(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #928 Oktoberfest initial release pics and rule card pic Posted by PinballSTAR (5 years ago)

Post #1686 Updated (final?) Oktoberfest cabinet art Posted by HOOKED (5 years ago)

Post #1954 Link to 3/1/19 streaming video Posted by chuckwurt (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#921 5 years ago
Quoted from Ericpinballfan:

Why are all the women facing away from me? Slingshot plastics too! I get the attitude in today's society and I do respect women. I also respect there beauty and like to see them head on, and look at there eyes. A lot of ass in that backglass.

you're not an ass man?

#922 5 years ago

AP and the team should be proud. Looks like they did a great job and learned a lot from Houdini. Well done with this title so far chaps.

#1012 5 years ago

Let's get this topic back on tap; a lot of criticisms and focuses on the negatives. Check out SDTM's quick glimpse with Josh Kuglar. The game overall just looks 'fun' and for a good time. Yes, there's some inconsistencies, but let's applaud what AP has done here so far (remember its early); but they packed this game with pinball and fun, all with a theme not many could think had a place in pinball.

#1300 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

-There are a lot of buying options out there and when it comes to Hobbit, most people don’t care about the movies, so that takes it off their “must spend lots of money on this” list. Theme is important.
-Pinside taste makers seem to now like math-depth & and not story/adventure depth.
-Pinside taste makers now hate widebodies, even tho TZ & STTNG were on every collector’s list for decades.
Hobbit pre-orders were $7500. So, where it’s priced in the aftermarket right now is respectable considering all these factors. I’m happy with my Smaug for the price I paid for it. Would I pay the current NIB JJP price for it? No way....but I wouldn’t buy any of their games for that price lol.

You do realize Hobbit holds the royal crown for Math-Depth right? do mode A and xyz modes will be multiplied, etc... And how many modes and multiplier algorithms are there in hobbit? ...nuff said. And I'm Not saying it's a bad thing, as I love that kind of detail to code. I'm just saying, Hobbit is the champ in the Math-Depth department, IMO; though, Pirates is taking a stab at surpassing it.

EDIT: And the first thing I'd do if I ever owned a hobbit is remove the center post, add lightning flippers, open the outlanes, and have at it. That's what's so great about the code, sure there's enough depth to cover a 45+ minute game, but progressing through most the meat of the content and wizard modes can be achieved with a hard setup game like that which makes subsequent games different from the previous.

#1384 5 years ago

After seeing the Beatles Pin posted by SDTM; can we now relax on Oktoberfest’s art package and consider it a homerun?

1 month later
#1631 5 years ago

New pins, hard work, long hours, community effort...unsung heroes. Kudos! Looking forward to checking out the VOD replay, but can’t wait to see what comes next (code wise) with OKTOBERFEST.

1 month later
#1730 5 years ago

Not to be too picky. But, pinside shows Oktoberfest as a 2018 game; shouldn’t it be a 2019 game? <Granted it does hit production this year>

1 month later
#1895 5 years ago

Thanks for sharing Zach! How have the animations come along/improved?

#1904 5 years ago

rosh can you stack steins? Like maybe per ball, so you can get 2-4 steins built up but lose them at end of ball?

#1905 5 years ago

SDTM streaming now btw for anyone interested!

#1908 5 years ago

Still not feeling some of the music. If they want the hard rock feel but want to keep it relevant to the theme, they should look at music like Dropkick Murphys or Flogging Molly.

#1926 5 years ago
Quoted from beergut666:

Some of the music does seem like an odd direction for this game, but Irish-American bro punk music doesn't exactly scream Oktoberfest to me either.

Haha good point. It’s still early (I hope), so who knows where they go with the music. Some of it good, some of it needs work IMO which is hopefully the missing pieces of code still to come.

#1981 5 years ago
Quoted from chuckwurt:

I will say that I hit the side ramp a couple times where I thought it should’ve went but stopped short. Might be a flipper power issue not sure. But that can obviously be adjusted. Or I just flat out missed it. Not sure.

Correct me if I’m wrong, but it looked like super bands were on the flippers? If so, I bet a traditional black flipper rubber would greatly increase accuracy. From my personal experience, super bands suck donkey balls on upper flipper shots like STLE or X-MEN.

#2062 5 years ago

In my opinion, display is very important. It ties the entire game together, very much like an insert matrix on the playfield. So the animations themselves really don’t need to be good or ground breaking, but where the focus needs to lie in the display is conveying information to the player - mainly scoring display, followed by rules progression. This is where fonts and information display becomes the key factor, not HD art.

A Good example of this would be IMDN and how features on the insert matrix are tied into the main display dashboard, and scoring features are very legible and easy to follow along.

Poor example would be Aerosmith. They did a good job of showing scores and progression but the fonts and colors used are so washed out it’s hard to follow along with.

Hopefully, API figures out a happy medium for OKF, this game looks very promising and quite fun too. Can’t wait to flip it.

1 month later
#2712 5 years ago
Quoted from Ferret:

I’ve thought about this, and can certainly add an adjustment for this if there’s demand. Meanwhile, in non-tournament mode both stein select and tent select tend to default to semi-random things you haven’t chosen already in the game, so... just close your eyes and double-flip to basically get the effect you describe.

Please do! Maybe a dual option adjustment to turn one on and the other off? I don’t mind having to pick steins, that makes sense. But modes/tents really slow the game down, it seems like they would fit better as a traditional pinball related mode in that some other feature on the game drives what mode is lit (i.e. pops, slings, Ramps, or even flipper buttons like DI/LOTR).

And honestly, It should be like that by default. One of the biggest issues new players have with Pinball is making decisions. Let them figure out later that flipper buttons or switch hits can change their mode.

I’d also advise with not having tents be played til completion; One and done so to speak. Some of the best games dangle carrots for the player to get via modes; LOTR with gifts, IMDN with soul shards and tomb awards, TWD with multi kills and horde. Have players play for perks - playing modes over and over til their complete is a false sense of achievement.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

6,100 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider eskaybee.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin?tu=eskaybee and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.