(Topic ID: 120522)

John Popadiuk's Magic Girl blog is now open!

By Pinballfantexas

9 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 110 posts
  • 66 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 9 years ago by Star_Gazer
  • Topic is favorited by 20 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

image.jpg
image.jpg
image-424.jpg
image.jpg
There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.
#1 9 years ago

Since I'm sure not everyone is following the Jpop thread time to catch up with his blog and see his Magic Girl.

https://magicgirldev.wordpress.com/

Enjoy.

#2 9 years ago

that music is friggin great

#3 9 years ago

How many pinballs on the two images

image.jpgimage.jpg image-424.jpgimage-424.jpg
#4 9 years ago

That shouldn't be tilted, got the wrong link on the phone

#5 9 years ago

RAZA coming soon too, I think. And new info...

#6 9 years ago

Totan-ish looking

#7 9 years ago

Those leg bolts are going to do some serious damage to someone's leg.

image.jpgimage.jpg
#8 9 years ago

You know, for some reason I thought he was going to print these playfields CMYK, which was disappointing. But now I see the spot color key on the bottom of the playfield wood, and that's rad. These colors will pop like nothing you've seen in a long time.

John, letting the public in is a great idea, share what you're doing and feed off the good energy. And take any criticism as a chance to maybe improve, or hell, just ignore it if you like. That's just part of the territory.

The other thing I want to say is look at this, this is an unlicensed theme, and people are curious and excited. Why? Because the art is gorgeous. Because the theme is intriguing and cohesive. You don't need a license to attract people, but you've got to do it right.

#9 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

Luckily they aren't that sharp looking. The spikes I used on my Metallica Hammer of Justice mod were pretty damn sharp, I won't lie, I poked myself a couple times building those.

#10 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Luckily they aren't that sharp looking. The spikes I used on my Metallica Hammer of Justice mod were pretty damn sharp, I won't lie, I poked myself a couple times building those.

Glad to see some pics of Magic Girl

#11 9 years ago
Quoted from TomGWI:

image.jpg (Click image to enlarge)

I had the same thought when I saw them. But when I pushed my leg against them, hard, it was not an issue. They aren't sharp and don't 'catch.' And they do look cool. I think they may be available as a general mod for other games soon.

#12 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

You know, for some reason I thought he was going to print these playfields CMYK, which was disappointing. But now I see the spot color key on the bottom of the playfield wood, and that's rad. These colors will pop like nothing you've seen in a long time.
John, letting the public in is a great idea, share what you're doing and feed off the good energy. And take any criticism as a chance to maybe improve, or hell, just ignore it if you like. That's just part of the territory.
The other thing I want to say is look at this, this is an unlicensed theme, and people are curious and excited. Why? Because the art is gorgeous. Because the theme is intriguing and cohesive. You don't need a license to attract people, but you've got to do it right.

The cab art really looks like an original painting in person, that you want to hang on the wall or something. Direct printed too. And he has a framed version of the backglass in the studio--again, looks like wall-worthy artwork.

#13 9 years ago

Very nice!

#14 9 years ago

In case anyone misses it, the music and sound effects are pretty sweet too, imo. http://pinballinventor.org/games/magicgirl/preview/33/musicsfx.html

#15 9 years ago

Music, voices and sounds effects are excellent!

#16 9 years ago

...although what's he hiding? The bumper sound effect is error 404.

#17 9 years ago
Quoted from StevenP:

In case anyone misses it, the music and sound effects are pretty sweet too, imo. http://pinballinventor.org/games/magicgirl/preview/33/musicsfx.html

L O V E the power cords!

#18 9 years ago

Music is awesome. I'd buy the soundtrack!

#19 9 years ago

interesting musica

#20 9 years ago

Jpop is the f**king man.

#21 9 years ago

Music, art, video, yadda yadda. There will be stuff on the playfield you've NEVER seen on a pin before!

#22 9 years ago

Those colors on that pf and translite will look fantastic lit up with some UV purples, and a I agree the music is very fitting for the theme, yes a bit like TOTAN but it fits.

#23 9 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Yep, and I'd take it a step further, because I really love the music, sounds, and voice work samples that he has on the blog.

The artwork on the cabinet, backglass, and PF are just incredible!

#24 9 years ago

I sure hope this is as fun as it is pretty. Lots of cool stuff in there.

#25 9 years ago

Wow, that MG is going to be incredible.

#26 9 years ago

Wow, that artwork is amazing. Looks better than anything I've seen in a long time.

#27 9 years ago

This game is going to be damn near impossible to get isn't it?

#28 9 years ago
Quoted from rockotaco1:

Even if your a pre-order.

#29 9 years ago

sounds are very cool. lets hear some raza soon!

#30 9 years ago
Quoted from rockotaco1:

Umm, yeah that and after October 31 2011 the price went from $16K to $18K....... Perhaps $10K by Xmas 2020?

http://pinballhead.com/magic-girl-by-john-popadiuk/

#31 9 years ago

so, only 13 made? If all sold for 16k, thats only 200k, which seems about impossible to design, manufacture and code a game. Am I missing something here?

#32 9 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

so, only 13 made? If all sold for 16k, thats only 200k, which seems about impossible to design, manufacture and code a game. Am I missing something here?

I think he sold 19 which I read on the other Jpop post a minute ago.

#33 9 years ago

Game looks and sounds great so far!!

#34 9 years ago

Beautiful - Beautiful - Beautiful

JPOP is the crown jewel of pinball creation. He is the one who will be remembered~

#35 9 years ago

As a big audio guy, WOW! Amazing!! Begs to be subwoofered and CRANKED.

I really hope one of these will be built as a "show horse" to travel the show circuit so more than just a handful of people are able to experience this absolutely incredible creation.

Sure it would be great if JPop was more efficient, spent more time in a structured business environment and therefore had a more lengthy resume like some other designers have... but what if the Beatles only released Revolver, Sgt. Peppers and Abbey Road? Led Zep only released II, IV, and Physical Graffiti? Probably a lousy analogy, but hey, it's early.

Thanks so much for this thread! JPop is indeed the man. Wish I could afford more than just his most inexpensive title.

#36 9 years ago
Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

How many pinballs on the two images

Clearly, if this backglass is for sale, I am definitively in for one or two, and I guess I would not be the only one.

#37 9 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

I bet he easily moves this up to 50 units if not more........He would be a fool not to. There is no way he can produce this efficiently for less and he has to be out of money by now. You can protect the original backers to a degree by increasing the cost of entry. 50 games is still very rare. Given how amazing this game looks, people will line up. I am still left wondering......How does it play???

#38 9 years ago

... the production run for this game should be moved up to 100 at the very least... 100 is still very exclusive.... and god damn it i need to be one of those 100...

#39 9 years ago

Unlimited I say! Give the original guys a massive discount for being the early backers, get a project manager on board to help move the game to production (whether in house or contracted out) and go for it. Popaduik games for everybody!

#40 9 years ago

The 19 people who paid three years ago don't deserve to have it increased to 100 units after waiting all this time..

#41 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

The 19 people who paid three years ago don't deserve to have it increased to 100 units after waiting all this time..

What if that's the only way it can actually get done at all?

#42 9 years ago
Quoted from lllvjr:

As crazy as this sounds. From a business perspective, JPOP should give the original buyers two machines and open up the production. The development is where the costs were for this machine and essentially limiting the run insures a negative ROI. He just created what appears to be a masterpiece, he should find a way to make this work from every angle, i.e. Make original buyers happy, make his bank account happy and sell to the demand.

#43 9 years ago
Quoted from thedarkknight77:

As crazy as this sounds. From a business perspective, JPOP should give the original buyers two machines and open up the production. The development is where the costs were for this machine and essentially limiting the run insures a negative ROI. He just created what appears to be a masterpiece, he should find a way to make this work from every angle, i.e. Make original buyers happy, make his bank account happy and sell to the demand.

I agree. He first was introduced as someone "dedicated to keep the spirit of pinball alive". He seems to be going the wrong way of doing that. 12 or 20 machines, to collectors doesn't accomplish that goal. Maybe for the few people that actually get to see it, but not if you want to keep the spirit of pinball alive for the masses. Not only that, if he sinks his company by doing so, he can't keep that spirit alive, if he is broke.

#44 9 years ago
Quoted from forensicd:

It does seem impossible, maybe that's why we have yet to see a single one, much less 17.

#45 9 years ago

MG looks fantastic. It's a beautiful mix of Jpop's terrific trilogy: TOTAN, TOM and CV. The art is like CV, the theme is like TOM (which is set 300 years prior to TOM!) and it has some elements of TOTAN (Genie/Djinn).

I pray that Jpop can get his resources organized and crank out as many of these as he can.

#46 9 years ago

Has John opened the RAZA blog yet?

#47 9 years ago
#48 9 years ago
Quoted from epthegeek:

What if that's the only way it can actually get done at all?

John should take out a loan to cover the cost and make up the profits on rasa or something... But making 100 after taking 17k from 19 original people shouldn't be on the table... Not that it is

#49 9 years ago

In case you guys missed it in the blog, here's a link to the MG reveal site. Looks like a couple of the sections are still locked ...

http://pinballinventor.org/games/magicgirl/preview/33/bump.html

#50 9 years ago
Quoted from jlm33:

Clearly, if this backglass is for sale, I am definitively in for one or two, and I guess I would not be the only one.

How would the owners feel if John offered backglasses to sale to everyone? Like Whiz Bang did with Woah Nellie? I bet they'd be a nice little seller, be a great way to bring in some income, and promote the product at the same time.

And just because everyone could buy a backglass wouldn't get them the game.

Anyone who's paid in and has the right to a strong opinion on that have thoughts?

There are 110 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 3.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/john-popadiuks-magic-girl-blog-is-now-open and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.