I've held off on posting my impressions until playing it many times over a number of visits (@heliconbrewery) but I'm ready to share my thoughts.
+the game is built very well. It feels like a well made pinball game and you feel like you're getting your moneys worth
+it's packed with items, many cool features that really pop more in person than in pictures. I really like that keg, the pops, the ramps, etc
+although the animations are definitely not good, they aren't as bad when playing, mostly b/c you're not looking up. Sounds common sense but it's worth pointing out. Put it this way, I wouldn't pass on it JUST b/c of the animations but the animations DEF hold it back
+great unique layout that really seems to be something fresh. It's like a mix of Alien and WoZ.
+I went back and forth on this but i do like the theme considering the mix of beer and girls. Who doesn't like that? I really don't care for the carnival atmosphere though which is further weakened by the poor AV package.
+top right flipper shot is perfectly fine. Felt very good when it worked and was challenging enough but not unfair. No issues with hitting the big left ramp either - not sure what people are talking about. I was hitting it all day and I'm terrible.
+great use of magnets. Really liked how it would stop the ball for the top right flip.
- music. Wasn't feeling it. It's just so damn generic and doesn't speak to the player. This includes all music, during modes, end game, etc.
- Art - although in person the game does make a statement with how much is there, the art itself, including the showcased girl on the right side of the translite, just isn't attractive and takes away from the experience.
- the flip up ramp on the right is very tight. This shot doesn't need to be so tight either (see Alien) and I was hoping for something similar but not so much. Love that it's there though but it's just not a fun shot.
- Voices: Not good. I know apparently they have germans doing it but they come off comedic and not authentic.
Really takes away from the experience.
- Modes: I like the variety but the way the game is setup with the tents, stopping the action, it just kills the flow. Less is more here and the awful cut scene (that I know is temp but it's so bad, it shouldn't be there now) really doesn't help. This is where the art really hurts the game b/c I'm forced to watch these cut scenes and it really reminds you of the poor quality while playing the actual game reminds you of great quality. It's odd.
- Not enough use of that crazy corkscrew shot. I wanted to see more of it.
To summarize, I enjoyed my time playing it. I much prefer a game that plays fresh with poor art/audio/sound than stern's recent offerings of boring layouts, barren PFs but nice art and effects. I think it shoots well. It's just a missed opp in my mind. I really hope AP focuses on these sore spots in their next outing b/c to me they are succeeding in the more challenging aspects and completely failing in the easier ones.