(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #928 Oktoberfest initial release pics and rule card pic Posted by PinballSTAR (5 years ago)

Post #1686 Updated (final?) Oktoberfest cabinet art Posted by HOOKED (5 years ago)

Post #1954 Link to 3/1/19 streaming video Posted by chuckwurt (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#82 5 years ago

I’ll play devils advocate - this could work...but only one way: it has to be FUNNY with lots of great characters, funny voices & scenarios. It has to be funny like Bally/Williams games were. It has to feel like it’s a successor to the WPC’95 games or Big Bang Bar. If it’s really upbeat and funny with appealing mechanical features that are satisfying to interact with, it could work. If it looks like another Sega game (Houdini art won’t work on this) or comes off as douchey or dated, it’ll be DOA.

#202 5 years ago
Quoted from jawjaw:

So true. So many great games of the past have questionable themes. Most of my favorite games are on quirky themes or bad movies.

The point that is almost always forgotten when discussing NEW games is that we were historically able to buy our favorite games with quirky themes or bad movies for like $2000 or less. Octoberfest will be what, like $8000? The higher the price, the more people have to be attached to the theme to depart with their money.

1 month later
#894 5 years ago

Art package - Alvin G. & Sega had a baby.

#1006 5 years ago
Quoted from jgentry:

Why are there realistic characters and cartoon style characters?

Notice Backalley Matt on the backglass amongst the weird hybrid photoshop “cartoon” people?

Quoted from TheFamilyArcade:

From an art standpoint, this is no more convoluted than GB or Deadpool. The art is totally fine. Even good maybe.

Wow. AP’s artist is terrible. This is just ugly ugly chop-shop photoshop. Legitimately convoluted mash of styles and techniques. You could say GB & DP are busy, but not convoluted. They’re absolutely consistent in their styles, drawn & colored by a real artist.

#1011 5 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Interesting comments on the art and music. The only thing I didn't like about it was the LCD animations - or the LCD in general. Just not a fan of that current fad on machines. For most, they just feel tacked on and incomplete. I miss the simpler and more creative DMD days.

Look at MBr. They’re still using dots but their display looks a billion times better than anyone else’s...why? ART DIRECTION. CGC is using amazing artists...also I find the wide aspect ratio just “pinball perfect”. When you have to glance up during play, “long rectangle” works better than “square”. With the exception of JJP almost everyone else’s LCD’s look like mid 90’s PC CD-ROM games. This actually makes a game look old, while a good color DMD like CGC’s games make a game look “retro appealing”.

#1013 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Let's get this topic back on tap; a lot of criticisms and focuses on the negatives.

When a game is $7k, critique is fair.

I’ll play it if I see it on location. There, positive? ...but the art guarantees I’d never own one.

#1061 5 years ago
Quoted from Sinestro:

LCD screens are not a fad, and DMD is not coming back.
Some of you need to get over this.

It's not about the display. It's about the art direction. So far, excellent pixel art is superior to the poor art, animation, fonts and composition of most of the LCD games so far. P3 is trying to sell itself as the evolution of pinball, but a normal person sees the art and animation and thinks it's some relic from 1995. My fiance saw Star Wars and thought the screen was confusing and horrible and compared it to a 90's CD-ROM (and she's a huge Star Wars fan). She thinks the DE SW dots are cooler and have more charm.

#1063 5 years ago
Quoted from FatPanda:

I disagree but that's cool. Still makes more of a visual impact than anything that Stern or AP is doing right now. I agree that JJP is at the top of the game as far as LCD integration goes, but it's also a bit confusing for players as well, especially if you're not familiar with the games. WoZ and TH are truly confusing. DI is much easier to understand, and isn't nearly as integral to understand progress of the game as WoZ and TH are. TBH, the cell phone is much more useful than the main screen is as far as progress and rules go but the main screen is very nice to look at. Haven't had enough time with POTC, but it seems to move towards a better mix of overly convoluted and overly simplistic. The artwork on ACNC is very nice. Yes the animations are "simplistic" but with that kind of artwork, you don't need to have 3D models or textures to make it look good. I would argue that it would take away from the general feel and consistency with the pf and cab artwork. It all blends in together very well.

Agreed. Sometimes less is more...and when the artwork is appealing, that's absolutely fine for a pinball display. ACNC is clean and concise...the artwork is good and the motion-comic style totally works.

#1072 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Thanks! I am going to discuss the process we took at one of my Portland Retro Gaming Expo panels.

Cool! Have fun! That's a great show...sorry to miss seeing you this year - gonna be in Portland in December, so sat out October this time.

#1153 5 years ago
Quoted from scruffypinball:

People can be so critical

Why wouldn’t they be for a $7000 game? This isn’t a 99 cent phone app.

#1211 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I challenge anyone to tell me that this art doesn't look better than AC/DC, aka one of the most beloved Pinside games of all time. Which is also unlovely at best. So don't crucify the game.

AC/DC (Prem/LE) looks a billion times better. Say what you will about the Photoshop Live photos, AC/DC is a cohesive package, the composition is well done, and when you look at it, it fits the theme of AC/DC. It’s not “art” like we’re used to now with Met & Maiden...but it isn’t offensively bad like 24, GOT, Austin Powers or Elvis. It’s competent product art. Not a mess like Oktoberfest’s varying styles and resolutions.

#1225 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Guys...I get it. You dont like the art. Many cant believe thats really a CD in the middle of the playfield on Monster bash, when a vinyl record looks so much better.
Its Oktoberfest ....
Move on nothing to see here...

Why bother comparing this to one of the best game’s ever made? This game doesn’t deserve to smell Monster Bash’s shit.

#1254 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

The Cannon completely obscures one of the two already brutal outlanes, and on every AC/DC I've played, the ball constantly hits the under side of the cannon, then insta-drains in the right outlane. Some people claim not to suffer it,

Yeah I’ve never had that problem, but I’ve never had a problem with games where people claim things block their view. I can see and “feel” where the ball is going and if I see it about to pass under something, I know where it’s going to be in a millisecond. When I see the ball going toward the outlane on AC/DC, I can always nudge and generally save it. I get way more drains on the left actually off the TNT targets or a series of
Bounces after a cannon shot!

#1255 5 years ago
Quoted from NimblePin:

Well, if you put Houdini next to let’s say, a Thunderbirds, (like they have in Banning) then, yeah... Houdini’s art package becomes even MORE amazing to look at!

Houdini is like a lot of Photoshop Sterns in the sense that it’s technically bad art, looks bad in lit promo pics, but under its own GI in person looks much much better. Elvis is an example of that...just horrible playfield art, but in a dark gameroom with its own GI & flasher show, the visual experience is transformed a bit.

#1261 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

You don't get ball strikes on the under side of the cannon? Those aren't savable.

Never. Not in thousands of plays. I have an original run Premium.

#1274 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

You saw this with JJP and Balcer before.
Woz was an unorthodox game with huge outlanes that wasn’t very newbie friendly.
So they came back with hobbit, the easiest longest playing dumb game of all time.
Go for the middle ground folks!

Complaining about Long games vs. short games with no context is a horrible way to critique a pinball machine.

-Content of a game matters. Hobbit has a billion things to do, so long games are fine as the content makes sense for an adventure of a game.

-Every game can be adjusted to play easier or harder

-Tournament players are in the minority, most people can’t keep a ball alive for over 2 minutes whether a game is deemed “long” or “short” by the experts.

Never listen to an opinion based on “ball time length” without context.

#1281 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

...many of which have a very same-y feel to them. Just having a LOT of modes doesn't make the game great or even fun. It's easily the worst JJP game, and I don't see them doing much more in the way of software because even with the new software it's still overall not that fun. We're not talking WWE-level bad, but it's JJPs worst by a mile, and I'm sure Jack is relieved to watch it in the rear view mirror after a troubled development and pretty mediocre sales.

So many lies. It’s beneath you. Play recent code. JJP’s best game, hands down. Modern masterpiece. The last great game any modern mfg has put out. Your loss if you can’t enjoy an incredible cinematic pinball adventure.

#1284 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

My loss then. If we're talking PRETTY, then you have a point. But I don't play pretty, and Hobbit is a very same-y game that is not much fun.
And all you have to do is look at the prices and length of time on the market (plus no more on the line) to realize that Hobbit is not the most desired JJP pin, and therefore not the masterpiece you say. You can like it (just like I and a LOT of others can dislike it), but the pricing and length of sale time says clearly "no masterpiece".

The “Pinside tastemakers” are wrong. They like Goatf***ers and every Zizzle-with-flow Stern puts out. The “market” is irrelevant to how I enjoy and review games. I thought Hobbit was garbage at first. So did you. That’s where it’s rep in this forum from the vocal haters comes from. Guess what? Play it now. It’s not the same game it used to be.

I don’t play unfun games. We can agree that WWE is a piece of shit. I’d never own or play a game that bad. I play Hobbit because it’s very fun. I like an adventure style game like TSPP & LOTR every so often, and Hobbit is the only modern game in that style.

#1286 5 years ago

-There are a lot of buying options out there and when it comes to Hobbit, most people don’t care about the movies, so that takes it off their “must spend lots of money on this” list. Theme is important.

-Pinside taste makers seem to now like math-depth & and not story/adventure depth.

-Pinside taste makers now hate widebodies, even tho TZ & STTNG were on every collector’s list for decades.

Hobbit pre-orders were $7500. So, where it’s priced in the aftermarket right now is respectable considering all these factors. I’m happy with my Smaug for the price I paid for it. Would I pay the current NIB JJP price for it? No way....but I wouldn’t buy any of their games for that price lol.

#1320 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

You do realize Hobbit holds the royal crown for Math-Depth right? do mode A and xyz modes will be multiplied, etc... And how many modes and multiplier algorithms are there in hobbit? ...nuff said. And I'm Not saying it's a bad thing, as I love that kind of detail to code

Here’s the thing - like AC/DC, Hobbit is smart enough to have that stuff in there for the hardcores, but you don’t even remotely need to know anything about it to enjoy the game. I don’t pay attention to any of that in the Hobbit - like LOTR, I play for the adventure, story, personality, and progression. The recent mathy Stern games lately don’t have any of that classic Pavlovian gameplay....it’s ALL about points strategy.

#1321 5 years ago
Quoted from vicjw66:

It's boring as f&$k and easy as f@&k.

Classic projection.

#1324 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

I keep seeing comments like this, are the bars where people live actually full of pinball machines? Because outside of barcades I've never been in a bar with a pin.

Visit Portland. Almost every bar has 2 or 3 pins.

#1334 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Pinside Top 5: Medieval Madness, Attack from Mars, Twilight Zone, Monster Bash, Iron Maiden.
I only see 2 licenses, no movie.

(MB is a license.)

Context is important when discussing licenses. The top games are popular not due to “lack of license”, but because they’ve had decades in arcades and collections to earn their well deserved reputation. They didn’t come from an era of $9k LE pre-ordering. Today’s companies prefer to have front-loaded sales. Something that nostalgic that connects to people who like pinball (like Ghostbusters, Lebowski, Metallica, etc) will have people throwing money at it because they already like “the thing”. Something like Dialed In, Full Throttle or Oktoberfest...people will say “I’ll wait to play it to see if I like it enough to spend that much.” People have to fall in love by playing it first. With a nostalgic license, they convince themselves they already love it without even seeing it.

#1385 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

After seeing the Beatles Pin posted by SDTM; can we now relax on Oktoberfest’s art package and consider it a homerun?

Nope, two things can simultaneously suck.

(Insert joke here)

#1412 5 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

I think Heidi needs to change.
I have not seen anyone in this thread who likes her aperance/pose.
I think the general art package is good and getting a more pleasant Heidi will help immensely.
The only other thing i dont love is the hands holding steins accross the apron.

They'd have to hire a new artist. They didn't hire someone who has strong character design skills like John Youssi or Kevin O'Connor. They hired a Photoshop cobbler.

#1456 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

Why do you feel the need to be so vocal? Did a higher authority pronounce you the “god of pinball design and art”. It’s old man. Move on. Seriously, you are not going to buy one of these or any AP pin for that matter so take your negativity elsewhere. Go design something for Christ sake.

Critical opinion isn't negativity. It's part of an honest discussion of things.

5 months later
#2647 5 years ago
Quoted from adamross:

Any games shipping to Los Angeles soon?

Ayce will probably get it...I can't imagine anyone here is buying it for their home, though.

#2703 5 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

According to some of the logic here, the classic arcade game Tapper should have been an epic failure (except in bars). I mean how could they possibly succeed? Besides Budweiser beer (and later on, root beer), they had aliens, cowboys and punk rocker characters.

IF ONLY Oktoberfest took its inspiration from Tapper! At the time it stood out for its detailed and appealing character design and funny animation!

#2742 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Hopefully I did not say too many dumb things, naturally I was sipping Tequila during it.

Please never do that again lol. Constant mouth noises during podcast = ear hell.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider rarehero.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin?tu=rarehero and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.