really hope to play it one day. I believe he's been working with Popadiuk as of lately too. Great news overall.

#106 11 years ago

Your 'reality bus' has an outstanding recall notice.

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Everything now depends on rules and software.

Wrong. Not everyone is fixated on DMD pins. 'Everything now' depends on what someone appreciates in a game in their world, presently, regardless of the era. Perhaps software is your 'everything'. Not mine. Rules and flow, however, are important.

TSPP, imho, is not a very enjoyable game. Overly complicated rule-set, super-long, stop-n-go gameplay. Not my cup 'o tea. Reminds me of TZ which is another pin I don't care for. I loved playing it when it first came out but because it was new and I only just started to enjoy pinball. The same could be said for TAF. But I quickly gravitated to ST:TNG, HS2, BSD, WH20, etc. In my sordid pool hall/arcade hang-out days, all I played were DMDs (and vids).

Quoted from Atomicboy:

Interesting note coming from the guy with mostly 80s games. Are you saying 80s and 90s games don't compare to the latest releases?

No, you see, that's nonsense. Upcoming JJ, Skit-B or Sterns games are just as new to me and exciting as many older pins that I haven't played. They all have their merits and short-comings. Pinball league and ownership is helping me formulate MY gaming wants/needs.

I also have limited space, disposable income and free time but now appreciate short game-time and challenging pins from all eras so I do my research and scrutinize. Just fixed up a Joker Poker and it won't be leaving any time soon and the next pin I'll be picking up shortly is a WWF:RR. I was sweating buckets trying to figure out how I could afford the new X-men ... until I saw the pics. I've had F-14 for a few days now and can hardly wait to get it out of my basement.

Aside from Banzai Run and Safe Cracker, I'm just not overly impressed by Lawlor. Trudeau, on the other hand, impressed me with his creativity. I don't recall playing a single one of his games before I started collecting just 3 years ago.

Back on topic ...

One of the things I've noticed in my ongoing appreciation of this hobby is how a couple of really cool design features used in Zaccaria pins have largely been ignored by American companies. I have yet to play a single one but I have always thought that the clear, second level is a great way to add more playable real estate without obscuring the ball. Games like 'Devil Riders', 'Pinball Champ '82', and 'Farfalla'. Zaccaria's use of raised shooter lanes also open up the lower playfield a bit more as well.

Anyway, JT has incorporated this 2nd clear level feature which I think might be pretty neat. During multiball, I'm supposing that balls will bounce around the pops 'upstairs' while the player tries to navigate the balls below as well as feed the lower balls back up the ramp. Interesting dynamic. Could be fun and frantic.

I just hope 'Forbidden Planet' doesn't just get added to the list of JT's nifty unproduced whitewoods that are currently on IPDB. It'd be sweet to see those built in Pinmame.

/end Wall of Text

6 months later
#132 11 years ago

Izzit done?

#139 11 years ago
Quoted from HighProtein:

I dig his Judge Dredd.
His other games are oook at best on average.

Huh? Wha?

Who allowed this defamatory poster to steal our oxygen???

... Congo, TX-sector, Spirit ... just to name a few!

BEGONE, NONSENSICAL POSTER ... BEGONE!!!

9 months later
#150 10 years ago

Trudeau has 20+ games designed that were never produced!

Check out all the cool whitewoods:

http://www.ipdb.org/search.pl?prd=0&ppl=John+Trudeau&searchtype=advanced

It would be great if Forbidden Planet was produced for the masses though.

1 year later
#208 9 years ago

MOAR VIDEO!!!

3 months later
#233 9 years ago

Yeah ... MOAR VIDEO!!!

4 months later
#267 8 years ago

Very, very cool.

Love to see more gameplay/ball movement in a video.

Pre-order deposit sent!

7 months later
#301 8 years ago

Deposit made!

6 months later
#359 7 years ago

Cool!

... but it would be great to see the ball actually flippered up the ramp.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider OTTOgd.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/john-treadeaus-forbidden-planet?tu=OTTOgd and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.