(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #928 Oktoberfest initial release pics and rule card pic Posted by PinballSTAR (5 years ago)

Post #1686 Updated (final?) Oktoberfest cabinet art Posted by HOOKED (5 years ago)

Post #1954 Link to 3/1/19 streaming video Posted by chuckwurt (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider platypus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1780 5 years ago
Quoted from Daditude:

Is there any chance a new JJP pin will be there too??

Wrong thread, this is American Pinball.

#1785 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

Wrong thread, this is American Pinball.

No slight intended, we're all casual friends here, but....

It's interesting how some threads evolve. or devolve.

#1790 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

Rosh ( Josh ) posted on Rec Games Pinball many, many, years ago. Asking for tear down pictures of Twilight Zone. Since TZ went through some changes during it's time on the assembly line, I posted that it would be better if he took his own pictures. Which killed the thread as no one posted after that.
Rosh, unbeknownst to me. Had acquired a TZ that was disassembled and had no idea where things went.
I emailed him privately, and apologized and offered pictures of mine if it would help.
Rosh started a new thread. Requesting pictures and I stayed out of it. He got pictures. Assembled his TZ. And lived happily ever after. Or so I thought.
I ran into him at MGC last year. And he made a point of thanking me for killing his thread. A thread I don't think I would have remembered. And I apologized again and explained why I had made the post.
Unfortunately, remember Nirmal's picture touching Rosh's keyboard with the do not touch sign on it ? Well, as near as I can tell. Rosh has hit men out looking for two people now.
So if I should disappear. I want people to know I hold no grudge against Rosh or his TZ. Nirmal, and the little guy between his lederhosen, is on his own.
LTG : )

Loyd, You have developed much better online composure since

#1799 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I saw on Facebook that Nirmal will be at Texas Pinball Festival. No word on if he'll have his little friend hanging around.

LTG : )

Are you talking the monkey?

Great news! I talked my wife into a Texas March vacation! Cuba fell through so this is second best.

1 week later
#1804 5 years ago
Quoted from ezeltmann:

***Beer in one hand, flip with other tournament at my house!***

Back in my college days with my buddies, if we had an odd credit left over on a game we would partner flip, two guys each with one button. I never thought of doing it with bees in hand....

#1838 5 years ago

This sounds pretty exciting, I need to stop reading these and just wait to play it.

I like the idea of call outs that direct us to what we should shot at. I can play multiple games on a new (to me) machine and still have little clue. Once you know the goals it gets much more fun. but for experienced players they can duel flip out of some text at the beginning of certain modes.

And with lighting the concept of using different colors for different modes is brilliant and helps direct us. I love the way it works with Houdini.

1 week later
#1882 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Zack has one at a show now. Someone should post pictures and stream.

Only one! good luck getting a play on it.

#1889 5 years ago

My wife complains about women with big beasts in pinball graphics. Now we have guys with big bellys. all's fair.

#1890 5 years ago

The wire forms are awesome.

#1933 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

The rock music kills it for me. There is an endless supply of music that would fit an Oktoberfest theme, and while some of it is there, the use of music outside of the theme kinda kills the theme. I love Oktoberfest and German heritage being German myself and in one of the most German states in the US. I joined a Pomeranian dance group and a Bavarian dance group at points in my life. I want to love this pin but the out of place music is a deal breaker.
Anyone know if we can mod the music in these pins ala cleland?

Nice idea, offer 3 modes, Polka easy listening, Polka festive and, Polka Rock!

#2116 5 years ago
Quoted from f3honda4me:

I hope the pin is at MGC so I can play it.

Are you kidding? In the city that is the former beer capital? and just being released? There were 2 or 3 Houdini's last year.

We can expect it.

#2287 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Ferret thinks I insult people too much

The insults do become irritating, especially when it wasn't your fault. I have been meaning to come up with a list of compliments that encourage players.

Like "concentrate and you will secede" or "We want you back on stage", "Learn to focus"

#2295 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Negative reinforcement in games is great!
Like in AFM if you're in Martian Attack and you hit the scoop instead of the second from right Martian and he says "Haha missed me!"

I consider that as just more of a smart ass comment

My favorite in Houdini is when you miss completing escape from beyond and voice says "I guess you don't know how to spell escape"

#2299 5 years ago
Quoted from PinPatch:

Lowest score of the day should get the "participation trophy" as a sarcastic award.

200 Points for your special performance!

#2301 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

How have I not heard this one?! Devil’s advocate: I do think the scoring page as-is is helpful because it tells you other ways in which you can get points which may not altogether be obvious or which you may not always remember

Maybe that is why I like that one because it comes up only so often. It is the snarky ones we always hear that become irritating. Maybe a deeper comment set would help .

The scoring page is helpful but I have to explain to people that those minuscule points don't matter and that stage illusions and multiballs are how you score.

1 week later
#2343 5 years ago

I had fun playing the games but being one of the most popular table in the hall, I only played a few rounds. The tent modes are fun. I couldn’t hear of the music.
Can’t wait to play in a quiet setting

1 week later
#2437 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

It's the definition of 'tone deaf' when you downplay the obvious issue with animations. Maybe their impressed with flip book animation? Seriously, it's such an obvious problem that I'm not sure who these other animators are who thought otherwise but whatever they're working on, someone help them too.

I grew up with classic Bugs Bunny and Road Runner animation which I love ! Donkey Kong and Pacman came along. long after that was South Park (did anybody like that?) Animation is what it is and only more recently gotten really interesting. But I don't consider it at at all important in pinball. It is pinball which happens on the playfield. I don't watch the graphics unless someone else is playing to feed my friends the text cues. I consider callout cues and flashing lights on the playfield much more important. I have played several games on this machine and am more focused on how it plays and how I should approach it.

The zombee walking guys who move sidewise are dorky, maybe they could be people standing around eating brats. On the adult program they could be drinking beer and getting topless. But again I am not watching that and focused on the ball(s).

#2438 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

Is there a rule-sheet or guide on the game that I can read up on? Now that I've played it I think everything would make more sense. I'm excited to give it another go and see how I do!

I copied whatever info I could scab off of this thread most is from Rosh. Edited and pasted below: looks like formatting was lost
I did this for Houdini too.

OKTOBERFEST-The 14 tent modes are each very different a far as what shots are needed (mode shots have inserts lit as Blue). It was a goal to be sure we leveraged all the different parts of the playfield in the modes. There is quite a variety . . .
Ring Toss is about hitting the targets on the Oktober and fest target banks, alternating one side from the other. Hitting X-in-a-row lit targets gives progressively higher scores. If you're skilled (or lucky) enough to sweep the entire lit OKTOBER bank in one shot (7-in-a-row), the points will be raining down. Completing either the OKTOBER or FEST bank gives a bonus, and completing both banks gives mongo bonus.
Stein Race, which is one handed play, starts with several shots lit, but if you shoot a shot already made (shows red), then you spill beer and the point value reduces.
Chugging -- a sequence of shots, first a two shots sequence to beat Inga, then a three shot sequence to beat Otto. And then a more difficult sequence in the re-match.
Looper, is about shooting the left ramp that feeds the coaster Preferably in sequential combos, which become more and more valuable. It's very satisfying (and valuable) to hit a 5 or 6 or 7 way combo on the Roller Coaster ramp.
Juggler is an add-a-ball, starts with two balls, then a sequence of shots to complete that adds another and then another series to add one more
Target Shooting is shooting a shifting set of lights on the PROST target bank in the middle of the playfield.
Duck Hunting hitting the four ducks targets around the playfield, can't hit the same one twice in a row
Rockin Express -- spinner scores, shoot lit orbit to increase value
Rotor -- shots lit one at time, moving left to right and then back again
Füd Frenzy -- Yes, it's a switch frenzy... but you increase the frenzy value for every *distinct* switch you hit on the playfield. Think you'll just rip the spinner like in many frenzies? That's OK, but you'd be much better off shooting a bunch of OKTOBER, FEST, or PROST targets, *then* rip the spinner. And as long as you're at it, if you shoot the spinner via the right orbit shot, try using the top lanes MagNab to catch the ball up there, and further increase the frenzy value on that TAP lane and then the pop bumpers.
Bumper Cars -- shoot pops and slings
Sky slide -- knock down drop target, shoot the vuk before it times out and target comes back up
Tap-it -- Video mode
All modes have a goal to meet to get the 'win' (tent on playfield will then show up as Green), if you don't win, you can play the mode again (shows as yellow) and it will resume where you left off. A 'beer colored' tent on the playfield means you have the stein that boosts it, but have not yet played it. The Tent you are currently in shows Blue. Play all 13 to get to the 14 tent, Flipper Meister (available soon)
And of course, each tent's scoring is multiplied if you have the stein associated with that tent.... and you can stack several of those steins if you really want to try blowing out the scoring for a tent.
But I'll share one more, you want be to sure to being using lane change for TENT letters while in a mode, you will figure out why when you play.
Also... DUCKS!

1 week later
#2705 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

well, I am pretty confident if made it just about beer, this thread would have hundreds and hundreds of posts complaining about how it is not remotely close to being reflective of Oktoberfest. Especially our German friends. And even with us being as true to it as we could, I've had folks come up to me to point out things that were not quite accurate.
To be honest the game would have also been a lot less interesting to develop and probably a lot less interesting to play, and suspect the sales would have been less as well.

You'll never please everybody, our expectations are driven by our misconceptions.

It's funny that people complain about this game that tries to be more accurate to it's real life theme when they really don't know what it is about. Do people complain about fantasy and si-fi themes? Take BKSOR, Are people complaining about hydras and sand worms not being realistic? I wouldn't know since I don't follow that thread. A movie or TV theme has lots of film footage and characters to incorporate. A real life them might be much harder to develop.

Learning about the real Oktoberfest has been fun and interesting

#2723 5 years ago

I spent quite a lot of time on Oktoberfest and Houdini through out the weekend at MGC and didn't see any crashes

#2746 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Joe Balcer designed Houdini and now I believe Oktoberfest to have game out of box with leg levelers all the way up, nut touching leg. Should be right on paperwork when you open box.

unless your floor isn't level. Adjust as needed.

4 months later
#3458 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Thanks!! I have yet to try and persuade my wife to let me have it in the house... wish me luck!! At the moment my gamesroom is far from built, so all my games are in storage... but this one I really want in the house...

Thanks! So are you saying there are varying degrees of departure from the prototype in games that left the API factory? I got the feeling that simply all the production games were the same...

Let her beat you alot, then she might let you have it in the house. It works for me.

#3462 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

Interesting strategy... the only snag is that it means I'd first have to set it up in the basement where dust exists, and she therefore doesn't step a foot in there except to rush in and ventilate the place for no apparent reason... probably to try and get rid of the dust I guess...

She still will not allow machines in the living room. We were going to build a game room in the basement when we built our house but hit solid granite and were already over budget, so no basement, no game room, I wish we would have. My tiny office has room for only two games, my other two are out on loan and I am secretively planning to buy another.

I hope you finally get a gameroom for your 127 machines, I might come visit.

1 week later
2 weeks later
#3739 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

The plunger from the scoop coil is hitting the scoop switch.

That may be why the scoop doesn't have enough power to kick out the stuck balls.

That happened in my Houdini, easy fix.

#3750 4 years ago
Quoted from PokerJake:

How'd you do it? Nothing seems adjustable.

Just reshape the actuator on the switch

3 weeks later
#3886 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

Why do you find it easier to see the scoreboard on the bottom of the screen?

That's simple, so you don't have to divert your eyes so far while you are playing. I rarely check my grand score while playing but I like to see my score on modes and would like that they display a bit longer

3 weeks later
#3979 4 years ago
Quoted from jaytrem:

Wow, 45 min! Gotta schedule your playing time with games like that. Nice work!

My flipper fingers would fatigue!

2 weeks later
#4042 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

NO chance a beginner figures that out.

I did the first or second time I played the game, although I was once an amateur/semi pro juggler so I seeked it out.

3 weeks later
#4160 4 years ago
Quoted from dannunz:

Yes I have herd that 1000 times. Any other way to get there? Houdini has you in 6 ball multi ball in 5 shots correct?

Yes and SEANCE multiball in 7 shots which is a bit easier.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider platypus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin?tu=platypus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.