(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #928 Oktoberfest initial release pics and rule card pic Posted by PinballSTAR (5 years ago)

Post #1686 Updated (final?) Oktoberfest cabinet art Posted by HOOKED (5 years ago)

Post #1954 Link to 3/1/19 streaming video Posted by chuckwurt (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider t3quila.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#4031 4 years ago
Quoted from JohnnyPinball007:

I did that 2 times early on, but not since I replaced the flipper rubber to one that is not slick.
Someone had mentioned they thought the slick flipper rubber was putting a spin on the ball and I think they were right.

What rubber did you get, I was thinking maybe ordering Titan stuff, just getting a full set so I can replace all rings and posts and so on when the time comes in the future, plus I hate it when shipping is more than the items that I order...

#4032 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

I finally got significant time on an Oktoberfest today. I think this game is pretty good. I think the code is too difficult and the points are hard to come by, but the layout is very nice, and the metal habitrails are great.

There trick for more points seems to be the Stein multipliers with easy modes like bumper cars or food frenzy plus the Stein that allows for more time in a tent. Got a couple of millions that way.

#4036 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

My only other critique is that there’s nothing fun and easy for a beginner to do. For example, it took me several games to get a multiball going. A beginner would have no chance to see MB, and may never even happen into a mode.

Never thought about it that the Multiball is not easily reachable, but you are right and seems is uncommon when I think about it.
On my machine TENT is lit for the first ball (wonder if that is a setting) and more often than not the ball makes its way into the tent scoop for a lot of players, and starting a mode. But you are right, it is not obvious for somebody just walking up.

Once you learn that, the machine has definitely this "one more game" quality. Had people over last night and we ended up playing it for 5 hours because there is so much to do in the game. And you should hear the screams when you get to the barrel Multiball, people get really excited!

#4039 4 years ago

Marco part # 38-6519-4
Works great for me.

Thank you, I was really hoping you would say Titan because that one is available in light blue going along with the colors of the Bavarian flag. I know I'm childish, but it's a new toy for me and I'm like a 5 year old.

#4044 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Rotor help... or maybe a problem with the code... when I shoot the left orbit that orbit stays lit for quite some time before the lit shot moves to the right orbit... while the left orbit is still lit after just shooting it, will shooting it again (since it's lit) award another rotor shot, or is the thing to do to shoot the unlit right orbit... I.e. has the code switched to wait for a shot to the right orbit, but the light is just being very slow to move over?
Next thing, when hitting an orbit shot, the ball often ends up in the TAP lanes, but I noticed that no matter how many times I try to change the lit lanes, they don't move... are the lights frozen and the game is acknowledging where the unlit lane is, or is there really no way to make the ball roll over the unlit lane until the game snaps out of its frozen inset light thing?
If this is the sign of a bug I can send the data, it was the last game I played...

Just played to see if I can reproduce your issues and I can't. I'm on the latest software, I had a beta Software in the machine out of the box that had lots of bugs which version was close enough to the official one so I didn't notice at first. Check if you have latest software.

#4046 4 years ago

Thanks for taking the time to check this out! I've definitely got the latest code in my game. So when in Rotor mode, and you shoot the first lit loop shot (the left one) does your light insert immediately change to the right loop shot, or does it continue to stay on the left loop for about 5 seconds before moving to the right?

It definitely doesn't take 5 seconds for me, might not be instant but there is not that long if a delay for me. Also I can move the TAP lights freely and nice the unlit ones below where the ball is about to drop through.

#4054 4 years ago

Hey @rosh,
#oktoberfest plays awesome, but if I had to ask for one thing, it would be actually the capability to add custom music for tent modes. As cool as the included music track is, I would love to be able to add songs myself and then either have the pinball machine pick from it randomly in a tent mode or allow to associate specific songs to specific tents. As somebody who has been going actually to Oktoberfest and Plärrer while living in Germany I would love to pack some custom songs in there reminding me of years when I was younger

Possibly it could be implemented in a way that when you plug in a USB stick it pulls files of a specific name e.g. TentXX.wav/.mp3 where XX element of [01-14] in and overwrites the music for that tent until you overwrite it again or clear it in the service menu to reset it. Of course, no DRM, only up to a certain size and so on to make that easier for you guys. This would work similar to the welcome message picture. I don't know how much storage space you have available still to see if that is feasible, and I also don't know how complicated this would be to implement - obviously, if that would drain considerable development resources, then I rather keep you guys working on the play code itself.

Prost!

#4059 4 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Having played Oktoberfest hundreds of times (and still haven't gotten tired of it), I'm in the camp that thinks its number of multi-ball modes and the challenge level of starting them is just right. I might even say "brilliant". It's up there with my favorite pinball games of all time, games like TZ, CFTBL, IJ, AFM, etc. Some newer games feature a lot of easy-to-start multi-ball modes. That's fine, but I'd never buy one, not for home use (I'm not into flail-fests). In Oktoberfest, there are a couple things about multi-ball that I think are brilliant: 1) The ability to "stack" stuff (such as food stand, playfield multiplier, start a well-chosen mode...) and then start multi-ball with a well-executed ramp shot. So satisfying! 2) I love that I have a choice and I'm not forced to start Juggling mode (a multi-ball mode) every time it is presented as the initial default... and yet a newcomer can access it easily. Well done!

Fully agree, especially since I suck at pinball in general and at Multiball specifically. I get typically 10 seconds of riveting chaos until the drain protector runs out.

There is nothing greater then the Multiball starting at this machine, everybody gets super excited. The presentation is just on point.

Before, DI was my favorite machine but this is even better and DI won last year best in several categories I believe. Obviously, I'm still in the honeymoon phase, but the game is just so versatile and has this "one more game" quality!

#4064 4 years ago
Quoted from pimseb:

Personnally I would add those titles :

They were big hits in Germany back in 1994 - 1995

I remember the first one, that may have even made it onto a Bravo Hits CD. I think they vanished as quick as they rose...

I probably would put DJ Ötzi, Schürzenjäger, Hermes House Band and Mickie Krause or something like that in. Stuff you hear in the evening in the tents from the party bands.

rosh I do realize this is solely interesting for home users and probably no operator would touch that at all. Was just an idea.

#4066 4 years ago

However, a great one none-the-less... I'd even pay API to send them music to put into a personal copy of the code! Obviously being able to do that via a USB stick would be even better, and I'd pay for that too... even more so!!

I am actually in the software industry, and I would bet that feature if quoted - even if trivial to implement within an afternoon by a developer - would be at least several thousands of dollars, and then they would still likely make a loss on it. If non-trivial then the cost will go up quite a bit, to a point where it becomes totally non-feasible.
People don't realize the cost of QA and maintenance that is associated with this sort of stuff. Plus it drains resources from somewhere else. Being not a huge company that has slack built into the process due to management overhead, I bet they have very tight schedules and need to make the absolute most out of the resources available.

This is why I so much appreciate the quality of the game and the willingness to interface with us customers! You guys did something magical here, and I'm keen to see where you'll be going in the future!

Ferret & rosh maybe one day I can come visit you guys (once you are moved of course) - I would love to see the tools and tool chains that you guys are using!

#4068 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

You don't have to wait for us to get into the new place if you are even in town just let us know.

Thank you Dan!
I burned through all my PTO with the move this year, so it will have to wait until next spring at least unfortunately. By then you will likely have already revealed your 3rd game and I might get to see it.

#4073 4 years ago

That's interesting... you have an idea, I support it, and then you state financial reasons why my support doesn't hold water... Not sure why it would be several $1000s if it's just an afternoon to implement though... are Ferret/Rosh really paid so much? Anyone know where I can take a course in pinball programming?

First of all pinballslave I want to apologize if I have offended you. After reading my comment I can definitely see that you feel "backstabbed" but that was not my intention. I wanted just to point out that in my own experience offering money for a feature in software is typically futile because the actual cost of a feature is multiples higher than what people are typically willing to pay or think it costs to realize.

The reason why, I clearly didn't describe sufficiently enough. Exactly for the reason that most people think "how much can a few developer hours cost": No, I doubt that rosh or Ferret make 1000$ / hour (if you do, let me know, I'm gonna apply for a job at API today!).
The majority of cost is incurred after coding has finished. For every hour / feature coded you have to assume multiples of that for QA testing. You add documentation to that. And now, by far the larges cost is actually incurred by the support department for it and maintenance, as you have to keep maintaining this feature along with everything else as newer versions for the software go out. Paying the developer for the initial development is honestly the smallest part of that and that by a fair margin. People don't realize that, and how could they - they are not in that business - so, from the outside it certainly doesn't look that way.

EDIT ---
I didn't even mention planning of the feature yet, that takes also time. Typically done by Business Analysts or somebody wearing that hat in a smaller company is the planning of what and how the feature should work from a functional standpoint. After that a developer will take those specs and turn them into technical tasks - agile development anyone? -, while potentially going forth and back with the BA. There will be many hours spent before actually one line of code is written.
EDIT END ---

Now if you add in limited resources - nobody has an unlimited supply of developers, QA, and support people - you have to weigh every features benefits against other things you could be doing instead.

My intention with that post earlier was to point out that offering money is likely to be not fruitful in light of how software development works, and before we create the proverbial s***storm of "They got even offered money and are not willing to do it".

The longer I thought about my request the more I realized that it probably is not going to be done for reasons mentioned. And I apologize to API, because this discussion was certainly not my intention. Especially after Ferret gave a little bit deeper analysis above it becomes clear that the feature is non-trivial to implement and the associated dangers and cost seem to outweigh benefits for now. Maybe they will add something like this in one of their next games, but backporting this feature for Oktoberfest seems not really feasible.

I regret asking for it now, because I should have made that connection before I wrote this, especially being in that profession myself.

#4079 4 years ago
Quoted from littlecammi:

You heard it here first, folks: American Pinball's next game will be Harry Potter!

I want one! Where do I sign up for one?

#4083 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

You can send a NON-refundable, FULL purchase price payment, of $25K to my personal account in the Cayman Islands to reserve your place in line

Tempting - I'll send you a check. Don't cash until after delivery though.

#4102 4 years ago

I don't remember if this was on the to do list, thinking about it or already implemented but I recall reading about a banked shot from Prost stand-ups to the bar door should open it immediately, and I tried it out and it didn't open the bar door for me. Prost wasn't fully lit at that point.

Also what does the percentage for the extra ball at 500k do? I don't mean the matching at the end of the game. Does that mean when you reach 500k only x% of times the extra ball gets awarded? I understand how the dynamic increase stuff works but just wondering about the % there.

Would a full plunge always go in the bar? 1/3 of the time it goes in, 1/3 it doesn't and the last third it goes in after banking from the duck standup.

#4107 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Yes, a bank shot from the PROST targets directly to the bar should immediately open the bar if it's not already open. (Also: a left orbit -> bar combo should do the same.)

Sorry, not sure I understand... what exactly are you referring to?

Having a "guaranteed" skill shot to the bar is not the intended design... after all, it's supposed to be a SKILL shot. On my machine, I usually make the bar skill shot with a full plunge MINUS "a little bit". Not quite sure what "a little bit" is, I do it by feel. YMMV. One of the leagues I played this season featured Oktoberfest, and the bar skill shot there was just a bit different from my machine, enough so that I missed the shot at all the worst times. (Thanks, Murphy's Law! )

I'm referring to the "replay percentage" section in the manual which is different from the match type settings and handles on the default setting the award of extra balls when you hit certain scores.

I tend to always go for the Stein since I feel like they are so valuable, I don't think I tried ever any of the other ones.

Regarding the banked shot, I have to experiment with it then. Is it the plate in front of the bar that triggers it it is there another switch in the bar door itself and you have to hit it hard enough?

I do hear every now and then the knock on wood sound from the bar door but as often as I hit it, it should open more often I think, it is rarely ever open.

#4113 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

The "replay score" options are either fixed or boost. Percentage is not currently an option, so that percentage setting should not be there. Boosted means each time someone wins it, the score needed the next time will be X points higher, it will then come back down over a number of games.

Ah, I saw it in the manual - yes, I'm the one dude who actually went through the manual (at least partially...)
No worries if it is actually not in the game. I like how it works now.

Quoted from rosh:

It is the ball competing the connection between the plate and door. While it will never register 100%, since the ball get be airborne on a strong flipper hit, it is important to make sure the plate and the door are totally clean. Be sure there is no dirt, residue, etc. on either surface.
There is a stein that will also make it easier to open the bar, requiring less hits.

I waxed the playfield, and I bet there is a coat of wax on there preventing it from closing the circuit. That is a really cool design, so no pressure plates can go bad or anything! Sorry, my bad for this. What would you recommend for "de-waxing" that plate making sure that I don't hurt anything else?

Thanks for the quick response, PROST!

#4124 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

The left inlane skill shot is worth (theoretically) an infinite number of points, since after you make it, you can shoot right ramp combos for increasing point awards.
And the "?" skill shot is worth a lot of points, though it's admittedly very hard to make. (I've actually had some luck plunging to hit the post below the Beer Barrel ramp, getting a deflection around the FEST targets and then a bounce over towards the "?"... but yeah, difficult.)

How much force are the stand-ups ideally designed to have them triggered? Typically, floaty deflections don't trigger my outlanes or the Oktoberfest stand-ups. They need at least the force of a direct hit from the slings or a pretty bouncy/lively deflection.

#4125 4 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

Just wipe the plate with alcohol... that will clean off any wax residue. Test the door by hand by rolling a ball to it.

Apparently I was smart enough not to wax the metal plate. If the ball hammers against it I don't get the sound but if it is not as quick then it works, so I guess it's the air ball thing but it's ok, it seems to work as intended.

Just played for an hour - the game makes me smile everytime I play it, and I play it every evening when I come home from work. I wish just I wouldn't be so bad at pinball I haven't even beaten all modes yet individually not even talking about reaching Flippermeister.
There is so much to do on this machine. I want to reach food coma and Stein slinging next.

I'm like a 5 year old and get really excited wenn the rollercoaster Multiball starts.

#4127 4 years ago
Quoted from Swainer80:

When the game tilts out. Are you supposed to be able to use the service buttons?For the life of me I can't use them only the start button worked to add players. Still having issues with inappropriate saves. Just started up a game tonight and it started throwing four if not five balls out on to the playfield. I don't get it. I've sent in game logs twice. But it is hard to troubleshoot when you can't use the service buttons when the game tilts.[quoted image]

When that happens, is there 1 or 2 balls in the beer barrel?

#4129 4 years ago

My game was acting up a good bit while ago. Normally if I notice any problems I turn the game off, wait a few minutes, turn it on, and 100% fine again.
BUT, this time I had 2 balls in the beer barrel, still had never gotten that mb, so I kept playing.
FINALLY, after all this time I got the beer barrel mb!
Anyway, I did notice the E in TENT was out everytime the game would act up.
If I keep noticing problems I will do the log send stuff. But in the past anytime anything weird has happened it only lasted until the game was turned off and back on again. The same for Houdini. The only consistent thing is all problems do start while I am having a great game...like system overload or something.
Anyway, I am just having a blast with these 2 AP games while I wait on their 3rd game to come out.

I think with every software revision it gets more stable. I heard today in a podcast that both Houdini and Oktoberfest are getting another update in the nearish future. Since it was a podcast who knows if it's true. I figure they are all working on the new game right now to get that ready. Really Keen to see what it is going to be!

I'm envious that you have both. Which of the two do you like better?

#4134 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

We certainly hope so! No one's happy if it goes the other way.

Ha - as a programmer you have probably heard that song:
99 little bugs in the code.
99 little bugs in the code.
Take one down, patch it around.

127 little bugs in the code...

Quoted from Ferret:

Hey, if it was on the Internet, it must be true, right?!
In this case, though, it is indeed true.

OOOOOH, can't wait for that, that's a nice Xmas present!

So far Okt by far, BUT, so far I have not spent a lot of time on Hou.
I was looking for something different, seen this thread, was very impressed that the company interacts here, and I said hell yeah, I like beer and amusement park stuff, so I will get a Okt.
When I was picking Okt up at my distributor (only a hour each way, saves shipping money), he talked about he had a Hou in his collection and was trying to talk me into that. I said no, I am here for a Okt.
He said "you will probably like Okt". He was wrong, I love Okt.
So as much as I loved Okt, I wanted the Hou also. I sold a AC/DC prem for a very low price to hurry and pick up a Hou. (we were done with the ac, it was never going to get anymore play.
Hou is very awesome, we have just not made it too far into it, because Okt is still getting played a lot more.
I only have room for one more game, and I plan that space for whetever AP's 3rd game is.

Thanks for the insight! I can't really afford another game right now, so I would have to let Oktoberfest go for the new one and I'm not ready to do that yet, not by a long shot. Unless I really must have the new game on release day, do or die, I'm gonna probably hold on to Oktoberfest at least until towards the end of 2020. Maybe I win the lottery in the meantime

#4136 4 years ago

Did any of you install cliffys?
I haven't found anything for Oktoberfest on the website.
I guess there is a generic one for the shooter Lane, but I don't know if that fits and quite honestly how to install it if it does.

I love the knocker, anybody got the Shaker?

#4138 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

The shaker is fantastic. I typically don't waste my money on shakers but it's well implemented here.

Nice, just found out I'm gonna get one for Christmas!

#4140 4 years ago
Quoted from pimseb:

Hi ! I'm still discovering my New OF game my best score is 5 millions so far but a friend of mine made a 13. 5 millions score yesterday !
When I push the flippers, the refill led is blinking making me sometimes think during multiball that I still have a ball save (but no) . Do you have the same issue ?
Other question : is API planning to sell the car bumper drivers as a mod ?
Thanks

Nice scores! I had one game with 12M but most games are below 1M for me. I have to practice flipper skills and learn nudging. I lose a lot of balls through outlane drains.

I'll have to look if mine does that too, but I don't recall seeing it blinking when I press the flipper button so far.

I had the same question regarding the drivers. Apparently they interfered with the rollercoaster ramp. I can see that the cars are really close and when a ball goes through mine it touches one of the cars ever so slightly - there is no room. So I don't think it is coming.

1 week later
#4158 4 years ago

I love the game, can't wait to see what you guys are doing in the upcoming code release! I put over 500 games on it in a month according to the counter. At this point I know all of Inga's taunts by heart unfortunately. I finally should get to actually practice flipper skills.

Getting also the Shaker for Christmas from my in-laws. My family is awesome!

Happy holidays to everybody!

3 weeks later
#4175 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Whuh? A beer barrel ramp shot fix in the works?!
This ramp shot is my primary gameplay concern in making a final Oktoberfest purchase decision. Just sold my TSPP and I do not desire another unfun "treehouse" ramp shot on a new game.

I put red rubber from Marco onto the upper flipper and it seems to be easier. But I still have days when I can't hit it. Other days I seem I can't miss it. Unfortunately the latter ones are rare

#4178 4 years ago

How sensitive have you guys set your outlane save targets? I almost never get any and am debating if I should make them more sensitive.

#4180 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I'm not wanting to do a home made jerry rig from the previous posts.

When you replace the next time flipper rubber, instead of using super bands use a softer rubber compound - I would argue that is not really jury rigging. I understand people do stuff like that all the time to make the game play more to their liking. I needed to get replacements and ordered that and it seems to work for me.

I'm curious how software can change difficulty of a shot though, since that is a physical function of geometry in terms of angle, speed and force. The latter one you can already change with the coil strength adjustments. I had to back down coil strength by one on my upper flipper anyway, because otherwise the ball would hop off the rail on the way from the plastic to the barrel if you got a super clean shot. I found non magnet staged shots have a better chance actually - not when they are screaming around, but when they have a little bit more momentum then from the magnet hold resting spot.

#4185 4 years ago

Thinking outside the box, one way the software could "fix" this would be to add a "super magnab" feature. With super-magnab qualified, you would catch the ball above the UR flipper like you normally do, but the dome LED turns purple and auto-flip is enabled. Then you sit and watch as the UR flipper makes the perfect shot. Much like Phantom Flip in Monster Bash and Thing Flips in Addams Family.

That's a cool idea!
In Adams family though it has switches above and below the goal so it knows if it flipped too early or too late and learns. We don't have that learning feedback possibility here, so short of just giving you a virtual lock at x% of the time I don't know if it would work. But I like the way you are thinking!

#4186 4 years ago

Still thinking outside the box, and this is a little off-topic, but are there any games where making a skill shot doesn't kill all the remaining skill shots? In other words, if you're really skilled, you could collect two or three skill shots before the skill-shot timer runs out? I guess a super skill shot is something like that, but not exactly.

There is one like this already in the game. If you get the left inlane it lights the half pipe on the right getting back to the left flipper and you can keep shooting it for progressively higher scores until you miss.

#4191 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Is there a coil adjustment for the ball kick out coil into the shootout lane?
It has happened 4 times now to me. Mid game I think ball 2 the ball tries to kick out but does not come all the way out and drops back down. Then registers as a drained ball.

I believe I have seen that before in the coil adjustment setting, let me know if you can't find it, then I'll fire mine up and look for it.

What's off though is that yours falls all the way back and registers as a lost ball. I would expect it to fall on top of the follow-up ball and trigger the jam switch instead it trying to kick it out again.

2 weeks later
#4198 4 years ago
Quoted from mfresh:

Anyone go the new coil stop fix for the upper flipper? Does it make the barrel shot much easier, like it is supposed to?

First time I'm hearing about it, what is it?

#4200 4 years ago
Quoted from mfresh:

AP are releasing a package to existing owners which includes a coil stop which shortens the upper flipper stroke. This, apparently, will make it significantly easier to get the ball in the barrel.

Cool, I'm excited for that!

#4202 4 years ago

In the meantime, it is way easier to hit the barrel shot when the ball is not captured by the magnet before.

When it is served up by the magnet I almost never hit, but when it comes at a decent but not screaming pace down the orbit I have a pretty decent success rate, like one out of 4 (remember I'm bad at pinball)

#4205 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

It was mentioned above along with your post. AP is being quite on the whole thing?

I thought we were talking about the flipper rubber, not a different coil stop. Sorry, my bad.

Quoted from DanDanDAN:

Yup contact your local distributor!

Cool, I'll text Zach.

#4211 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

They are now in the process of being packed up and sent out to distributors who should have them shortly.

Awesome, thank you Josh! Other manufacturers can learn from you guys when it comes to customer service!

1 week later
#4227 4 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

I just received the coil stop upgrade kit from AP and it included 2 pieces of clear plastic that have double sided tape on them. Unfortunately, no instructions were included and I have no idea what the plastic pieces are for or where they go. I tried asking AP for help but they have been unusually non-responsive to my phone and email requests so, can anyone here tell me? Thanks in advance.

There is a service bulletin on the API website under The Menu > Support > Resources and then on the Oktoberfest Tab. There is a PDF with pictures and explanation.

It's called lockdown bar spacer installation or something along the lines. You stick the tabs under the sides of the lockdown bar so it centers the bar across the machine. Got them too, but my machine has them already installed from the factory.

That's odd, that you have problems reaching them. When I write them, I get answers within a few hours, typically even at night and in weekends, as they don't seem to sleep at all, lol.

#4228 4 years ago

I got the new longer coil stop this week and finally got around to install it yesterday. My wife and me put now some games on it with the new coil stop and wanted to give a review.

Beforehand, it was pretty much impossible on my game to make the shot if the ball was trapped up by the magnet. If the ball was coming down from a full orbit shot then the shot was barely makable but I had even to adjust that, because on the regular coil strength setting it would hop off the rail on the way to the barrel. So reducing the power made that more stable but even more difficult. Adding red rubber helped to reduce the spin so it would hop off the rail less often.

New coil stop enter the scene: the geometry of the shot is perfect now. If you have the timing down, it makes it now from any situation - both resting and from orbit. It shoots the ball into the barrel with authority! Any of you who have practiced this shot under the difficult previous circumstances as a result will nail it now pretty much every time. Make no mistake, it's still not a trivial shot - my wife didn't play the machine before a lot and she can make the shot only every now and then, but now it is a function of timing and skill and not of luck and circumstance.

Good players will dial that shot in quickly. This improvement is a game changer in the truest sense of the word: now lock stealing will become in a multiplayer game a real part of the strategy and not just a low percentage incidental occurrence. Think TNA and so on.

I absolutely love the change, it elevates the game to it's full potential. Thanks API for keeping at it and making the game even better. It has already changed my strategy, because now I'm thinking about the Stein that increases beer barrel Multiball jackpots and stacking that with food frenzy.

Little tip: shooting the barrel will spot you a PROST letter, so if you have 4 lit, just shoot it in: it will spot you the 5th to light the lock and lock the ball.

#4231 4 years ago
Quoted from rcb5588:

What is inside the beer barrel lock to recognize a ball is in there? Is it an opto? Or micro switch rollover? Or something else?
I’m having an issue where after I lock a ball in the barrel, the game keeps thinking that ball is getting relocked. So during gameplay I will get the animation of “ball 1 locked”, and it will shoot another ball into the shooter lane, even though I still have a ball in play on the playfield.
Of course, I can’t removed the plastic barrel because there is an impossible screw to get to, which just adds to the frustration. But while I’m dealing with removing that, I wanted to see what type of info I can get in the meantime.
If it’s an opto, does it just need to be cleaned?
Anyone else have this issue?
Thanks

There is a Membrane Switch in there, that recognizes when a ball is sitting on it. I had the same problem and am beta testing a solution with Josh right now. Very promising! In the meantime what helped for me was cleaning that membrane. The accumulated grime was causing it for me, but obviously it will start showing up after a while again. Or get with Barry / Josh before you clean it to see if they want you in the beta test for it.

#4233 4 years ago

Did it just show up in the mail? I am ready for it.
Thanks!

I texted my distributor Zach from flip n out pinball. He said that he'll send it out as soon as he gets it and I got it in Wednesday I think. ZMeny is awesome!

API is sending them out through the distributors, contact yours.

#4234 4 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

Thanks for your help. Pinside at its best. You're right about the oddity of no reply from AP because they have always been great when I have needed their help in the past. I am thinking that maybe they are in a bit of upheaval with the management changes going on. I hope they survive and thrive when its all said and done.

I think they are in full force working on their 3rd game and at the same time doing new software for Houdini and Oktoberfest. All this While juggling the move to a new facility... I think currently for them the days would need to be 40 hours long if they want to sleep for a couple hours..

#4237 4 years ago
Quoted from rcb5588:

Thanks so much for the reply and information. What type of solution are they looking to do for it? Add different switches or sensors or something?
In the meantime I'll just give it a good cleaning and hope that works for now. Thanks!
Ross

It's SW / Firmware, it works really well, at least on my machine. The guys at API are really awesome - if in doubt contact their support!

Btw, don't scrub that membrane with steel wool or something. I used microfiber cloth and Novus 1 when cleaning it, and didn't press down on it hard.

#4238 4 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I went through those two boards and reseated all of the connections. The A, B and C connectors I replaced with the new bar should have been the only ones which were even touched, but as you mentioned I was concerned that maybe I bumped something.
There is a little forked connector (I assume ground) that screws under one of the nuts on the bottom of the bar. I don’t know if that could have any impact. I tried to get it back exactly like it was.
Could someone take a picture of the open connections on those boards just to make sure I have all of the correct ones filled?

I'm out and about for the remainder of the day - if nobody posts here, remind me via pm tomorrow and I'll take pictures tomorrow evening for you.

#4251 4 years ago
Quoted from mfresh:

Did you change the coil power on that upper flipper. More to the point, what power do you have it on now with the new coil stop?

I actually left it at 1 or 2 below default, which I had to adjust it before to barely make the shot while at the same time not hopping off the wire form. Now, because the geometry is lined up better, even at the reduced power it smacks it into the barrel with speed!

#4253 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Can you still hit the newton balls with this set up? I suppose so.

Absolutely, no problem. I haven't tried to make the bar entrance yet though. That was barely possible before for me, so I have to look for that, but the newton ball is easily reachable.

#4257 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

I would love this fix but my distributor isn't responding to a request for it. I tried to contact AP directly but said I had to go through my distributor. Seems odd you can't get it directly from AP, so now I'm out of luck I guess.

My distributor sent me an extra. If you can't get yours through your distributor, I'll send you my extra one. Let me bang the drum here for Zach a little: had nothing but awesome experience with Flip N Out pinball.

#4268 4 years ago

Thank You AP for always being available, and your continued work making your games even better.
In the past I rarely could ever make the beer barrel ramp, now it is just as easy as any other shot after the coil stop fix you came up with.
Thanks!

If you play with other people, lock stealing actually becomes a real concern! It's really awesome - haven't played it yet in multiplayer since I have the new coil stop since I was busy and couldn't play as much as I wanted, but once I get back to it, it will be a real different strategy. Instead of always going for it, I'll wait until I have a suitable mode and multipliers lined up.

#4275 4 years ago
Quoted from IdahoRealtor:

Same here. It's a very doable shot. You just need to hit it at the right angle. I have no interest in changing it from a challenging shot to an easy shot. I like the challenge.
But if this is what the masses want then it's smart for AP to offer a solution. The hard shots on Houdini, which I personally enjoy, seemed to hurt sales. Perhaps I'm in the minority.

On my machine it wasn't makable from magnet trapped ball because I had to reduce the coil strength, otherwise shots full orbit would hop off the rail. Now I can make it from both situations.

1 week later
#4297 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Can I get my coil stop through AP? I've been waiting over 3 weeks for GAP to ship mine and everyone else said they got theirs quick? I keep holding off people to come over and play till I have it updated.

Are you at LAX? I can bring you one and when you get yours just give me one back. How does that sound?

#4304 4 years ago
Quoted from rcb5588:

This beer barrel membrane switch is starting to drive me crazy! It literally makes the game unplayable since it continues to think the ball is getting locked (when it already is), and launches a new ball into the shooter lane, while the current ball is already in play.
American Pinball, what is going to be the solution for this? Every time I clean the membrane switch it works fine for about 20 games, and then acts up again. I bought this thing NIB last September and it only has 300 plays on it.
Isn’t there some way to write in the code that it remembers that it already locked a specific ball? So even if the switch thinks it has another ball roll over it (when really it didn’t), it doesn’t count it as a newly locked ball? Can’t the game remember that it already had ball 1 locked or ball 2 locked, so any new sensitivity to the membrane switch is voided?
Or is the solution really going to be installing a new membrane switch every few hundred plays? If that’s the case, can I have one sent to me? I know I’m not the only one who has had this issue on here.

Write Josh an email and see if you can get into the beta test for the new software. It fixed it for me and was working really well. Had similar problems before.

#4313 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I got this coil stop from T3quila because its been 4 weeks from Great american pinball. I don't think this is right,the holes are spaced further from the bend and I can't get the screw holes to line up? Anyone else have this before I call AP line?[quoted image]

They came in the same envelope. Would be odd if they are different. Unless I just grabbed by sheer luck the one that was meant for the upper flipper when I installed it, and this is for the lower one maybe just as a goodie... I didn't have any trouble installing mine at all, and there is definitely a difference in play now, so it is doing what it was supposed to be doing. I never compared them, I just assumed they are the same.

1 year later
#4841 2 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Have you ever had a ball last for almost 30 mins?

Only if it got stuck!

1 week later
#4860 2 years ago

I had to readjust my pops every now and then to keep them lively. Used some thin cardboard between the contacts of the switch to clean them and that little tool from pinball life to bend the leaf so they were just not touching. Since the ball tends to come at a very low pace and the table is relatively flat, the leaves needed to almost touch to keep the pops nice and responsive. Seemed to always be the left and the bottom one for me - don't think I had to ever adjust the right one.

2 weeks later
#4871 2 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

Well, mine was NIB so it had old code installed. WAY old code..... lol. The original black rubbers were already chalky and one in the back was split upon my initial inspection. I'll have to take a look at the manufacture date, but I bet it's 2018. There are definitely advantages to buying a well cared for used machine.
This machine is an ASS KICKER btw. I put quite a few games on it and never saw corkscrew or beer Barrel multiball even one time.
Edit: May 2019 assembly date, so, almost 2.5 years old in a box in a warehouse.

Make sure, the machine is not too upright. It's supposed to be lower than a Stern and you need the side to side action from the slings for the cork screw stand-ups.
Adjust the sling power if necessary, so they don't produce just drainbows.
Also, for the upper flipper there is an alternative coil stop that changes the angle of the flipper and makes the barrel shot significantly easier. I got it through my distributor for free.

2 weeks later
#4888 2 years ago
Quoted from CoolCatPinball:

One of those bug fixes wouldn't be for the LED under the Food frenzy Tent insert would it? Mine strobes the wrong color when in attract mode, along with one of the GI bulbs under the left return lane. Not a huge deal, but I'd like to get it sorted.

Are the colors correct when in lamp test mode? Could be that they are wired up wrong.

1 month later
#4914 2 years ago
Quoted from northerndude:

Hey all, considering an Oktoberfest.
Couple questions....
1. I was watching a stream and there was non-stop scoop denials - is that normal or did they have their flipper power too high or needed the scoope adjusted a bit?
2. Is the head still the ugly head? Or did that new manager guy David Fix get it changed? He mentioned in his early podcast that it was going to go to the wayside.
3. How's this pin hold up? there's no way i'm going to be around one to play, other than watching streams...
4. Does it have too convoluted of rules? I tried watching and paying attention to rules during stream and it's hard to "get it"
thx in advance!

I had one for over a year:
1. I tended to use a backhand for 95% scoop success rate, rather easy shot actually

2. No idea

3. Had 1300 or so games on it, once the out of box issues were solved it worked well. The contact switch in the beer barrel needs to be cleaned every few hundred games. That was the weakest point that i know of. Build quality is pretty high otherwise.

4. The rules for just having fun are simple. Light tent letters over the in and out Lanes, hit the scoop and enjoy the mode, which is as simple as shooting the blinking lights. If you want to blow the score up then you can get very deep strategy wise, which keeps it fresh for a long time. Play simple or play deep, your choice.

#4916 2 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

I had one for over a year:
1. I tended to use a backhand for 95% scoop success rate, rather easy shot actually
2. No idea
3. Had 1300 or so games on it, once the out of box issues were solved it worked well. The contact switch in the beer barrel needs to be cleaned every few hundred games. That was the weakest point that i know of. Build quality is pretty high otherwise.
4. The rules for just having fun are simple. Light tent letters over the in and out Lanes, hit the scoop and enjoy the mode, which is as simple as shooting the blinking lights. If you want to blow the score up then you can get very deep strategy wise, which keeps it fresh for a long time. Play simple or play deep, your choice.

Oh and I forgot to mention, that there is an insane amount of modes available, so even if you don't want to study rules, you can chose from so many different ones right of the bat, it's going to be fun for a long time. And they do all feel different because they make use of different features of the game.

This is the only game that I know that has such breadth and depth at the same time.

Explanation:
Breadth, you can play different modes without going deep into the game right in the beginning. Examples are dad rock themes usually where you can pick the mode at the beginning of the ball. On the opposing side, for example if you are not that good on machines like JP you play the same few paddocks over and over because they is initially no breadth of choice.
Depth: Very many strategic options and after playing for aa long time in a single game you still get new things to see. AIQ is an example there, many rules for strategy forming, or also LotR where to get to Valinor you have to play very long and get deep into the game.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

6,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider t3quila.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin?tu=t3quila and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.