(Topic ID: 120522)

John Popadiuk's Magic Girl blog is now open!

By Pinballfantexas

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 110 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Star_Gazer
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
image-424.jpg
image.jpg

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider StevenP.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#5 9 years ago

RAZA coming soon too, I think. And new info...

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Those leg bolts are going to do some serious damage to someone's leg.

image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I had the same thought when I saw them. But when I pushed my leg against them, hard, it was not an issue. They aren't sharp and don't 'catch.' And they do look cool. I think they may be available as a general mod for other games soon.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You know, for some reason I thought he was going to print these playfields CMYK, which was disappointing. But now I see the spot color key on the bottom of the playfield wood, and that's rad. These colors will pop like nothing you've seen in a long time.
John, letting the public in is a great idea, share what you're doing and feed off the good energy. And take any criticism as a chance to maybe improve, or hell, just ignore it if you like. That's just part of the territory.
The other thing I want to say is look at this, this is an unlicensed theme, and people are curious and excited. Why? Because the art is gorgeous. Because the theme is intriguing and cohesive. You don't need a license to attract people, but you've got to do it right.

The cab art really looks like an original painting in person, that you want to hang on the wall or something. Direct printed too. And he has a framed version of the backglass in the studio--again, looks like wall-worthy artwork.

#14 9 years ago

In case anyone misses it, the music and sound effects are pretty sweet too, imo. http://pinballinventor.org/games/magicgirl/preview/33/musicsfx.html

#21 9 years ago

Music, art, video, yadda yadda. There will be stuff on the playfield you've NEVER seen on a pin before!

#51 9 years ago

I think John went overboard with design, not having a short/hard corporate deadline or restrictive BoM. But is that a bad thing? (apart from wanting the game sooner!) The game will have great shots and ball movement--no worries there. The bright side is, we're no longer in the old B/W days where games had a short development schedule and had to ship with hard-coded software. Programming talent is out there and improvement updates are easy via usb etc. (e. g. woz, acdc, met...) So MG could be the "total jpop package." And RAZA looks to be in the same class too...

Good comments about the small run, which really limits profits. Expanding the run has been discussed and continues to be, but a big concern is keeping the original customers happy and their games 'special.' Nothing has been decided yet, but there are possibilities. Maybe for both games? Lots of things developing these days with the push to finish both titles.

#56 9 years ago
Quoted from gweempose:

If John is going to make more games than he originally claimed he would, then the original pre-order people need to be compensated in a major way. I'm not in on MG, but I am in on RAZA. If John were to suddenly say that he is making twice the amount of RAZAs, then I would expect a very large discount on the game. I just don't see any other logical way to address the issue.

Agree 100% and as I mentioned, John is VERY sensitive to keeping customers happy and really appreciates everyone (customers, vendors, volunteers, consultants) who have been supporting him. If either game had an expanded production run, there would be major (and deserved) compensation. Monetary discounts seem feasible for sure, based on the numbers alone. And I think making the original games as LEs with various unique features (artwork, toys) is a no-brainer. And maybe other goodies--original development artwork, priority/discounts on future titles, etc. Anything would be considered. And suggestions are always welcome! I'll be happy to forward any ideas to John, although he would probably contact all customers directly if/when this becomes a serious consideration.

From what I've seen, John has gone all-out on these 2 titles with never-before-seen toys, artwork, audio, design, etc. All without the 'corporate' limitations. Personally, I think it would be cool if everyone who wanted an MG or RAZA could get one. But the original customers did buy in to a very limited production. If things are changed, I hope it will be a win-win for all. Again, just sharing my personal thoughts here, and not speaking for John in any capacity at all here.

Quoted from pinballpete:

How would you prepurchase buys feel about some form of profit sharing in exchange for opening up the production numbers? You guys are essentially investors already. Would you prefer to keep the run to 20 or let it be 100 or more with a slice of the new games from here on out? I don't think JPOP would do this but just thought it was an interesting thought.
Another idea could be to give progressive discounts to original owners for each production threashold crossed.
$500 back after every 10 new games produced. If the run expanded to 100 that would be $5,000 back
The cost to JPOP would be $100,000 to pay back the initial ~20 prebuyers, but he will make ~$1.6 million more in total revenue. If I was an early buyer I would be happy to get such a big discount. And the community could enjoy an unlimited run of what looks to be an amazing game!

One thought I have (for MG in particular) is that the list price could certainly be dropped a fair amount if the run were expanded. That, plus LE status and an even further discount for the original customers seems to make sense financially, as the development cost could easily be spread over a much larger number of games. Again, just my personal thoughts here.

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider StevenP.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/john-popadiuks-magic-girl-blog-is-now-open?tu=StevenP and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.