(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #928 Oktoberfest initial release pics and rule card pic Posted by PinballSTAR (5 years ago)

Post #1686 Updated (final?) Oktoberfest cabinet art Posted by HOOKED (5 years ago)

Post #1954 Link to 3/1/19 streaming video Posted by chuckwurt (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#260 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

Yep. JJP gave out 1.0 version light boards for YEARS after WoZ was manufactured in 2013, initially for free, and then for like 1/2 price. First owner, second owner, third owner, it didn't seem to matter. They had a problem and they took care of customers affected by it. Frank at JJP is great to deal with.

Funny... I remember it another way. JJP had a known faulty design, knew their customers would be impacted by it, and instead of tackling the problem head on, required customers to wait to fail, and then would only ship them piece meal solutions... resulting in customers dealing with frustrations for years.. instead of wiping out the problem with broad strokes like anyone who really 'took care of customers' would.

#287 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

I don't dismiss, just don't appreciate. The menu system in Houdini is very unique. And very costly for little value added. I bet many wish they had just done something simple (and more standard) and put that extra effort into perfecting the game.

funny... bet many people feel that way about coindoor remotes...

#308 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

[quoted image]

dunk (resized).jpgdunk (resized).jpg

1 month later
#1096 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

It's not about the display. It's about the art direction. So far, excellent pixel art is superior to the poor art, animation, fonts and composition of most of the LCD games so far. P3 is trying to sell itself as the evolution of pinball, but a normal person sees the art and animation and thinks it's some relic from 1995. My fiance saw Star Wars and thought the screen was confusing and horrible and compared it to a 90's CD-ROM (and she's a huge Star Wars fan). She thinks the DE SW dots are cooler and have more charm.

Remember when everyone was harping on how LCDs will drive costs down for manufacturers... This topic is the front that everyone who focused on the material BOM just could not get through their head. Designing in a much deeper vivid canvas with high expectations on detail and integrated media is not quick, nor cheap!

#1263 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

You don't get ball strikes on the under side of the cannon? Those aren't savable.
I've no issue with the cannons on STTNG that people moan about, and which are far less obstructive than the cannon on AC/DC.
I've absolutely zero problem with Popeye and it's one of my favourite games.

If the ball is hitting the canon... something is wrong. Probably the wire routing.

The complaint on sttng is the shape of the slings DUE to the canons... not the canons themselves.

Right drains aren’t monsters on acdc

#1282 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

So many lies. It’s beneath you. Play recent code. JJP’s best game, hands down. Modern masterpiece. The last great game any modern mfg has put out.

I LOL'd

#1341 5 years ago
Quoted from DS_Nadine:

Dracula and friends are pretty old, Universal doesn't hold any rights to them...
Don't know it of every character of course..

The stories are old... but the Universal Monsters are their IP and they do control the rights to THOSE VERSIONS OF THE CHARACTERS.

So not 'all draculas' but 'their dracula'

#1421 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

Is this much different than other companies offering different models with different art? So much for the one model for all philosophy.
Add-on? Why not just an option at no extra charge? Out-Sterning Stern here? You get to pay for the mediocre art, then pay again for a different art package.

Instead of thinking 'good' vs 'bad'...

Consider

"Adult" vs "Family"

And consider if your bashing tone is still appropriate.

#1429 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

People like to try to frame this as an Adult/Family either/or, but as others have already argued, I agree it's not that.

I think you are blurring conversations... because if you follow what barry replied to, and the posts after.. that's not what you've said.

Quoted from HighVoltage:

One thing is clear, it's not popular, and they've admitted as much with this new "add-on" artwork that they just came up with.

Again, you're inserting your own conclusions as if they were supported by the cites. They are not. Stop leaping.

#1430 5 years ago

Seems people have quickly forgotten JJP's 'radcal' program

#1446 5 years ago
Quoted from HighVoltage:

It's obvious my response was about the "add-on" philosophy: -you- tried to reframe the discussion to be about adult/family. Hey, play with your straw man if you like, but you can do so alone.

Dude... barry replied to a guy asking for more cleavage... barry responds saying we plan on making an alt art package. Then, barry replied again with "The alternative art package will be more of an adult theme and therefore an option to the standard art package" - What more do you want? It's straight from the horse's mouth. Alt-art is about addressing different desires.. not 'upgrading to replace bad art'.

Quoted from HighVoltage:

I'm sure the "add-on" artwork was in the plan the whole time, it's got nothing to do with the reactions on here. You make your conclusions, and I'll make mine, and we can just disagree.

If you've paid attention, you've seen people like Josh saying they wanted more cleavage all along, and other commentary about the choices. Maybe they've just decided the demand is worth exploring based on feedback...

Or, its all an elaborate coverup like you've suggested, seeded long before reveal, and they plan on making people pay for alt-art as a way to address negative comments about a prototype game.

Place your bets...

#1491 5 years ago

We all remember KISS's impossible art right? And it was done by KConner...

Pinball art is full of distortions and things that just don't quite fit.

1 month later
#1640 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Here is how the game industry fans react to bad fonts in $60 products:

hes-right-you-know-32644960 (resized).pnghes-right-you-know-32644960 (resized).png

Simple code patch for that at least...

3 weeks later
#1683 5 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

They were hoping to be in the new building by the end of the year and 30 Octoberfests shipped by then.

and that was also woefully wishful thinking at the time

1 month later
#1812 5 years ago

Official stein race beta testing bjsilverballs

#1823 5 years ago
Quoted from HOOKED:

Are you not allowed to post pictures and a vid?

It looks like octoberfest

His particular example is not a 'final' version of the game.. so cabinet/etc are not representative of the shipping product. So from that angle photos are pretty anti-climatic. But the playable portion of the game is all production level stuff.

#1829 5 years ago
Quoted from luvthatapex2:

I am curious how far your friends made it through the game last night. I ask this this because 14 tents is alot of modes to cover (and sound really cool) and I'm going through difficulty balancing with something I'm working on too.

Qualifying modes is easy.. and the mode start shot is readily available to the players. So if you kept the ball alive, you could go deep in the tents. Finishing modes is a different story

#1834 5 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Thanks for saying that, I think it is pretty easy and been debating with Ferret if we should change the stein that makes it easier to spell TENT to something else that I feel could benefit from a 'stein boost'. Curious to see what he thinks after he gets to play it more. Of course for someone who has no issue with spelling TENT, they would likely not take that stein, at least until they need it to complete the set, but the question is, is there some other aspect of the game that could benefit from the boost or is it better to have it so someone who does not know how to use the flippers to lane change . . .

As it stands.. I wouldn't say change is 'needed' at this point.. tho maybe there could be some 'fun' boosts in its place. I didn't track it per say... but it looked like tent was enabled at game start.. possibly even ball start (which one assumes is just a easy/hard/etc setting). But whatever it is about the geometry of the game, the ball was always finding the inlanes, so I never had the "how do I get the ball over there!!" moment trying to qualify the tent.

Things I found more challenging were shooting otto except from the plunge... shooting the barrel ramp and getting a clean shot at the center food shot. We would still get some interesting ball spin outs on the tent scoop.. and I found myself avoiding shooting from the right flipper because hitting the post on the back-right of the tent shot was deadly.

A theme in my feedback was I wanted more player feedback to what was happening. Things specifically stood out were things like hitting the food drop target.. the ball saves.. or prost letters (especially in the mode where you shot for those.. missing by hitting the wrong letter should provide some feedback).

I'd also like to see more audible feedback to the player guiding them to something if they aren't really getting it. IE the 'taunt' or 'lead them to something' callout. If you aren't in a mode - it can be a little barren in knowing "what should I be doing?". More visual feedback when progress is made on a qualifier could help there as well (Example: think hitting aerosmith letters.. or spelling theatre.. you get audio and video feedback on what that progress is and what it does for you). So you don't always have to tell me what to do.. but if you give me hints about progress made during my flailing... seeing/hearing something interesting may make me go 'ooo.. I want more of that!'

Things like knowing the blue lights guide you through the modes was a concept that once explained, helped greatly, but that wasn't necessarily obvious upon walking up to the game. The magnet nabs, collects, and features aren't necessarily obvious when playing a few games either.

I walked up 'cold'.. not having watched any of the previous gameplay (just a few minutes worth..) to have an objective take on it. The items like responses and feedback I know will mature as ferret now has his unlimited live play time with the game

1 week later
#1916 5 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

the wire forms obscure the view of the playfield.

That's why it's wireforms and not solid ramps... they obscure nothing

#1938 5 years ago

We played the game for hours and it took an hour or two before I heard something that made me go “oh that must be what they were talking about from expo re:rock”

It really doesn’t stand out as rock all the time to me.. maybe it’s just the coaster mb when it really went rock? I don’t recall because honestly it didn’t stand out as something to bother me at all. I think people are over analyzing this element. Just try playing the game then sum up your thoughts.

#1969 5 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

I also watched various segments throughout the stream, but never caught a single ball going into the barrel or a beer barrel multiball in action

It’s a bit like the warp ramp on sttng. You gotta find it.. and it takes a few games. It’s a tough shot, but not because it cheats you or anything.

#1977 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I will say that I hit the side ramp a couple times where I thought it should’ve went but stopped short. Might be a flipper power issue not sure. But that can obviously be adjusted. Or I just flat out missed it. Not sure.

Try when it gets all the way up to the top and the bend.. and then comes back. That hurts

It's steep... no lie. But it's not flawed - its a hard shot. That's allowed in pinball... but the original quoted armchair critic just wanted another bit to throw around to enlighten us all with about flaws in the game he knows, but no one else does yet.

#2023 5 years ago
Quoted from luckycreature:

From the stream I didn't see many balls lasting longer than 30seconds to a minute. Are the shots that difficult or is there a learning curve that just isn't there. I seem to remember Jacks stream at Expo people were having much longer ball times.
Still, ready to try it once on location near me.

When people are playing at a show on a brand new game... they have no time to get adjusted, learn the game, etc. It's not uncommon for games to be way less successful. Don't read into the ball times.

The game played like most others when we played it in private.

#2184 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The fact that almost every woman in the artwork had their butts to camera was too consistent to not be deliberate.

The rollercoaster girl would like a word with you... She hearts Pinball

#2205 5 years ago
Quoted from arcadem:

Really poor behavior by a company that is trying to create a name and a niche for itself.

Learning and practicing good budgeting and adherence to it is an example of a good company.

What you argue is just $5... do that for the multitude of decisions that impact a build and you'll end up unable to market what you want, at the price and margin you want.

If someone wants some plastic stick-ons.. go for it. I'd rather they cost out some figures than attack something not so trivial to change after the fact.

#2227 5 years ago
Quoted from branlon8:

so what’s going on behind Otto? In the photos, it looks like there is a captive ball next to the upper slingshot - does the ball hit a switch behind Otto? And behind the VUK sink hole it appears there is a lane leading to the left. Do balls fly over the sinkhole to enter the lane or are balls coming from elsewhere to reach the VUK from the rear? Is this lane maybe connected with the captive ball somehow?

Otto is a target and hole
Just below him and wrapping around him to the left is a captive ball that rolls back over multiple points (think the strength meter kind of thing). It's drawn with art to suggest it measures how far you hit it.. but no idea what it actually does. I don't know if we ever hit it
The left orbit goes behind all this and feeds up to the rollovers. The orbit is accessible via the up/down ramp entrance to the left ramp

1 week later
#2324 5 years ago

I just put up 2891000 and had a shot at starting all the tents... but the line was getting grumpy

#2325 5 years ago

Pingrapphix was ahead of the game and already has animated lighting versions of the topper and interior art blades.

Some different styles too.

Sober made is hhhaaarrrdddd

#2339 5 years ago
Quoted from oohlou:

I played it a bunch at TPF. I really enjoyed it. The artwork and theme are kinda misses for me personally but it is really fun to play. I won't be buying it but I hope some of my collector friends / local pinball places do.
Question:
Both the left ramps are really hard to hit. The yellow upper flipper shot is doable but you have to hit it just right. The far left ramp (the roller coaster) rejects too much. I am not a great player but I was playing with some of the best pinball players in the world (3 guys who finished top 20 in the tournament) and even for them the ramp is so steep it rejects 3 out of 4 shots or more. Is that the design intention for this ramp? Were the flippers just weak?

Probably just a setup issue with the game you were on. The left ramp is pretty easy to hit with a clean shot. I locked 3 balls right in a row and started MB for instance on a game I was playing. The barrel ramp is harder.. but gets easier once you get some practice. Think of it like the warp ramp on STTNG.. difficult, but trainable to get better.

1 week later
#2403 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

I’m just frustrated by the tone deafness on the animations. API has gotten a ton of feedback going back to Houdini on the perceived deficiencies in the cohesiveness of the art and animation. I’m okay with the art but the animations are really terrible and yet there appears to be no recognition of the problem.

What are you expecting? You say 'tone deaf' - other people see 'reality'.

Do you really expect them to go back and junk the entire visual platform and all the media assets now?

Do you want them to say "oh shit, we didn't realize that.. my bad"? They knew what they had, what you are talking about is the public RECEPTION to it. What outcome were you really hoping for before labeling them "tonedeaf"?

#2415 5 years ago
Quoted from konjurer:

The animations...Yes I do. They can do it iteratively. The reason I said they were "tone deaf" is because there is very little recognition by API that the animations are a problem area. Nothing to make me feel like they recognize the issue or that there is a plan in place to improve.

Well they are running a business... not a hobby project. They’ve been plenty honest in responding to people and listening to the feedback. But it’s a business... and stuff doesn’t happen for free in dollars or time. So one should consider the feasibility and practicality of something before slamming people for not doing it.

#2445 5 years ago
Quoted from delt31:

It's the definition of 'tone deaf' when you downplay the obvious issue with animations

No, tone deaf is making choices or doing something WITHOUT AWARENESS. Downplaying or ignoring would be stubborn or dismissive.

They knew what they had.. they aren't blind to it. They've acknowledged the comments. They aren't blind to or obvious to any of it.

The question is if its worth spending on changing. Clearly their decision was 'no' and they've stuck with the same format they've had since the game's first public reveal... nearly SIX MONTHS ago.

Maybe it's time for people to catch on.. it's not radically changing!

#2495 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

There's no depth to any of this art, that's why it looks flat.
Here's a simple mockup. The beer is closer to the camera, which makes it look more inviting. Like "Here, have a beer!" not "I'm holding this beer against my nipple!"
Give it a slight tilt. Shade around the beer to show it's clearly in front of the subject. I also adjusted the arm so it looks more like the forearm is pointing forward (like the photo of the woman above) which then makes the angle of the fist make sense.
[quoted image]

pass...

Of all the issues with the art, I think this is by far the least worthy of mention. Conner's goofs with KISS and BKSOR are way more 'abnormal'.

My biggest beef with the media is it's a smorgasbord of styles with almost no rhyme or reason to shift from one presentation to another. Its like taking 5 different people in isolation and then merging at the end.

#2558 5 years ago
Quoted from Bond_Gadget_007:

I know code isn’t finished, but I noticed you can keep going into Juggler mode and get a myltiball every time. So right now it’s Juggling tent all day until they figure this out.

just because you can do something.. doesn't mean it will necessarily pay off

1 week later
#2685 5 years ago

TLDR - people unwilling to learn will cling onto stereotypes until they die... because learning or changing is hard.

It’s better to argue till their blue in the face then spend 10mins learning how what they thought they knew isn’t the full picture.

#2735 5 years ago
Quoted from Whysnow:

I found the sweet spot (just like baywatch but other side of game ) just steep ramp and not enough 'umph' when hitting it perfect.

At TPF there was so much 'umph' that several times I got a bounce back all the way from the top of the ramp back out. This sounds like a localized situation for you...

#2736 5 years ago
Quoted from MikeS:

The game also needs a slightly stronger shooter spring as the current one is often too weak to collect a Stein off the skillshot

Palm it.. and it goes in nearly every time

2 months later
#3144 4 years ago
Quoted from BarryJ:

Where did you play the Oktoberfest that was not setup correctly?

Our local one is still struggling in its initial setup.

Balls from the food VUK seem to race down the rail of the connecting habittrail and fly out the left side instead of dropping into the habitrail to the inlane. The VUK just barely gets the ball over the top, so it's not VUK power. It looks like when it drops into the connecting habittrail it doesn't drop in.. rather rides the second rail.

The ball can get hungup on the shooter lane gate very easily for some reason... so soft plunges often lead to stuck balls with zero chance of ball search moving it as there are no coils around there (tho I don't think ball search will even go off)

Hard plunges often go to the target below the rotating gate... instead of into the bar hole.

The plunger spring seems super weak and unless you palm it.. no way to get the ball up near the bar at all on a plunge

Barrel ramp is impossible (and I've played a half a dozen different examples.. I know what is normal..)

This is a brand new game delivered in the last two weeks.. I don't think the owner has had a chance to try to dial it in.

2 months later
#3545 4 years ago

rosh is the food drop target only pulled down by gravity? No spring?

The one here is not dropping unless pushed down. There is just no urge for the target to drop when hit

#3548 4 years ago
Quoted from LTG:

I don't have the game to check. I don't recall a drop target without a spring. There is a notch on the side for the spring to hook to the drop target and the assembly frame to snap it down.
LTG : )

Thx ltg... it seemed obvious there should be a spring... but I could not see one in the diagram in the assembly manual... and nothing was found in the game. Now to look and see if the tab on the drop actually broke

#3553 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

definitely has a spring, possible target is rubbing on something that is creating too much resistance?

Thx all for the answers. In hindsight, and a full desktop monitor.. I can find the spring in the assembly manual It wasn't obvious from the images when viewing on my phone (bring back real manuals!!) and couldn't find the parts table easily on the small screen.

#3581 4 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

Kinda hard to put my finger on what I’m trying to point out, I just haven’t left a game of OF with my heart pounding like other games I’ve played. Again, not a bad thing, just different. Which I’m sure that’s the point.

The game has a slower pace... there is no “unleash the hounds!” Moment when balls and everything are just flowing faster than you can take it in that is common in many modern games. There is payoff in Octo... but there isn’t much in terms of “stomping on the gas” and everything goes into overdrive

3 weeks later
#3798 4 years ago
Quoted from Tuna_Delight:

Joe Balcer no longer with AP?!

No, he's just full of shit.. again

Go back and listen again, he's already changed the podcast.

Maybe someday people will catch on...

1 week later
#3853 4 years ago

I see challenges at times with the TAP rollovers. The lights seem sluggish to change with the flipper action at certain times with lots going on.. and I've even seen rollovers ignored, especially after a magna-grab. For instance, a mag-grab that almost immediately drops the ball down the middle rollover and the rollover is not 'lit' afterwards. Thoughts Ferret ?

3 weeks later
#3968 4 years ago
Quoted from DanDanDAN:

Have you contacted tech support at American Pinball yet?
I think you'll be pleasantly surprise on how fast you get helped?
Also have you contacted the distributor you purchased the game from?

The 'did you call your distributor...' line is really a cop-out in how manufacturers are working these days.

What are manufacturers like AP doing to make their distributors a valid support channel?
- Are they stocking spares? Making it viable for distributors to do so?
- Are they getting training on the support and servicing of the product?
- Are they being provided documentation and materials to support the product?
- Do they have access to materials or support infrastructure beyond what the normal customer has?
- Do they have means to source RMAs or work existing tickets?

Manufacturers are not doing their part to make the distributors a valid tier 0/1 support avenue. Today it boils down to a simple 'vetting' of who is a customer or not.. and they can't do anything specific to actually rectifying support problems that involve product-specific stuff. Sure maybe that line works for the rec room buyer who doesn't know how to open the backbox... but for an actual service channel, all it is today is extra wasted time.. and more people in the process bogging it down.

If you want to use a ticket system... don't just dump it on the customers to be the ones to open tickets. When an agent answers the phone, or email, and it's something that will require more than a one-time interaction... you open a ticket for that customer and their case. You don't send them away and say open a ticket... and start over again.

Self-service ticket creation is not an excuse to not open tickets for customers... it's an EXTRA path for those who don't want to start with a live interaction.

knockerlover's examples should show you that the processes as they stand now are sub-par and not effective for his business. Instead of saying "ok, but we have XYZ...' reflect and understand how your XYZ isn't meeting the need of your customer.

3 weeks later
#4088 4 years ago
Quoted from Russell:

LTG, maybe you can explain... Why is it so difficult to do updates? It seems that different games are particular about what size or type of USB is used, whether or not it was freshly reformatted, etc. I know nothing about programming, but it seems that this is a particularly persnickety process. Is it not possible to program it in such a way that it is more forgiving?

You have an OS that needs to see the hardware
You have an OS that needs to successfully mount the filesystem
You have an application that is coded to look for files in a certain place

Where things commonly go wrong...
- Hardware compatibility of the USB stick... not such a big deal anymore, but not unheard of.
- Hardware compatibility of the USB stick with the linux drivers in use - happens because this isn't as uniform as it is on major consumer platforms like windows, etc
- Compatibility of the USB sticks formatting with the linux setup - probably most common.. since there are many variations people can use. From the partition table formats, to filesystem types, etc. This is the most common issue simply because there are the most variations
- Files not in the right place as the app expects them - probably second most common
- Files being bad - corruption due to bad download, bad copy, bad unmounting of volume, etc

Now.. add in the scenarios where you need to do a BOOTABLE USB stick.. and you get another set of fun. Because again, most of the configuration needed on the stick is not stuff commonly done by end users and isn't made front-and-center in their OS of choice. They have to use utilities, command line, etc.

The biggest issue is it's a fixed linux installation - which is not what most end-users are accustomed to and the utilities most end-users use are built to be so 'automagic' that they rarely expose the right controls.

I've found once I setup a USB stick with simple 4gig partition and fat32... I've not had any problems at all.. even with the $3 walmart USB stick I use.

#4103 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Re coding: This is exactly why I think the whole 'locking down the code' thing is anti productive to the companies. There are people out there who are probably better coders who would do aftermarket tweaks and finish unfinished code for free and better (no offense). While yes, there are some possible downsides to it, as there is with everything - in the end if the code can be updated/changed in a way it could increase the longevity of said game and it would be up to whoever owns the game to decide what version they want. I've never understood the whole proprietary code and hiding of code on these things. Especially as fast as they try to put them out unfinished and the consumer having to hope it is finished and that updates will actually come out. This is almost 2020 and the internet. Anything is possible. Embrace the fact there are hobbyists out there who can enhance what has already been created.

Who do people call when the game doesn't work? It doesn't matter what the arrangement is.. they call the manufactuer.
Who does the licenser hold accountable when the terms of the agreement aren't enforced? The manufacturer...
What do you do when the game with your logo and name on it starts to be used in a way you don't support?
How much more work do you need to invest in the product to make the code base workable by others?
How much of your investment do you want to freely share with others that could take that work and apply it to other projects?

There are lots of reasons real commercial activities don't open up their code. And software licenses may give people a legal footing to protect their work from re-use, but its really hard to put the genie back in the bottle once the code is out there. And generally whenever you work with licensing or third parties, they want THEIR works protected too..

How many real contributors do you think would be out there for these proprietary software platforms? half dozen? If the companies needed help that bad, they could easily contract someone in, and get all the benefits with far less risks/negatives.

#4117 4 years ago
Quoted from Zablon:

Um...did you miss the part about loading whatever code? This is easy, you only support the official code... It's not rocket science.

The problem in the real world is... customers and consumers don't respect that boundary. Even when its not your fault.. its still your fault. Especially risky when you are a young company. The damage to your reputation is too risky.

Quoted from Zablon:

But yes, I do understand the protecting of code, I've just never agreed with how it is applied

We all are free to our opinions - but we don't get to make up our own realities. So while you may not agree with those constraints, they don't go away.

#4118 4 years ago
Quoted from T3quila:

I waxed the playfield, and I bet there is a coat of wax on there preventing it from closing the circuit. That is a really cool design, so no pressure plates can go bad or anything! Sorry, my bad for this. What would you recommend for "de-waxing" that plate making sure that I don't hurt anything else?

Just wipe the plate with alcohol... that will clean off any wax residue. Test the door by hand by rolling a ball to it.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider flynnibus.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin?tu=flynnibus and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.