(Topic ID: 11527)

John Popadiuk's Pinball School

By Mr68

12 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

#1 12 years ago
    #2 12 years ago

very cool. maybe there is hope after all.

#3 12 years ago

Sign me up!!!

#4 12 years ago

Im liking this idea bIG time. Exactly what the industry needs to keep pinball innovating.

#5 12 years ago

I like it also,sign me up after kwiKimart !!

#6 12 years ago

I wish there was some more details on the site...

#7 12 years ago

You have to send an e-mail for more info. I sent him one. I get the feeling he's putting out feelers, to see if there is enough interest in doing a class. I'm willing to bet, it won't be cheap.

#8 12 years ago

John said that there will be more information about the curriculum/structure and dates around March.
    For the record,
    I am in as well...

#9 12 years ago

I would looooove to do this. Cost is going to be the key factor.

#10 12 years ago

I would love to do this. Wonder if they talk about design software being used.

#11 12 years ago

It talks about designing your own pin, and getting a working white wood. Mine will have posts you get points for hitting. Negative points for missing the posts.

I can see it now, "The Postmaster General" *****

#12 12 years ago

Definitely sounds interesting! I might do it.

#13 12 years ago

Schedule is everything for me. I'd take a week off to travel, but anything beyond that isn't happening. It would be cool to offer a virtual classroom. I'd be in, no question.

Brian

#14 12 years ago

at first i thought it was a pinball repair class.....was kinda interested.

#15 12 years ago

This is so cool, i need to get a kid so i can send it there... now just need to wife someone... is Jennifer Love Hewitt available?

#16 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

Schedule is everything for me. I'd take a week off to travel, but anything beyond that isn't happening. It would be cool to offer a virtual classroom. I'd be in, no question.
    Brian

You read my mind. I just got an email from John confirming my ZA pre-order and I was going to reply and ask about this. An online option would be awesome.

I have an industrial design background (like most pinball designers) and I've been seriously toying with the idea of creating my own theme and "whitewood"... just for my own satisfaction and fun of course. I could never get the thing wired and programmed, but the guys at work are all becoming pinball addicts like me and we have access to a bunch of talented artists, a full shop with CNC machines and rapid prototyping. We've been talking about it for a couple of months so a course like this would be a dream come true!

If it were a week crash course with online follow-up, I could probably swing that as well. Fingers crossed.

#17 12 years ago

I've been thinking about this for a while. I asked about design software a few months back, and had started sketching general designs. I have experience with programming and QA, and spent time in school (way back when) with mechanical drafting and architecture. Add the pinball hobby, an acute appreciation for physics and art, and this is right squarely in my interest.

#18 12 years ago
    Quoted from pinster68:

I've been thinking about this for a while. I asked about design software a few months back, and had started sketching general designs. I have experience with programming and QA, and spent time in school (way back when) with mechanical drafting and architecture. Add the pinball hobby, an acute appreciation for physics and art, and this is right squarely in my interest.

I got you covered with design software and anything 3D. If you can figure out how to wire and program a game we're in business, I hear custom low-run pins go for a lot of $$$ these days.

But seriously, I'd be willing to collaborate on a project for fun. I was hoping to dig up some CAD blocks of the standard Williams parts (like you see on the TILT documentary). I've been story boarding some ideas. Send me a PM if you're interested.

#19 12 years ago
    Quoted from TheDude:

This is so cool, i need to get a kid so i can send it there... now just need to wife someone... is Jennifer Love Hewitt available?

Dude. Take my wife... Please!

#20 12 years ago
    Quoted from Mr68:

Dude. Take my wife... Please!

Why, is there something wrong with it?

#21 12 years ago
    Quoted from TheDude:

Mr68 said:Dude. Take my wife... Please!
    Why, is there something wrong with it?

I keep rubbing with Novus but she won't turn on...

#22 12 years ago

i'm afraid 99% of the material would go in one ear and out the other, otherwise i'd be on board.

#23 12 years ago

Hi...

Thanks for the comments. We will setup a form for ideas (what would be cool) but the main focus is on design theory, laying out games, themes and moving into building your own play field. We will have some guests pop in to help and you will leave with your own board, tools and stuff. Also there will be a 3d cad element and some 3d printers.

But yes email or call me if you need more information. Also I am looking for a pinball tech apprentice now, maybe 2 for our new studio we will be moving into next month.

Jpop
    (224) 532-0639

#24 12 years ago

This is something i would LOVE to do, Any idea on cost yet?

A seminar on playfield artwork design would be great too. As a graphic designer and illustrator myself, I would hate to see pinball just go the way of the photoshop collage from now on.

#25 12 years ago
    Quoted from NY2Colorado:

at first i thought it was a pinball repair class.....was kinda interested.

Me too.

The design class sounds really cool but I would be more interested in a hands on repair class with circuit board & electrical theory.

#26 12 years ago

Gah! In another life I suppose. What a great idea for spreading the word, getting fresh minds designing. I should take my engineering minded son. Kids and electronics...he would love to make his own game, So would I. Gah again.

#27 12 years ago

Hi

Yes we need a new group of designers, and at least a place to start. I was mentored by senior designers and would have *no* career if it was not for them. Let me think about the kid aspect, as this is a full day - eve thing as folks are traveling. So we would go for chow and hang around and assist on my work too. Maybe too much for kids.

Jpop

#28 12 years ago

Wow, what an awesome opportunity, I'd totally do it.

#29 12 years ago
    Quoted from nutshell79:

NY2Colorado said:at first i thought it was a pinball repair class.....was kinda interested.
    Me too.
    The design class sounds really cool but I would be more interested in a hands on repair class with circuit board & electrical theory.

agreed.

I would also be very interested in hands on repair/circuit/elec stuff

#30 12 years ago

Any idea on price range at all and how long? A week? 2 weeks? [email protected]

#31 12 years ago
    Quoted from nutshell79:

I would be more interested in a hands on repair class with circuit board & electrical theory.

Same, I think there are plenty here that could be instructors in such a course...

#32 12 years ago

I would be very interested in a class that simply taught the basics such as how to use a multimeter, soldering, adjusting switches, flipper/pop bumper rebuilds, etc ...

#33 12 years ago

I Would love to be the apprentice pin tech. 20 plus years electronics experience, 20 years lineman, 1 year pin repair. Couldn't quit my day job though.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/john-popadiuks-pinball-school and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.