(Topic ID: 224963)

Joe Balcer confirms Oktoberfest as American Pinball's next pin.

By PismoArcade

5 years ago

Topic Heartbeat

Topic Stats

• 4,992 posts
  • 466 Pinsiders participating
  • Latest reply 1 year ago by Ferret
  • Topic is favorited by 79 Pinsiders

You

Linked Games

Topic Gallery

View topic image gallery

8880f5e6998fb0663ff4a9a77f40c92eb6c125f2 (resized).png
okt (resized).jpg
59547925-ED73-4D13-9C0B-C0B4DB7F1F2C (resized).jpeg
20210418_173000 (resized).jpg
IMG_8199 (resized).jpg
20211127_232248 (resized).jpg
BLKFRIDAY2021 (1) (resized).png
16341706819071145026220657450351 (resized).jpg
AAAABWnlUYQGnwPYrDFi3t2ZJg8xDmhdqB2hGmDLTPnpLg4SjPq15X8P8IAl66bSXZXeQjCVgv9i_WrsIbMEvcUa9pH863X- (resized).jpg
20211006_190939 (resized).jpg
47cc5c7a51600f42dccc5022b9550eca8025c861 (resized).jpg
IMG_7361 (resized).jpg
IMG_7362 (resized).jpg
Okt upgraded coil stop - blue = new (resized).png
pasted_image (resized).png
20210620_160449 (resized).jpg

Topic index (key posts)

3 key posts have been marked in this topic

Display key post list sorted by: Post date | Keypost summary | User name

Post #928 Oktoberfest initial release pics and rule card pic Posted by PinballSTAR (5 years ago)

Post #1686 Updated (final?) Oktoberfest cabinet art Posted by HOOKED (5 years ago)

Post #1954 Link to 3/1/19 streaming video Posted by chuckwurt (5 years ago)

Topic indices are generated from key posts and maintained by Pinside Editors. For more information, or to become an editor yourself read this post!

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ds_nadine.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

#144 5 years ago
Quoted from Pyromedic:

Done right, could be awesome.
Oktoberfest is the worlds largest party, and remember Pinball is HUGE in Europe too.
Das Boot! Multi-ball, Bring it!!![quoted image]

It is at least more than just drinking beer.
When you're done you leave into that giant carnival in fornt of your beer tent, get on a rollercoaster or so, to make room for new beer!

Rinse and repeat!

munchen-kotzt-ein-prosit-auf-die-gemutlichkei-L-bDZRYy (resized).jpegmunchen-kotzt-ein-prosit-auf-die-gemutlichkei-L-bDZRYy (resized).jpeg
#148 5 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

I love it! Tired of only licensed themes. Bout time we get some new Original themes. Houdini is a beautiful machine with cool features. If they can deal with the geometry issues that people have with Houdini, this could be a really cool pin. Can't wait to play one. This could be my first NIB!

I just hope they choose another artstyle then they did with Houdini.

#159 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

Boobs and booze.
That's not getting past a lot of wives. Good luck getting this in your basement married dudes.

No problem.

May be a cultural difference as well but I'm not allowed to buy Iron Maiden because of the Eddies, some with any Monster-Theme or shown violence.

Wasn't allowed to buy a House of the Dead Arcade Cab as well.

Same wife plays Rumble Roses XX with me.

rumble-roses-xx-20060125064357853-000 (resized).jpgrumble-roses-xx-20060125064357853-000 (resized).jpg
#190 5 years ago
Quoted from Hop-Pac:

I think the art is fantastic! A steampunk style wouldn't work with Oktoberfest. But put these girls in Dirndls and give them liters of beer...
[quoted image]

I like the girls but the outline/ contour on this slings (and every insert for example) reminds me of early photoshop days (fill with pattern then Layereffects - inward shadow). Just one plain color would be so much better. And whats with that black asphalt pattern in the background?

Granted you don't notice such things when playing and the game altogether looks great. I want one.
But compared to what the competition does recently the art falls a bit flat for me.

#194 5 years ago
Quoted from EricHadley:

For example, I’d rather play Dialed in all day long vs Star Wars..........

I'd bet most people that actually played both agree (I do!), but I'm pretty sure Star Wars sells better notheless.

#257 5 years ago
Quoted from Pinphila:

Go back and read that thread. The OP neglected to say he was the second owner. He was not the original buyer. They also provided him a ton of tech support. I think it’s unfair to label them as not supporting their customers. As a comparison, did JJP give out light boards to all second owners of woz that had issues?

Yes, and that's a completely different story 'cause that lightboard was a design error.

#259 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Though that came about, from what I've seen posted, because the guy they initially had do the design work lied about his qualifications.
Obviously they should have been more diligent, but they did their best to rectify a shitty situation.
Probably should have gone straight to something like the 2.0 design, rather than trying to fix his mess, but easy to be wise in hindsight.

Yes but what I wanted to say when putting this in comparison to AP, that JJP sold you a faulty product (intentionally or not) that will definatly brake sooner or later.
Thats kinda attackable even if the Warranty time is overdue.
Plus they could close down doors, for the damaged image that would cause. So JJP did it like they 'kinda' had to (like Microsoft with the RROD on the 360).

That said: I think the warranty times are ridiculous! In the US in general (from what I see) and especially for this product wich should be able to take a good beating when set up in a non-private environment.

#268 5 years ago
Quoted from greenhornet:

its difficult for me to consider 'oktoberfest' an 'original' theme.
look at what josh said about houdini - they treated it as a licensed theme. all the aspects of houdinis life were already predetermined. they had the mans likeness. his profession as a magician/escape artist. the time period was set. the magic acts/escapes he was renowned for. the films he made. his connection with mediums and the spiritual world. no additional subject matter was required or needed to complete this theme. it was all handed to them on a silver platter. just come up with the art, call outs, some music, and animations.
with oktoberfest, it too comes in a highly regulated package, which leaves very little need for originality/creativity. the polka style of music, the representative country, the beer/food, the maidens, the outfits, the contests/events - all the facets are already there. no work is necessary to create anything new/additional when it comes to this theme. gotta love the development time savings. so again, art, callouts, and animations. QED.
APs first two titles pan out more like licensed themes and can hardly be compared to creating packages like centuar, fathom, or paragon, where the concept is all original thought created from scratch. if those games had voice/speech and an LCD like todays games, developers imaginations could run wild.

Theme != License

But of course a theme is predefined, thats what a theme is.

That gives them freedom nontheless. If you do a WWII movie its still possible to make a comedy.

#312 5 years ago
Quoted from mcbPalisade:

Could be, never got that far or noticed ) - : I hear they are hard to fix when the cheap servo breaks.
Several catapults around, maybe we should have a metric something like: inchesThrown * percentSuccessful with separated graph lines for different AC line voltages

Wow!!!

You never seen the mech in action for yourself or look up what it does, so completely ignoring it while complaining about the lack of unique mechs, but at the same time manage to know it's hard to repair and breaks easily?

I think this is a pinside Hattrick!!!

#335 5 years ago
Quoted from o-din:

Titties and beer and family friendly. Can't wait to see how this one plays out.

If you say it like this, this is a must buy!

#349 5 years ago
Quoted from Tucks:

and old mothers don't..............
You wouldn't want to take a kid to Oktoberfest, it's carnage.

With kids you usually go during the day.
Evening is when everyone gets wasted.

#373 5 years ago
Quoted from Only_Pinball:

Instead of a family and adult setting AP should do a day and night setting! Really looking forward to seeing the game.

Midnight Madness Throwup Multiball. Every target is a Person wich pukes when you hit it ans the surrounding inserts turn green.
When the whole playfield is green you get jackpot and you have to clean it again before the morning rises/ multiball is over for super jackpot.

#386 5 years ago

Better idea! Do that throwup thing into a wizard mode (much like Powerdown in Johnny Mnemonic):

When the game (oktoberfest) ist finished, everyone is puking meaning all inserts start to turn green. Shoot Ramps (or whatever) for Jackopts and to clean those inserts. Wizard Mode ends when everything is green, Oktoberfest is closed and the Ball drains.

If the Whiteboard shots are for different attractions (Beer Tent, Ferris Wheel etc.) you can differneciate and shutdown different areas when they're all green, so they'll givee no more Jackpots.

I mean no trolling, I honestly think this is a great idea!
(And most children will never see this mode.)

#399 5 years ago

Just back from Septemberfest.

#420 5 years ago

It's never too early to collect stuff for mods!!!

Dm9Lo0OX4AE4OJq (resized).jpgDm9Lo0OX4AE4OJq (resized).jpg
#464 5 years ago
Quoted from ultimategameroom:

To a German our comments must seem bizarre. Das boot is a part of the competitive drinking events in the movie Beerfest. It combines German and English language:
1)Das German for the boot
2)Boot English for boot/large shoe.
It’s basically the biggest most Badass beer drinking vessel I’m aware of.
A local pub has a few they breakout for Oktoberfest celebrations when they tap German marzen/fest beers. The rule there is if you don’t order food you can’t get one cause you’re gonna catch a wicked Buzz.
I believe most hold (2) liters or almost a 6 pack!!!
It makes a liter mug look like something a Girly man would drink out of.
[quoted image]

To a german "Das Boot" is an old Book/ Series/ Movie about a german submarine ans its crew in WW2. Very iconic Soundtrack. Spawned one of The First popular techno songs. (U96)

Honestly I didn't know why everyone referred to a Submarine.

2 weeks later
#534 5 years ago
Quoted from rubberducks:

Balcer tends to do very different layouts. I doubt it will resemble Houdini much.

Depends on who you ask. All pinball are exactly the same according to my wife.

1 week later
#588 5 years ago

It was a good move Balcer revealled the title officially allready.

Thinking back to Dialed In, everyone was down with the theme at the reveal, wich took a lot of the reveal/ presentation itself.

Now with Oktoberfest, that 'bummer' is gone and we're now in happy anticipation mode again and can appreciate the game itself better.

#598 5 years ago
Quoted from colonel_caverne:

Well, we only see a little....
Finally maybe API is way stronger than Aurich said about making hype!

23d056ed73b3972eaabfa13f1860bb620872838c48e0c1b819fe4feceef14624 (resized).jpg23d056ed73b3972eaabfa13f1860bb620872838c48e0c1b819fe4feceef14624 (resized).jpg

Edit: Loool! The Forum showed me ZMeny talking to ZMeny, not your Name, sorry!!! XD

#599 5 years ago

(double post)

#658 5 years ago
Quoted from djreddog:

Oktoberfest backglass. [quoted image]

Looks a bit like Todd Tuckey with a beard.

...Oh guess everyone thinks so, I was behind reading. XD

#661 5 years ago
Quoted from toddtuckey:

And I have given permission to reference my picture with that character! This pinball has got to be good!! Its a great idea for a theme--and I think very popular in taverns and bars around the world! AND of course home game rooms too!

Now I'm hoping for you Callouts.

"NOW GET OUT!!!" - When the Game is over.

#754 5 years ago

This looks like crazy shit!

When (how much hours because I can't get my head around those time zones) is the reveal?

#762 5 years ago

Ok, the greenish middle (lawn/ die Wiesn) looks pretty uninspired artwise,...

But that's really the only negative thing I can find.

#764 5 years ago
Quoted from solarvalue:

I think an hour and a half until reveal.

thx

#1117 5 years ago
Quoted from CrazyLevi:

Are we saying AP won Expo?!

Were there any other contestants?

#1123 5 years ago
Quoted from DCFAN:

Not really, Stern has learned not to try and compete. The buyers really have not done anything to force them to compete and neither have the competition for that matter. As I said earlier, it will be interesting to see where American Pinball prices this game because if enough games come in full featured and priced lower than Stern then you could see some pressure for pricing adjustments. How many upper priced games can this market absorb?

For me Houdini easily wins against any Stern Premium featurewise, and Oktoberfest will most likely be in that same price range.

But Stern has upped their game and they do compete; nearly every one of their last machines looks stunning and Oktoberfest has a problem to even look cohesive.
The decision "what to buy" would be easier if Stern games would still look like Game of Thrones and stuff...

I don't know why the Display animations do look like this again. If you don't have an animator, don't animate or break it down to a level you can do. (Better do simple animation good, instead of complicated animation bad.) Like, don't animate that photorealistic juggling girl in a total artificial way but instead do a 2 phase cartoon animation. It looks better and is easier to do. Or for the 3D rendered rollercoaster just do a steady image (like comet) and animate the hair of the people and the rails.
Or just go back to dots. And for the rest Championship Pubs art package/ style would be a great fit, and is way easier to do than this kinda photorealistic art!
(Where I admit I like the Cab and the Backglass. Just the collage of different styles on the playfield and the green lawn is a bit off.)

So, back to topic, I really think Stern is well aware otherwise poor Kevin Connor still had to layout random photoshop clip art.
And I think they really waited as long as they could before implementing the LCD (rightfully so), to compete with JJP.

And this is something AP has to compete with (a higher hurdle then not long ago) or bail out if possible (like Thunderbirds still using a DMD, wich I think is the better way if you have a limited budget).

I really want to play Oktoberfest but I do not (yet) want to own this.
The most time the pin is (sadly) turned off but it sits in my room where I look at it.

But I'm still positive, Houdini got a little playfield makeover as well, so...

#1172 5 years ago
Quoted from cooked71:

What does a German think of this theme and its execution in Oktoberfest? I know I sometimes cringe when other nationalities try to create an Australian theme. They always think its cool and exotic, but to an Australian it just comes off as kitsch, corny and over stereotyped. Is that the case here?

Uh,... Well Bavaria (where Oktoberfest, Lederhosen, Sauerkarut and most other things known outside of germany come from) is to the rest of Germany what *cough* Texas is for America, so...

I've never heard Polka, nearly never wore Lederhosen (did as a child) and never was inside a beer tent, so I'm not the right guy to ask.
But I'm not offended by anything and I think overall they did a good job since it's really not only about beer.
I like the music as well, noone want's to listen to polka or a marching band while playing pinball.

And yes they're are things I find strange when watching the photos here, like a Hotdog with Sauerkraut seen as german food.
But who cares. Have fun.

#1212 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

AC/DC (Prem/LE) looks a billion times better. Say what you will about the Photoshop Live photos, AC/DC is a cohesive package, the composition is well done, and when you look at it, it fits the theme of AC/DC. It’s not “art” like we’re used to now with Met & Maiden...but it isn’t offensively bad like 24, GOT, Austin Powers or Elvis. It’s competent product art. Not a mess like Oktoberfest’s varying styles and resolutions.

Well it is "cohesive". But a cohesive turd.

#1331 5 years ago
Quoted from benheck:

I believe deep down all customers really want are movie licenses (with good hand drawn art).

If you ask a customer what he wants he answers a sequel to the thing he liked before.

Pinside Top 5: Medieval Madness, Attack from Mars, Twilight Zone, Monster Bash, Iron Maiden.

I only see 2 licenses, no movie.

Like Mr. Sharpe said in his recent H2H Interview, it's kinda sad that the Pinball game is not seen powerful enough in itself that it can stand on his own instead on a license. If pinball really is this weak maybe swe should all get the heck out...

#1335 5 years ago
Quoted from Rarehero:

(MB is a license.)

Dracula and friends are pretty old, Universal doesn't hold any rights to them...
Don't know it of every character of course.

Quoted from Rarehero:

Context is important when discussing licenses.

Yes. And while what you say is correct, in context I'm right.

Promoted items from Pinside Marketplace and Pinside Shops!
$ 11.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Classic Game Rooms

Flipper Parts
Precision Pinball prod.

$ 50.00
Playfield - Protection
Duke Pinball

$ 20.00
Cabinet - Other
Filament Printing

$ 129.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

$ 140.00
Cabinet - Shooter Rods
Super Skill Shot Shop

$ 25.00
Rubber/Silicone
Maine Home Recreation

8,000 (OBO)
Machine - For Sale
Dixon, CA
$ 39.99
Gameroom - Decorations
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,795.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

Machine - For Sale
Queen Creek, AZ
$ 8,295.00
Pinball Machine
Maine Home Recreation

$ 7,899.00
Pinball Machine
Pinball Pro

$ 69.95
Playfield - Toys/Add-ons
Hookedonpinball.com

Great pinball charity
Pinball Edu

You're currently viewing posts by Pinsider ds_nadine.
Click here to go back to viewing the entire thread.

Wanna join the discussion? Please sign in to reply to this topic.

Hey there! Welcome to Pinside!

Donate to Pinside

Great to see you're enjoying Pinside! Did you know Pinside is able to run without any 3rd-party banners or ads, thanks to the support from our visitors? Please consider a donation to Pinside and get anext to your username to show for it! Or better yet, subscribe to Pinside+!

This page was printed from https://pinside.com/pinball/forum/topic/joe-balcer-confirms-oktoberfest-as-american-pinbals-next-pin?tu=ds_nadine and we tried optimising it for printing. Some page elements may have been deliberately hidden.

Scan the QR code on the left to jump to the URL this document was printed from.