(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #928 Oktoberfest initial release pics and rule card pic Posted by PinballSTAR (5 years ago)

Post #1686 Updated (final?) Oktoberfest cabinet art Posted by HOOKED (5 years ago)

Post #1954 Link to 3/1/19 streaming video Posted by chuckwurt (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ealadubhsidhe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#948 5 years ago

Damn, I was afraid of that - the player-controlled magnets idea is exactly what I wanted to do on Circe's Animal Alehouse first.

Game looks super fun though. Really colourful and inviting.

#1025 5 years ago

This reveal thread is making me wonder if I should put up one of my own on how Circe's Animal Alehouse would have looked for layout comparison purposes, since it's one I've tinkered with on and off for a few years, but suddenly a number of the same ideas have completely coincidentally turned up here - 'exotic beer and fun' theme, player controlled magnets, models on the pops, left drop ramp with a shot underneath (though not an orbit), cross-field ball entry and third flipper in a similar place (although this last one has been fairly common). On the other hand, mine would be a widebody (but aiming for the 'shoots like a standard' feel that Full Throttle had), uses drop targets more (tied to rules strategy in particular), and is a game that I do still ultimately want to make.

#1049 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

I'm sure everyone would like to see. But I don't think it's really in your interests for everyone to see, unless you're still working on something physical to show potential interested parties.

Yeah, that's what I'm kind of torn about. I just don't want folks to think I pinched ideas from this game, and it's refined enough already that to change anything significant would require a start from scratch - and buggered if I'm going to do THAT yet again.

#1148 5 years ago
Quoted from nicknack66:

Agreed. Not sure if I have become impatient with age, but while I used to get excited watching the ball go in the ferris wheel in Comet or Cyclone (I don't remember which had it), I no longer feel that way and the thought of regularly having balls go through that long wireform would drive me crazy.

That would be Hurricane's double-ferris and slooooooooow loop return back to the flipper - a game I can't play now without singing along to that shot: "I am waiting for my ball back, I am waiting for my ball back, I am waiting for my ball back, I am waiting for my f*****g ball back."

#1149 5 years ago
Quoted from Aurich:

Same artist, but playfield art is hard. It's really an art, in and of itself, to do it right. I found working on the Alien playfield — remotely, with no access to the game — very challenging. People have leveled plenty of criticism at what I came up with, and I'll defend part of it by saying I did the best I could with what I had access to, but I will also freely admit that I share a lot of the criticism, and I really think it's something I'd approach differently now that I have some experience.
I think Ben doesn't get enough credit for AMH frankly. It's cheesy and corny, but it was always meant to be, that was the theme and the humor. He did so much on his own, it wasn't a one man show, but damn near close in many ways. And then Spooky actually built it, and laid the groundwork for the successful homebrew to small company model. Many haven't made it that far.

People don't seem to think of pinball art or animations in terms of a design exercise, when really that's exactly what it is. You're having to work to templates and layouts of specific sizes and shapes, and in the case of animation, timing. I think the golden rule of pinball art, regardless of how much you spend on it, is always going to be: have a clear idea of what it is you want to see and achieve, especially if you have license limitations, before you commit a single line to canvas. If you end up having to improvise on the fly for any reason at all, it is ALWAYS going to show.

#1150 5 years ago
Quoted from toyotaboy:

I don't think Ben claims this to be great. Also he did all that artwork for free long before it became a production game.

It also illustrates perfectly what I said just now about pinball art being a design and layout exercise. Every element needs to look like it belongs where it does and complement each other without distracting the player's eye, and that's what AMH does.

You know who doesn't get nearly enough credit for this? Data East. Lots of criticisms get levelled at how their figures are drawn and the sketchy kind of style their DMD games employ on the playfield, but as far as layout and composition goes, it's A-grade work.

#1230 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

How about "Get The Heck Out" for a slogan? Should I order hats?
My issue is jealousy. I'm jealous that AP gets away with Photoshop collage art when everyone else has to do much better and at greater expense. (something myself and Aurich have lived through)
It's also disconcerting to realize Pinheads consider detail (for the sake of detail) to be more important than visual clarity.

And me, since I had a large hand in the composition and visual design of Full Throttle, at absolutely zero expense. (Actually, several of us did - I'm sure you can tell.)

#1231 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

Could be a new show idea. Live studio audience, contestant is introduced and explains his electronic design problem, audience chants "Get the Heck out!", out comes Ben Heck to solve the problem.

'Win Ben Heck's Misery'.

#1238 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

That said, I'd probably enjoy playing Oktoberfest more, simply because I think the cannon is one of the worst designed mechs ever in pinball ... I hate it with a passion (and I own an AC/DC).

More than the pointless lower playfield?

#1247 5 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Only part I don’t really like is the roller coaster part.[quoted image]

I could have sworn that was Python's art from Cyclone; I had to look it up to check. The only things that appeared to be absent were Ronnie and Nancy.

Also, wouldn't those restraints break their necks? How did the passengers manage to get them over their heads?

#1250 5 years ago
Quoted from Rascal_H:

Not yet. It’s coming!

Comet, but yeah. Point is that there’s always been some pretty bad (and maybe a little racist) artwork in pinball.
Part of the fun of owning an Okfoberfest might be point out all the weirdness to friends who come over to play.

Ah - so it is. Didn't recognise it straight off, iPDB doesn't have any decent shots of the Comet backglass.

#1259 5 years ago
Quoted from kermit24:

Thunderbirds makes all other pinball machines play and look amazing. It’s a complete pile of trash.

I quite liked it. *shrug*

#1316 5 years ago
Quoted from PinMonk:

I thought Mafia was $7,500? I wish either or both Thunderbirds or Mafia had been at PAGG. Would have definitely tried a game or two to get an opinion on them.
What's the deal with Thunderbirds? Can software save it, or is the playfield design just too bad?

I liked Thunderbirds partly *because* it's so different. It plays like nothing else on earth; it does have flow which you can employ by flipping, but it's very very unconventional. None of the shots lead anywhere that way, and it is a fair comment that if you're at all a risk-averse traditionalist, you won't like the game one bit.

#1318 5 years ago

Not really: the stuff on Thunderbirds is *supposed* to do that.

#1342 5 years ago
Quoted from flynnibus:

The stories are old... but the Universal Monsters are their IP and they do control the rights to THOSE VERSIONS OF THE CHARACTERS.
So not 'all draculas' but 'their dracula'

Ooh, there's a good game idea for the current climate - traditional monsters, but trying to be heroes and really having to struggle to shake off their bad image. NOT ALL DRACULAS.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

Playfield - Other
RavSpec

$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 15.00
Cabinet - Sound/Speakers
Gweem's Mods

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 299.95
Lighting - Led
Pin Stadium Pinball Mods

Hey modders!
Your shop name here

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ealadubhsidhe.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin?tu=ealadubhsidhe and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.