(Topic ID: 22602)

John Popadiuk Fans

By markmon

11 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

You

Linked Games

No games have been linked to this topic.

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

IMG_1339.JPG
    IMG_1338.JPG
    IMG_1337.JPG
    alot.gif
    IMG_1336.JPG
    There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.
    #1 11 years ago

Finally got the whole collection and all fixed up. (I don't count SW EP1). I'm sure some of you purists will cringe at the LEDs, powder coating etc.

All the games are pretty well restored. Have full LED's + spotlights to brighten the playfield. Mirror blades, subs + backbox speaker replacements. All have toppers on the way but as you can see not here yet.

IMG_1336.JPGIMG_1336.JPG

#2 11 years ago

Great lineup, and I'd definitely would rather have IJ than SWE1.

#3 11 years ago

Awesome!

#4 11 years ago

u should post it on his facebook page, he usually reposts stuff like this
    https://www.facebook.com/john.popadiuk

#5 11 years ago
    Quoted from toyotaboy:

u should post it on his facebook page, he usually reposts stuff like this
    https://www.facebook.com/john.popadiuk

I emailed it to him. I am not too interested in facebook myself.

#6 11 years ago

They look great with all of them pc and led. I think it's all or none and that lineup looks awesome. TOM and CV especially stand out!

Noob here; but why not count SWE1? I know SW machines don't get a ton of love.

#7 11 years ago

I like it, I like it alot

alot.gifalot.gif

#8 11 years ago

I'm restoring Totan right now.

I will curse him every now and then for his complex playfield and ramp design. Great to look at and play. But to restore and shop takes lots of tools and time.

Can we get some pics of your totan.

What is your favorite ?

#9 11 years ago
    Quoted from Av8:

I'm restoring Totan right now.
    I will curse him every now and then for his complex playfield and ramp design. Great to look at and play. But to restore and shop takes lots of tools and time.
    Can we get some pics of your totan.
    What is your favorite ?

My favorite rotates a lot. Right now it's probably TOTAN. I like the quest aspect of the game. I'll snap some pics in a bit.

#10 11 years ago

Nice JPOP homage Mark!
    Aside from preorders on BHZA and PREDATOR, TOTAN is likely the last missing link in my collection. I guess I'd better get on that quest
    Actually going to look at one on Friday... It might just follow me home soon.

So, what was the last one to join the lineup?

#11 11 years ago

White looks good on wcs
    I can't think of another title white would look good on.

#12 11 years ago
    Quoted from Drano:

Nice JPOP homage Mark!
    Aside from preorders on BHZA and Predator, TOTAN is likely the last missing link in my collection. I guess I'd better get on that quest
    Actually going to look at one on Friday... It might just follow me home soon.
    So, what was the last one to join the lineup?

Most recent addition is the WCS. I think that game would be up there with the other three if it weren't a sports theme.

#13 11 years ago

Looks absolutely amazing.

#14 11 years ago

dude sweet collection! very jealous.

i know you anticipated the led backfire, so it begs the question...

don't you find it blinding? i mean, under the inserts it's beautiful, cuz it points out key shots. but the entire playfields?

-jon

#15 11 years ago
    Quoted from bigehrl:

dude sweet collection! very jealous.
    i know you anticipated the led backfire, so it begs the question...
    don't you find it blinding? i mean, under the inserts it's beautiful, cuz it points out key shots. but the entire playfields?
    -jon

My game room has very little ambient light. Just replacing the bulbs with LEDs gives a very bright insert. The GI led looks nice but it doesn't radiate light very well. This is why most led machines and pictures of them has a huge dark shadow area mid playfield. Anyways, this results in a huge contrast between light and dark. Makes it hard to track the ball and produces strobing. After adding all the LEDs, I add about 5 spotlights that brighten the entire playfield. It helps light everything, makes it easier to track the ball, and eliminates that big dark area in the middle of the playfield. Anyways, enough of my rant I guess.

#16 11 years ago

Nice! That white does look good on WCS. I've got the same 4 pins in my line-up, as I really like J-pop's designs.

#17 11 years ago

Nice collection! I am not an LED fan, but if you like them, that's what matters! Not what other people think!

I love J Pop's designs! Are all these games keppers for you? I have a TOTAN in the basement that I love. Unfortunately, it's not mine, LOL. My father in law has a WCS as well.

Enjoy the great lineup!! And I personally think SW:E! is not all that bad, but I think I am in the minority there.

Chris

#18 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

I add about 5 spotlights that brighten the entire playfield

Glad I'm not the only one, all my games (except TSPP) get spotlights added. Niiice lineup!

#19 11 years ago
    Quoted from herbertbsharp:

Glad I'm not the only one, all my games (except TSPP) get spotlights added. Niiice lineup!

Nice line up of JPOP games! Did u pre order a BHZA Mark?

I like that idea some playfields are dark as hell. Can you be more specific, where u got the parts, part number, any trick to install etc. thanks

#20 11 years ago

Great lineup. My favorites are CV and TOM. He is an imaginative designer and didn't seem to stick to one basic design. He is the king of bash toys though.

#21 11 years ago
    Quoted from Pdxmonkey:

White looks good on wcs
    I can't think of another title white would look good on.

It looks pretty great on a Whitewater!

#22 11 years ago

Pretty awesome line up, that's a whole lotta flow ya got there sir.

#23 11 years ago

totan and cv my favorite, had to make room for my xmen, so tom left the gameroom. J Pop edges out lawlor in my book. Nice lineup.

#24 11 years ago

I'd like some kinda of green color on the trim of my Shadow, any ideas?
    Nice work on this collection.

side note: I asked JP what game of his I should operate in a pinball arcade, he says none haha.

#25 11 years ago

Very nice! I have a CV and a WCS is on the way.

#26 11 years ago

I would love to see some pics of the mirror blades on CV if you have 'em. Cheers. Big JPOP fan

#27 11 years ago

Looks great! Would like to add CV to my lineup someday. Is that a Classic Sports air hockey table?

#28 11 years ago

Love JPOP titles, CV and TOTAN are very fun games. Would love a WCS someday, ToM is good but a hard keeper in a small collection. JPOP games have a special fun factor, elegance and beauty, fast and flowing but not non stop, great use of magnets and other tricks, mixed with a bit of zany, JPOP is da man!!

#29 11 years ago

Looks awesome!

#30 11 years ago

I'd like some kinda of green color on the trim of my Shadow, any ideas?
    Nice work on this collection.
    side note: I asked JP what game of his I should operate in a pinball arcade, he says none haha.

Shadow looks great in green.

IMG_1337.JPGIMG_1337.JPG

#31 11 years ago

nice lineup!!

#32 11 years ago

I would love to see some pics of the mirror blades on CV if you have 'em. Cheers. Big JPOP fan

The iPhone didnt do so well on these pics as everything has a purple tint but here we go anyway:

IMG_1338.JPGIMG_1338.JPG IMG_1339.JPGIMG_1339.JPG

#33 11 years ago
    Quoted from Redeyes:

Nice line up of JPOP games! Did u pre order a BHZA Mark?

Yes I did

Quoted from Redeyes:

I like that idea some playfields are dark as hell. Can you be more specific, where u got the parts, part number, any trick to install etc. thanks

You can get the spotlight assemblies at pinball life:
    http://www.pinballlife.com/index.php?p=product&id=294

I like to mount them on spacers:
    http://www.marcospecialties.com/control/keywordsearch?SEARCH_STRING=hex+spacers

As for wiring, you can wire them directly into a GI circuit, but if that GI circuit flashes a lot, you don't want them in that. On TOTAN and ToM, for example, the flashing GI makes the game really hard to play - especially with LEDs. So I ran a wire from the backbox GI where there is no flashing or CPU control and wired the spotlights to those. (Same with NGG, it flashes GI like crazy).

#34 11 years ago

Who did all your powder coating? Great looking lineup!...

#35 11 years ago
    Quoted from iceman44:

Who did all your powder coating? Great looking lineup!...

There's a local place here I get it all done. It's about $150 a machine for coin door, legs, side rails, lockdown bar, and plunger housing usually with a 1-2 day turn around. I'm sure you could find a similar place in your local yellow pages. I found several and went with the first one I called.

#36 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

There's a local place here I get it all done. It's about $150 a machine for coin door, legs, side rails, lockdown bar, and plunger housing usually with a 1-2 day turn around. I'm sure you could find a similar place in your local yellow pages. I found several and went with the first one I called.

Sounds like a good price. Did you have to sandblast or do any prep to the parts before you dropped them off?

#37 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisVW:

Sounds like a good price. Did you have to sandblast or do any prep to the parts before you dropped them off?

Stern parts need to be blasted to get the old powder off. Chrome, stainless (anything off williams machines) do not. The coin doors need to be dismantled. They're painted not powdered so coin doors do not need to be blasted either.

#38 11 years ago
    Quoted from markmon:

Stern parts need to be blasted to get the old powder off. Chrome, stainless (anything off williams machines) do not. The coin doors need to be dismantled. They're painted not powdered so coin doors do not need to be blasted either.

Looks great! What did you use to paint the door, Testers and an airbrush or did the powder coating place do it?

#39 11 years ago
    Quoted from ChrisVW:

Looks great! What did you use to paint the door, Testers and an airbrush or did the powder coating place do it?

Sorry, there's a misunderstanding. What I meant to say is that the coin doors are painted from the factory not powder coated from the factory. So the powder coaters can strip it in shop without sandblasting it first. The coindoors in those pictures are all disassembled and powder coated.

#40 11 years ago

Nice line there man. I think wcs94 is his best work. All of them are great but man i love me some wcs94.

#41 11 years ago

Thanks for the pics.

My CV will be getting some Blades for sure. How is the fit w/ the playfield? Any scratches or problems to report? Where did u get yours from?

#42 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tweedlefuzz:

Thanks for the pics.
    My CV will be getting some Blades for sure. How is the fit w/ the playfield? Any scratches or problems to report? Where did u get yours from?

The chrome ones I only get at PDI because they're very shiny and mirror-like from there. The playfield didn't seem overly tight. Regarding mirror blades and scratches - it's not quite the big deal you might think. A few light scratches are hardly noticeable and still looks tons better than not having them.

#43 11 years ago

Thanks.... just ordered them lol. How was the install? Did you use screws or what? Playfield can stay in i assume?

My CV is going the Chrome/Color changers route w/ Chrome lock down bars and side rails/ legs all ready installed. Also CC on the shooter rod/ under cab and laseriffic topper. A tad blasphemous i know but who cares, LED's are non permanent.

I love the look you gave to your pins. Great job! I my have to send you some things to powder coat!

Hell of a line up....

#44 11 years ago
    Quoted from Tweedlefuzz:

Thanks.... just ordered them lol. How was the install? Did you use screws or what? Playfield can stay in i assume?
    My CV is going the Chrome/Color changers route w/ Chrome lock down bars and side rails/ legs all ready installed. Also CC on the shooter rod/ under cab and laseriffic topper. A tad blasphemous i know but who cares, LED's are non permanent.
    I love the look you gave to your pins. Great job! I my have to send you some things to powder coat!
    Hell of a line up....

I don't like the screws that he sends. I bought a box of 100 #4 1/2" screws and use those. I have installed 25 sets of the blades in my machines now . A couple strips of tape on top, pop the screws in on bottom when done. Playfield does not need to be removed. Just rest it in its rails and slide the blades in.

#45 11 years ago
    Quoted from jpop:

nice lineup!!

The man himself chimes in and nobody notices?!

#46 11 years ago
    Quoted from RobT:

The man himself chimes in and nobody notices?!

He also put it on his fb page.

#47 11 years ago
    Quoted from rommy:

He also put it on his fb page.

I know.

#48 11 years ago

Very sweet! That ToM looks really solid

#49 11 years ago

Great lineup I have TOTAN and TOM and they are favorites at all my pinball parties and with my family. My wife and kids consider these my keepers. I had WCS94 but tired of it and had to sell it.

#50 11 years ago
    Quoted from jpop:

nice lineup!!

Thanks to you!

There are 59 posts in this topic. You are on page 1 of 2.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/john-popadiuk-fans and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.