(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #928 Oktoberfest initial release pics and rule card pic Posted by PinballSTAR (5 years ago)

Post #1686 Updated (final?) Oktoberfest cabinet art Posted by HOOKED (5 years ago)

Post #1954 Link to 3/1/19 streaming video Posted by chuckwurt (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider viggin900.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#2511 5 years ago

Thanks for listening Team AP! I think the sequence played when entering a tent of an Oktoberfest tent needs cleaned up. This is my favorite part and most authentic to Oktoberfest. I would like to see more of that! Not sure if it was blurred on purpose for rights etc? Also the left pinblade of the brewery sold with the machine is way to dark and all brown. I'ts hard to make out what it is. Something bright and festive like the right side to match would be a better balance? The Eurothrash music is whats holding me back. Be honest if you stick with the theme and played live music from an Oktoberfest tent with polka,cheering,mugs banging, bench stomping,and whistling by the crowd it would be a hit! Notice when that sequence of the tent and music comes on in the feeds the reaction of players bopping up and down getting in the mood just craving a beer. Oktoberfest is probably the best theme I can think of for a game but is let down by music and potential sound effects for call outs. Spend a few hours at Hofbrauhaus on a busy night and you get the drift. It's almost there bust lacks Gemutlichkeit!

#2527 5 years ago

Being a CGI artist myself for a global company I don't think the animations can be improved without scrapping them. I wouldn't have used CGI at all for this application and instead run video clips of the crowd around tents with some After Effects to add signage. I'm sure there are great videos out there. Also we do the weiner dog race here at Zinzinnati which would work as well. Much cheaper,quicker than building and animating all the stuff going on? No one can complain either. I played this game atleast 20 times and can't believe "Ein Prosit" is not sung or mentioned for call outs or a wizard mode? Bands are required to play this every hour at any Oktoberfest. Sicky socky hoy hoy hoy! The game play and deep rule set are probably one of the best, may surpass Simpsons Pinball Party?

SmartSelect_20190406-212314_Chrome (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20190406-212314_Chrome (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20190406-212457_Chrome (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20190406-212457_Chrome (resized).jpg
1 week later
#2704 5 years ago

I have heard a few people complain about the game being sort of slow. I agree but it doesn't bother me at all because I like video games etc. However if there was a way to make the code so it is "optional"to have Otto and the tents select randomly for you to pick up the pace it would be cool! This would appeal to the steve Ritchie fans,add another variable for home owners to change things up, and I can see this fun in the adult version where perhaps Otto is drunk while making the selections.

#2734 5 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

I'm a huge fan of Oktoberfest, great theme, great layout, the tents, the steins for the rules, the locks, the ramps (especially the drop down ramp) and the magnets. It is obvious a lot of thought and effort were put into this game (unlike say, moving a bash toy and magnet around) In my opinion, ya nailed it. Its just the guitar and cymbals stand out so much. Perhaps going for a Rammstein type of German music? I dunno. For the main theme it feels heavy for a celebratory game like Oktoberfest. It would fit great for a hurry up mode but its just in your face (ears). Thankfully the music in the modes is perfect. Again major kudos for going for a theme like this, not many games have caught my attention like this one. Good work.

I agree, I'm getting used to it watching all the streams online but its too prevalent. I say keep it but more limited to a mode or something. Everyone has there own taste but I like keeping to the theme. "We need more cowbell" the short spurts of it get muddled in and drowned out very quickly. I love that cowbell song at oktoberfest and would be great to last during the whole duck shot mode. Also there is no yodeling! That song from the Price is Right would be priceless for another tent mode.

#2761 5 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

This thread is too quiet. Main theme upgrade

10 hours! Haha, never gets old. I can see the cuckoo call playing after the ball drains.

#2780 4 years ago

Funny I was thinking I wanted a shaker but haven't seen this knocker? If anyone has a video of its use please post. Thanks

#2799 4 years ago

Wait a second. What has happened to the bumper car pop bumpers since LAX? This one has tie dye?

#2803 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Read through all the threads. They were removed. One or more interfered with the balls going by.
LTG : )

No, the figures riding the bumper cars were removed,not the cars themselves. Some people mentioned a mod for the cars. The pop bumper decoration is an american pinball trademark I thought like Houdini. This looks like a stern now?

#2805 4 years ago

Thanks, makes a big difference in the feel of the game after seeing regular bumpers. Hope AP continues doing this feature as a signature.

2 weeks later
#2906 4 years ago

Hurricane had the original ducks!

20190425_232226 (resized).jpg20190425_232226 (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#3080 4 years ago

Thanks for posting a pinstadium picture finally. I thought this all along but hadn't seen any examples. Yes this game has some dark areas without it. Its a must when I get mine.

2 weeks later
#3195 4 years ago

I can't seem to find the adjustment for the shaker in the settings?

2 weeks later
#3249 4 years ago

I plan on buying pinstadium for mine after saving up. The playfield is very dark in front of the barrel and all the great artwork cant be seen. Thats the only way I see illuminating it evenly. I also plan to scroll animate them down the strip with yellow and white like a beer being poured during certain hits.

#3275 4 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I guess that sounded too good to be true! Kaneda was speculating that sales were slow and therefore the Fest was being discounted.

Never believe a word that idiot says. He also thinks the game stinks but a pin about a chocolate factory is the golden ticket. Wrong oompah, the polka oompah version is better.

#3300 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

First, why are there three distinct posts on Oktoberfest? Can we all just agree this one is the “club” since it has the most history?
Second, I found a new place for the ball to get stuck tonight. I am actually completely surprised my this one, but it needed the glass lifted for sure![quoted image]

I had that happen to me last week, they may want to come up with something for that spot?

#3318 4 years ago

Is there a good tutorial or stream out there on the rules? I still can't figure out stuff like lighting the tent etc? I guess when the code is finished it would make sense. This game is pretty deep and would love a good tutorial like they do on pinball arcade. Something for everyone to reference for owners and tournaments.

#3321 4 years ago

I just installed the new version,rebooted and I am pretty sure it was on main screen? than I installed the custom.png i wanted for the attract screen. Rebooted and now it keeps cycling through the boot screen over and over and this message in between? I cant play the game?

20190727_131148 (resized).jpg20190727_131148 (resized).jpg
#3324 4 years ago

Thx, I erased the message. It worked after rebooting several times. Fine now. Not sure what happened? Love the new version. Bumper car in non family is funny! Lightshow is great and the new festgrounds really ties in the theme better and otto's bar.
Only thing I noticed is I had a jackpot after the balls had drained from BB multiball. Long delay? Some shaker while riding the looper would b nice like the corkscrew. Well done! The new music makes me feel like Im in Munich!

1 week later
#3360 4 years ago

The new code is fantastic! Thanks. One thing no one has mentioned is Rockin express. Its not very "rockin". When I accomplish the outer lanes nothing happens and almost wonder if it is even registering? A nice zingy lightshow like the ride would be nice here so I feel satisfied or a rollercoaster full of people sound like in Hurricane? Keep up the great work!

1 week later
#3398 4 years ago

As they say " no news is good news" . I really love how you have developed this game in just the past 6 months! I would be nick picking at this point but if you wanted a couple ideas on how to amp this game up on the next update.
There are 2 songs missing from any "American Oktoberfest" that would be fun.
"Roll out the barrels! "
Maybe beer barrel multiball?
"Pennsylvania polka" always brings laughter in memory of Ground hog day!
When the cuckoo sounds to warn before the end of tent time maybe a cuckoo clock animation on the screen? That would be cool!

#3401 4 years ago

Thanks Erik! Oktoberfest festivals start next week around Cincinnati and go till first week of October so I'm going to be busy schuhplattlering. I'm setting a date for everyone to come over for brats and beer to play this pin.Oktoberfest is my favorite seasonal event, even over Christmas!

One more thing this game could use that owners with kids would love. The chicken dance song! Maybe the knocker or shaker kicks in during the clapping part? That would be something.Hahaha

3 weeks later
#3475 4 years ago

Can someone tell me what length shooter rod is in Oktoberfest? I want to try and make one with a beer tap handle. Thanks.

#3478 4 years ago

Thank you! I never pulled one out and am going to buy a new one so I dont mess up the original. Not sure how its going to turn out but will let you know. New topper pictures coming tomorrow!

#3480 4 years ago

Anyone chime in if you agree or disagree, but the beer barrel lock on this game needs to be made easier by a stein or something else! We all know that ramp is not as smooth as we would want and its luck to get it in, it is what it is. But just to get the lock light to even get a chance to get a ball in is frustrating. If its going to be hard to make the ramp then atleast make it easier to lock the ball. Sure just light PROST. Sounds easy but when there is all the other stuff going on like tents,food,Oktoberfest,mystery,and tent its too much to handle. The barrel takes up 15% of the playfield and thats why people at bars drop quarters in,but if they cant get it in easier than forget it. I have owned this game for 3 months, I am dead middle in my pin league. I have barrel lock set to keep. I always play until I get a Beer barrel multiball. Tonight it took 1.5 hours? Thats crazy.

#3491 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I'm a bit hesitant to reply since I'm biased, but the Beer Barrel shot is absolutely not luck. It's not an easy shot, but it's definitely not luck. When I'm playing for fun (as opposed to testing something-or-other) I usually make it a few times per game. IMHO shots from a MagNab are MUCH easier.
Pro tip: any shot up the Beer Barrel ramp spots a PROST letter. This happens before evaluating the lock. This means that if you have just 4 of the PROST letters lit, a shot up the Beer Barrel will award a lock.
Double pro tip: a left orbit -> Beer Barrel ramp combo spots two PROST letters. Again, this happens before evaluating the lock. This means that if you have just 3 of the PROST letters lit, a left orbit -> Beer Barrel shot will award a lock.
If you're having problems shooting the Beer Barrel ramp, check the coil strength of the upper flipper. You want it at default strength or maybe a notch or two higher. Setting it too strong will actually make it harder to make the shot.

Yeah, "luck" wasn't the best word to use there.
Its hard as heck though and the barrel lock light just ads to the difficulty. In hindsight if there wasn't a barrel lock light at all made for this game people wouldnt complain. I always play till I get barrel multiball which is 45-55 minutes. If there was no light it would be 30-45 which makes more sense. I had several games that went 6 min and no barrel light? Thanks for the strategy tips! I didnt know about the orbit.

#3497 4 years ago

It takes me several games that go on 45min plus till I finally get all 3 balls in the barrel, with the balls set to keep between games. Thats too long for an average player and my pin is set up fine. I don't usually get the lock is lit till end of ball 2 or 3. With having to light oktoberfest for the coaster and other things going on at the same time waiting for a ball lock to light is way to hard. Perhaps its a strategy thing? I'll start keeping track and see if it is similiar to everyone else.

#3510 4 years ago
Quoted from kidchrisso:

To those playing the game and complaining about the BB lock. I just played 4 games and hit it 7 times. It is at the tip of the flipper and is easiest to hit when the magnet releases the ball. It is NOT like Dialed In where the ramp is the middle of the flipper.. It take some practice, the game is not easy to blow up period! Stop whining and practice

Not complaining about getting the ball into the beer barrel? I'm complaining about how difficult it is on top of that getting the lock is lit before getting it into the barrel.

1 week later
#3557 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

After maybe 80 plays I had a 900k score, finally, briefly hit the barrel, and all is good. Finally had a corkscrew multiball. 641k was from juggling, I was on my game then, and had 3 balls last a long time.
The T in TAP is not working at all, and for that I am not even opening up the game. I was looking for something different, something outside the normal, and this is it, this game is AWESOME!

Haha! Congrats, have me beat. Just in time too. Happy Oktoberfest!

#3563 4 years ago

I have never bought that complaint about the theme Oktoberfest.
Ok, elvira,haunted house, dracula etc aren't halloween?
As for original themes versus license. Most of the classics are like whitewater and whirlwind to name a few.

#3602 4 years ago

The Oktoberfest party with the league this weekend was great! I got out my old game of Fingerhakeln to play. Everyone had to try their strength to pull the weight as far as they could using 1 finger. Now if you really want to come out with a mod to sell in which a player can pull the plunger with resistance and it measures it on the screen I'd buy that for $$.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Finger_pulling
20190914_170000 (resized).jpg20190914_170000 (resized).jpg

#3628 4 years ago

Yes, I cant wait to hear about the next game after Oktoberfest is over,of course I hope it never ends. The care that AP puts into the product makes me interested in buying another.

#3635 4 years ago
Quoted from CreepyTom:

Are there any secrets or ideas on how to hit the 2 left ramps on this game?
I put a good 2 hours on it yesterday and after a while did nothing but concentrate on hitting those 2 shots. I came away with a total of 5 successful ramp hits combined in 2 hours of play. I was using the magnet a lot but it didn’t seem to put the ball directly on the flipper. It seems my best success was hitting it when the ball had a lot momentum like when it would fly around the orbit or down the right inlane. The game I was playing had the July code update. I loved the game and would consider getting one if I those shots were just a little less frustrating. Any help would be appreciated.

I've owned this game for months and still can't consistantly make it. I usually get 3 balls locked after an hour. Don't look at it as a reason to not buying the game, it's turned into a reason why I keep coming back and challenging for me.

#3666 4 years ago

I'm installing pinstadium lights and wonder what you recommend for the flasher connection 4v-24v? Apparently the shaker is the most common for these but it rarely goes off except for roller coaster. Is there anything for beer barrel lock or vox?

#3682 4 years ago

For Rockin Express have you tried the shaker for that mode in the next code? I was thinking it would make sense plus people who have pinstadiums hooked up to it for the flasher it would be a favorite tent to enter!

#3686 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

How does the PinStadium interact with that tent? Or with the game overall, for that matter?

Pinstadium has a feature for a flash uv/glow. Although its not ideal for this game since there is nothing to glow it is a flashing effect that this game lacks to Metallica or Attack from Mars. I dont think it needs a flasher but would be nice to use it since its there. Rollercoaster, rockin express, or quak targets. To trigger it everyone is connecting to the shaker or connector since there isn't any flashers on the game. I heard 3 pinstadiums were installed by customers this week on Oktoberfest so its a popular mod. I bought it to cut off the glare and brighten the field.

#3694 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

So if anyone from American Pinball or any players are interested in knowing what this idea is, I'd like to share it... but obviously if there's no interest, then it would be pretty pointless I suppose writing a lengthy description... I personally think it would improve the game's long-term play appeal a lot... I'm talking 2 yeras down the road when players have established their ideal stein/mode choice strategy...

I don't know how they could ever fix that but apparently on the list is a game play option that Otto randomly selects a stein for you changing it up everytime you play. I don't think there is much of a linear path as far as steins because if I change it up from the norm I find my self scoring other stuff that helps out in a situation. A random pick tent option also would change it up for home users.

#3701 4 years ago

Yeah 3 steins of the outlane ball save is my favorite goodey!

#3725 4 years ago

This did cross my mind, and it would certainly be a another way to do it... it would make it more clear to the player which tents he'd have access to of course... and I'd definitely be very happy if AP did it this way... obviously... the only reason I suggested having one blinking light (or slowly pulsing) is that I see the light as a way of pinpointing the position of the player in the festival, and he can only be at one place... the tents he can enter are intuitively close to where he is the way they are suggested in my long post, and I think the player would quickly get the hang of which tents he can enter based on where he is... pinball players tend to pick things up quite quickly I think!
So, one question to American Pinball: is there a teeny tiny glimmer of a chance this mode tweak might be considered... how hard would it be? It would be a 'mechanism' for mode selection that I've not seen before in any other pinball that would aptly suit this game with there being a map of tents... and it would eliminate the 'well trodden path' effect that players might gravitate towards...

I just don't get it? Sounds like you have the entire game figured out with one path to take. Would you mind sharing it with us?

#3740 4 years ago

I'm having a problem with the coin door open menu, it won't go away?
Also the nuts that hold on the plastic cover to the high voltage won't go back on like a one way use? Who thought of this? It should be so simple. Is this why Im getting a coin door message? I had to cram a plastic screw in to hold it. There is no way they can be reused?

20190930_211302 (resized).jpg20190930_211302 (resized).jpg
#3742 4 years ago

Fixed,loose wire from the door switch.

#3743 4 years ago

Not sure how to reply to this... I tried to explain my concern as accurately as possible... the concern is that several years down the line, when I've played the game x 100 times I can well imagine that there will be a pattern to the mode selections based on experience... I haven't owned the game for 5 years yet, so I can't say what that ideal route will be... there's also the benefit of feeling more connectedcl with the festival because you'll see where you are wandering around the tents... 5 years down the road American Pinball will be tweaking codes to other games and Oktoberfest will be a blast from the past... they'll be less interested in possible ways to polish the game then... I'm merely looking to the future... like I say, this game looks so awsome that I'm planning to keep it... for more than 5 years...
My suggestion seems to have wound you up a bit... I'm sincerely sorry about that...

No,no, just what was wondering what the best path is, I havn't figured it out yet. It seems it changes depending on the scenario like they said which is what I'm working on now. I think focusing more on the ducks may help my game out more.
Funny,anyone had this happen? The first day I got the game my friend Bobukat and I set the highest scores I have yet to beat. We didn't know what we were doing? Crazy.

1 week later
#3822 4 years ago

He doesn't even play pinball deeply enough to understand a game or playability, just critiques everything like the art classes I took in college. Funny if Oktoberfest is the worst game theme coming from someone who bought a Magic Girl?

1 week later
#3884 4 years ago

AP, on the next title or code update, the score bar on the top of the screen should be placed at the bottom of the screen so it is easier to see while playing. LCD screens are still new to the game of pinball and over the years details like this will be perfected.

#3888 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Why do you find it easier to see the scoreboard on the bottom of the screen?

It makes perfect sense. To me the score is more important information than the animations while playing. Having it on the bottom closer to the playfield they are in my line of sight. There really isnt a reason they should be on top? If you test it out I bet people would agree.

#3897 4 years ago

I like Ocktoberfest so much I just sold a AC/DC to grab a NIB Houdini also. Whatever your 3rd title is I am all in on it also.

The next title is going to be a sequel called Mayfest, Pinball Uncorked. It has a similar mech as the barrel but the balls swirl around in a wooden looking tub like grape stomping. I think the delay is getting the music rights from Ryan Adams, Billy Joel and UB4O.

#3919 4 years ago

The update is impressive! Thank you. The game feels like it has more of a story to tell with the added characters. I'm especially glad the roller coaster animation was changed, that was a hard one to make look cool. The angled view is what makes it. Only problem is now the barrel lock looks shabby compared to it. Could do something like the coaster but instead of balls going into the barrel...monkeys. Barrel of monkeys!

SmartSelect_20191031-211955_Chrome (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20191031-211955_Chrome (resized).jpg
#3933 4 years ago

I finally had a chance to play many games on the new code and I am starting to feel like I am really at Oktoberfest!
The open bar door is too easy to get into now but thats fine I guess for game progression or location.
Are the flipper positions the same on stein race? Is there an option to reverse them? I would think the top should be the left.
The steins that I have picked up are hard to tell since the tag is the same color. The red before was nice or slightly gray out ones not chosen yet.
I've owned this game for 6 months and still havnt gotten to food coma. Maybe I'll dumb down the setting but I think its on easy already. Friend of mine did it once when I wasn't in the room.
After making the Rockin Express shot a fast light pattern on the playfield similiar to the volume levels in the animation would feel satisfactory.
For the Tilt animation in adult mode instead of the mugs can we see some jiggling of you know what behind the tray? Like Airplane!
Thanks for the update, Oktoberfest is now Gemutlichkeit!

#3935 4 years ago

Tilt warning animation and Otto says "she's starting to shimmy" LOL

#3938 4 years ago

In my opinion, if more people had a chance to put 50 plays on this game in a home setting, 20 thousand games would be purchased, or more.
With the latest code update, in my opinion this is the most complete, easy to understand, and most fun game ever.
And I still have never made the beer barrel multi ball, got close a few times, but that is on me. I am not that great of a player. The power is turned up, the flipper rubber has been changed, and sometimes I make that shot so nice and pretty, and that shows me it can be done, I am just not good enough to hit it often enough. And it does not bother me one bit, because this game is just so damn fun with so much to do, I see it as one shot that is tough, and with so many other shots and things to do I care less.
I am so glad I purchased this game, and I did for 3 reasons. (I have to purchase anything sight unseen because no where to play in my area). The 3 reasons were comments on Pinside, I seen first hand how AP is here interacting, and the 3rd reason was my distributor spoke highly of AP and was wishing them well. He actually has a Houdini in his collection and he slightly tried to talk me into that, but I was set on Okt. After picking this Okt up and seeing how awesome it is I did sell another game and picked up a Houdini also. Houdini is very damn awesome, and will most likely never leave my collection, but I do still favor Okt a tad more so far. Okt will never leave my collection.
Unless AP decides to just do something weird like make a EM game or something I am all in on their 3rd game.
In my opinion it will be hard for them to make a game better than they did with Okt, but at the same time I think they can pull it off. The guys at AP seems pretty damn awesome.

Most of us agree, glad you picked an Oktoberfest up. I too am interested in whats next. I'll miss the originality the first 2 have but a fan layout with flow is what they need next to appeal to everyone. Still people out there that think they play clunky so they'll have to dumb it down for them.

#3940 4 years ago

I agree and gave you a thumbs up except for this. They do not need to appeal to everyone, their games kick ass with their own way of thinking and making games.
In my opinion the more they can stay away from fan layout and flow, in the end the better they will do.
PEACE!

My thoughts exactly!

2 weeks later
#4013 4 years ago

Something I noticed when I play the food stand is the auto magnasave on the right loop grabs the ball everytime and robs me of calories. I am still trying to get a coma. It should be disingaged during food stand.

#4022 4 years ago
Quoted from rcb5588:

Does anyone else have an issue when they hit the beer barrel ramp on the fly (when the ball is flying around the orbit), so perfectly that the ball has enough speed, gets to the top of the yellow ramp, and then flys out of the ramp? I’m not talking about when the ramp changes from the yellow plastic to the wire form (although I’ve had that happen too), I’m talking about it flying out when it’s at the top of the incline of the yellow ramp.
This happens to me probably 50-75% of the time that I make the shot on the fly, which usual results in a stuck ball behind Otto. I do not experience this when making the ramp from the magnab, as obviously there isn’t the same amount of force from a ball at rest.
My game is perfectly level the way it’s supposed to be, and my upper flipper coil power is not cranked up.
Anyone else experiencing this?
Making the shot on the fly is probably the most satisfying shot in the game, and I’d hate to not be able to do it because of this.
If the clear plastic was lengthened to behind Otto’s head I’m sure this would eliminate this problem.

Never had that happen that I can recall?

1 week later
#4101 4 years ago

There is no monkey in Harry Potter but perhaps the next game will be Project X?

1 week later
#4146 4 years ago

I thought about making one but there just isnt anyway to fit something under that wireform. The cart almost touches.

#4149 4 years ago

Not sure but I have tapped the keg during rollercoaster multiball.

#4152 4 years ago

I noticed they were glued on offcenter on the bumpers and thats why it seemed possible. They would have to be pulled off and remounted in order to have clearance. Too much trouble for me.

SmartSelect_20191222-080456_Chrome (resized).jpgSmartSelect_20191222-080456_Chrome (resized).jpg
3 weeks later
#4167 4 years ago

I just cracked 68 mil on this game. If anyone has got to this point you will feel like a god. It was like being one with the machine. I know it sounds like zen but it is very exhilerating. I felt like nothing could stop me and I could predict every shot. I only had 1 extra ball the whole time. I wish everyone the best of luck in 2020 and enjoy Gemutlichkeit year round. Oktoberfest is the best!

#4169 4 years ago

I could be wrong but when I got 2x the light went on. Later on during the same ball when I was going for 3x I did not see it on? Im sure it registered but that should stay on for players info.

#4171 4 years ago

I thought it stayed on so you know what bonus you have and going for next.
How is the new flipper adjustment part for beer barrel coming along?

#4179 4 years ago

AP has a fix for the flipper is what Josh said on the code update stream a few months ago. Dan told me about it also. I thought it would be ready by now? I'm not wanting to do a home made jerry rig from the previous posts. The fix has been tested and the shot is now 60% makeable. This has been a hang up for lots of people on the game.

2 weeks later
#4203 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

First time I'm hearing about it, what is it?

It was mentioned above along with your post. AP is being quite on the whole thing?

#4212 4 years ago

Thanks for the update Josh, this is gold! Every complaint about this game on pinside having problems or being clunky will be no more.

1 week later
#4252 4 years ago

Can you still hit the newton balls with this set up? I suppose so.

#4272 4 years ago

I just noticed Houdini is rated higher than Oktoberfest?

#4277 4 years ago

I never pay any attention to the ratings anymore. I sold 2 top 15 rated games I was tired of to get Oktoberfest and Houdini, and I am glad I did.

It took me around 500 plays to get my first Beer Barrel MB, and that was fine, because I like the variety of the game. Now I average 6 plays to get it, so for me what is that...about 100 times better?
I just wish in Adult it could really be Adult. Like instead of Otto saying what can I get you?, have Otto saying what in the hell do you want? It is funny, as it is, but like PG humor and I hope for R humor someday.

I second that,when I heard there was going to be some risque stuff on the release I was hoping for something more dirty.

#4288 4 years ago

When I went to the skyslide tent Inga says" Im thinking of something that rhyms with" than it stops. Am I missing the joke or is it cut off?
Also if you ever get in the business of making toppers a faux wood cuckoo clock doorway that goes off after time runs out would grab a lot of attention at pinshows! You can have my money now.

1 week later
#4296 4 years ago

Can I get my coil stop through AP? I've been waiting over 3 weeks for GAP to ship mine and everyone else said they got theirs quick? I keep holding off people to come over and play till I have it updated.

#4310 4 years ago

I got this coil stop from T3quila because its been 4 weeks from Great american pinball. I don't think this is right,the holes are spaced further from the bend and I can't get the screw holes to line up? Anyone else have this before I call AP line?

20200310_233811 (resized).jpg20200310_233811 (resized).jpg
#4312 4 years ago

I need the new one that was put out for the flipper fix upper right. I'm not sure how it differs from the old one.

1 week later
#4316 4 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

That's not the right coil stop.
Call GAP and have them send it to you, otherwise call Shalin over at American, he was taking over my position for the time being.

Thank you, we are contacting the distributer and waiting for a response. Not sure what is going on at GAP?

#4317 4 years ago

2 things I thought could be improved while playing Oktoberfest the other night. More opportunities to collect steins would be nice. Specifically if I hit the magnagrab on the top right flipper the bar door should open instead of staying closed. That way there are more options for that shot rather than going for beer barrel and the hammer strength. The second is the magnagrab above the lanes up top. Right now it just sort of stuns the ball and many times wings back around the ramp instead of giving the opportunity to get playfield multiplier. That magnet needs to act like the one in front of sparky on metallica. I am not sure if there is something in the adjustment menu for this particular magnet? Prost!

#4321 4 years ago

I'm going to check my level. A few times the ball gets slung back down the left outlane. Thx

#4322 4 years ago

Coil stop was easy install but when lowering the playfield something is pulling these 3 wires out and I dont know where they go?

20200324_221328 (resized).jpg20200324_221328 (resized).jpg20200324_223444 (resized).jpg20200324_223444 (resized).jpg
#4330 4 years ago

1 out of 3 i got, almost there. Does the this three wire go to the connector towards the back? Its a tight stretch! Last one is a 4 connector tied to the yellow/ black. Cant see where that goes?

20200327_145416 (resized).jpg20200327_145416 (resized).jpg20200327_145524 (resized).jpg20200327_145524 (resized).jpg
#4331 4 years ago

I betcha it goes next the other slot on the back panel. Man this thing really got caught up.

20200327_150124 (resized).jpg20200327_150124 (resized).jpg
#4333 4 years ago

Fixed! Thanks for trying to help. Take care! That was a close one

#4336 4 years ago

Had another fun game tonight at 6,899! If there is one thing I have learned this week during quarantine it is this. People are obsessed with themes and have no imagination. Three of the top four games are non licensed. In order to win a TWIPY you have to reskin Oktoberfest as Tiger King for anyone to pay attention to it.
Looking forward to the new code release during this sad time.

#4340 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Make sure your new pinballs aren’t the super shiny ones. Those will magnetize again.

Thats good to know, I have been replacing mine and the new ones aren't shiny. I didn't know it was a good thing.

3 weeks later
#4349 4 years ago
Quoted from GrandFireball1:

I noticed ever since I installed the new coil stop for the upper right flipper, the side ramp and captive ball shots feel much better but the Bar is nearly impossible because the angle just isn’t there anymore. This means that the only times I can collect a stein are a successful skill shot or a bounce/ricochet into the bar.
Is there any way a future code update can add an adjustment so that a full captive ball shot will open the bar for those of us with this problem?

I was wondering about that before installing but someone said its the same? I havnt noticed on mine but I rarely go for the bar but shoot for the barrel. Perhaps I will change my game plan? I will say the ball seems to fly off the wire ramp to the barrel now often. Maybe I will dial the flipper back? Has anyone had to since updating?

1 week later
#4366 3 years ago

Josh,
I have a few issues with the coding of Oktoberfest, I really hope they addressed this with the new update. For instance, My first stein collected was yours! Slosh Rosh Lager, I then played the tent and sent the ball 3 maybe even 4 times up the ramp! Still didn't get the tent win? I mean there is no way anyone is going to make this shot from the right flipper only more than 3 times to win the tent, even when you have a stein? Not fun even for amateurs.
2 weeks ago I was getting frustrated after owning this game after 11 months and wasn't getting anywhere. I dialed back everything to easy or extra easy on the menu and it started to be entertaining again. I hate to be on P*sy level but thats how it is in order to progress.
I loved listening to the Super Awesome Podcast that you mentioned this game was designed for bars and Houdini was too difficult. I think the problem with this game is not the art, layout, or theme but that no one in a bar (which this game was intended) after a drink or two or is going to be making any of these shots frequently enough to explore everything it has to offer.
Here is the number one quote review of this game. "I want to like this game".
Someone said that at Pincinnati last year out loud after playing it and it struck a cord with me and was exactly what I remember thinking myself after playing my first time. This is everyones first impression.
Josh you are genius when it comes to ideas and implementing into the theme, stuff I would have never thought of, but if the target audience is a bar with a few people having drinks or my friends who come over and have no experience in pinball it's not going to work. They flock to Metallica because they can hit Sparky and the tomb stones, hammer or snake mouth and feel they got pleasure from a multiball. That easy.
I recommend with the new code slicing everything in half so the default (operators normal)is what easy is now or more. To prove this, set up the game next to each other on location like the old days with extra easy and default next to each other and see what people have more fun playing. Filling 20 mugs in Tap It is hard enough even after collecting a stein. It's a tough line coding I get it. Too easy everyone walks away and too hard the same thing. I just think the setting need to be dialed back to draw a larger crowd. Especially for location and an average player like myself.
Take Care

#4368 3 years ago

Thanks Joe, I was under the impression winning tents created big points and winning them all was sort of the idea. I guess playing with the mindset that steins are just increasing scoring will help. Otto says "makes easier" I am under the impression its went for all the steins. I could swear Tap It can be accomplished with a stein rather than none at all. I do realize the Engler Pale Ale is valuable.
Luckily everything can be adjusted like you said but setting everything to easy and extra easy makes me feel like a wimp. Also if I have to adjust 14 different tent modes so they are possible to win thats a lot of figuring out specific play styles and not good for an operator. When Josh said Houdini was too difficult for most people the same can be said for Oktoberfest. In some tents its not challenging but frustrating. I played last night and sent 3 balls through the Looper "time limit using only the right flipper" and didn't win the tent? I was like you have to be freakin kiddin me.
Hopefully this stuff is improved with the next release. I would love to see a test done on this game with everything cut in half difficulty wise at a pin show and get peoples reactions compared to one out of the box. I think it would be plenty challenging enough. Thanks for clarifying, stay safe!

#4371 3 years ago

Yeah, having a line of 10 games playing at an expo right now doesn't sound too bad. Makes me miss it, hopefully "Oktober" in chicago will happen? It's too cold today to think of that anyway, how crazy is that!

2 weeks later
#4391 3 years ago

You mean you played without having a drink! Whats it like?

2 weeks later
#4435 3 years ago

Just wondering what happened to the next code update that has been do out? Coz reported it was coming over and over for months and still haven't heard anything after this long break to complete it? Thanks

2 weeks later
#4473 3 years ago

I haven't been happy with the coil stop fix since I have had it. Before the ball always made it up the ramp and made it in the barrel. The new Coil Stop is never consistent. If I lower the flipper power its not enough to get it up the ramp. If I bring it up 1 click its too hard sometimes and flies off the ramp or makes it in just fine. About %50 of the time it flies off the rail onto the plastic or even behind Otto. There is no winning.
Also if i take the ball out from getting stuck I put it on the rails to go in the barrel like it should have done and gives me time to put the glass on. This messes everything up for some reason? It can't find the ball and then when it gives me one it thinks its a ball short. I have to shut the game off. It should register the ball if I set it to go in the barrel. from what I can tell new plastics would have to be mounted for the coil stop to work.

1 week later
#4545 3 years ago
Quoted from 27dnast:

I’m thinking long and hard about bringing an OF into my collection. I’ve played the game once (Allentown).
Sell me on it!

Thats not too hard,everyone says it will never get old with 14 tent modes! The rollercoaster and beer barrel shots are extremly satisfying. I have to warn you I think its sorta difficult or complicated for some people, it can also ne frustratung. Thats what keeps me coming back and makes me a better player though. If you are into flowy cinch games you may not like this. It requires strategy and shot skills.

1 month later
#4636 3 years ago

Does anyone have a solution for this? Happens constantly, I may have to bend a plastic piece from the sign to get it to stay out.

20200821_164611 (resized).jpg20200821_164611 (resized).jpg
#4643 3 years ago

Thanks! I have the flipper power adjusted but still flies off. I'm going to bend that metal plate next.

3 weeks later
#4665 3 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

well, seems i just had MY game...
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
[quoted image]
my son still get the DUCK CHAMP with 367
to explain a little bit, and as we could have noticed for those playing this hard, all points seems to came from 1 great ball only, logically the last one
as everything is linked, ducks, finished modes, food for JP... and if you could do well in all of these & in the same ball, than the bonus will make the difference
here did play MEISTER WIZARD (badly), and STEIN WIZARD (badly too)
at the end all STEIN were X1, the CC JACKPOT was X2, and the COLLECT DUCK was X4
i finish my last ball +/- at 65M, and than all points came from bonus BOUM !
also to say, for those still not thinking "pinball is a 1 ball game" (PS : did you see Johannes O & Daniele A on BSD !?), i was under 500.000 pts at the start of my ball 3 (i remember thinking to go for that quite close extra ball ! lol)

Great game! Congrats, I don't think I will ever get that far.

1 week later
#4673 3 years ago

I think there is a bug in the new code. When Inga says "Shall I juggle your balls for you?" I don't feel any tingling? Shouldn't the shaker motor go off? hint hint

#4674 3 years ago

Seriously now. When I am awarded the "playfield x" in mystery it doesnt light up the ferris wheel. I am not sure it is working?
After food stand the pretzel and stand graphic seems to have the stand name blocked out behind the pretzel. Have to play again to be sure, not a deal breaker.

3 months later
#4713 3 years ago
Quoted from PinballT:

Hi, Just got an Oktoberfest and I am loving it! I have had Houdini and Hot Wheel before but I am really enjoying Oktoberfest! In my opinion, the best of the 3. Thinking about adding pinstadium lights. Is it worth it? Anyone else have them on their Oktoberfest?

I put them on mine and if you are in a dark place you need them! The different color won't do you any good, I got the warm white kit and the colors really pop! Iv had some problems with the lights sticking to the side art blades but I think it may be fixed now.

#4714 3 years ago

Is there an option to shorten the ball search time?
Often I find if I open the door during game play or get a ball that is stuck it totally messes the game up and it never figures itself out?

#4716 3 years ago

Tonight I opened the door, took the glass off to fix something right after ball 2 drained just before the ball spit out into the lane. When I put everything back and closed the door it took awhile for it to figure out that it had to do a ball search. It ejected the ball finally. The rest of the game it had problems realizing where the ball is. I finally turned off the game and restarted. Everything was fine then.
I have seen this issue always come up on this game. If a ball get stuck on the ramp into the barrel, if you put the ball into the barrel and start playing again it almost acts like it is short a ball and does searches? If this is common it will definitely hurt the chances of Oktoberfest to be used in tournaments.
Thanks

#4721 3 years ago

Mine is always the beer barrel ramp. The coil stop fix helped a lot as far as making the shot, but no matter how much I tweak the power to the upper flipper either not enough power to make it up the ramp, or the ball does make it up the ramp but comes off and lands around the bar area, and I have to pull the glass down to get the ball.
I have already solved a lot of the problem myself with clear plastic tubing attached to the ramp, but just 2 nights ago the ball came off another area of the ramp.
AND, I am not even complaining at all, I love this game!
I may eventually try to enclose the whole beer barrel ramp so that the ball can not come out of it, but no hurry, what I have already done works pretty good.
If someone were to make a mod for a ramp enclosure, and it be the clear yellow to match what is there, and easy to install, I would be very interested.
This game is awesome with so many different ways to try to get a good score!
I do always try to load up on Bumper Cars first, to get more ducks for more extra balls.
Right after I did my pipe tweak to the beer barrel ramp I had a 45 mil game, my previous best was 4.6 mil. And that was mostly from multi balls during a tent mode I had already stacked for higher scoring. (like 4.6 mil in bumper cars, and 6.4 mil in fud frenzy?) (something like that).
Again, I am not complaining at all, this game is AWESOME!
I have a great game every now and then, but overall I am not too great at any machine.
It has been kind of damn... I finally made that shot and then the ball went off track and landed behind the bar and I had to pull the glass down to get it. (but a lot better after my pipe tweak).
The rollercoaster ramp has been spot on and AWESOME!
This game should be ranked in the top 15, there are just so many different ways to try to get a good score, it keeps me coming back for more.

Anyone having a problem on the beer barrel ramp, I had this same problem that plagued me for 9 months. Check and make sure the metal plate near the entrance of the ramp that runs along side of the ramp hidden behind the barrel is secured. Mine had come undone and forced the ball in a different trajectory.

2 months later
#4735 3 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

My son just had an amazing game!
Over 130 Million!
Including over 5 million in Stein Slinging and
An 82 million Super Jackpot shot in Corkscrew Multiball!
[quoted image]

Thats practically impossible. Geez, great game!

#4753 3 years ago
Quoted from GSones:

Hello people of Oktoberfest. Tomorrow, if the truck shows up as scheduled, I'll be an official member of the family. I've been a longtime Houdini owner and fan and decided to pull the pin on a NIB Oktoberfest. I've only played it a few times at TPF (when it first came out) and have recently been watching a bunch of gameplay videos so I'm really looking forward to digging deeper into the shots and rules. I will say that one of my deciding factors was the fantastic support and online presence I've seen with Houdini so hats off to the API team for your hard work and dedication. As soon as I get it set up and sorted out, I'll start adding a few mods to it. The Shaker and knocker are a no-brainer but I don't see too many other 3rd party mods floating around out there. Any good ones that you can recommend? Anyway, looking forward to playing some one-handed pinball to celebrate (boy does that sound... strange).

Whats else is there to add? Ok,if you play in a dark arcade room like mine you need Neo Pinstadiums. The white diffused light brightens up the playfield like a bowling alley beautifully. Otherwise its sort of dark and you can't see all the stuff going on in the art. The flashing lights setting on roller coaster multiball is rewarding.

#4756 3 years ago
Quoted from Pyromedic:

Would love to see a video of the pinstadiums with that during roller coaster multiball!

I"ll see what I can do this weekend, you need to have 2 hands, also the UV glow flash doesn't come out on video as well. I think I attached the clips to the vux but Scott at pinstadium can tell you.

2 weeks later
#4760 3 years ago

Still gives me goosbumps when I see new ones,reminds me of that great day I got mine.

2 weeks later
#4770 2 years ago

What! This is an outrage. I can't beleive it. It's like another year without Santa Claus. Luckily we have the game to fill the loss. Great marketing opportunity!

1 month later
#4782 2 years ago

Some things I think should be addressed on the next update.
Scoring is too low. I played 6.5 minutes with a beer barrel multiball and my score was 438k, next game played 8.5 minutes and it was 338k.
The counter for how many times you need to complete a task is way too tiny. No one can read how many hits left for pop bumper car tent while playing. It should take up most of the screen or have a graph like Stern does.
Spelling Oktoberfest and Tent does little for me and I dont even bother with them since I don't notice it effecting my score much.
Playfield multiplier, I think I have gotten 3X maybe once in 3 years. It goes up to 5x? Good luck. Maybe a stein can double?
Sometimes when I play or if someone playing on location who doesnt know, there is a lul where there is nothing going on or what to shoot at, no tent lights or anything, needs to be some direction there. Otherwise I'm just smacking the ball until something lights up.
One of the reasons I bought this game was how cool there were ball save targets above the lanes but I feel they barely come in play or not sensitive enough? Nudging hasn't helped.
If the ball gets stuck on the barrel ramp it should be able to be placed in the barrel and not the shooter lane. Otherwise it looses track of balls.
I feel unless your score gets over 2 million or more the points than start to rack up all of a sudden.
Maybe I need to watch a tutorial but if I have a stein for a tent it should make it easier like less hits for bumper cars or less fill ups for tap it etc. Right now I don't notice much of a difference?
Thanks

#4785 2 years ago

Danke for the pointers guys. I think I hit a rut for many months,trying different tents that I didn't have a stein to. I think I will try your route. I probably need to be more diverse in my stein choices. I just keep choosing longer tent time and outlane save everytime because I feel it is
more beneficial to my style of playing. I stink st the tents using loops so Iv been geared toward the ones that target the middle of the field.
I definitly think the counter for completing a tent needs to be much larger. Seeing it in front of me adds more intensity and thrill while playing, although people like watching the animations?

2 weeks later
#4812 2 years ago
Quoted from bossk4hire:

Anyone have some fun mods they have put in their game? I just enjoy tinkering and haven't found much out there.

https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/free-oktoberfest-mod-maypole-and-pennants

2 months later
#4839 2 years ago

I agree,not had any weak flipper after playing like Houdini.
I too would like your input on scoring, I made some comments last month and crickets.

#4848 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Also, how frequent are extra balls on stock settings? I got like 5-6 the other night. Is that normal for good games?

The game you played Brady told me was set to below default at easy. There are so many settings on this game it can really change how we all play. I plan to lower mine and see if I can go deeper into all these strategies Rosh and Ferrit have provided.
Also I just did my annual wax on the game for Oktoberfest season. I usually use Mill wax but tried the Blitz everyone talks about. Wow what a difference. Its like playing ice hockey on this thing. The ball went up the side lane and over to the outlane! Give it a try if the barrel ramp is slowing you down.

1 week later
#4857 2 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

I noticed while playing my Hot Wheels, tonight that the pops feel more sensitive and reactive than on my Oktoberfest. Is it just me, a mechanical thing or system related? I'd love more action in my Oktoberfests pops.

Funny you mention that,I have noticed the top left pop doesn't go off when it should on a couple of oktoberfests I have played. They seem to kick in more when the ball is in the center of the three.

2 weeks later
#4882 2 years ago

Is there any word when the update will be available for Oktoberfest that has the features shown on Houdini?

8 months later
#4990 1 year ago

I havn't checked out the top 100 in awhile. What a joke. Valhalla is AP best pin? I have yet to meet these people. The rest start around 73. Yikes! Certainly better than some of the other games before it like Kiss.
I like AP games more than Spooky. What are your thoughts?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
Playfield - Plastics
The Pinball Scientist

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider viggin900.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin?tu=viggin900 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.