forbidden planet spanish poster (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
image (resized).jpeg
forbidden_planet_cargirl (resized).jpg
forbidden_planet_music_bebe (resized).jpg
forbidden planet matte (resized).jpg
wonka_i_see_what_you_did_(resized).jpg
Robot_B-9_confronts_the_Robotoid_(resized).jpg

There are 466 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.
#1 12 years ago

Hi guys, I found these pics on another forum. Apparantly it was at the UK Pinball Party.
Rumor has it, that when it's finished and if it plays good Jearsy Jack may want to produce it. (don't quote me on that though)

DSC00514.JPGDSC00514.JPG DSC00511.JPGDSC00511.JPG DSC00513.JPGDSC00513.JPG DSC00517.JPGDSC00517.JPG DSC00518.JPGDSC00518.JPG DSC00509.JPGDSC00509.JPG

Post edited by The_Dude_Abides : Edited post title to correct the spelling of the designers name.

#2 12 years ago

Very interesting looking game. The skill shot seems really cool. Thanks for the photos!

#3 12 years ago

Wish I could see what was going on under the elevated playfield.

#4 12 years ago

Looks cool. Thanks for the photos.

#5 12 years ago

The design has been advancing for well over a year now. It is going to be very different! There are only plans to make a few at the moment so I'm sure that "Jack backing" would be welcome.

#6 12 years ago

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but the upper playfield does not look very functional. It looks like you feed the ball up the left red ramp and the ball just hits a bunch of pop bumpers and can randomly go down 1 of 2 wireforms to feed to the flippers.

Looks overproduced to me. Still nice attempt and theme is awesome. Will have to study the playfield a little more.

#7 12 years ago

I hope there are some Naked Gun easter eggs.

#8 12 years ago

Also looks as though there will be a center ramp which lifts up and sends the ball over the top of the upper playfield and then dribble off to the sides into the upper pf or roll back to the flippers or drain SDTM.

The area below the bottom pop bumper is confusing to me. Not sure how the ball gets in there or why.

#9 12 years ago

exciting time for pinball right now.

#10 12 years ago

cool... same guy who designed Judge Dredd correct??

#11 12 years ago
Quoted from GAP:

Not trying to be a Debbie Downer, but the upper playfield does not look very functional. It looks like you feed the ball up the left red ramp and the ball just hits a bunch of pop bumpers and can randomly go down 1 of 2 wireforms to feed to the flippers.

Quoted from SealClubber:

Also looks as though there will be a center ramp which lifts up and sends the ball over the top of the upper playfield

You got it and add in an interactive back-glass maybe...details still to be released as I would guess there is no advantage in giving away to much at this early stage.

#12 12 years ago
Quoted from TZBen:

exciting time for pinball right now.

It is!!!

I just sold my last kid and now have almost 10k put aside. If someone offers me another 5k for the Mrs, I will get WOZ, Transformers AND Forbidden Planet....

It really is exciting though....

#13 12 years ago
Quoted from TJ141:

cool... same guy who designed Judge Dredd correct??

Correct + loads of others. More recent games include BOP, BR, Congo, Flintstones and Creature

#14 12 years ago

As I posted many times when asked about a pinball theme...FORBIDDEN PLANET!
The saucer...Robby the Robot...Anne Francis...Id Monster....I'll be first on line to get it!!

#15 12 years ago

It has a LCD screen. Maybe JJ is going to make this.

#16 12 years ago

Forbidden Planet is a great movie. I love the theme.

#17 12 years ago

interesting- anyone hear anything at the UK pinball party?

#19 12 years ago
Quoted from HELLODEADCITY:

interesting- anyone hear anything at the UK pinball party?

Various people in the UK have been involved in the design and construction so far with JT but it's still pretty much under wraps. Phil Dixon is one who has done work on it. I can make him aware of this post but I don't think there will be much to add at the moment.

Last I heard the plan was to make a handful of them. The project grew from JT's visit to the UK Pinball Party a couple of years ago, he had ideas and some offered to help build it.

#20 12 years ago

do you think it still a mock up?
or functional maybe partial inside?

#21 12 years ago

I don't think there is software ready so not functioning at the show.

#22 12 years ago

I was wondering about the backglass area you think they might be some animation element
in the works? like a model robot ?
first thing came to mind when I looked at it

#23 12 years ago

That whitewood looks sweet, and looks like more fun than the WOZ layout (Calm down, I'm sure it'll be awesome when it's done).

Kinda sucks seeing all these custom machines being created, because it means excitement for no reason if they aren't produced in large enough numbers to be playable to a larger amount of people!

#24 12 years ago

Hi Guys, from my Avatar, you'll probably guess I'm involved and have made what you see so far. I'll answer what I can and what JT will allow me to!
Yes the upper playfield is jet bumpers, it also has a lifter mechanism that transports the ball from the lower to upper playfield, not a VUK, a proper lifting mech. You can also drop the ball back down it. Also theres another exit that drops the ball from the top playfield to a subway ramp that exits just in front of the skillshot and feeds the small upper flipper...
It went to the show principally as I was handing it over to the next person in the chain. It's going off to be wired. The underside is fully populated.
You are correct, the ramp does indeed lift up. This is a temporary bit at the moment but when it lifts it will also lift side skirts. The upper clear part of the ramp is not flat but has a slight dish in it to keep the ball on the ramp...

#25 12 years ago

Great work (as always) it looks an ace game, I think the eventual success in terms of game play will depend on the game balance and how the lifting ramp feature is integrated into play. I'm loving the fact that there are so many shots in the layout and it should look awsome when finished!

#26 12 years ago

Wish I could see what was going on under the elevated playfield.

Here's a shot during manufacture, hope it helps...

20100903_001.jpg20100903_001.jpg

#27 12 years ago

If you need any photos of Robby or the saucer, I have hundreds of Forbidden Planet pix, including candids. Is the pin going to have an LCD screen like Wizard?

#28 12 years ago

Yes it has a LCD screen, part of the modes will integrate shooting the ramp with the ball seeming to roll into the screen (it won't, it'll drop onto the top playfield). Sure we will need any pics we can get when it comes to getting it working.
Talking of which it will use all custom hardware (not P-ROC, WPC or any other existing), this is almost complete. I already have the OS written and low level code which runs on a mini itx running linux and is programmed in python (same as P-ROC). I wrote this about 8 years ago for another project. Can't give any more details as another of the team is working on that. It's not secret, I just don't know!

#29 12 years ago

I'm a film director, both Anne Francis and Leslie Nielsen were friends. Anything I can do to help, just let me know. Is Jersey Jack getting involved here?

#30 12 years ago

When will it be finished? Looks great!

#31 12 years ago
Quoted from spfxted:

Anne Francis and Leslie Nielsen were friends

I just looked a the original film trailer, great film and a great story from memory. Didn't remember the who acted in it until you pointed it out.
The two stand out Sci-fi films I remember from a small kid were Forbidden Planet and The day the Earth stood still.

#32 12 years ago

Absolutely!...and The Thing, This Island Earth, War of the Worlds, When Worlds Collide, The Time Machine, Incredible Shrinking Man....and many of Ray Harryhausen's films....

#33 12 years ago

This Island Earth cracked me up when I was a kid. The aliens were funny looking. The movie has great special effects for its time. I was fortunate my dad loved science fiction so I saw alot of sci-fi from the 50's , 60's and 70's and 80's. Forbidden Planet scared me with the scene of the foot steps making loud noises and imprints in the ground as the Id got closer to them. I still love that movie.

#34 12 years ago
Quoted from vster23:

Forbidden Planet scared me with the scene of the foot steps making loud noises

Me too and the unstoppable way it broke through the doors

#35 12 years ago

Great hearing this. Sooo many of the young kids today never even heard of the film. And the effects STILL hold up pretty well for 1956!

#36 12 years ago

More FP

25.jpg25.jpg 38.jpg38.jpg

#37 12 years ago

will this go into serious production? how many units are being considered to be made?

#38 12 years ago

Just heard from Jersey Jack. He says he doesn't have anything to do with the FP machine...he just took a few pictures with the guys. He said he is also not 100% sure what their second machine will be....

9 months later
#39 11 years ago

Just a bump to see if anyone knows of the current progress of this project.

Robert

#40 11 years ago

Thanks for bumping this. I had never even heard of this until today. It is great to see trudeau back in the pinball game!

#41 11 years ago

I love the theme and it should have been done years ago but, the flow layout looks a little iffy. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

#42 11 years ago

Good call on the bump MSR. Looks like a pretty cool project and a Trudeau design which makes it even more interesting. Not one of those flashy designers but has a unique style with titles like JD, CFTBL, Congo, The Flinstones, Bride of Pinbot. I hope this may be progressing.

(moved to all pinball sub forum)

#43 11 years ago

If it's a Trudeau project that becomes available, I want in on it. Hopefully enough will be produced.

#44 11 years ago

I feel somewhat left out here. Who is Trudeau (or Treadeau since I see it spelled both ways)??

#46 11 years ago
Quoted from bigdaddy07:

I feel somewhat left out here. Who is Trudeau (or Treadeau since I see it spelled both ways)??

Let's see....Bride of Pinbot, Black Rose, Creature From the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, and Congo are some of the games he designed. He also did alot of stuff for Gottlieb. Listen to his Topcast interview, it s pretty cool...

#47 11 years ago
Quoted from MrSanRamon:

Google is your friend...

Yah, I did a quick Google and came up with 100 other guys with that name. I should have coupled it with pinball, duh! Thanks for the link.

#48 11 years ago
Quoted from Jnewton:

Let's see....Bride of Pinbot, Black Rose, Creature from the Black Lagoon, Judge Dredd, and Congo are some of the games he designed. He also did alot of stuff for Gottlieb. Listen to his Topcast interview, it s pretty cool...

Hmmm...I'm not a personal fan of most of those titles, I suppose that's why his name wasn't ringing a bell for me. Hopefully he can do a great job on this as I love the theme.

#49 11 years ago

I "PM'd" Eric and asked him for an update here.

Robert

#50 11 years ago

Excellent! Would be a NIB fer me fer sur!!

danger.gifdanger.gif

There are 466 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 10.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/john-treadeaus-forbidden-planet/ and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.