(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #928 Oktoberfest initial release pics and rule card pic Posted by PinballSTAR (5 years ago)

Post #1686 Updated (final?) Oktoberfest cabinet art Posted by HOOKED (5 years ago)

Post #1954 Link to 3/1/19 streaming video Posted by chuckwurt (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider knockerlover.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#222 5 years ago
Quoted from JodyG:

Uhhh, yeah....good luck with that one AP? Can't wait to hear the thought process on that theme decision.

You have 8 games in your collection, if 7 of them were to come out today.. you'd say the same thing.

#223 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

For those who don't know Ferret, he was the primary rules programmer on Alien, who's code has seemed very well received. I think he's 100% an asset on any game he's involved in, he's a good player, and he thinks about the way everything fits together. I would work again with him in a heartbeat, were I inclined to work on another pinball. Heh.

Ferret Made Alien (Heighway Pinball) one of the best theme integration games ever, up there with Star Trek next generation. It's engaging, and a deep/fun ruleset that keeps you coming back for more. I keep thinking what would he be able to do with something like a Champion Pub only w/ more of an Oktoberfest twist. I can't wait to see it, and will be keeping a very close eye on what's to come. My only hope is that American Pinball takes a long hard look at what they could have done better with Houdini, and spend a little more time in the whitewood phase. For all those who think theme is everything, go buy a Houdini and don't complain about the shots

#283 5 years ago

“Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds.”

I for one am glad that there is a company willing to try something different and not so safe.. than the usual tired bands, movies, comic books, tv shows..

#295 5 years ago
Quoted from adol75:

One would think, without knowing German or Germany that Oktoberfest is something that has to do with October and a Fest....

Wrong answer

#315 5 years ago

Runs this year from sept 22-oct 7, 9 days in September, 7 in October.

#320 5 years ago

Can we get back to talking about the Oktoberfest pin vs useless unrelated mods?

1 week later
#449 5 years ago

Will we see Oktoberfest at expo this year?

4 weeks later
#727 5 years ago

At expo! Looking forward to launch time!

#807 5 years ago

Dead flip is setting up, the first part of the talk just started.

#812 5 years ago

The most trustworthy vendors leak pictures early..

#819 5 years ago
4B44FB54-2B7F-477E-9EDE-E0A23F0AF158 (resized).jpeg4B44FB54-2B7F-477E-9EDE-E0A23F0AF158 (resized).jpeg
#823 5 years ago
DC277FFE-AEF7-40AB-9D66-804CD5117094 (resized).jpegDC277FFE-AEF7-40AB-9D66-804CD5117094 (resized).jpeg
#824 5 years ago

Ball/lock stealing for beer barrel multiball sounds cool!

3B2479CD-743D-425A-BCBD-BBB5BD68B12F (resized).jpeg3B2479CD-743D-425A-BCBD-BBB5BD68B12F (resized).jpeg98394C81-7A62-43BC-B1D0-38FFF98BCC4D (resized).jpeg98394C81-7A62-43BC-B1D0-38FFF98BCC4D (resized).jpeg
#1155 5 years ago
Quoted from RustyLizard:

One thing you have to admit about this game is that all the modes are intents.

Yeah all of them are very much so intents

#1162 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

probably meant intense

It was a dad joke.. all the modes are in “tents”

#1170 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

That dude that custom-planked that Monster Bash playfield and made the custom Kill Bill machine (and others) could straighten that art out, guaranteed.

That would be Geert Koop and yes his work is awesome..

#1178 5 years ago

Ok enough with the “metal” references. It’s Polka music with a little bit of a rock twist. Go listen to some lamb of god, black dahlia murder, or cannibal corpse then come back and see if you still think it’s metal.

I don’t think authentic polka music is very exciting and energetic to play pinball to, and think it made sense to spice it up a little. But cmon, it isn’t metal.

#1181 5 years ago

Few more pictures from launch night. I was “Frist!” To play right after roger. In a group of four it was a blast. Player before me on ball one got a ball locked in the barrel (physical lock woot!). I spent the next two balls trying to perfect the left orbit to upper right flipper shot and locked another two balls stealing his lock to start multiball.

This game is going to be a lot of fun to drink beer with friends, play one handed, and fight over locked balls..

77104634-C821-4836-92BD-72F100CD72D1 (resized).jpeg77104634-C821-4836-92BD-72F100CD72D1 (resized).jpegE6279BAE-3CE8-4CE2-8A3B-E8A436F82329 (resized).jpegE6279BAE-3CE8-4CE2-8A3B-E8A436F82329 (resized).jpeg
#1277 5 years ago
Quoted from mnpinball:

Josh is doing a great job on code here.

Don’t forget about @ferret!

1 year later
#3945 4 years ago

Our Okto on location has been operating since mid June, and received about 1500 plays. People seem to like it, but we have had a few issues. Posting below for others in case they experience something similar.

- People were reporting balls were hopping off the wireform from the food vuk. The wireform was missing a spot weld when it arrived and we needed a replacement which AP provided.
- The dollar bill validator was for 110v, and we needed to order a conversion harness for 12v which AP provided.
- A few months later the DBV stopped working, and we disconnected it. Could be the DBV, but suspect the harness.
- The membrane switch in the barrel lock was faulty, and needed to be replaced (lock 3 was always red in switch test)
- The membrane switch for the coaster lock 1 was intermittent. Fortunately AP service sent two membrane switches for the barrel lock issue.
- The coaster lock coil release coil stopped working, magic smoke, and coil tests with almost no resistance and needs replaced.
- The "Tap It" Tent LED on the Tent light board, is missing blue color and needs replaced.

Without the corkscrew coaster lock coil in the game, the game will not qualify the left ramp shot, even if the switches are working. The ability to enable virtual locks would be nice, so the game could still function if this coil were out. It would be even better if the shot could be qualified without this lock coil in place.

#3947 4 years ago

Re the DBV

Quoted from Ferret:

Did you discuss this with API support / Barry

No, not yet. We dropped the price to .75 a game.

Which reminds me, for other operators and location players out there. Currently the game “removes” partial credits after a game is played.

If you put $1 on a game that costs .75c, the 25c leftover cannot be used. The display shows the .25c partial credits remaining but when you add more money, it doesn’t increase to .50c. The display changes from “0.25” to “$0.25” when another credit is added.

Feature, Bug, Both? You decide.

#3950 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

You bought a used one ? If so probably cheaper to get a new used one than get yours fixed.
If new, contact the manufacturer.
Here is a great source of rebuilt ones :
ebay.com link » Mars Mei Ae2611 U5 Bill Validator With 115volt Takes 1 New 5 00 10 20
They come with a 500 capacity cartridge, which won't fit in a pin, ask him for 300 count ones.
LTG : )

I didn’t buy a used bill validator.

#3953 4 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Interesting. I had a problem when I first got my game where I had balls in the Corkscrew cue at the end of a game and the software tried to release them as usual. For whatever reason, the Corkscrew Release coil didn't have enough strength to release the balls. When that happened, with balls stuck in the cue, the software kept trying to release them. The release coil sat there making a buzzing sound, trying to move its armature, getting hotter and hotter. I wondered whether or not the software would have ever stopped energizing that coil had I not powered down quickly. The coil survived, I adjusted the mechanism so balls always release as they should, and it hasn't happened since.

Thanks for that data point, I do wonder since that costed lock membrane switch was randomly showing ghost locks if this maybe made that coil fail.

#3959 4 years ago
Quoted from rockrand:

I am getting phantom barrel locks now also,api is sending me out a pair of membranes today

I’m not sure I understand the design decision to use those membrane switches.

#3961 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballslave:

If they're reliable then I guess they're cheaper and easier to install than micro switches... the snag is that with this particular manufacturer, there seems to be a reliability issue... they used to be OK on games like Strker Extreme from my belief...

My biggest heartburn with this game so far, is the need to go to the manufacturer for parts. So all these speciality parts are a pain in the ass, made worse by their unreliability.

It takes a little bit longer to go through warranty service/ticketing/support. As a location operator, I’d rather just buy the part from somewhere that can get it to me fast.

Downtime is money, and this game has been down a lot recently.

#3963 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

Have you contacted tech support at American Pinball yet?
I think you'll be pleasantly surprise on how fast you get helped?
Also have you contacted the distributor you purchased the game from?

Do you operate games? Do you know what an extra 2-3 days of downtime means in terms of earnings? On a 7500 game, every dollar counts. Downtime on location also diminishes clients and location owners perceptions.

Of course I work through a distro. It takes a few days longer and my time to go through a distributor, file a ticket, talk to a support person to determine if it can be fixed and do their own troubleshooting..where I have to drive to the location 40 minutes away when they are available.. Then they send a part, RMA that I sometimes have to send back at my expense. It’s easily 3-4x more of MY time that I NEED to spend elsewhere.

I’d rather just CC order a $10 part, vs deal with all that. But with AP I don’t have that option. Using things like these membrane switches and having AP part numbers on everything is a pain in the ass and unnecessary. I get it for legitimate game specific parts (light boards, whatever), but these switches are an application where a standard set of switches would be fine. The fact that they have both failed so quickly doesn’t give me confidence that this is a reliable part.

#3967 4 years ago

To the normal collector or someone in their home, this sort of turnaround time is probably acceptable. To me, it's not. Here's the comparison.

Marco Order Submitted 7:27am (Day 1)
Marco Shipment Notification 11:32am (same day)
In-Transit (Day 2)
Marco Product Arrives (Day 3)

---

American Pinball Ticket Submitted About a Coil and Lightboard Issue - Tue, Nov 12, 3:06 PM (Day 1)
Radio Silence (Day 2)
I have to email customer support - (Day 3)
Barry Responds with Tracking information about the prior switch issue.
Barry then responds with "That is boxed and is going out today."

---

Also, your website to order isn't user friendly and there is an error in your documentation. The part number written on the coil and in the manual is "SUB0016-00A"

Screen Shot 2019-11-14 at 12.02.31 PM (resized).pngScreen Shot 2019-11-14 at 12.02.31 PM (resized).png

You have the part labeled differently on the site..and cannot be found in search..
9B3FEB1F-7AC5-4BDB-960F-165F72A27C23 (resized).png9B3FEB1F-7AC5-4BDB-960F-165F72A27C23 (resized).png

So, I have to browse through all the pages.. hope I filter on the right thing to find it? There are 65 products on your page, there is no way to determine what parts are for houdini or oktoberfest.. can't wait for game 3. Of those 65 products, 10 of them are promotional products t-shirts, and stickers.. at least 23 other products are houdini specific. With a 39 page assembly manual for Oktoberfest, let's not pretend I can easily order whatever I need from the AP Store.

Now extrapolate this experience to all the issues we've had in only 4 months..

DBV Adapter/Harness
Wireform Weld Missing
Barrel Lock Switch
Coaster Lock Switch
Coaster Lock Coil
Tent Light Board

1 week later
#3999 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

After Thanksgiving Special.
LTG : )[quoted image]

Buy membrane switches.. in bulk..

#4002 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

American Pinball has a separate promotion on games.
LTG : )[quoted image]

LOL “Promotion”

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider knockerlover.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin?tu=knockerlover and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.