(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #928 Oktoberfest initial release pics and rule card pic Posted by PinballSTAR (5 years ago)

Post #1686 Updated (final?) Oktoberfest cabinet art Posted by HOOKED (5 years ago)

Post #1954 Link to 3/1/19 streaming video Posted by chuckwurt (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rcb5588.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#3724 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Awesome thanks. So my thinking of getting to stein level 3 right before a cork screw MB or Beer Barrel Mb was sound. Now I’m thinking that pop bumper mode with a level three stein might be good money too. I’ll have to experiment more.
Thanks again!

This is the strategy I usually play with. I get the stein for the bumper cars mode up level 3 and the corkscrew multiball jackpot to level 3 as well. I also do the boost for "spend more time in tents". Lock two balls, get into the bumper car mode, get the third ball up the corkscrew ramp to start multiball, and go from there. All of this mixed together will usually give me some pretty high scores. I think my best ball was 17 million and my best bonus was around 12 million. I've gotten a few 30 million games using this technique (37m is my highest so far).

I'm sure there are better techniques than this, but haven't figured them out yet.

#3763 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

I had the Duck Derby bug again. It seems to happen on the second Duck Derby of a game. It launched the second ball but wouldn't shoot the other one from the scoop. Once my ball drained after about 30 sec, it auto launched from the shooter lane again and launched the one from the scoop essentially starting Duck Derby.

I've had this exact same issue a few times as well. However, the times that it happened to me were times that as soon as I'm entered Duck Derby I quickly pressed both flippers to bypass the instructions (I'm impatient and find myself doing this for most modes, haha). The times that I quickly bypassed the Duck Derby instructions this has happened to me (and when I say quickly, I mean like the second it shows I'm about to enter Duck Derby). However, I can't recall if it was during the first Duck Derby, or the second, so this might just be a coincidence. When I'm home later today I will test it out and post my results.

#3765 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

rcb5588, please do post the results of that test, as that could obviously be helpful info for tracking down the problem. I’ll do the same testing here. Thank you!

Absolutely, no problem. Just got home and played a game to test this, and it checks out (on my game at least). When I bypass the Duck Derby instructions by pressing the two flippers in, it will launch the ball out of the shooter lane, but not out of the scoop. It will only launch out of the scoop when the ball drains (at this time it will also launch a new ball from the shooter lane), essentially starting Duck Derby over.

1 week later
#3838 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Will do! Thanks for the tip!

I have this same issue, and I'd also say it's about 60%-70% of the time I hit the left orbit. As rockrand pointed out in his post, mine also gets caught on the very edge of the curved metal. It bothered me at first but I have just gotten use to the inconsistency. Although when I have some free time I think I will try to bend the metal a bit so it's not sticking into the path.

1 month later
#4020 4 years ago

Does anyone else have an issue when they hit the beer barrel ramp on the fly (when the ball is flying around the orbit), so perfectly that the ball has enough speed, gets to the top of the yellow ramp, and then flys out of the ramp? I’m not talking about when the ramp changes from the yellow plastic to the wire form (although I’ve had that happen too), I’m talking about it flying out when it’s at the top of the incline of the yellow ramp.

This happens to me probably 50-75% of the time that I make the shot on the fly, which usual results in a stuck ball behind Otto. I do not experience this when making the ramp from the magnab, as obviously there isn’t the same amount of force from a ball at rest.

My game is perfectly level the way it’s supposed to be, and my upper flipper coil power is not cranked up.

Anyone else experiencing this?

Making the shot on the fly is probably the most satisfying shot in the game, and I’d hate to not be able to do it because of this.

If the clear plastic was lengthened to behind Otto’s head I’m sure this would eliminate this problem.

2 weeks later
#4108 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

I tend to always go for the Stein since I feel like they are so valuable, I don't think I tried ever any of the other ones.

I do the same thing. I'd love to see the other skill shots worth more. The bar door skill shot is by far the easiest, and in my opinion the most lucrative since every stein can significantly boost up your modes and points. The risk/reward for the other skill shots isn't even worth it, so I never even think of going for them. HOWEVER, I would like to. Maybe instead of points they could be worth a game play advantage - like the mystery target is an extra ball, or the inlane is an instant 2 ball multiball. Something that makes those skillshots actually worth it.

I know this will never happen, as I'm sure it would be a tremendous amount of coding and testing work, but I do think it would benefit the gameplay and add another level of excitement to it.

2 weeks later
#4162 4 years ago

What power setting do you guys have the scoop set to? If I have it at 14 it sends the ball to the bottom 1/4 inch of the flipper about 90% of the time. If I boost it up just to 15 then it will always send the ball to the plastic inlane guide. Crazy how just one number adjustment will make such a difference. Can’t seem to find a sweet spot (or even close to) to get it to the middle of the flipper. Has anyone modified the scoop at all under the playfield to change the angle a bit?

1 month later
#4229 4 years ago

What is inside the beer barrel lock to recognize a ball is in there? Is it an opto? Or micro switch rollover? Or something else?

I’m having an issue where after I lock a ball in the barrel, the game keeps thinking that ball is getting relocked. So during gameplay I will get the animation of “ball 1 locked”, and it will shoot another ball into the shooter lane, even though I still have a ball in play on the playfield.

Of course, I can’t removed the plastic barrel because there is an impossible screw to get to, which just adds to the frustration. But while I’m dealing with removing that, I wanted to see what type of info I can get in the meantime.

If it’s an opto, does it just need to be cleaned?

Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks

#4235 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

There is a Membrane Switch in there, that recognizes when a ball is sitting on it. I had the same problem and am beta testing a solution with Josh right now. Very promising! In the meantime what helped for me was cleaning that membrane. The accumulated grime was causing it for me, but obviously it will start showing up after a while again. Or get with Barry / Josh before you clean it to see if they want you in the beta test for it.

Thanks so much for the reply and information. What type of solution are they looking to do for it? Add different switches or sensors or something?

In the meantime I'll just give it a good cleaning and hope that works for now. Thanks!

Ross

Super exclusive ad from the Pinside Marketplace!
2 weeks later
#4299 4 years ago

This beer barrel membrane switch is starting to drive me crazy! It literally makes the game unplayable since it continues to think the ball is getting locked (when it already is), and launches a new ball into the shooter lane, while the current ball is already in play.

American Pinball, what is going to be the solution for this? Every time I clean the membrane switch it works fine for about 20 games, and then acts up again. I bought this thing NIB last September and it only has 300 plays on it.

Isn’t there some way to write in the code that it remembers that it already locked a specific ball? So even if the switch thinks it has another ball roll over it (when really it didn’t), it doesn’t count it as a newly locked ball? Can’t the game remember that it already had ball 1 locked or ball 2 locked, so any new sensitivity to the membrane switch is voided?

Or is the solution really going to be installing a new membrane switch every few hundred plays? If that’s the case, can I have one sent to me? I know I’m not the only one who has had this issue on here.

#4302 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

We have code in beta test right now that does exactly this. It’s not a total panacea (and can be disabled if it causes other problems) but may help tide you over until you can replace the membrane.

What other problems would it cause? Tide me over until I replace the membrane switch? Can you guys send me one? Or should I assume that these only last 300 plays, and am then required at this point to buy one from your store?

#4307 4 years ago
Quoted from t500:

Question about the behavior of the Beer Barrel lock and either Last Call or Duck Derby. Should the behavior be for the balls in the BB lock to drop during either modes? I am consistently seeing issues with both while running the beta code. Not sure if it might be related to yet another failing membrane switch or code issues.
Can provide logs and whatever details might help.
Anyone else having this problem?

Nope, that shouldn’t happen. But it’s happened to me too. I don’t recall if it was during Last Call or Duck Derby, or some other time during gameplay, but I’ve experienced this as well (even before I started to have my current BB lock membrane switch issues).

#4314 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

I need the new one that was put out for the flipper fix upper right. I'm not sure how it differs from the old one.

Here is a photo of the new coil stop and old coil stop for the upper flipper.
4EF77048-867E-4034-B510-E9CF0FA51AEA (resized).jpeg4EF77048-867E-4034-B510-E9CF0FA51AEA (resized).jpeg

2 weeks later
#4326 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

https://www.american-pinball.com/support/service/ Open a ticket. Their committee may be working from home.

Good luck. I’ve been waiting 5 days to hear back from them about a new membrane switch, after filling out that form.

3 months later
#4494 3 years ago

Hey guys, a couple weeks ago I had my highest Oktoberfest game yet at 162 million points. I happened to be streaming it as well. Thought maybe I'd share the video here in case anyone wants to take a look at my strategies with the steins and modes, etc.

I ended up getting every single extra ball (I believe), which obviously helped a lot. Therefore the game ended up being just about an hour long.

Unfortunately the audio is a little bit choppy due to a setting being off while I was streaming.

3 months later
#4682 3 years ago
Quoted from VALIS666:

Managed to get a nice package deal on this and Hot Wheels. I like watching tutorial/strategy/high level play videos for pinballs I have on the way, and I'm pretty sure I've seen some for Oktoberfest in the past, but searching Twitch and Youtube right now is giving me nothing on that topic. There were probably some on Twitch in the past that are now deleted (sideload your stuff to Youtube, people!). Anyone have anything like this bookmarked?

I know you posted this a week ago, but just seeing it now. I have one of my Oktoberfest gameplay videos on YouTube. It’s one game, about an hour long, with a final score of 162 million. Unfortunately I was having some audio issues that I didn’t know about until afterwards, so the audio is slightly choppy. But if you can get past that, it might help you with a bit of strategy

By the way I’m not too far from you, just up in Nashua. Enjoy your Oktoberfest!

1 month later
#4691 3 years ago

Who else is CONSTANTLY changing the power of their scoop coil? Man this has been driving me insane. Why are there 24 possible power settings? If I have it set at 13 it shoots it right to the very tip of the flipper, making it impossible to drop catch. If it’s at 14 then it’s so powerful it sends it all the way to the plastic inlane guide. I can not get the scoop to consistently fire out to the middle of the flipper allowing me to drop catch. Why there’s 24 power settings, when setting 13 and 14 are completely different, is beyond me. I loved this game when I got it a year and a half ago, but I find myself lately always passing over it, which is unfortunate.

Has anyone else adjusted their scoop in ways other than the coil power adjustment? What power setting number does everyone else have theirs on?

1 week later
#4693 3 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

rcb5588, if your scoop eject has changed its behavior, consider lifting the playfield and ensuring that the assembly is nice and tight, the kicker arm moves smoothly, etc.

The scoop is perfectly fine under the playfield, tight and doesn’t move at all. I also have no interference with the micro switch, and the spring and coil sleeve are fine. Absolutely nothing I do will change the scoop from either firing right to the tip of the flipper, or all the way up to the plastic inlane guide.

Has really no one else had this problem? Still would love to know why there’s 24 power settings when half will put it to the tip of flipper and the other half to the inlane guide.

6 months later
#4796 2 years ago

Does anyone else have an issue where the ball will auto plunge after locking a ball? I’d say it happens 1 out of 4 times. It never happens when it kicks out a ball for ball 1, 2, 3, or extra ball. ONLY after a ball is locked. Happens for both rollercoaster lock and beer barrel. I feel like it happens more often when I double flip to skip the lock animation. But also happens sometimes when I don’t skip it. Again, never for a normal ball in play, because if that was the case I’d assume it was the optos in the ball trough. But since it’s only after ball locks, I know it’s not an opto issue. Anyone else have this happen?

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Cabinet - Other
NO GOUGE PINBALL™
Other
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 49.99
$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation
Pinball Machine
Machine - For Sale
Wallingford, CT
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rcb5588.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin?tu=rcb5588 and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.