(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #928 Oktoberfest initial release pics and rule card pic Posted by PinballSTAR (5 years ago)

Post #1686 Updated (final?) Oktoberfest cabinet art Posted by HOOKED (5 years ago)

Post #1954 Link to 3/1/19 streaming video Posted by chuckwurt (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zablon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#784 5 years ago
Quoted from mbwalker:

DeadFlip starts at 8:30 CST? Do you need a subscription?

No, you can view it without signing in

#788 5 years ago

I like what I saw so far

#809 5 years ago

Looks like it is starting

#895 5 years ago
Quoted from ForceFlow:

Layout, gameplay, and artwork look good to me with this initial reveal. Can't wait to see it at a northeast show
The main thing that bothered me was the amount of metal music. That's not the kind of music that usually gets played at the Oktoberfests I've been to... Anyone know if there's an option to reduce the metal and increase the polkas?

LOL. I was saying the opposite. I was like "that polka is going to get old", but then heard more metalish-polka.

#1008 5 years ago

Interesting comments on the art and music. The only thing I didn't like about it was the LCD animations - or the LCD in general. Just not a fan of that current fad on machines. For most, they just feel tacked on and incomplete. I miss the simpler and more creative DMD days.

The music I can understand would turn some people off, but there IS polka in there, just not constantly. Some of that metal also had accordians playing along with the guitar, so I don't think it is a total miss.

Ultimately though, gameplay and fun factor is the biggest thing to me. I can completely put the art and music out of focus if the game is good.

#1017 5 years ago
Quoted from Shapeshifter:

What is the thinking of a pretty woman with a moustache? Can't see many males or females liking that....

Well if you watch the posted video it talks about the art direction and that there's a bunch of 'hidden things'. I don't know all the details of the festival, but my guess is it is common costume. I think it is supposed to be painted on, just hard to see in that photo.

#1046 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

LCD screens are not a fad, and DMD is not coming back.
Some of you need to get over this.

Let's face it, the direction of LCD's so far is...less than stellar. It's not about DMD coming back, it's about that currently for the most part, the LCD direction looks cheap and unfinished (in the majority of games it is in). Sure it probably costs them more on the licensing side for clips of movies, etc -- but to me, those are cheap and easy and is a big turn off for many of the newer games. He stated it just like one would assume, LCD animations are the bottom of his list of important. I would agree - however the backglass/screen is a major part of the game. DMD's while they may seem low tech by today's standard allowed for more for less. Dialed In is one of the few pins where I think it actually fits and looks good. Probably just the old school in me, and just an opinion, but we can do without the "just get over it" comments.

#1052 5 years ago

Anyway - I think this game looks fun. Can't wait to try it out.

#1088 5 years ago
Quoted from kvan99:

The real question is can we change the music ourselves sort of like on Stern games or not?

Honestly with today's tech, this should just be a standard possibility on EVERY new pinball machine.

The 1 handed flipper buttons is awesome and I can't believe no one did this before. Does it have beer proofing on the glass seams?

#1099 5 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

What’s the 1 handed flipper button ?

The right side of the cab has 2 flipper buttons. You can set it so that you can play the game from just those 2 buttons and hold your beer with the other.

What I am not sure about is that since it has 2 user activated magnets as well, how they incorporated that to work with that setting....maybe hitting both buttons at the same time?

#1229 5 years ago

I don't know....I think this will do really well in bars (at least in the US). You can usually not even hear the sound in bars anyway and because they tend to be dark you won't really see the fine details on the artwork.

They need to add a drinking game mode to it though. Player 1 'does this' - Player 2 TAKE A DRINK!

#1325 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I keep seeing comments like this, are the bars where people live actually full of pinball machines? Because outside of barcades I've never been in a bar with a pin. It's not the '80s anymore.
Are we done discussing Oktoberfest? Turned into the ACDC (my fault I guess) Hobbit and Thunderbirds thread.
Who played it at Expo? Someone want to give some more hands on impressions? How it plays feels like the most interesting part of the game.

Yea, most of the bars and/or pizza places have a couple pinball machines around here.

2 weeks later
#1551 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Can't believe he hasn't weighed in until now...
https://www.captiongenerator.com/1165422/Hitler-is-informed-about-Oktoberfest-Pinball
*Humor-impaired should not click this link, it's just for fun.

OMG I'm snorting over here. These things are always so good.

#1557 5 years ago

Typo maybe? Bug out is the term I'm familiar with.

#1568 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Its springtime for Hitler in Germany.... it was totally wrong, but, yes, I had to laugh. You can’t help yourself. If you have ever seen one of those re-capped Hitler memes, you can not help but watch and laugh. And it hit a tone that I actually agree with... some sex is fine in Pinball, but this means you might start seeing the trouser trout make an appearance and I’m not sure how alpha males are going to react to that. Chippendales Pinball Adventure will surely be close behind... Are all you guys macho enough in your maleness to play that machine? What do women think of playing a Playboy Playmate draped machine? Just food for thought. The comment about the circus freak barmaid on the side art?? Yep, shot my beer all over the ipad...

Hey, so many people say theme doesn't matter if a pin is fun to play. ...but then again what if the plunger was a penis?

#1574 5 years ago
Quoted from JWJr:

Wow, this topic has gotten weird, even for here...

slow week.

1 week later
#1595 5 years ago

I miss the hairy little person with a prehinsile tail.

1 week later
#1653 5 years ago

I never realized Oktoberfest was a widebody before.

#1655 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

I dont think it is a widebody???
Ferrett,Rosh,Barry???

Look at the pic next to the Houdinis.

#1658 5 years ago

The camera is adding 100lbs.

#1663 5 years ago

So you're saying Wierd Al is out?

4 weeks later
#1715 5 years ago

I feel this game makes fun of old fat drunks. I'm offended.

11 months later
#4100 4 years ago

Re coding: This is exactly why I think the whole 'locking down the code' thing is anti productive to the companies. There are people out there who are probably better coders who would do aftermarket tweaks and finish unfinished code for free and better (no offense). While yes, there are some possible downsides to it, as there is with everything - in the end if the code can be updated/changed in a way it could increase the longevity of said game and it would be up to whoever owns the game to decide what version they want. I've never understood the whole proprietary code and hiding of code on these things. Especially as fast as they try to put them out unfinished and the consumer having to hope it is finished and that updates will actually come out. This is almost 2020 and the internet. Anything is possible. Embrace the fact there are hobbyists out there who can enhance what has already been created.

#4109 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Who do people call when the game doesn't work? It doesn't matter what the arrangement is.. they call the manufactuer.
Who does the licenser hold accountable when the terms of the agreement aren't enforced? The manufacturer...
What do you do when the game with your logo and name on it starts to be used in a way you don't support?
How much more work do you need to invest in the product to make the code base workable by others?
How much of your investment do you want to freely share with others that could take that work and apply it to other projects?
There are lots of reasons real commercial activities don't open up their code. And software licenses may give people a legal footing to protect their work from re-use, but its really hard to put the genie back in the bottle once the code is out there. And generally whenever you work with licensing or third parties, they want THEIR works protected too..
How many real contributors do you think would be out there for these proprietary software platforms? half dozen? If the companies needed help that bad, they could easily contract someone in, and get all the benefits with far less risks/negatives.

Um...did you miss the part about loading whatever code? This is easy, you only support the official code... It's not rocket science. But yes, I do understand the protecting of code, I've just never agreed with how it is applied. As for how many? Hard to say, it's a 'love of the art' type scenario. Really no different than any other version of the same thing. No shortage of examples out there in multiple hobbies. In reality, especially in something like this, it is an archaic practice that stunts growth.

Don't misunderstand me, it's a minor thing overall. Just something I've noticed that is pretty common in the digital age that is lacking here.

#4115 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Talk about a troubleshooting nightmare. Maybe once the last pin shipped is out of warranty.

Well yea, that was really my point. I meant long term, not release day.

#4122 4 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

My feeling about the open-source-in-pinball debate is that the "sweet spot" is somewhere between totally open and totally closed. I'm pretty happy with a game like Oktoberfest. Basically, as a home user, an "enthusiast", I like a pinball game that I can "tweak" and work on myself, with a number of settings I can customize, user-updateable software, and some combination of standard pinball parts and unique parts. I wouldn't expect pinball companies to open up their games much more than that (surrendering their intellectual property and/or leaving themselves vulnerable to litigation).
There's something else I've observed about "openness" in pinball: the pinball community at large is capable of producing a ton of crap and a few nuggets of good stuff. Take Pinsound for example. I have one. It's a real marvel. You can totally replace the sound in a pinball machine. Problem is, in my opinion, aside from improved fidelity, none of the "community" generated sound mixes are nearly as good as the original music/callouts created by people like Chris Granner, David Thiel and others. Another observation has to do with virtual pinball. Visual Pinball X is amazing. However, my opinion again, community created virtual pinball tables (originals and re-creations) are nowhere near as high-quality or fun as the commercial tables from Farsight and Zen.

I don't even think there is a debate, just me with an observation.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider zablon.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin?tu=zablon and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.