(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #928 Oktoberfest initial release pics and rule card pic Posted by PinballSTAR (5 years ago)

Post #1686 Updated (final?) Oktoberfest cabinet art Posted by HOOKED (5 years ago)

Post #1954 Link to 3/1/19 streaming video Posted by chuckwurt (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballinreno.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#322 5 years ago
Quoted from knockerlover:

Can we get back to talking about the Oktoberfest pin vs useless unrelated mods?

Yeah, and I want to see BarryJ and Joe Balcer in lederhosen !

#367 5 years ago
Quoted from vid1900:

It should have lot's of real German words.
How insulting to the German people to think American Pinball could not have hired voice talent that speaks German.....
The soundtrack should be all in German too:

7 dwarves meet sleeping beauty?
Very family friendly in a Grimm fairy tales sorta way?

#368 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I'd much prefer at least mostly German audio.

Blaupunkt?

#456 5 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

Not sure, though, how a focus on consumption of alcoholic beverages translates into „family friendly“.

Many families got their start through alcohol consumption. (Burp..!)

1 week later
#495 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Actually, I think noobs have an easier time with Houdini. Diehard pinheads have a hard time and brick shots due to muscle memory from wide use of the same shot geometry on so many Sterns over the years and it's not quite the same on Houdini. Once you adjust to the table, it's great, but lots of players blame the game, not the player, which is wrong.

Exactly and well said.
My wife's 1st game, having never playing it before scored 1.3 million points.

It took me 2 weeks to beat it.

#497 5 years ago
Quoted from ectobar:

I blame the game, because I don't think anything about it is fun.

Definitely not for you then !

Is it ok for others to love this game?

#499 5 years ago

Game #3 :

Marvel's Iron Fist using TZ power balls as the FIST

#544 5 years ago
Quoted from Luzur:

Why they cant just make it a fantasy/sci-fi theme is beyond me, it used to work just fine back in the day.

Tobor the 8th man?

#566 5 years ago
Quoted from c508:

It’s not like we are asking them to wear a dirndl!

Although...

#678 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

do it with art

Who is this "Art" you speak of?

#1197 5 years ago

One thing about art:

"Everyone's a critic".

3 weeks later
#1556 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Yep - some witty writing! What does Hitler mean by "bud out" though???
Must be a nazi thing.

With all of the recent legalizations, probably take a "smoke" break? Nazi's are a little high strung, so maybe use like cat-nip?

#1565 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Absolutely. 100% completed layout refinements and final code too.

Lol

1 week later
#1593 5 years ago

I so much miss the poor handicapped girl on the backglass.

I thought it was very PC for API to use her.

People with horrible back problems need love too.

#1613 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

It doesn't need to be a polka packed soundtrack, but it DOES need to be a cohesive package. Houdini is for the most part very cohesive musically. Oktoberfest thus far is not and the changes are jarring. Jarring is bad.

JarJar ?

#1626 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Yeah that's where I saw it too.
Try white text with a nice black stroke and maybe use pink instead of white squares on background.

More Pink:

1 month later
#1717 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Those shingles were there before you were just distracted by Greta The Human Pretzel.

How dare you shame a poor, pretzel shaped, one legged woman!

1 month later
#1763 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Pretty sure they'd sell a bunch of LE bundles with all the stuff listed pre-installed.

Stern and JJP are now installing them from the factory.
I imagine all others will follow this practice.

Even GCG put a Kerry Stair/Mantis protector on the AFM scoop.

Its not only cheap insurance but good business practice.

JJP learned a lot from WOZ. Early versions didnt have any mylar at all applied to the pops and drops.
Tons of complaints about early burn thru. They fixed it by sending out free mylars to everyone who wanted them.

So, yeah if you have a scoop these days it should have some kind of protection.

#1764 5 years ago
Quoted from whitey:

Just got a Houdini last night ! Heard pros n cons about it but I really like the game. Yes the shots are tight and tough but that’s what makes it a good game for a player. Looking forward to Oktoberfest!
I think the display, build quality, is spot on! I like it better than JJP and the remakes and I own those . All the best
To American Pinball love your design
[quoted image]

Of all my games it gets the most plays.
Not only will it make you better player, Its tons of fun!

#1766 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I've said it before but Cliff has a TON of engineering experience and decades of real-world hole protection experience. If any of the manufacturers wanted to make hole designs that were more wear resistant and protector-friendly, they would really benefit from asking for his help at the design stage. He's open to collaborate and would like to see better hole designs from the factory - I've asked him. I see the beveled holes on AP machines and shake my head. The bevel will not help the wear situation and it makes it much harder to make a good protector. Houdini proved that, but they're doing it again (apparently) on Oktoberfest.

I see.

It does seem odd that almost everyone who has a couple games knows about cliffy's protectors or mantis protectors, and tries to get something going for protection, yet factories balk as this needed solution.

Although a couple layers of mylar is better than nothing I guess.

#1802 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Cant wait for second reveal and design improvements!

Maybe some Houdini code update announcements!

1 week later
#1807 5 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

bees in hand....

Most likely a tournament style of play. Something like pingolf? Definitely challenging and have epi-pens on hand....

1 week later
#1872 5 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

The plastics was the only thing I had an issue with

WHAT? You didn't like mustache girl? I swear I saw her at a bar in SF my last trip...lol

#2045 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I don't live there, but we go into the city fairly frequently (there ARE a LOT more homeless around downtown in the last few years), and never had a car break-in or trouble parking. I mean, if you can survive the Orpheum exit at NIGHT on the edge of the tenderloin district and then have to WALK 1-2 blocks to the parking, you can pretty much do anywhere downtown. The tenderloin is about as sketch as it gets.
For FGW's selection, I'd brave that every couple months and you can play all the new stuff in one place.

Free gold watch ROCKS!

#2046 5 years ago

FWIW I like Houdini animations a lot. It's part of what drew me in.

That and the very cool scratchy audio. Really fits the steampunk retro theme.

So, on Oktobetfest I think it's really fun and different...I also like it a lot from what I've seen.

Keep up the great work API and team!

Really look forward to playing a ton at TPF.

#2063 5 years ago
Quoted from BertoDRINK1:

still hate the mustache girl

Wow, still in this "New Millennium" a T-Girl can't get no love, those laser treatments aren't free you know...lol

#2064 5 years ago
Quoted from Eskaybee:

Hopefully, API figures out a happy medium for OKF, this game looks very promising and quite fun too. Can’t wait to flip it.

After reading the 4 passionate novels about graphic quality, just above this, I cant agree more.

Still, for me its what's on the table and call outs, more than the trim, cab art or on the new screens.

Cool music is a plus.

Had a great game on TH last night.

The custom soundtrack and callouts are EPIC!

#2071 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yes. It would absolutely be worth $500 more to get a full professional animation package with good art direction and cohesive design.
But it would not cost that much. They could get where they need to go by about half that, which would be "good enough" and set a platform for them to really blossom with their upcoming unlicensed titles like Sherlock Holmes and Robin Hood, etc.

I say give them time...
The market will determine if it's worth the expense.

After a game has been in the wild for a year or 2, no one cares.

It's off to the next one.

Stern, Bally and William's have proven that cheap games and lots of them is where the money is.

I dont know if this new home "Collectors" market is sustainable

Earnings are king.

#2096 5 years ago
Quoted from alexanr1:

It’s really fun to play. I hope everyone here gets a chance to play it.

Very much looking forward to playing it a TPF. Might be one of the highlights of the show.

Looks like great fun!

#2098 5 years ago
Quoted from bobukcat:

Just be sure you don't look at the display while playing or all fun will be voided.

Lol, noted. Haha

#2102 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Question I'd like to ask ....how many of those on this thread are currently buying this machine?
Discussion is great but who is putting money down?

With my incredible experience of owning Houdini, I can only think that Oktoberfest will be a Huge Hit!
API games are thoughtful, challenging and exciting. A perfect fit for home use or a busy location.
I look forward to playing it and will consider buying it after I play it at TPF.

#2159 5 years ago
Quoted from TiltDis:

If it hasn’t been posted before... Pac-Man Entertainment in Schaumburg, IL has an Oktoberfest on location! Looks to be production game possibly based on the backglass and cabinet.
[quoted image]

Looks great!

2 weeks later
#2363 5 years ago

About the general illumination:

On friday night at TPF when the lights were down low, it seemed that Oktoberfest needed more general illumination.

It was pretty dark in the room for awhile.

A lot of games were dark and hard to see/play, including Munsters pro, not just Oktoberfest.

Much better when the room lights were up.

Might need to add some spot lights.

#2373 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

https://www.pingraffix.com/ Joe had side blades and topper stuff for Octoberfest. Some that have the light show. At TPF. Looked great.
No idea if any come with game or not.
LTG : )

The lighted topper they had set up on that one game, looked really nice.

#2400 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

so I'm not surprised by the hate

I am surprised by it.

I am also surprised by the haters hate for Houdini.

I find the animations campy, fun and very game-like.

Hate on. Haters!

"Haters gotta hate..." lol

I really like what you guys are doing. I get it.

I love Houdini. It's an amazing game, getting better and better with all the updates.

I can see that Oktoberfest will be even more amazing!

The non-stop long lines at TPF for Oktoberfest tells me it's a hit!

Great job API

#2429 5 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Sometimes progress is more important than substance. The artwork, imo, was the last thing they focused on prior to Expo. And from playing it there, to playing it at TPF, it was pretty obvious, the table was so close to being presentable, that they did present it at Expo, with Twisted Sister our favorite bar maid contortionist, along with Oafish Otto, who has a grin so large you can see his rear molars, not to mention Mr. P.C. Monkey the Magician and his disapearing hand. They needed to get it out to show they can compete, they can develope, that they are significant players in the arena. Did they stumble? most would say they didn’t leave the blocks clean, and have been limping ever since. I think they wanted to capitalize on JJPOTC’s mech misteps and get 2 alternate titles, and thus alternate buyer choices to the market to capitalize.
Then CGC got their MBrLE in line for Expo, JJP got Eric to stand and play games with us players and explain his POTC creation, and everyone went and bought a MBrLE, or a AFMr or a MMr, or a JJPOTC, or DP, or BM66Prm, or IMDN, or any number of other Stern titles to choose from, and Mr. Poor Castrated Monkey was left holding his own hand and crying while Pinside rips the Artwork, the LCD, and the animations, does a double take at JJP WOZYBR’s price, thinks about waiting for WW, TS, GNR, thinks hard about a Munsters Premium, and plops it’s money down on BKSoR LE and waits.
I think in any other timeframe than this one, Oktoberfest would have been a great machine, could have been (or could still be, with some changes) a big seller, and would have cemented AP as a player in the game. Right now, they have something, but people are confused as to what that “something” is. They are acting like Gottlieb if you ask me sincerely, kind of a runner up, or always the third wheel when talking the big three.

Sadly I agree with a lot of this.
The market seems saturated but its still growing.
I like API for the simple reason that they are doing " thinking out of the box" designs.

Standard pinball fan layouts with increasingly complex code are the rule these days but, new engaging ideas are few and far between.

I think if API sticks to its guns and produces amazing alternative games and styles, takes some risks and doesnt cave or change course, they will he here for the duration.

I liked the Gott reference

#2436 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

impressed with flip book animation

Thats me!
also impressed with pop-up cards and Rotoscopes...

#2514 5 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Well I just reread my post and it didnt come out right. You personally know about srt and .aking a fun game. Is what I meant to get across is that a pro might be overly critical, whereas the layman, such as myself, might not see it as a big deal. Of course when the pros get critical, it pushes the developer to improve.
Back on topic. Can't wait to play one day.

I tend towards being an average shlub.

I barely notice color or art.
But if it's well done, I do appreciate it.

Mostly I keep my head down focusing on flashing lights and the ball.

And where I set my drink...

#2562 5 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

What's the story on the characters that once sat in the bumper cars (Duckie, Hot Dog, Monkey)? Cost cutting, or is it that they wouldn't fit under the wireform, or something else? They were super cool, way better than empty bumper cars.

They wouldnt fit under the wireformed ramp.

#2590 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

criticism is constructive or idiotic,

Its Pinside!

2 weeks later
#2763 4 years ago
Quoted from zaki:

Wow.. this game is bad. Where do I start..the animation. Houdini was better

I disagree, I dont think this game is bad at all.
In fact after I played quite a few games at TPF on early code, I thought is was super fun!
It will only get better with code updates.

I thought is was much more fun and original than the new Munsters games setup everywhere.

#2768 4 years ago
Quoted from Yelobird:

I thought that was a RUSH trick....

Nope, both wrong... Snagglepuss:

2 weeks later
#2876 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I see they've been added to the list. Thanks! Looking forward to checking out Oktoberfest in person.
Weird that no one is bringing a Spooky Rob Zombie when there's so many people trying to sell one...they have all the "offical" Spooky (no Jetsons or Dominoes contract ones) except that one.

No Jetsons !
WTF ? Lol

2 months later
#3358 4 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

Thanks Josh. All good points but I prefer spiral over '3 ring loose leaf' binders because less chances of pages getting stuck/torn when flipping through them. Also, I can always get updated pages interlaced if necessary for just a few bucks. I have 3 JJP games now and I feel OKT 'deserves ' a manual as good as those. I do have a real appreciation now why JJP charges as much as they do for their manuals, a real bargain if you ask me. BTW, if any one else is thinking of doing the same thing, put a copy of the OKT color sales sheet in the front. It looks great.

I printed at work.
Spiral bound at kinko's.

Nothing smells better than stolen office supplies...lol

3 weeks later
#3404 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

And we are most certainly not done yet. Enjoy!

Any love for Houdini?
Just sayin'...

1 month later
#3861 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

So you've never cradled the ball deciding what to shoot at next? I'd like to decide how to play the game if that's OK with you, Stein selection is a strategic choice, like a board game... I don't see how being given more time to decide can negatively effect anyone... you can still select a Stein immediately with the flipper buttons! I realise that flipping between Steins is a way to delay the auto select, but its a pain trying to read and adsorb the benefits while switching Steins... and it won't let me get another beer, unless I'm playing with someone else and can get him to keep shuffling Steins 'till I get back... a simple code tweak can solve this and won't force players who don't like to wait to wait... best for everyone, no?

Meh?

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider pinballinreno.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin?tu=pinballinreno and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.