(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #928 Oktoberfest initial release pics and rule card pic Posted by PinballSTAR (5 years ago)

Post #1686 Updated (final?) Oktoberfest cabinet art Posted by HOOKED (5 years ago)

Post #1954 Link to 3/1/19 streaming video Posted by chuckwurt (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider f3honda4me.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#1932 5 years ago

The rock music kills it for me. There is an endless supply of music that would fit an Oktoberfest theme, and while some of it is there, the use of music outside of the theme kinda kills the theme. I love Oktoberfest and German heritage being German myself and in one of the most German states in the US. I joined a Pomeranian dance group and a Bavarian dance group at points in my life. I want to love this pin but the out of place music is a deal breaker.

Anyone know if we can mod the music in these pins ala cleland?

#1943 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

So talking about the music: there IS method to the madness. We have three major categories of things to do in Oktoberfest Pinball On Tap: beer/drinking events, rides, and midway games. Each of these categories comes with its own style of music... the music for the midway games has a carnival/festival vibe, the music for the rides leans more towards rock, and the beer features use polka/oompah style music. This is all part of our overall intention to let the player explore EVERYTHING that Oktoberfest has to offer... contrary to what some might think, the festival called Oktoberfest is not just oompah music and drinking beer until you pass out, there's much more to it than that.
And from a practical standpoint: for every player who might want nothing but traditional Bavarian music in this game, there's another person who would run away screaming at that thought. We've tried to settle on a good balance that represents the festival well and not overdo any particular style. While I don't believe American Pinball plans to offer customizable soundtracks, if game owners really want to hack their game to modify the tunes, I suspect someone will figure out how to make that happen.
And finally, we are still refining the audio/visual elements of the game, including music, callouts, animations, etc. While no one should be expecting that any of these elements will be completely thrown out and started over from scratch, y'all are welcome to post constructive feedback here, the team is listening. (Hopefully those of you playing Oktoberfest this weekend at Louisville, or at other upcoming shows, notice a number of things that changed in the game based on feedback from Chicago Expo, streams of the game, etc.)
Thanks!

The vast majority of music played at Oktoberfest in Germany is traditional music. Non traditional music happens but is fewer and far between. In Americanized Oktoberfest celebrations here stateside, it’s even more rare, if at all. It is a poor choice to the theme chosen for pinball to have at least 1/3 of the music not match the theme. But I’ll stop beating the dead horse now, I know others may like it as it is today and that’s ok too.

#2105 5 years ago

I hope the pin is at MGC so I can play it.

#2123 5 years ago
Quoted from Aniraf:

I preordered with Joe @ PinballSTAR the moment he announced it.
The arguing about this game is so f’ing epic that I has become my favorite thing on Pinside next to the HEP posts. I cannot wait for the OKF owners club post to get shut down. I mean, at this point I’m hinting an R Kelly theme would have been a safer choice.

I haven’t seen an OKF club thread?

#2144 5 years ago
Quoted from Rdoyle1978:

I'm not new to pinside, but I don't think I have EVER Seen this level of scrutiny about a game before. (Otto's wrist?! But I'm sure I must have just missed it). AP is *building and shipping* these games! Can't wait to play it. And Ferret and Josh and Joe and David Thiel and uh.. Nirmal's friend.. this is like the A team of modern pinball right now.

This level of scrutiny happens all the time, and rightfully so. People complained about the topper artwork for JJP POTC LE, as the exact same skull and crossbones is literally 5" below the topper of the same skull and crossbones, and again on the sides of the backbox. And again at one point in the LCD display as it cycles through screens. Artwork is part of the package, so it should be scrutinized just like anything else.

#2185 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

The fact that almost every woman in the artwork had their butts to camera was too consistent to not be deliberate.
My guess is butts are more "politically correct" (or more importantly wife-friendly) than boobs.

My wife doesn't care if there are boobs on the pinball machines. I hope this wasn't some effort to be "politically correct". In an ironic twist, it would be the opposite.

3 weeks later
#2405 4 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I want AP to succeed, but denying there's a problem with the art and animations you're putting out isn't going to help get you there, especially when Stern is proficient to good, Spooky is catching on, and JJP is blowing production values out of the water. Last-place visuals are a hard sell on location, and that's what Oktoberfest has now.

This x100. If AP believes there is not room for vast improvement in art and animations, it's going to hinder your growth and future possibilities. From what I've seen, the game play is fun, and layout is fun in Oktoberfest. But the art and animations are a huge turn off. The music in Oktoberfest I also have issue with, but that was an artistic choice made by AP so while it keeps me away from buying one, that doesn't mean others won't like the choices. But the art and animations are a quality issue not artistic style or choice issue. (If they are an artistic choice issue, that's even worse)

#2407 4 years ago
Quoted from Bublehead:

Yes, it is an interesting resume...
I guess one or two out of six or seven ain't a bad ratio... <ducks>

Yea kinda my thought exactly when looking at that...

#2456 4 years ago
Quoted from Paul_from_Gilroy:

Disagree. I owned a JJP game with a 26 inch display and beautiful looking animations and video... that the player usually doesn’t see because they are looking at the ball. The content on that huge screen was very busy. Quadrants of info, serif fonts, everything in motion, spread across a 26 inch screen. Basically, in my opinion, the eye candy on their screen failed because it was too busy and not well coordinated with stop and go on the playfield. Very frustrating.

Totally disagree. The display screens have great animations at times that coincide with ball stop/pauses, and the screens while playing have information I need that I can see quickly at a glance or when cradling the ball.

#2461 4 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Suggestions:
1) CONTRAST! Different colors don't mean shit. If your display wouldn't be readable in B&W then it sucks. A slim black stroke around a font the same brightness as background doesn't cut it (most manufacturers do this even Stern) Yellow duck icons against yellow beer = dumb.
2) THIS ISN'T AN EYE EXAM! Why do manufacturers fill the LCD with tiny fonts? (Again, everybody is guilty of this) Keep the text big and bold. LCD is roughly twice the height of DMD, so have twice the info at most... instead of an IRS form.
3) IS THIS A ZOMBIE GAME?. No? Then why are the women so ugly on LCD? Is this an attempt to make it "wife safe"? All you need to do for that is keep the boobs C and under. The photo-real women on PF aren't ugly - why are they on the LCD? (I know why - because clipart - but that's a reason not an excuse)
4) SKEUOMORPHISM IS SO 2007. Houdini and OKT are both ripe with this. It's the art style where UI elements look like real-world things - think iPhone's calendar or notebook circa 2007. CIRCA 2007. It's a completely dead style now outside of music software.
5) TODD TUCKEY'S WRIST IS STILL BROKEN. Does anyone in the pinball art world know how arms work?[quoted image]

My wife has zero problem with attractive or large breasted women in games or pinball. Though maybe that's because she is one herself.

#2531 4 years ago
Quoted from Viggin900:

Being a CGI artist myself for a global company I don't think the animations can be improved without scrapping them. I wouldn't have used CGI at all for this application and instead run video clips of the crowd around tents with some After Effects to add signage. I'm sure there are great videos out there. Also we do the weiner dog race here at Zinzinnati which would work as well. Much cheaper,quicker than building and animating all the stuff going on? No one can complain either. I played this game atleast 20 times and can't believe "Ein Prosit" is not sung or mentioned for call outs or a wizard mode? Bands are required to play this every hour at any Oktoberfest. Sicky socky hoy hoy hoy! The game play and deep rule set are probably one of the best, may surpass Simpsons Pinball Party?
[quoted image][quoted image]

Wait the game doesn’t have Ein Prosit??? It is literally THE Oktoberfest song. Like if you spend 30 minutes at Oktoberfest you’ll hear it at least twice.

#2535 4 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

- Ein Prosit absolutely is in the game. A short clip of it is played at the end of Every. Single. Game. It's also played at length during Chugging, HSTD initial entry, and may be used in a mini-wizard mode

Sweeeeeet. That is awesome

#2591 4 years ago
Quoted from PhantomO:

I suspect wonka will have a chocolate river running across the playfield and will cost over $10k. JJPs are too high end for me to afford.

We already know the Standard will be around $7500-$8k and LE is $9500

#2596 4 years ago

There are 3 at MGC if anyone is there and looking to play it.

#2619 4 years ago
Quoted from RipleYYY:

my son will agree... not sure about my wife !?

My wife says those are perfect. I agree.

#2674 4 years ago
Quoted from Roostking:

Oh, so a game , a great game, that is how many years old. Funny, no other JJP game is that cheap. Great answer, but lets talk modern pricing. Soo, which game again?

#2692 4 years ago
Quoted from acaciolo:

Absolutely agree 100%. I woudln't be buying it if it was just beer. That is kinda boring. And for the boobs...well, I already have an alternative backglass in the works like I did for bm66 https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/nsfw-bm66-batman-alternate-translite-censored

Awesome

#2695 4 years ago
Quoted from pinballjj:

I will look at the backglass at home but will assume "nsfw"

The pinside link is censored version.

#2720 4 years ago

Any idea why the 2 of the 3 games had a crash at MGC? Is it just a code/software update that is needed?

#2722 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

I was in the booth all night Friday and a good chunk of the day on Saturday, and never saw a crash. I heard about one after I left, but have no other info on it.
We had all the games go down at one point, when someone from another company, 'accidentally', hit a breaker and powered them all down.

I modified my post, I re-read it and it came off sounding like the games were just crashing left and right and that is NOT what happened.

I was in line at one point and 2 of the 3 games rebooted themselves at different times, about 1 minute apart.

#2724 4 years ago
Quoted from Platypus:

I spent quite a lot of time on Oktoberfest and Houdini through out the weekend at MGC and didn't see any crashes

That's great but doesn't really answer my question. :p

#2726 4 years ago
Quoted from rosh:

Unfortunately I have no info on it, and no logs to review. Only issue I am aware of on that release that would cause a crash, is a bug when entering high scores, if you use the extra flipper button to move down a row, while on the letter W, it will crash. Hopefully if it occurs again we can get the log to see what happened.

Ah you know, now that you mention it, my wife reminded me that she thinks both crashes happened while people were entering names in. So that is sounding like a highly possible cause!

#2728 4 years ago

It's a tougher shot but I made it once or twice.

Promoted items from the Pinside Marketplace
$ 649.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.
Flipper parts
$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation
Decorations
$ 49.99
$ 399.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
Machine - For Sale
Wallingford, CT
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods
Led
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms
Pinball Machine
$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing
Other

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider f3honda4me.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin?tu=f3honda4me and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.